Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-13, 11:23 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Lol what?! Not at all. The MDX is marginally bigger than the RX, offered 30 more hp and worse fuel economy than the gas RX. Where's the MDX Hybrid? RXh wipes the floor with its competition. MDX is soundly assembled, but it's materials are not a match to the RX's. The window switches in the MDX and ZDX are straight from a Pilot. MDX has always handled better because of SH-AWD whereas most other Utes have a part-time or on demand AWD system. The MDX is a sound competent vehicle and the bread and butter (at least up until now) for Acura sales (sadly cause it was their most desirable vehicle ) but a step above?! lol now that's funny.
[/QUOTE]

I have sat and driven both, in no way is there a night a day difference between the two interior quality wise, not sure what vehicles you were sitting in. Maybe you just highly favor Lexus interior designs and the materials they use that you think most everything else is inferior when it may just be different. The quality/assembly seems mostly equal, I did notice the doors on the MDX have a higher quality look and feel. Since the dashes are so different in design, look, and layout it is very subjective to try to say what is better/higher quality. Many agree the MDX interior looks more prestigious and significant based on higher price/good sales, I find the RX interior looks kind of plain, not a fan of the shifter located on the dash either, that looks more like a minivan/sport hatch design. The biggest knock against the MDX interior is all the buttons which is not a issue anymore, not the quality. The MDX interior looks and feels nothing like a Pilot, if they share window switches, big deal, Lexus shares buttons and switches with Toyota's too. The RX has pretty much the same exact drivetrain/power as the highlander, the MDX has always been a big step up in power and sophistication over the Pilot. The MDX has rear seat climate controls, never seen a RX with that, etc.

I have never seen a review or comparison between the two(they are rarely compared to each other) that said the RX has a nicer /superior interior compared to the MDX. Has the Acura MDX ever lost a comparo or been even compared to a KIA Sorento? Most reviews I see of the MDX have it going against the X5, Lexus GX, Audi Q7, LandRover, once or twice even a Porsche Cayanne where I rarely see the RX compared to those more prestigious vehicles, a BMW exec even said a few years ago the MDX was superior to the X5 and has caused them to go back to the drawing boards. The MDX was tuned and designed to compete with more premium vehicles then the Lexus RX and it is not often mentioned with the Lexus RX, but the Lexus GX although I think it is more between those vehicles then a direct competitor for the v8 truck based GX.

The reason most Lexus vehicles seem like a bigger step up from similar Toyota vehicles is because most Toyota interiors are not as nice as Honda's, especially with the Accord/Camry compared to TL/ES.

The RXh does not wipe the floor with any competition aside from fuel economy, the MDX as of now has no hybrid to challenge it, if/when the MDX hybrid comes out it will have a more advanced powertrain, will be more expensive, will be larger, and it will have at least 350hp or more compared to the sub 300hp on the RXh.

Don't know if you are criticizing the MDX for being Acura's bread and butter when the RX is Lexus's bread and butter too, both models are the companies biggest sellers most years.

I am not knocking the RX, it is a very good vehicle and a huge success, you can see how KIA blatantly copied it with the Sorento, the RX300 created and has dominated the premium 2 row CUV market, the only other vehicle to challenge the RX300 at the time was the Mercedes ML and it was a utter POS. I am not saying they are both not cross shopped and there is a huge difference but the 3 row MDX is a larger more premium vehicle then the RX, it always has been and this new larger MDX does further the gap even more.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests

Last edited by UDel; 03-31-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-31-13, 11:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

From its Road Tests CR rates the MDX and RX very close.

RX450h (88)
MDX (85)
RX 350 (79)
Old 03-31-13, 01:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
MDX and RX are same class, MDX is just longer, trying to be outside its price class by offering more for same. But overall, its like if you stretch IS and call it 5 series competitor.

RDX is about the same size as what NX will probably be.

Live pics make MDX lookg better imho, it looks fine, although rear and profile is very audi... interior is still poor and access to that 3rd row is poor.
Same class--but if you have a larger family or carpool duties, the RX may not cut it, so I don't think there's as much cross shopping as you might expect with head-to-head competitors.

Just go back from the NY Autoshow. Disappointed that the new MDX was on the turntable only, and you couldn't get up close. Couldn't get in the 2014 Highlander either. But the 2015 GTI was open.
Old 03-31-13, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have sat and driven both, in no way is there a night a day difference between the two interior quality wise, not sure what vehicles you were sitting in. Maybe you just highly favor Lexus interior designs and the materials they use that you think most everything else is inferior when it may just be different. The quality/assembly seems mostly equal, I did notice the doors on the MDX have a higher quality look and feel. Since the dashes are so different in design, look, and layout it is very subjective to try to say what is better/higher quality. Many agree the MDX interior looks more prestigious and significant based on higher price/good sales, I find the RX interior looks kind of plain, not a fan of the shifter located on the dash either, that looks more like a minivan/sport hatch design. The biggest knock against the MDX interior is all the buttons which is not a issue anymore, not the quality. The MDX interior looks and feels nothing like a Pilot, if they share window switches, big deal, Lexus shares buttons and switches with Toyota's too. The RX has pretty much the same exact drivetrain/power as the highlander, the MDX has always been a big step up in power and sophistication over the Pilot. The MDX has rear seat climate controls, never seen a RX with that, etc.
Sitting in two 2013 models which I see everyday. I favor higher quality and no this has nothing to do with aesthetics. Assembly has always been a Honda/Acura strong suit, but so has it been for Lexus anything pre 2006-2010, and most 2011 and up. I invite you to sit in a 2013 RX which is better than a 2010. The grab bar on the MDX interior door has a terrible plastic feel as opposed to the RX which although it's not a bar, it's padded. Shifter is subjective so I won't comment. MDX doesn't look like a Pilot, but most of the swtichgear does. Namely again the door locks, window switches, TRAC, Park Assist, Mirror adjustments, and def that fake wood etc. Smaller models like the CT, ES, IS share similar components like window switches and door locks with Toyota's but the RX's are from the GS, HS, GX. The RX performs fine with it's 3.5L V6, but the lack of an 8A throughout full Lexus line still has me (first to pioneer 8 Speeds, last it seems to implement them )

I have never seen a review or comparison between the two(they are rarely compared to each other) that said the RX has a nicer /superior interior compared to the MDX. Has the Acura MDX ever lost a comparo or been even compared to a KIA Sorento? Most reviews I see of the MDX have it going against the X5, Lexus GX, Audi Q7, LandRover, once or twice even a Porsche Cayanne where I rarely see the RX compared to those more prestigious vehicles, a BMW exec even said a few years ago the MDX was superior to the X5 and has caused them to go back to the drawing boards. The MDX was tuned and designed to compete with more premium vehicles then the Lexus RX and it is not often mentioned with the Lexus RX, but the Lexus GX although I think it is more between those vehicles then a direct competitor for the v8 truck based GX.
Can't say I have seen one either. But regardless are they natural competitors and always cross shopped unless someone needs 7 seats. Which is also a reason you'll see the MDX crossed with those real luxury utes based on seating capacity. Everything in there offers a V8 save for the Q7 now which relies on two supercharged V6 mills. And because they are "prestigious" the MDX looks downright dowdy in comparison, which is also why it's far cheaper than any of those.

[quote=UDel;7855708]
The reason most Lexus vehicles seem like a bigger step up from similar Toyota vehicles is because most Toyota interiors are not as nice as Honda's, especially with the Accord/Camry compared to TL/ES./[QUOTE]

Toyotas and Hondas are on par with each other so we'll keep this Lexus and Acura.

Don't know if you are criticizing the MDX for being Acura's bread and butter when the RX is Lexus's bread and butter too, both models are the companies biggest sellers most years.
Not criticizing, merely pointing out the MDX is their most desirable vehicle. Their sedans are lackluster. Unless you're Jeep or Land Rover, it's somewhat disappointing people don't care much about Acura sedans.

I am not knocking the RX, it is a very good vehicle and a huge success, you can see how KIA blatantly copied it with the Sorento, the RX300 created and has dominated the premium 2 row CUV market, the only other vehicle to challenge the RX300 at the time was the Mercedes ML and it was a utter POS. I am not saying they are both not cross shopped and there is a huge difference but the 3 row MDX is a larger more premium vehicle then the RX, it always has been and this new larger MDX does further the gap even more.
To be fair I'm not knocking the MDX either, it's a very capable and competent vehicle especially with it's SH-AWD. No argument that the MDX is larger (not by much), it is a Premium vehicle, but the RX is a Luxury vehicle. The RX has more luxury and refinement than the MDX does, which is why Acura (the whole brand not just the MDX) is not considered a Tier 1 brand.
Old 03-31-13, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i've always liked the rx (and owned first gen) but i've never warmed up to the interior of the current one with the big asymmetric silver 'wedge' in the middle. my neighbor has one so i'm in it fairly regularly, and it's ok, but overall doesn't feel or seem very luxurious. it's by no means 'bad' though - a great and useful cuv as it's always been.

the mdx is decent too, but quite different in function, features, and probably even target market?
Old 03-31-13, 04:41 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a whole it is obvious that Acura and Lexus are in very different spheres. I'm not going to try and pipe up about some strange idea that Acura and Honda are companies a clear direction anymore. They aren't. I bought my MDX as a tow vehicle because I needed it fast and my BMW dealer didn't have any stock with options I was interested. I admired the incredible resale value and planned to sell it quickly. I was left very surprised when I started to like the car more than the RX. It's almost - dare I say it - as much fun to drive in the twisities as the GSh. (Mostly due to steering feel, torque vectoring awesomeness, and you know, actually shifting gears) [I PROMISE I'm not a fanboy, if I were loyal to any brand, Acura would probably be at the bottom of the list for me to represent. These are just my experiences as an owner and customer]

If you spend any significant amount of time driving the MDX and RX back to back I don't understand how you would still say the RX is a more refined or more luxurious vehicle than the MDX. It all starts at the chassis and I can say with confidence that the MDX's is much more rigid than the RX's. In turns or bumps you can feel the RX's chassis flex (the 2RX much more so than the 3RX, but still noticeably different). The facts back it up: the RX is based on a heavily modified Camry frame that is also used in a number of other vehicles. The MDX, however, is based on Honda's light truck platform, home to the Odyssey, Ridgeline, and Pilot. The chassis strength difference here is large, from the sound of the doors closing to the 5000lb towing capacity (compared to the RX's 3500lb). I can say with experience that in towing the difference is much larger than the capacity numbers, the MDX is a much more robust tow vehicle.

On the driving front each car is good for a different type of person. The RX owns the comfort feel. It's something the MDX doesn't and cannot do. Even the fancy electromagnetic dampers seem to just make the MDX wallow in comfort mode, they don't make the ride more comfortable. But throw them into a corner? Even without the advantages of Sh-AWD, the MDX takes the cake. It exhibits less lean, is predictable, and generally doesn't give the sensation that it isn't happy the way the RX does.

If you don't think it was designed to play with the big dogs, I have news for you. I was talking to Lars Moravy, the man in charge of the MDX's suspension design (who is now the manager of Tesla's Chassis Systems group and the designer of the Model S's suspension) at an SAE meeting and he confirmed that the benchmarked car for the MDX was the X5. His goal was to make a car that drove better than the X5. Hours of Nurburgring testing were carried out to make sure that there was no point that the X5 was superior. It was a valuable test because they found and corrected a number of the prototype MDX's issues, mainly due to positive camber issues. I won't even start on the steering - the MDX actually communicates the road surface in a refined way to the driver. Something I really appreciate during more spirited driving and even in mundane snow driving.

As for the interior, I think they are each for different people. I love, love, love remote touch. It is so far and away superior to what Acura has to offer it isn't even funny. Looks are something I won't delve into too much (they're personal) but, I prefer the MDX's shifter location to the way the RX has it way up the dash. The seats are more supportive in the MDX but they give up a bit of leather quality to the RX. The RX offers tech Acura could only dream of (HUD anyone?). But, the big difference here is the availability of the tech. When I was shopping my large dealer didn't have a single RXh with Mark Levinson, let alone one with Radar Cruise, PCS, LED headlights, or any of those goodies. Walk into an Acura dealer now? It's easy to find anything from a base car to a tech car (which essentially has ML) all the way up to the radar cruise, active suspension equipped Advanced model.

Materials are at the least comparable. To me the 3RX's door panels are a huge turn off. Very little soft touch plastic and a large open area devoid of design. Much of the material above the arm rest in the RX is hard, not so in the MDX.

Although the true handling verdict is still out, the new MDX looks to be very competitive with the class. I'm hoping the hybrid really hits it out of the park.

As for my bias? I'm out of the market for both of them at this point. On to the Cayenne!
Old 03-31-13, 06:16 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the interior looks better with the dual screens compared to all those buttons the outgoing model. The exterior doesn't look a whole lot different to me....
Old 03-31-13, 06:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

lucasb7, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed post with opinions from real world experience. appreciate it.
Old 04-01-13, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The pictures of the door panels do show a dramatic difference in favor of the MDX. I don't pay much attention to either model so it is a surprise to me.
Old 04-01-13, 09:30 AM
LexFather

I mean we can nitpick away but obviously the MDX is a hit for Acura and their best offering and the RX clearly created the class, continues to do well etc. The MDX will continue to sell and a FWD model will help keep the price down as well as building it in Alabama.

Hoovey has A TON of experience with automobiles, his opinion should be highly regarded not torn apart.

, I find the RX interior looks kind of plain, not a fan of the shifter located on the dash either, that looks more like a minivan/sport hatch design. The biggest knock against the MDX interior is all the buttons which is not a issue anymore, not the quality. The MDX interior looks and feels nothing like a Pilot, if they share window switches, big deal, Lexus shares buttons and switches with Toyota's too. The RX has pretty much the same exact drivetrain/power as the highlander, the MDX has always been a big step up in power and sophistication over the Pilot. The MDX has rear seat climate controls, never seen a RX with that, etc.
Post invalid. The RX interior is plain? Its one of the most adventurous in any automobile. How is this plain?

How do you knock the RX for sharing with the Highlander than defend the MDX which shares with the Pilot/Odyessy? What kind of logic is that?

You didn't mention any feature the RX has over the MDX, LED headlights for instance. F-sport package. Semi-analine seats. Aluminum trim. You don't need to pay 60k for some cooled seats in the RX like the MDX.

So the MDX shares platforms like the RX, is built in Canada like the RX, is priced like the RX, offers fake wood, no higher grade leather yet is somehow more prestigious? That makes no sense. Yes the MDX offers a more advanced AWD system. Have you seen an MDX at the track? lol

They are competition, one just has 7 seats the other 5. One is slightly sportier, the other is more luxurious. The RX created the class, Acura followed with the MDX. Some like the MDX, some like the RX, some like both, some like neither.

IThe reason most Lexus vehicles seem like a bigger step up from similar Toyota vehicles is because most Toyota interiors are not as nice as Honda's, especially with the Accord/Camry compared to TL/ES.
Or maybe its they don't try hard enough with Acura. Don't try to dismiss Lexus for having been honored by experts for 2 decades for mostly having some of the best interiors around. It has nothing to do with Toyota, it has everything to do with Lexus attempting to be a real luxury marque. If the Accord is that good maybe they should make their luxury brand unquestionably better than the Accord so there are no comparisons. Lexus figured that out 25 years ago.

The RXh does not wipe the floor with any competition aside from fuel economy, the MDX as of now has no hybrid to challenge it, if/when the MDX hybrid comes out it will have a more advanced powertrain, will be more expensive, will be larger, and it will have at least 350hp or more compared to the sub 300hp on the RXh.
So the creator of its class and best selling in class where the competition targets it someone does not wipe the floor with the competition. Have you seen a sales report?

Then you bring up a bunch of speculation about a hybrid mdx that ain't here. What we do know is the MDX will be available in FWD now.

Just like the RX.

Old 04-01-13, 09:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Actually the RX is the odd ball. The RX fits between the RDX and MDX in terms of size (Spwolf is correct though that the RX and MDX are natural competitors), same with it fits between a X3 and a X5. The addition of the smaller Lexus NX will allow the RX to be similarly sized to the MDX in 2014 probably as a 15 model

The new 3.5 in the RLX puts out 310. The MDX with the same engine is 290.
The RX is not the oddball, it was first. It is CRYSTAL CLEAR no one wants to take on the RX head on. I think the Caddy SRX is the only one similar to the RX in size and price etc.

The competition has obviously tried to go around it with larger or smaller.

Hell if you look at the 1st gen MDX, the entire shape is similar to the RX but they were smart to make it wider/bigger with a 3rd row. They obviously did not want to fight the RX head on. The strategy has worked for both companies.

Old 04-01-13, 10:44 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I mean we can nitpick away but obviously the MDX is a hit for Acura and their best offering and the RX clearly created the class, continues to do well etc. The MDX will continue to sell and a FWD model will help keep the price down as well as building it in Alabama.

Hoovey has A TON of experience with automobiles, his opinion should be highly regarded not torn apart.

Post invalid. The RX interior is plain? Its one of the most adventurous in any automobile. How is this plain?

How do you knock the RX for sharing with the Highlander than defend the MDX which shares with the Pilot/Odyessy? What kind of logic is that?

You didn't mention any feature the RX has over the MDX, LED headlights for instance. F-sport package. Semi-analine seats. Aluminum trim. You don't need to pay 60k for some cooled seats in the RX like the MDX.

So the MDX shares platforms like the RX, is built in Canada like the RX, is priced like the RX, offers fake wood, no higher grade leather yet is somehow more prestigious? That makes no sense. Yes the MDX offers a more advanced AWD system. Have you seen an MDX at the track? lol

They are competition, one just has 7 seats the other 5. One is slightly sportier, the other is more luxurious. The RX created the class, Acura followed with the MDX. Some like the MDX, some like the RX, some like both, some like neither.

Or maybe its they don't try hard enough with Acura. Don't try to dismiss Lexus for having been honored by experts for 2 decades for mostly having some of the best interiors around. It has nothing to do with Toyota, it has everything to do with Lexus attempting to be a real luxury marque. If the Accord is that good maybe they should make their luxury brand unquestionably better than the Accord so there are no comparisons. Lexus figured that out 25 years ago.

So the creator of its class and best selling in class where the competition targets it someone does not wipe the floor with the competition. Have you seen a sales report?

Then you bring up a bunch of speculation about a hybrid mdx that ain't here. What we do know is the MDX will be available in FWD now.

Just like the RX.
I wonder why Toyota have sport version of their cars such as Sienna SE, Camry SE, Corolla S, RX F sport, GS F sport, CT F sport, IS F sport, GS F sport and such (Of course GX sport design that adds nothing but appearance package). 99.99% of those cars are driven on the street. There are X5M, X6M, Cayenne Turbo S, GTS that never see the track either. The point is to make a car fun to drive, not a car to be driven on the track. Better AWD system isn't just for driven on a track, but for better winter driving as well ( of course winter tires are required).

The thing is, MDX get new exclusive platform with FWD, SH-AWD, and SH-SH-AWD design in mind, so hybrid is coming. It's mostly the RLX hybrid engine with 370hp since they already share the base engine.

Acura address the concerns and put 10 projectors on the headlight with stripe each side for their customers, and they don't charge more fun-to-drive factor, it's there on every trim. I believe that any design is subjective, so I wouldn't comment on it.

Acura leather isn't as nice as Lexus leather, but aluminium trim?

I love both brands, but if I have to choose between RX and MDX, MDX gets my pick.

P.S. Maybe we should compare the NEW MDX to the RX instead. This thread is about new MDX, not the old one.
Old 04-01-13, 11:02 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cino
I wonder why Toyota have sport version of their cars such as Sienna SE, Camry SE, Corolla S, RX F sport, GS F sport, CT F sport, IS F sport, GS F sport and such (Of course GX sport design that adds nothing but appearance package). 99.99% of those cars are driven on the street. There are X5M, X6M, Cayenne Turbo S, GTS that never see the track either. The point is to make a car fun to drive, not a car to be driven on the track. Better AWD system isn't just for driven on a track, but for better winter driving as well ( of course winter tires are required).

The thing is, MDX get new exclusive platform with FWD, SH-AWD, and SH-SH-AWD design in mind, so hybrid is coming. It's mostly the RLX hybrid engine with 370hp since they already share the base engine.

Acura address the concerns and put 10 projectors on the headlight with stripe each side for their customers, and they don't charge more fun-to-drive factor, it's there on every trim. I believe that any design is subjective, so I wouldn't comment on it.

Acura leather isn't as nice as Lexus leather, but aluminium trim?

I love both brands, but if I have to choose between RX and MDX, MDX gets my pick.

P.S. Maybe we should compare the NEW MDX to the RX instead. This thread is about new MDX, not the old one.
My post was to correct one that painted the MDX in the best light and the RX in the worst light. I have no beef with the MDX, the last gen IMO was well done even if we bought a RX and not a MDX at the time. Again I think its their best product and the market seems to agree. They fixed the biggest issue which was MPG and the FWD model will keep pricing down (but VALUE continues to now be lost at Acura).

The MDX has a new platform that is shared with the Pilot and Odyessy. It doesn't have its own platform. They are moving production from Canada to Alabama so maybe they are moving Pilot and Odyessy production there?

The new MDX won't have SH-AWD standard, it is now an option. Like the RX, FWD is now standard.

It might be fun to drive for a SUV or a better drive than a RX, but lets keep it in perspective here. I find it funny that the same people quiet when Lexus is sportier are vocal when a SUV is sportier than a RX.

Old 04-01-13, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

agreed. then you post in reply to hoovey...

The RX is not the oddball, it was first.
Old 04-01-13, 11:45 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My post was to correct one that painted the MDX in the best light and the RX in the worst light. I have no beef with the MDX, the last gen IMO was well done even if we bought a RX and not a MDX at the time. Again I think its their best product and the market seems to agree. They fixed the biggest issue which was MPG and the FWD model will keep pricing down (but VALUE continues to now be lost at Acura).

The MDX has a new platform that is shared with the Pilot and Odyessy. It doesn't have its own platform. They are moving production from Canada to Alabama so maybe they are moving Pilot and Odyessy production there?

The new MDX won't have SH-AWD standard, it is now an option. Like the RX, FWD is now standard.

It might be fun to drive for a SUV or a better drive than a RX, but lets keep it in perspective here. I find it funny that the same people quiet when Lexus is sportier are vocal when a SUV is sportier than a RX.
Yeah it's sad SH-AWD isn't standard anymore, but new FWD will be less expensive than current SH-AWD. I believe that it will help their sales a lot.

On the video, chief engineer confirmed that MDX get exclusive chassis (Not sharing with Odyssey anymore)

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled