Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CUVs and Cute-Utes are NOT sports cars.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 09:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
Mark my words: One day a clown who rolled over in what used to be an "SUV" will sue the manufacturer because the idiot is now paralyzed. His claim will be: They call it a "sports vehicle" so I drove it like it's a sports vehicle so it's their fault.

This is not really the main point yet. The main point is that in this land of the stupid, a jury will one day award the idiot 100 billion bucks.
I don't know if you are old enough or not to have been driving in the late 80s and early-90s, when the Suzuki Samurai was widely sold here, but it set a record for rollover-related class-action suits. Its center-of-gravity (not to mention some of its other features as well) ranked among the worst on a relatively modern production vehicle. Consumer Reports warned aganist its purchase.

Old 04-06-13, 01:44 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
When I used to drive really good handling sports cars...........Nissan GTR and WRX STi, I always love watching jackasses in their high center-of-gravity vehicles (Trucks, SUVs, minivans....etc) try to follow me thru the turns, I take them at full speed and they follow (usually young guys probably in their parent's fancy SUVs), in the middle of the turn, they realized they would crash if they keep it up, so they had to slow down.

One guy in an Escalade almost roll it when he was trying to pass me in a high speed turn when I was driving my Nissan GTR, he was really sure that his Escalade can pass a GTR turning at full speed.............he was really trying, it was fun seeing how much his high profile tires rolling onto it's sidewall.................I was getting ready to watch a truck roll over.......he got control of it at the end though, so no show for me
I've had this happen before when I was driving on the freeway in my IS300. A pickup truck was trying to follow me through a junction. He completely lost control and crashed into the concrete barrier.
Old 04-06-13, 06:04 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

This thread should come standard as part of the owner's manual when buyers choose to buy this:
Old 04-07-13, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
This thread should come standard as part of the owner's manual when buyers choose to buy this:
Hard to tell, though, with Lambos. As their price-tags would suggest, they use a lot of expensive and exotic lightweight materials in their construction, perhaps enough that the center-of-gravity might not be affected that much even on the raised-height versions. We see that, to a lesser extent, with the Porsche Cayenne, which also has excellent handling for an SUV. But, everyday, reasonably-priced CUVs/Cute-Utes (the kind I'm generally refering to in this thread), for obvious reasons, can't be designed like that or use those kinds of materials.
Old 04-07-13, 10:41 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Ya but i thought your whole point of the thread was CUVs are not sports cars. I mean, to whatever extent the Cayenne is engineered to, physics makes it so that the Carrera GT is a better handling car right?

Hehe. Was just making a joke with the Urus.
Old 04-08-13, 08:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ya but I thought your whole point of the thread was CUVs are not sports cars. I mean, to whatever extent the Cayenne is engineered to, physics makes it so that the Carrera GT is a better handling car right?
The Cayenne is not your typical CUV by any means. Not only does it cost 2-3 times that of a typical CUV, but, of course, despite the higher center of gravity, is heavily sport-oriented as well. You could also say the same, to an extent, for the SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 04-08-13, 09:50 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Several years ago we had a number of new young members on the RX forum (back when it was just ONE), who'd just inherited mommy's RX (we called these "legacy" owners) and were wanting to mod it to handle like an F40. I always suggested a few mods to personalize the car, like a killer sound system, rims, or a repaint in the color of choice - but no performance mods that would attempt to change the basic "comfortable cruiser" personality of the car.

It just isn't possible to turn a CUV into a road racer - any more than it is to turn it into a boat or an airplane. You just have to deal with it . . . or tell Mom to buy you a Ferrari. I know if I'd ask that of MY parents, I wouldn't have survived to post this.
Old 04-08-13, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Richard

Now that I ran out of kids to give that ES away to, I am stuck with it because it is in a perfect condition and to my wife it's just fine and no amount of facts will convince her to replace it with LS.
If the ES is still running fine, there's probably no overriding reason to replace it...unless she just gets tired of it and wants something else. LS money, particularly for a new one, is definitely not chump-change.
Old 04-08-13, 01:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This thing will out handle most normal low center of gravity cars on the street...................
Old 04-08-13, 01:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I've had this happen before when I was driving on the freeway in my IS300. A pickup truck was trying to follow me through a junction. He completely lost control and crashed into the concrete barrier.
Nice..............that must be fun to watch. Hopefully he learned a lesson.
Old 04-08-13, 02:30 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
Nice..............that must be fun to watch. Hopefully he learned a lesson.
I didn't even know he was trying to follow me through the junction until I heard a big THUD and bang and looked at my rear view mirror.
Old 04-08-13, 04:04 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
I didn't even know he was trying to follow me through the junction until I heard a big THUD and bang and looked at my rear view mirror.
He probably thought "i could keep up with this lexus..."

My buddy had an IS300...that thing cornered as good as my G35 coupe. Wow.