Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hail protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 08:36 AM
swiedom
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hail protection

Anyone out there do anything for hail protection? If so what do you do? And before everyone says put it in my garage, I already have 2 other cars and a motorcycle in my 2 stall garage.
Old 03-30-13, 08:47 AM
swiedom
Rookie

Thought this was cool. Doesn't seem readily available in the US though. Other than something innovative like this the only thing seems to be blankets.
Old 03-30-13, 09:22 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you see a lot of hail in your area?
Old 03-30-13, 09:26 AM
swiedom
Rookie

Originally Posted by passnu2
Sure do. Lots of friends and co-workers have had hail damage. I have been lucky but feel I am on borrowed time now.
Old 03-30-13, 09:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Since I don't have a garage at my own house, when a storm, on radar, looks it is going to be severe, with hail and/or tree-branches down, I often just ride the storm out at a local concrete parking-garage (the nearest ones I can get to before the storm hits). They can often be found at malls, large subway/mass-transit stops, public-buildings, etc..... You don't always have to pay to get in and out, either, depending on the design of the garage and the hours it is in effect.

Originally Posted by passnu2
The OP is from TX.....a classic breeding-ground for severe storms, especially from early spring to early summer. Hailstorms are possible almost anywhere in the state, but especially in the Panhandle and Amarillo-Lubbock regions, part of the notorious Great Plains "Tornado Alley", where hailstones the size of tennis-***** are occasionally noted.
Old 03-30-13, 12:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

A car cover will provide decent protection against small to medium hail and some from larger hail, if it looks like it is going to be severe I agree with mmarshal, find a covered garage or covered shopping mall and just park there and ride it out if you can. I have done that a few times. I have a little hail chip damage on my windshield from a hailstorm I got caught in outside of Chattanooga, scary stuff to drive through. I thought for sure my windshield was going to shatter at any moment.
Old 03-30-13, 01:10 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of my friend puts up a cabana when he knows a bad storm is going to come. Not the best protection, but better than nothing

mmarshall idea is the best, but kind of a hassle haha
Old 04-01-13, 05:42 AM
swiedom
Rookie

Originally Posted by edgeucated
One of my friend puts up a cabana when he knows a bad storm is going to come. Not the best protection, but better than nothing

mmarshall idea is the best, but kind of a hassle haha
I was actually thinking the same thing after doing some research. I would put some concrete anchors in the driveway to secure the cabana so it doesn't blow away and for easy assembly.
Old 04-02-13, 11:30 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend in texas lays a thick old comforter under his waterproof car cover and secures that anytime there is a threat. Worked for him for over 15 years.
Old 04-02-13, 11:34 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Yikes I'm glad I live in SoCal! But the parking structure would be your best bet!
Old 04-02-13, 11:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
My friend in texas lays a thick old comforter under his waterproof car cover and secures that anytime there is a threat. Worked for him for over 15 years.
Padding like a comforter might work for some small-to-medium size hailstones, but if you get large hail (say, quarter-size or more) and/or tree branches and/or other debris coming down from the wind, that's another story.