Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 05:24 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I've now seen enough of the new MDXs on the road to have a better impression of them.

The outgoing MDX was big and bold and had a lot of road presence. The new one is much more understated, and it's very difficult to tell it from its smaller brother the RDX. Doesn't stand out nearly as much, which is bad. They seemed to have "feminized" it, similar to the 2nd generation Infiniti FX vs. the muscular and brawny looking 1st generation FX model. And the "Jewel Eye" headlights are not the least bit distinctive on the road. They don't look any better than the higher model Honda Accords that have LED running lights, and especially don't distinguish themselves like BMW angel eyes do, or especially the Audi lighting designs. Jaguars, and the Tesla Model S all have nice and distinctive designs. Even some VWs and other basic non-luxury model cars have nice and distinctive LED designs. Does a straight strip of LEDs really pass at the luxury level? I don't think so. Need to get more creative than that. Some newer Mercedes are using orange LED lighting around the main headlamps in a distinctive shape, to set it apart from the sea of white LED lighting.

So overall, at least in the exterior looks department, pretty disappointing.

All of that money dumped into these Jewel Eye headlights just to not look anymore distinctive than a Honda Accord.

Sigh.
I really wanted to like the new MDX, and even considered waiting for it to come out before I bought a family hauler (couldn't wait though). But after seeing it in person, I have to agree with your aesthetic assessment Steve. I thought the same as you after seeing it in person. It looks more round and soft, and the wheels just appear to have a higher offset. I'm sure it is a great vehicle and serves its purpose well, but I agree that appearance wise it misses the mark.
Old 10-30-13, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's very flexible to boot. Easy access to the third row. Not a fan of the bunny ear third row headrests though hah
Yeah I don't care for those headrests either...

Theres some other vehicle that has similar headrests in the third row, I can't remember what it is...
Old 10-30-13, 05:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah I don't care for those headrests either...

Theres some other vehicle that has similar headrests in the third row, I can't remember what it is...
iirc and it might not be the ones you're thinking of, but the LR3/4 and newer Highlander have bunny ear style third row seat headrests
Old 10-30-13, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

good review i found here, focusing on (major) number of changes from '13 to '14. particularly surprised it says "the number of hard buttons on the center stack has been reduced from 41 to 9" ! i still think it's ridiculous though that to get adaptive cruise you have to get a rear seat entertainment package.

NEW YORK—My instructions were pretty simple. Come back from an East Coast introduction to the 2014 Acura MDX luxury SUV with the answer to this question:

“Do we buy a leftover 2013 MDX or wait a few months for the 2014 to go on sale?”
The question came the Acura wing of my family—my son-in-law and daughter. Their garage contains:
1. A 2004 Acura TL with 150,000 miles and a broken air-conditioning unit that needs a $1500 repair.
2. A 2010 MDX.
Their plan is to replace the TL with another MDX.
They could save some serious cash (and waiting time) by purchasing a leftover.
My verdict, however, is to opt for the 2014 even though it means son-in-law Steve has at least six more weeks of driving without A/C.
The simple reason for my feeling—also known as putting the ‘bottom line’ up near the top—is that the new third-generation MDX is THAT much improved over its predecessor.
Such improvement becomes more impressive when you consider the MDX already was at the top of the heap in the competitive world of mid-sized luxury SUVs.
In this situation, it always helps to seek some sage advice (couldn’t resist this bad pun) from Acura’s senior public relations manager Sage Marie.
His take: “Especially where your family keeps their Acuras for so long, they’ll want to have the latest technology from the beginning instead of starting off with the outgoing technology.”
That technology is represented in every area of the new MDX—including lighting, safety, warning systems, body materials, suspension, steering, fuel economy, interior upgrades features, and infotainment systems.
Stylewise, Acura’s engineers opted for an evolutionary approach with the most visible changes being “Jewel Eye” LED headlights, front running lights, and tail lights. The headlights increase down-the-road visibility by 75 feet.
Manhattan seemed to be an unlikely location for a “first drive,” but Acura had the logistics figured out. It was only several blocks through mid-town traffic, then a traffic-free 50-mile drive out the Henry Hudson Parkway and north along the Hudson River to Garrison, NY.
On the road, the 3.5-liter V-6 with direct injection and six-speed automatic transmission performed flawlessly. It’s rated at 290 horsepower and 267 lb.-ft. of torque. The all-wheel-drive model is rated at 18 miles per gallon in city driving and has a 6 mpg increase to a 27 mpg rating on the highway. The two-wheel-drive variant is rated at 20 mpg city and 28 highway.
Acura increased fuel economy with improved aerodynamics and power-train efficiency, by shaving 250 pounds from the vehicle, and lowering both friction and rolling resistance.
In looking for ways to increase the market for the MDX, Acura is adding a 2WD version for 2014, eyeing increased Sunbelt sales. Main competitors are Audi’s Q7, the BMW X5, Infiniti JX35, and Lexus RX 350.
Acura’s market studies showed that current MDX owners were happy with the overall package, but wanted improvement in the interior (better materials, simplified controls, road and wind noise), better steering feel, and improved ingress and legroom for the third row.
In my daughter’s second-generation MDX, it’s pretty much impossible for an adult to crawl past the second-row seat to the third row, where you then find a lack of legroom.
The third generation does a pretty good job of fixing this.
Overall, the new MDX is two inches longer with a three-inch longer wheelbase. Acura used increased interior room to give the second row a six-inch low-resistance sliding feature that gives an additional 4.5 inches of space to access the third row. That makes it easy for a youngster to get back there and something that’s do-able for an adult.
Trim levels start with the well-equipped base MDX, which offers (among a long list of features), touch screen, push-button start, heated seats, and rear view camera. The Tech version adds blind spot warning, forward collision warning, lane departure warning, rain-sensing wipers, navigation, and upgraded ELS audio. The Tech/Entertainment adds rear entertainment, heated rear seats, rear window shades, and a 150-watt inverter.
Go for the advanced entertainment package and add a lane-keeping assist system, front and rear parking sensors, low-speed following technology, adaptive cruise control, remote starting, a 16.2-inch split rear screen among other goodies.
Sometimes engineering advances are hard to explain but we saw three we liked:
1. The slightly larger rear cargo area is reconfigured to handle larger objects. There’s also a larger under-deck compartment in the rear.
2. The rear suspension has fewer connection points to the frame, allowing for the redesigned rear suspension and better noise and vibration control.
3. The front wheels are designed to shatter instead of being able to intrude into the passenger cabin in the event of an offset front crash.
The number of “hard” buttons on the center stack has been reduced from 41 to 9; however, there are additional touch-screen buttons and the option to use voice recognition and steering wheel controls.
An aside to daughter Sandy: The center console looks to be big enough to hold your purse—though you’ll have to open it to buy this MDX.
A well-equipped base 2WD MDX will go for $43,185 (including destination) while a loaded top-of-the-line AWD will go for $57,400. The most common version in this projects to be the AWD with the tech package, would list at $49,460.
http://www.boston.com/cars/2013/06/1...inglepage.html
Old 10-30-13, 07:17 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice changes and improvements. I'm not poo-pooing any of this at all, other than that it just looks dull and completely uninspiring. Yes, I do like the design of the Infiniti JX35 or QX60 or whatever the heck it's called now, and even the Ford Explorer a lot better. Will take a pass on the RX350 also. Haven't liked the looks of them for awhile. I'm guessing they'll spruce it up again for the MMC/refresh version in a few years.

oh...

His take: “Especially where your family keeps their Acuras for so long, they’ll want to have the latest technology from the beginning instead of starting off with the outgoing technology.”
If you keep a car for a long-time, you're best off with the previous model, which is mature and will have all of the design kinks worked out. Consumer Reports studies have proven that first model year designs always have more issues both when new, and continue to have more issues over the entire life of the car 5-10 years down the road than the second or third year of a generation do. Especially with the outgoing model, you'll get a nice simple and reliable port-injected engine that will probably run just fine with timing belt changes for hundreds of thousands of miles, whereas the new direct-injected one is going to be prone to carbon deposit/crud build-up that will probably need to be addressed at a huge expense at some point.
Old 10-30-13, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Consumer Reports studies have proven that first model year designs always have more issues both when new, and continue to have more issues over the entire life of the car 5-10 years down the road...
it isn't always true. my '06 explorer is the first year of its generation and it's been great.

plus, there are down sides to buying the last year of the previous model - a) you get old tech, b) you may get a 'bargain' in buying it, you'll take the hit on resale, and c) newer cars are SO much better put together and more efficient than older ones.
Old 10-30-13, 07:33 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it isn't always true. my '06 explorer is the first year of its generation and it's been great.

plus, there are down sides to buying the last year of the previous model - a) you get old tech, b) you may get a 'bargain' in buying it, you'll take the hit on resale, and c) newer cars are SO much better put together and more efficient than older ones.
CR rates the 06 Explorer as worse than the 07, which is worse than the 08. The 04 and 05 (mature designs late in the lifecycle) are also rated better than the 06.

a) New tech isn't always better than old tech (direct injection carbon build-up concerns)
b) There isn't really a "resale hit" on the last year of a body style. Pretty linear progression based on age and mileage for most all cars.
c) designs/build quality can go up or down. Just depends where the manufacturer is at and what they're trying to achieve. Newer VWs are junky as far as interior materials vs. older ones. Trying to bring the prices down to increase sales, and apparently doing a pretty good job!
Old 10-30-13, 08:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I mean, the bottom line is that they sell. I drove the new MDX and liked it a lot. Is it exciting to look at? Not really but then, is this exciting to look at?

Is this exciting to look at?

Is this exciting?

These things are luxurious people haulers, thats what people want. For 90% of buyers the decision between all of these comes down to the interior and how well people and stuff fit into it. I've driven all these vehicles as I'm sort of in the market for a 3 row crossover and to me...the winner is the QX60...despite the fact that its hideous and has a CVT. Close second is the MDX, but the third row isn't as accommodating as the QX60. As for Lexus...well they don't even have anything that competes.

So...you can't really blame Acura for playing to the audience that buys their product. And...they're selling a lot of the product.
The RX is and remains *by far* the market leader. You just destroyed your own argument by talking about 3rd row seating. Most buyers in the luxury crossover segment DO NOT want a 3rd row. Lexus has the GX and LX with 3rd rows for those that really need it, but in terms of crossovers the RX has not had a 3rd row because the market has not really desired it.

Now will the RX get a 3rd row in the future? Doubtful, but who knows. Will the GX get replaced by a 3-row unibody crossover? We'll see.

Lexus market data though shows that buyers in the RX segment mostly don't want a 3rd row, and would rather have the extra cargo room.

As for what's "most exciting", the RX to me is exciting to look at, far and away more exciting than anything in its class.

Also I can and I will blame Acura for anything I see fit. Acura is a joke of a brand, and Honda as a company has been a circus show for over 10 years now. As a former Honda fan, Honda is a disgrace to me, but I won't beat that dead horse.
Old 10-30-13, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The RX is and remains *by far* the market leader.
I'm not denying that. At what point did I contrast the MDX with the RX?!? Any comparison between the RX and MDX come from you, not me.

You just destroyed your own argument by talking about 3rd row seating. Most buyers in the luxury crossover segment DO NOT want a 3rd row. Lexus has the GX and LX with 3rd rows for those that really need it, but in terms of crossovers the RX has not had a 3rd row because the market has not really desired it.
I think that segment is changing though. If you look at the success vehicles like the QX60, MDX & the new Explorer have had in that segment at that price point, I think Lexus would be foolish not to either make the RX 3 rows or replace the GX with a 3 row crossover that can be had well equipped under $50k. The GX and LX are different segments, more expensive, truck based with less adaptable interiors.

I'm a buyer in this segment, I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I go to a crossover from the Jeep, its going to be three rows. If its not three rows I'll stay in something more fun and capable. I would never consider an RX. My Jeep for the go anywhere ability and style, something like an X5 or Infiniti FX for sportiness...but an RX is basically just an ES with a hatch. An MDX may be no more exciting...but at least I can carry 7 people.

Lexus market data though shows that buyers in the RX segment mostly don't want a 3rd row, and would rather have the extra cargo room.
When the third row is stowed, an MDX, QX60, etc has more cargo room than an RX. Thats the beauty of storable third rows. They sure sell a lot of three row luxury crossovers for it being something "most buyers don't want". The RX is not especially roomy, the cargo area is considerably smaller than my Jeep...which is also not especially roomy.

As for what's "most exciting", the RX to me is exciting to look at, far and away more exciting than anything in its class.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I see nothing "exciting" about the RX, its a plain, bordering on awkward, mommy-mobile. To me thats kind of like saying a Honda Odyssey is exciting looking. The RX may be a very competent and successful vehicle...but its not an exciting vehicle that would appeal to an enthusiast.

Anyways...my point was nothing in that segment is exciting, except maybe an X5...maybe...Porsche Cayenne.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-30-13 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 09:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I think that segment is changing though. If you look at the success vehicles like the QX60, MDX & the new Explorer have had in that segment at that price point, I think Lexus would be foolish not to either make the RX 3 rows or replace the GX with a 3 row crossover that can be had well equipped under $50k. The GX and LX are different segments, more expensive, truck based with less adaptable interiors.

I'm a buyer in this segment, I own a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I go to a crossover from the Jeep, its going to be three rows. If its not three rows I'll stay in something more fun. I would never consider an RX.

When the third row is stowed, an MDX, QX60, etc has more cargo room than an RX. Thats the beauty of storable third rows. They sure sell a lot of three row luxury crossovers for it being something "most buyers don't want".

We'll have to agree to disagree. I see nothing "exciting" about the RX, its a plain, bordering on awkward, mommy-mobile. To me thats kind of like saying a Honda Odyssey is exciting looking. The RX may be a very competent and successful vehicle...but its not an exciting vehicle that would appeal to an enthusiast.

Anyways...my point was nothing in that segment is exciting, except maybe an X5...maybe...Porsche Cayenne.
Cool, but you're coming from a full-size Jeep, so you're not the typical buyer in the luxury crossover market.

Also who are you trying to kid? The Explorer does not compete in this segment. At all. As for the MDX and QX60, their sales are still a fraction of RX sales.

The whole point is, even with the 3rd row stowed, these are VERY big crossovers, considerably bigger than the RX. The stowed 3rd row has to take up space somewhere in the vehicle, it doesn't disappear into thin air. The RX, for most customers, is the ideal combination of utility and maneuverability with it's practical size.

Will Lexus enter the market with a 3-row luxury crossover? We'll see. Lexus has been rumored to be entering that market segment since 2004/2005, but they have yet to enter it.

What we do know is that a sub-RX small crossover, the NX, is coming. Now that is an important market segment because those are big sellers in Europe, and it's a growing market in North America as well.
Old 10-30-13, 09:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Cool, but you're coming from a full-size Jeep, so you're not the typical buyer in the luxury crossover market.

Also who are you trying to kid? The Explorer does not compete in this segment. At all. As for the MDX and QX60, their sales are still a fraction of RX sales.
The Jeep is smaller than an MDX, its similar in size to an RX...slightly bigger. Price point is similar in the upper trims. The Jeep gets cross shopped with all these vehicles...I see the owners and where they come from on the Jeep forum.

As for the Explorer...I think you'd be surprised. A loaded Explorer is $50,000. Its right in there. People buy them...

As for sales...they may not sell as many units as the RX, but they are significant sellers. Lexus certainly won't even have a shot at my $50,000. They sell about 4,500 MDX's a month...2,500 or so QX60s...thats a sizable potential market for Lexus when the GX doesn't even break 1k units a month anymore. If they can replace the GX with something that sells 3k units a month thats a victory IMHO.

When you factor in that Acura has the RDX AND MDX, 4,500 sales for the MDX and 3,000 for the RDX, add them up and Acura's SUV sales equal those of the RX.

The whole point is, even with the 3rd row stowed, these are VERY big crossovers, considerably bigger than the RX. The stowed 3rd row has to take up space somewhere in the vehicle, it doesn't disappear into thin air.
They're not that big. The MDX is 6.5 inches longer than the RX. The seat folds into the floor, so maybe you loose some height, but its made up for in length. The MDX' cargo volume is 90.0 cu/ft. the RX's is only 80.3...so you get 10 cu/ft more space in the MDX despite having the third row that lets you carry two more people if you want to...all with only 6 inches more length. To me thats a significant difference in utility in a vehicle that has "utility" in its name. My guess is you haven't driven an MDX, but it doesn't feel bigger than the RX on the road. The QX does.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-30-13 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 06:17 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Acura MDX Priced from $43,460

Acura has announced that its 2015 MDX will have a starting price of $43,460 including destination.

The 2015 Acura MDX will go on sale starting June 3 and will be available in two-wheel and Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) trim. Under the hood of the Acura MDX is the company’s 3.5-liter i-VTEC V6 engine with 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. In two-wheel drive form, the MDX is rated at 20 mpg city and 28 mpg highway while with SH-AWD it achieves 18 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.

The MDX with the Technology Package will start from $47,735, while adding the Entertainment Package will cost an additional $2,000. The MDX with Advance Package has a starting price of $55,675. Those interested in adding SH-AWD will have to pay 2,000 additional.

The 2015 Acura MDX includes Smart Entry with Push Button Start, Jewel Eye LED headlights, exterior and interior LED lighting, an eight-inch infotainment screen, expanded view driver’s mirror and a powerful 432-watt sound system. Adding the Advance Package equips the MDX with Lane Keeping Assist System, Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow, remote engine start, an Ultra-Wide DVD rear entertainment system and front and rear parking sensors.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ced-43460.html
Old 06-03-14, 02:52 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't look bad. I think I have to try and test drive one of those. I doubt it can get as Luxurious and Plush as the RX though
Old 06-03-14, 05:23 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What's different from '14?
Old 06-03-14, 08:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm a little lost here. The "new" MDX has been out and on the road for quite a while. What's making it "all new" all of a sudden?

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled