Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport stripped of World's Fastest Car title by Guinness

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 08:28 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Bugatti Veyron Super Sport stripped of World's Fastest Car title by Guinness

Bugatti Veyron Super Sport stripped of World's Fastest Car title by Guinness

Last week, the Hennessey Venom GT laid claim (unofficially) to the world's fastest production car with a top speed of 265.7 miles per hour, but more importantly, it brought to light that the previous record holder, the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, may have had an unfair advantage. According to Hennessey, the Veyron SS that topped out at 267.8 mph back in 2010 had a modified speed restrictor, and The Sunday Times is reporting that Guinness World Records agrees.

Guinness has apparently stripped the Veyron SS of its title as the report – as well as Hennessey's claim – says that the standard production version of the Veyron SS has its speed limited to 258 mph, but this was altered just for the test to pick up the extra speed. The rules for the record indicate that the record-setting car must be unchanged from what is available to customers. Since the Venom GT's record is still unofficial, the world record for fastest production car reverts back to Shelby SuperCars (SSC) Ultimate Aero with a top speed of 256.1 mph.

In order for the Venom GT to take this title from the Ultimate Aero now, it must attain its average speed over two timed runs. Perhaps more importantly, Hennessey must also build some fifty identical examples of the Venom GT in order for it to qualify as a "production" car. In the short term, at least, that might end up being the taller order.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/08/b...est-car-title/
Old 04-08-13, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

They might (?) be getting a little too picky about the "speed restrictor". A lot of things can affect a car's top speed.....particularly air density/temperature. Official speed-records, like at Bonneville, are run in both directions, to correct for the prevailing wind and road/salt-flat gradient, and an average of the two is computed. But, even on top of that, take the same car, with the same tires/PSI, run it on the same course both ways, correct for the average speed, and, because warm air and humidity reduce air density (and an engine's potential HP) , you will usually get lower top speeds on warmer and/or more humid days than on cooler, drier ones. Aerodynamics, of course, also plays a role. The fact that colder, drier air is more dense, producing more engine power, sometimes also works against top speed by creating more air-resistance than in warm, humid air. So, given the complexity of a number of factors, they seem to be trying to make the speed restrictor the primary scapegoat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 09:22 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

I wouldn't call it a scapegoat. If the rules say "identical to production versions sold to customers" and the version tested is NOT identical to the for-sale version, it makes perfect sense. This goes doubly so when the change made from the production model is directly responsible for the record being set (ie it would have been impossible without the modification). It's not like they're disqualifying it because the one they tested had a different color start button than he ones for sale.
Old 04-08-13, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I wouldn't call it a scapegoat. If the rules say "identical to production versions sold to customers" and the version tested is NOT identical to the for-sale version, it makes perfect sense.
Yes, in that sense, I agree, but my point was that other, sometimes more significant factors are also at work.
Old 04-08-13, 11:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather have a Veyron SS over a modified Lotus kit-car designed and modified by a low-life swindler named John Hennessey

*I get the feeling that even up to this day, the Viper community still cannot forget the treachery and deceit that has been committed by that individual*
Old 04-08-13, 12:17 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Whoa, so whats the story behind the negativity towards John Hennessey?
Old 04-08-13, 01:25 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think blackraven is referring to this story:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...per-guy-34744/

Even with that story, as a little kid, the Viper was my favorite car. Seeing the Hennessey, who was created from a very notable Viper tuner, "claim fastest" car brings back good feelings.

In case you didnt want to read that long story:

Hennessey has a motor tuning shop in Houston, TX. Man 1 sent 142k to Hennessey to upgrade his Viper by the end of July. July rolls round and the car has not been upgraded. Man 1 accused Hennessey of unauthorized selling of car parts.

Man 2 sent 22k to upgrade his Viper. When he got his new Viper back, it had damaged parts from "experiments" Hennessey was doing on the car.

Man 3 complained about computer problems in the car after upgrades.

Man 4 had to complain for 8 months to get Hennessey to put a proper wing/paint proper stripes on the car.

Man 5 was promised new cams, but received used ones. Filed complaint, received no money from Hennessey, but got his refund from his credit card company.

Man 6 ordered 8.5k worth of parts. Not all of them fit. They were promised to ship in 5 wks, but took 6 months.

Man 7 ordered 140k worth of upgrades. Instead of getting a stoker motor, he only got heads and cams. He didn't get what he ordered.

A former employee says that Hennessey treats out of state customers as second class, rushing to fill Texas orders. If an out of state customer complained, he would just let the car sit.

Hennessey denies any wrong doing.

======

Im not taking sides, just posting a summary of a story i found.

Last edited by trexlexus; 04-08-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 03:28 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm too lazy to search right now - does anyone know offhand the reason for the restrictor on the Veyron Super Sport?
Old 04-08-13, 04:14 PM
Stormwind
Racer

venom gt will end up with the same problem as veyron, they will have to put in a speed restricter of some kind to make it safe enough for actual road use. Then there is the real problem of having to make at least 50 units of that car which I don't think there are enough demands for it and the small company don't have the capacity to even make that happen.
Old 04-08-13, 04:17 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'd rather have a Veyron SS over a modified Lotus kit-car designed and modified by a low-life swindler named John Hennessey

*I get the feeling that even up to this day, the Viper community still cannot forget the treachery and deceit that has been committed by that individual*
I personally knew someone that was scammed and paid a lot of money for work that wasn't done. When it happens enough it is hard to forget or forgive.
Old 04-09-13, 10:39 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patgilm
I personally knew someone that was scammed and paid a lot of money for work that wasn't done. When it happens enough it is hard to forget or forgive.
Yup, hence the phrase:
"You've been HENNESSCREWED!!!"
Old 04-10-13, 12:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Now I don't know nor have I personally dealt with Hennessey, but from what I've heard they're pretty much scumbags.

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm too lazy to search right now - does anyone know offhand the reason for the restrictor on the Veyron Super Sport?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the restrictor there to save the tires? I remember hearing somewhere that going above the restrictor speed would severely reduce the life of the tires.
Old 04-10-13, 11:06 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I still don't see the Hennesey Venom as a production car. Its a tuner car built from scratch imho. Basically a boutique car, and why would you give a guy a million dollars + for a car when he has no network of dealers to fix or service the beast, and for a car that has zero heritage. Bugatti is the real deal. Hennesy is not imho. I cant imagine that Hennesey did as much research into the development of the car as VW did with the Veyron. The Veyron was an engineering exercise. The Venom is a bomb attached to a roller skate. LOL. I know its fast but for how long. Can you use it as a daily driver or as a Grad Tourer ?

Kudos for achieving the top speed but I still this Bugatti builds a better car and Im sure they will be responding very very soon with something that will kill the Venom

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-10-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-10-13, 11:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Now I don't know nor have I personally dealt with Hennessey, but from what I've heard they're pretty much scumbags.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the restrictor there to save the tires? I remember hearing somewhere that going above the restrictor speed would severely reduce the life of the tires.
That's all I have ever heard about them too

Last edited by I8ABMR; 04-10-13 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-13, 11:14 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that sucks. its W16 was the worlds fastest for a while

Quick Reply: Bugatti Veyron Super Sport stripped of World's Fastest Car title by Guinness