Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 02:53 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I haven't looked at the torque, but odds are they detuned it in order to pick up more low end torque for an SUV

Lol what?! Not at all. The MDX is marginally bigger than the RX, offered 30 more hp and worse fuel economy than the gas RX. Where's the MDX Hybrid? RXh wipes the floor with its competition. MDX is soundly assembled, but it's materials are not a match to the RX's. The window switches in the MDX and ZDX are straight from a Pilot. MDX has always handled better because of SH-AWD whereas most other Utes have a part-time or on demand AWD system. The MDX is a sound competent vehicle and the bread and butter (at least up until now) for Acura sales (sadly cause it was their most desirable vehicle ) but a step above?! lol now that's funny.
Not just the low end. The torque is higher than the engine in RLX across the range. I leave it to everyone's judgement to consider what class MDX is in. MDX hybrid is coming, but Acura still tight lip about engine and Hybrid SH-AWD.

MDX Dimension

Length: 193.6 inches
Width: 77.2 inches (excluding door mirrors)
Height: 67.6 inches
Wheelbase: 111-inch

Current MDX Dimension
Overall length: 191.6 Inches (4867 mm)
Overall width: 78.5 Inches (1994 mm)
Height: 68.2 Inches (1733 mm)
Wheelbase: 108.3 Inches (2750 mm)

RX350 Dimension
Length: 187.8 inches (4,770 mm)
Width: 74.2 inches (1,885 mm)
Height: 66.7 inches (1,695 mm)
Wheelbase: 107.9 inches (2,740 mm)
Old 03-30-13, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
RDX is about the same size as what NX will probably be.
rdx isn't much smaller than rx

rx
74.2x66.7x187.8 cargo 40.0 / 80.3
rdx
73.7x66.1x183.5 cargo 26.1 / 76.9

but the rx is probably quieter and it's a bit nicer inside (but not much).

the rx started the whole cuv market (awesome) but the competition has caught up or surrounded it. rx still good though and sells well, but it definitely needs a new model and more luxury.

back to the mdx... it's always been decent and kinda unique, but thirsty. the upgrade helps, but it's pretty blah outside.
Old 03-30-13, 07:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
rdx isn't much smaller than rx

rx
74.2x66.7x187.8 cargo 40.0 / 80.3
rdx
73.7x66.1x183.5 cargo 26.1 / 76.9

but the rx is probably quieter and it's a bit nicer inside (but not much).

the rx started the whole cuv market (awesome) but the competition has caught up or surrounded it. rx still good though and sells well, but it definitely needs a new model and more luxury.

back to the mdx... it's always been decent and kinda unique, but thirsty. the upgrade helps, but it's pretty blah outside.
thats one class higher :-).

I mean Acura does this on purpose to appeal to broader range of people but obviously it doesnt work looking at their sales.

I dont see why is this MDX nicer at all than RX, it looks significantly less nice inside actually, with worse quality interior. Unless you are saying RDX is nicer than MDX?
Old 03-30-13, 07:36 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

I haven't looked at the torque, but odds are they detuned it in order to pick up more low end torque for an SUV

Lol what?! Not at all. The MDX is marginally bigger than the RX, offered 30 more hp and worse fuel economy than the gas RX. Where's the MDX Hybrid? RXh wipes the floor with its competition. MDX is soundly assembled, but it's materials are not a match to the RX's. The window switches in the MDX and ZDX are straight from a Pilot. MDX has always handled better because of SH-AWD whereas most other Utes have a part-time or on demand AWD system. The MDX is a sound competent vehicle and the bread and butter (at least up until now) for Acura sales (sadly cause it was their most desirable vehicle ) but a step above?! lol now that's funny.
I've always felt the MDX was indeed a step above the RX. Ride and particularly handling in the MDX is significantly better than the RX, particularly with the adaptive suspension, and the MDX is a lot faster. The MDX is a more premium SUV, the RX cabin materials aren't as nice as those in the MDX and the MDX electronics are better. This is ownership feedback - we had both an RX450h and a 2012 MDX Advance in the family at the same time, and it was the RX we chose to sell. We just sold it this past week.
Old 03-30-13, 10:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I've always felt the MDX was indeed a step above the RX. Ride and particularly handling in the MDX is significantly better than the RX, particularly with the adaptive suspension, and the MDX is a lot faster. The MDX is a more premium SUV, the RX cabin materials aren't as nice as those in the MDX and the MDX electronics are better. This is ownership feedback - we had both an RX450h and a 2012 MDX Advance in the family at the same time, and it was the RX we chose to sell. We just sold it this past week.
I'll give you handling, but that's to be expected since the RX does not offer an adaptive suspension or an AWD that's more than on demand like the MDX. The RX's cabin materials are far superior than that of the MDX's which share many ties to the Pilot on which it's based. The distinction between the Highlander and RX is far greater. A luxury vehicle however needs to be quiet and refined and more than about sport, which the RX does better. Electronic wise it's moot, both have pro's and con's. This is I see them and drive them everyday feedback. I work at an automall composed of Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mini. If you need me too I'll put a 2013 RX350 next to a 2013 MDX and snap some iPhone photos. The MDX is a premium SUV, but the RX is a luxury SUV, and most everyone will agree with me on this.

The MDX is a nice solid competent vehicle and obviously for your particular needs suited you and your family better.

2013 MDX with Advance and Entertainment Package in Graystone

vs

2013 RX450h F-Sport with Navi, ML, PCS with Dynamic Radar in black

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-30-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 10:41 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

I'll give you handling, but that's to be expected since the RX does not offer an adaptive suspension or an AWD that's more than on demand like the MDX. The RX's cabin materials are far superior than that of the MDX's which share many ties to the Pilot on which it's based. The distinction between the Highlander and RX is far greater. A luxury vehicle however needs to be quiet and refined and more than about sport, which the RX does better. Electronic wise it's moot, both have pro's and con's. This is I see them and drive them everyday feedback. I work at an automall composed of Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mini. If you need me too I'll put a 2013 RX350 next to a 2013 MDX and snap some iPhone photos. The MDX is a premium SUV, but the RX is a luxury SUV, and most everyone will agree with me on this.

The MDX is a nice solid competent vehicle and obviously for your particular needs suited you and your family better.

2013 MDX with Advance and Entertainment Package in Graystone

vs

2013 RX450h F-Sport with Navi, ML, PCS with Dynamic Radar in black

I prefer the looks of the MDX..
Old 03-30-13, 11:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
That's completely fine, as that's subjective (anything to do with aesthetics). A look at materials however, the difference between premium and luxury are night and day
Old 03-31-13, 12:25 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It also needs to be pointed out that the acres of what you may think is wood in the MDX is actually fake. In case that's why you thought it was more upscale looking than the RX.
Old 03-31-13, 06:12 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

That's completely fine, as that's subjective (anything to do with aesthetics). A look at materials however, the difference between premium and luxury are night and day
As I said, I purchased both. The materials in the RX aren't better than those in the MDX. There's more hard plastic in the RX, and the center console on the RX is cheap in look and feel. The MDX does have more buttons than the RX, but not so many that it's frustrating in day to day use. I don't think the difference between them is massive, it's really not night and day in favor of either, but for me as someone who paid for both the MDX is better.
Old 03-31-13, 06:17 AM
CincyBrad
Driver

I don't know why car mag reviewers ***** about buttons, I prefer it. Going through 4 screens to make a simple change is a PITA. Not to mention, if your screen or controller ever fail, you're screwed. You won't be able to use a lot of critical functions and its going to cost a fortune to fix it.
Old 03-31-13, 07:35 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate how many buttons MDX has....m driving a car, not a helicopter....wth?
Old 03-31-13, 07:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm sorry but the MDX materials are not even close to the caliber of the RX's. The RX interior quality/material is leaps and bounds above that of the MDX.

And, that fake wood just made me puke a little.
Old 03-31-13, 10:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
By a country mile.
I never was a big fan of the RX dash and console but still owned a '10.
Old 03-31-13, 10:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

new MDX interior looks considerably worse than old one, fake wood or not. A lot of those bad plastics are plainly in your sight too. There was that video few pages back where Acura guy explains the car and you can see how plastics are not premium quality at all.
Old 03-31-13, 10:34 AM
davidko13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that the MDX is a great looking car. It looks very "futuristic" looking> Which is exactly what acura is going for. However something about the interior of that car does not sit well with me. I think they tried to take their old design and just TECH it up. that double display reminds me of a little something i saw inside of the new Infiniti so not so much on the new and original. and it looks like they took a Honda pilot and stuck some 'nice' features on it. looks great from outside but i think acura has a ways to go to catch luxury brands with their interior.

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled