Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS350 vs the Lexus ES350 . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 09:01 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default GS350 vs the Lexus ES350 . . . .

So I was at the dealer a few days ago picking up parts for my 92 SC300, in the showroom they had a new ES and GS sitting side by side.

I of course being curious had a good look around them to compare.

The ES was fully loaded with $10,000 worth of options and stickered at $46,000. It was a rather dull grey/silver color with a black interior. I'm sure it had some bells and whistles the GS didn't have, but I could care less about things that automate the driving process like radar guided cruise control, blind spot monitoring, lane depature warning, brake assist, etc, etc, etc.

The GS was a base model, nicely optioned with a sunroof, navigation, heated/cooled seats, and the cool 18" wheel option with summer tires. Stickered at $53,000 This car was a very pretty navy blue with a two tone black/dark grey leather interior. Granted it wasn't loaded to the gills, but it had all the toys I'd want on a new luxury car.

Sitting in these two cars, I noticed two HUGE things. The jump in fit/finish from the ES to the GS was HUGE. The ES was nice, but for $46,000 it did not impress me. It felt like a SLIGHTLY nicer version of my mom's fully optioned Camry SE v6 with the two tone black/grey suede seat option. The GS interior was just way nicer. Everything, from the control/dash layout, to the way the wood was done, to the color selections, to the switchgear, to the quality of the plastics and leather, it just seemed like a total notch above.

The 2nd thing I noticed was how much more room there was in the back seat of the ES. It was really nice to have that type of stretch out room back there on a long trip. The GS rear seat was tighter, but it wasn't unreasonable IMO, I still felt perfectly comfortable, but then again I'm pretty short at 5'8".

Just saying for $7,000 more, you buy a HELL of a lot more car with the GS. I'd much rather have a proper RWD chassis that is fun to drive than an under-steering pig FWD Camry.
Old 04-02-13, 10:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus stopped making the GS430 in 2008.

Did you mean the new 2013 GS350, or the last remaining 2012 GS460?
Old 04-02-13, 10:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For starters we need to change your thread title. GS430 hasn't been around since 2006 in the States.

Secondly, ever since these Lexus direction threads have started popping up within the last couple months and since the release of the 13' ES, I have been crying foul about the materials, fit and finish of the ES. A poor pathetic excuse of a car that does not deserve the L badge. Lexus really dropped the ball on the ES. The GS interior, everything from materials, fit and finish is some of the best I've seen in a Lexus since before the L-Finesse models. Just grand. But gahhh how much I hate you ES 0.o
Old 04-02-13, 10:21 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another GS vs. ES battle..
Old 04-02-13, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Yet another GS vs. ES battle..
And Lexus is winning. How are those M sales lmfao.

Old 04-02-13, 10:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Can we start a petition for LEXUS KILL THE ES and SAVE THE GS!
Old 04-02-13, 10:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Can we start a petition for LEXUS KILL THE ES and SAVE THE GS!
Both cars are selling well. Can we petition for people to understand sales goals?

Old 04-02-13, 11:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Both cars are selling well. Can we petition for people to understand sales goals?
Pls explain how current GS is selling well?

3GS sold at better #s and Lexus wanted to drop it due to poor sales, current generation is doing worse and yet now those same execs are happy? You can't be serious.

Btw the lease rates on 3GS were MUCH HIGHER as well.

Again what car maker introduces any model with LOWER sales expectations than the previous generation, which is what i presume Lexus has done based on your posts.
Old 04-03-13, 02:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The ES serves a great niche for the conservative executive class, grandmas, real estate agents, people who don't care about having fun in a car, or people who want a luxury ride without making a huge statement or standing out. The ES is smart, affordable luxury and sells very well to these people.
The GS on the other hand is in a whole different bracket, appealing to a different type of buyer. I believe each model is needed.
Old 04-03-13, 04:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

3GS sold at better #s and Lexus wanted to drop it due to poor sales, current generation is doing worse and yet now those same execs are happy? You can't be serious.

Again what car maker introduces any model with LOWER sales expectations than the previous generation, which is what i presume Lexus has done based on your posts.
i have a feeling that this new GS will sell better overall than 3GS, during the span of 6 years. Plus, they raised prices overall, so it is probably more profitable for Lexus.

and as to the OP, real difference in price is $11000-$12000, yes, a lot of zeros buys you a lot of luxury :-)
Old 04-03-13, 05:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 611 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and as to the OP, real difference in price is $11000-$12000, yes, a lot of zeros buys you a lot of luxury :-)
Actually, it's more if you need it to drive in snow. Yes, I'm one of "those" that actually bought a 2013 ES. I could not justify the huge increase to get an AWD GS. I am very much happy with my decision and have zero issues with the interior. I think it's the best in its class. You want more, you pay more.
Old 04-03-13, 07:00 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It's funny when people think businesses are doing it primarily to make customers happy, instead of making profit.
Old 04-03-13, 07:37 AM
LexFather

Unless I'm speaking another language, the GS selling 23,200 or so vs a 24,000 sales goal is pretty good. Maybe if they sold 4 cylinder GS' cars here like yours it would sell better.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's funny when people think businesses are doing it primarily to make customers happy, instead of making profit.
The internetz..... what I think is sad is people trying to create some division between ES/GS as of late when since we have been here both cars/owners have happily co-existed. Not sure why some want to bash them both and act like they are offering solutions. Owners seem to be happy, Lexus seems to be happy, sideline quarterbacks are very unhappy

Old 04-03-13, 08:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Actually, it's more if you need it to drive in snow. Yes, I'm one of "those" that actually bought a 2013 ES. I could not justify the huge increase to get an AWD GS. I am very much happy with my decision and have zero issues with the interior. I think it's the best in its class. You want more, you pay more.
yep... exactly.. I think it is rather crazy to think that people will buy 12k-15k more expensive car if ES was not around... what would happen is that people would buy another car in 40k-45k range and not $60k Lexus.
Old 04-03-13, 11:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My point was $46k for an ES vs $53k for the new GS, it seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Lexus IMO really has the GS350 aggresively priced. Option out an E class or BMW 535i and the sticker is somewhere between 60-70k.

Quick Reply: GS350 vs the Lexus ES350 . . . .