Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadillac CTS @NYIAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 08:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
It's interesting, but still looks like it's for people over 60. I kind of like it, but I'm still too young to be seen in that. LOL
I think the target market is 45-50+ for the CTS now. This is inline for the age segment that buy cars such as this - i.e. E class, 5 series, A6, GS, etc.

60+ is for the XTS. You can steer it with 1 finger.
Old 03-25-13, 08:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Front works for me. It's the weak rear/rear haunches that deter me from really liking it. Am very curious about the CTS-V
Old 03-25-13, 09:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's interesting that in 2014, we are still paying for the mistakes of the last generation SLS/STS. Or clearly, Cadillac is robbing Peter (CTS) to pay Paul (SLS) with this new model. So more dangerous business again.... RAISING the age level of an established model instead of lowering it. This new CTS is more elegant and less sporty than the current CTS, but the incease in size is what will raise the buyer's age the most. As I have said for years regarding Cadillac, it's bad business taking a model, keep the same name, and moving it into a different class. You build little equity and confuse the public. The ATS should be the CTS and this thing should have STS plastered on it. Oh, and today's date should be 2008, not 2014.
Sorry Cadillac, it's going to take more than runway guide headlights to see through your weak moves.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 03-26-13 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 04:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's interesting that in 2014, we are still paying for the mistakes of the last generation SLS/STS. Or clearly, Cadillac is robbing Peter (CTS) to pay Paul (SLS) with this new model. So more dangerous business again.... RAISING the age level of an established model instead of lowering it. This new CTS is more elegant and less sporty than the current CTS, but the incease in size is what will raise the buyer's age the most. As I have said for years regarding Cadillac, it's bad business taking a model, keep the same name, and moving it into a different class. You build little equity and a confuse the public. The ATS should be the CTS and this thing should have STS plastered on it. Oh, and today's date should be 2008, not 2014.
Sorry Cadillac, it's going to take more than runway guide headlights to see through your weak moves.
There's less in a name than you think. I support the ATS name because it was something new and brought attention to Cadillac to let people know something entirely different was afoot. The STS name as no equity in the luxury segment anyways. They'll be OK.

I doubt this car will be a runaway success but it will certainly give Cadillac the credibility it deserves.
Old 03-26-13, 06:41 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this new CTS. I would have cross-shopped this vehicle with my GS 350 had it been available at the time.
Old 03-26-13, 07:10 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder what the next generation V series has in store?
Old 03-26-13, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
... Sorry Cadillac, it's going to take more than runway guide headlights to see through your weak moves.
you'd never buy one no matter what they do, so just more haterade. with the new ats available, they were freed up to make the cts a little bigger.
Old 03-26-13, 11:04 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I think Cadillac really nailed it this time. The current CTS was sort of a "tweener" size, too small to be a luxury sedan and too big to be a sport sedan. Now with the ATS to handle the sport sedan role, the CTS can become a real competitor to the E Class, 5 Series, and GS. For me, that leaves only a large RWD sedan to compete at the highest levels of luxury and restore the "Standard of the World" ranking Cadillac once enjoyed. If they can build this nice a car to compete in the $50k to $70K segment, what can they do with a price point that starts around $80K?
Steve
Old 03-26-13, 11:30 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This is a GS competitor. And I can think of a few reasons why.

We'll see how this thing does in road tests.
Oh, I can soooo see this stealing sales from potential GS buyers. It looks more stately than a 4GS. The over-55 crowd will like this for sure. I'm worried GS sales will continue to suffer. The 4GS is a really nice car, but it needs an onslaught of marketing. Lexus should be stealing a ton of 5-series owners, since they're going to lose a lot of the ol' fogeys who just want something plush and luxurious.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i doubt you're a target or fan of an e-class either.

i think this is another huge step forward for cadillac.
You're right, no on the E-class, for me anyway. But this new Caddy may compete with the E-class pretty well, but not the 4GS. 4GS is going to suffer unless they clean up on 5-series owners.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think the target market is 45-50+ for the CTS now. This is inline for the age segment that buy cars such as this - i.e. E class, 5 series, A6, GS, etc.

60+ is for the XTS. You can steer it with 1 finger.
Yep! You can steer the 4GS with one finger too, but it's a little nervous...so you may end up in a ditch. I bet that Caddy will just float on down the road, with just enough firmness to please the middle-aged masses.

I hope the 4GS can kick some sales azz soon...but I just don't see it.
Old 03-26-13, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One of the great things about the CTS, in recent years, that much of the auto press hasn't talked about is the huge improvement of its build-quality. The vast improvement in the looks of the 2Gen interior vs. the 1Gen was noted, but the reliability (not noted) of most versions also rose as well, though the V8 CTS-V models are still below average, according to Consumer Reports.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-26-13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Lexus should be stealing a ton of 5-series owners, since they're going to lose a lot of the ol' fogeys who just want something plush and luxurious.
And how about the not-so-old fogeys who also like plushness?
Old 03-26-13, 12:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Love the front, the rest is rather bland and familiar, gives me an E-class feeling.
+1

Old 03-26-13, 01:04 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CTS looks better than the MB E-class.

Did I just type that?!?!!?
Old 03-26-13, 01:08 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
+1

I actually thought the very same thing. For how mean the front end is, I guess I thought the rest of the car would have a little more flair and aggression. The sides seem a little flat and slap sided, but as a whole, this design is the best thing I've seen from Caddy...ever.
Old 03-26-13, 01:33 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevings
Oh, I can soooo see this stealing sales from potential GS buyers. It looks more stately than a 4GS. The over-55 crowd will like this for sure. I'm worried GS sales will continue to suffer. The 4GS is a really nice car, but it needs an onslaught of marketing. Lexus should be stealing a ton of 5-series owners, since they're going to lose a lot of the ol' fogeys who just want something plush and luxurious.
The GS has always been the odd one out in the US Lexus lineup, if i recall correctly. It never really sold in great relative numbers when compared to its stablemates.

But for that matter, the introduction of the 4GS, and its radical styling brought a bit of momentum as 2012's sales were a pretty nice improvement over the past. It'll probably even out now.

The 2014 CTS looks good, but it looks a little too big imo. Maybe it is just because i am used to the current CTS. The side profile reminds of an RR Ghost, as well as the MB E. Not bad.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS @NYIAS