Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Acura MDX Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 06:51 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good in the videos posted above. Guess this is one of those times where pictures dont do it justice,
Old 03-29-13, 07:04 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really. I have been lurking around the forum since last month to follow the RX350 news. But i have not registered until now.

My honest opinion ? The new MDX look

Exterior

-Face lifted
-Bulky
-Blank
-Boring

Interior

-Cheap
-Odometer display look too busy
-Dual LCD screen will blind my eyes during night drive
-Not impressive

I rather take the RX.

In fact i was thinking about the new MDX, until now, I am sure that I rather go with RX
Old 03-29-13, 07:16 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Really. I have been lurking around the forum since last month to follow the RX350 news. But i have not registered until now.

My honest opinion ? The new MDX look

Exterior

-Face lifted
-Bulky
-Blank
-Boring

Interior

-Cheap
-Odometer display look too busy
-Dual LCD screen will blind my eyes during night drive
-Not impressive

I rather take the RX.

In fact i was thinking about the new MDX, until now, I am sure that I rather go with RX
MDX is in different class, but people do cross shop them. I think they are both nice SUVs,

I kinda like real life pictures/videos of MDX. Despite of having more power and several hundreds lb more than RDX, MDX can achieve the same fuel consumption (FWD). That alone is impressive. Interior seems uninspired, but I wouldn't say cheap. I would rather have dual screen than Lexus scrolling mouse. I'm sure you can turn off the screen if you want to, my '99 Lexus RX300 also has that feature.

RX is likely to be faster, but it lacks of 3rd row seat. I wouldn't judge the car based on a couple pictures on the internet.
Old 03-29-13, 07:35 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yah. The reason why I am steered away from the current MDX is the dash and the tachometer. They look like....helicopter stuff
Old 03-29-13, 07:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

trunk looks like best part of the car.. interior plastic are not luxurious enough.
Old 03-30-13, 09:03 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cino
MDX is in different class, but people do cross shop them. I think they are both nice SUVs,

I kinda like real life pictures/videos of MDX. Despite of having more power and several hundreds lb more than RDX, MDX can achieve the same fuel consumption (FWD). That alone is impressive. Interior seems uninspired, but I wouldn't say cheap. I would rather have dual screen than Lexus scrolling mouse. I'm sure you can turn off the screen if you want to, my '99 Lexus RX300 also has that feature.

RX is likely to be faster, but it lacks of 3rd row seat. I wouldn't judge the car based on a couple pictures on the internet.
It's not a different class they are priced the same and now the Mdx offers fwd. It just offers a third row.

Considering how their fans are buying the awful RDx in droves this will sell fine and they are accepting of average. The main issue the Mdx had is addressed, its poor mpg. With a big jump that will he a hit.

I wonder how will pricing be and will they now price a fwd Mdx where the old shawd model was like the rlx.

Old 03-30-13, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It's not a different class they are priced the same and now the Mdx offers fwd. It just offers a third row.

Considering how their fans are buying the awful RDx in droves this will sell fine and they are accepting of average. The main issue the Mdx had is addressed, its poor mpg. With a big jump that will he a hit.

I wonder how will pricing be and will they now price a fwd Mdx where the old shawd model was like the rlx.
Have you sampled the latest RDX Mike? I assure you it's leaps and bounds better than what it replaces. Not to mention it's more athletic appearance makes it better than the MDX IMO (not as bloated). Only the lack of SH-AWD is a serious omission in my eyes. Otherwise the cabin is nice, materials are good for a premium make, and assembly is first rate as with most Acura products.
Old 03-30-13, 11:21 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new MDX seems okay imho.

=)
Old 03-30-13, 12:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint

I understand what you're saying, but RDX seem to be a more direct competitor with RX than MDX.
Another issue with the old MDX is the small 3rd row. They are able to stretch the whole car and lose 300lb. I also heard that it goes 8sec faster at the ring that the car it replaces (For those who cares about the number). The engine is the same as the one in RLX, which is 315hp(?? I'm not sure), but they probably lower the hp in favor of more torque across the range.
Old 03-30-13, 12:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I understand what you're saying, but RDX seem to be a more direct competitor with RX than MDX.
Another issue with the old MDX is the small 3rd row.
MDX and RX are same class, MDX is just longer, trying to be outside its price class by offering more for same. But overall, its like if you stretch IS and call it 5 series competitor.

RDX is about the same size as what NX will probably be.

Live pics make MDX lookg better imho, it looks fine, although rear and profile is very audi... interior is still poor and access to that 3rd row is poor.
Old 03-30-13, 12:38 PM
Hoovey689

Another issue with the old MDX is the small 3rd row. They are able to stretch the whole car and lose 300lb. I also heard that it goes 8sec faster at the ring that the car it replaces (For those who cares about the number). The engine is the same as the one in RLX, which is 315hp(?? I'm not sure), but they probably lower the hp in favor of more torque across the range.
Actually the RX is the odd ball. The RX fits between the RDX and MDX in terms of size (Spwolf is correct though that the RX and MDX are natural competitors), same with it fits between a X3 and a X5. The addition of the smaller Lexus NX will allow the RX to be similarly sized to the MDX in 2014 probably as a 15 model

The new 3.5 in the RLX puts out 310. The MDX with the same engine is 290.
Old 03-30-13, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Have you sampled the latest RDX? I assure you it's leaps and bounds better than what it replaces.

Otherwise the cabin is nice, materials are good for a premium make, and assembly is first rate as with most Acura products.
Agreed the Acura build-quality is (usually) a good thing.

The old RDX wasn't a bad product, either, by any means. Its ride was quite a bit too firm for my tastes (borderline harsh), and it wasn't the roomiest SUV inside, but, even with a fairly high center of gravity, it resisted body-roll, handled like a sports-car on stilts, and its turbo-four had something that most VTEC Honda/Acura fours acutely lack at low RPM.....TORQUE.
Old 03-30-13, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed the Acura build-quality is (usually) a good thing.

The old RDX wasn't a bad product, either, by any means. Its ride was quite a bit too firm for my tastes (borderline harsh), and it wasn't the roomiest SUV inside, but, even with a fairly high center of gravity, it resisted body-roll, handled like a sports-car on stilts, and its turbo-four had something that most VTEC Honda/Acura fours acutely lack at low RPM.....TORQUE.
Yeah, it wasn't terrible, but this new one is better including the more powerful Smoother V6, more fuel efficient to boot
Old 03-30-13, 01:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

It looks pretty good once you see real pics/videos, I am not nuts over the interior design but for some reason most reviewers can't handle lots of buttons and complain about them all the time so we get these stupid touch screen/mouse controllers instead of buttons and switches. I thought the last MDX has a nicer dash design. The extra room is very welcome and the other improvements will be nice, it is a very successful vehicle, they are not going to make radical changes.

It is disappointing to lose power but drivers won't even feel the missing 10hp in a big heavy CUV like the MDX, it is half a second quicker then the last model and 8 seconds quicker around the Nürburgring so it still handles well and puts the power down. It has a better power band so it will most likely feel faster especially considering they shed almost 300lbs from the last one. Considering the fuel economy improvements and what it gets for a vehicle of its size and performance a 10hp tradeoff is not an issue, they could just be underrating the hp too of it is the same engine in the RLX.

The MDX is a step above the RX but not in the truck based LX/QX category, the MDX closest competitors is the X5, Toureg, and Audi Q7, but is also cross shopped with the RX, new JX, and Buick Endeavor. The MDX has always been bigger, normally more expensive, had more power, has 3 row seating compared to RX 2, and handled much better then the RX.

Overall I think it is a nice effort but the reviews will tell more how it drives and what improvements really were made. I am not sure yet if they are going to offer a MDX model with the RLX's upcoming 3 motor hybrid system.
Old 03-30-13, 01:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by UDel
It is disappointing to lose power but drivers won't even feel the missing 10hp in a big heavy CUV like the MDX, it is half a second quicker then the last model and 8 seconds quicker around the Nürburgring so it still handles well and puts the power down. It has a better power band so it will most likely feel faster especially considering they shed almost 300lbs from the last one. Considering the fuel economy improvements and what it gets for a vehicle of its size and performance a 10hp tradeoff is not an issue, they could just be underrating the hp too of it is the same engine in the RLX.
I haven't looked at the torque, but odds are they detuned it in order to pick up more low end torque for an SUV

Originally Posted by UDel
The MDX is a step above the RX but not in the truck based LX/QX category, the MDX closest competitors is the X5, Toureg, and Audi Q7, but is also cross shopped with the RX, new JX, and Buick Endeavor. The MDX has always been bigger, normally more expensive, had more power, has 3 row seating compared to RX 2, and handled much better then the RX.
Lol what?! Not at all. The MDX is marginally bigger than the RX, offered 30 more hp and worse fuel economy than the gas RX. Where's the MDX Hybrid? RXh wipes the floor with its competition. MDX is soundly assembled, but it's materials are not a match to the RX's. The window switches in the MDX and ZDX are straight from a Pilot. MDX has always handled better because of SH-AWD whereas most other Utes have a part-time or on demand AWD system. The MDX is a sound competent vehicle and the bread and butter (at least up until now) for Acura sales (sadly cause it was their most desirable vehicle ) but a step above?! lol now that's funny.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 2014 Acura MDX Unveiled