Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Vettel be punished for winning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 06:36 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Should Vettel be punished for winning?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ark-webber-ban

Would punishing Vettel amount to promoting the fixing of the race's outcome. The whole point of the race is for the best driver in the best car to win. Asking the drivers to hold position to favor one driver over another?
Old 03-25-13, 06:45 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every couple of years this happens in F1. I can't take the sport seriously because of stuff like this.
Old 03-25-13, 07:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This definitely leaves for a very unhappy Mark Webber.

Interestingly, Nico Rosberg also wanted to do what Vettel did but eventually, he followed the orders from the pit crew.

P.S.
What is your opinion regarding 'team orders' in F1? In favor? Against? or neutral?
Old 03-25-13, 07:55 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
This definitely leaves for a very unhappy Mark Webber.

Interestingly, Nico Rosberg also wanted to do what Vettel did but eventually, he followed the orders from the pit crew.

P.S.
What is your opinion regarding 'team orders' in F1? In favor? Against? or neutral?
If Webber couldn't maintain the lead, then he deserves to lose. Tough if that makes him unhappy. Vettel came back from 10th to win, so either Webber wasn't fit to win or he was taking it easy relying on a "fixed" outcome.
Old 03-25-13, 08:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
If Webber couldn't maintain the lead, then he deserves to lose. Tough if that makes him unhappy. Vettel came back from 10th to win, so either Webber wasn't fit to win or he was taking it easy relying on a "fixed" outcome.
Both Vettel and Webber got orders to hold their positions and enter "engine saving" driving mode. That is the problem.

On the other hand Rosberg was lied to that Hamilton was driving to preserve the car while in reality Hamilton run out of fuel so he couldn't maintain racing pace.
Old 03-25-13, 04:59 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vladi
Both Vettel and Webber got orders to hold their positions and enter "engine saving" driving mode. That is the problem.

On the other hand Rosberg was lied to that Hamilton was driving to preserve the car while in reality Hamilton run out of fuel so he couldn't maintain racing pace.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that it was wrong for Vettel to disobey the order? And what is the story for Rosberg?
Old 03-26-13, 04:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying that it was wrong for Vettel to disobey the order? And what is the story for Rosberg?
Me personally don't care about the orders and I think they ruin the racing aspect. That's my stand.

Now to clarify the situation why everybody was angry at Sebastian including Newey is because he attacked his teammate who was cruising because he listened to the team orders to slow down and preserve the car. He kind of sneaked up behind him.

Hamilton spent more fuel than he was supposed to due to aggressive driving and had to slow down otherwise he would have got stranded on the track. Rosberg was legit faster in the last stint but orders from the team didn't let him pass Hamilton by lying to him that Hamilton could drive much faster if he wanted to which was not the case.
Old 03-26-13, 04:37 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

@Vladi So we agree that "engine saving" driving orders are being used as a mean to "fix" the outcome of the race rather than being used to save that one engine in one car?
Old 03-26-13, 04:57 AM
HennessySK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Now to clarify the situation why everybody was angry at Sebastian including Newey is because he attacked his teammate who was cruising because he listened to the team orders to slow down and preserve the car. He kind of sneaked up behind him.
How could you say that Seb sneaked up behind Mark when after Mark's final pit stop the two Red Bulls were neck & neck going into the first corner? What racing driver worth his drive would not challenge for the lead in that situation?

I'd understand Red Bull's decision to issue team orders if Vettel was out of DRS range coming out of the last round of pit stops, but in this situation Red Bull was definitely too eager to preserve the 1-2 finish rather than letting the drivers race it out.

And as far as the whole "Team" aspect is concerned, Red Bull definitely needs to make it clear that Vettel is their no. 1 driver. Webber, a good driver that he may be, is on his way out of this sport. His contract has been on life support for the last few seasons, being extended for a single year at a time. Meanwhile, Seb has a multi-year contract AND IS A THREE TIME WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Mark Webber is the most uncooperative second driver ever. Everyone seems to know this but Mark himself...
Old 03-29-13, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Should Vettel be punished for winning?
"Nope! let's make him Infiniti's Director of Performance" lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rformance.html
Old 03-29-13, 03:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW. I wasn't aware that this stuff was going on. I am not an F1 fan. Im all about GT class
Old 03-29-13, 07:15 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i don't like my job then i leave, but if i stay then i will have to listen to the boss.
Old 03-29-13, 07:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by HennessySK
How could you say that Seb sneaked up behind Mark when after Mark's final pit stop the two Red Bulls were neck & neck going into the first corner? What racing driver worth his drive would not challenge for the lead in that situation?

I'd understand Red Bull's decision to issue team orders if Vettel was out of DRS range coming out of the last round of pit stops, but in this situation Red Bull was definitely too eager to preserve the 1-2 finish rather than letting the drivers race it out.

And as far as the whole "Team" aspect is concerned, Red Bull definitely needs to make it clear that Vettel is their no. 1 driver. Webber, a good driver that he may be, is on his way out of this sport. His contract has been on life support for the last few seasons, being extended for a single year at a time. Meanwhile, Seb has a multi-year contract AND IS A THREE TIME WORLD CHAMPION!!!

Mark Webber is the most uncooperative second driver ever. Everyone seems to know this but Mark himself...
well, main issue was that they told Webber to ease off and that nobody will be attacking him.

this is why Vetel was able to gain and pass eventually and why Webber was angry. Not because Vetel passed him, but because team told him that he does not have to worry about Vetel passing him, just slowly finish up the race.
Old 03-31-13, 06:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

meh, Vettel won because he could both make the engine last AND still be quicker than webber. I like webber, he's a solid driver but he simply isn't as quick, full stop.
Old 03-31-13, 07:08 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
meh, Vettel won because he could both make the engine last AND still be quicker than webber. I like webber, he's a solid driver but he simply isn't as quick, full stop.
That's simply not true. Webber followed instructions from the pit whereas Vettel did not and for the purposes of this specific issue gave himself an unfair advantage. That's the reason he and the team were pissed at Vettel.