Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone know of a smart key that auto unlocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 08:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone know of a smart key that auto unlocks?

Someone posted on another forum that "some" cars have a smart key that automatically unlocks the car as you walk up to it. The only evidence he cited was from Wikipedia:

Method 1 — Once the keyholder is in the car's "bubble" (the required distance from the vehicle for the key to be recognized) the car will automatically unlock the driver's door.
Method 2 — Once inside the car's "bubble" the car doesn't unlock the door unless the keyholder touches one of the sensors located behind the door handles. As others attempt to get in, the system senses that the driver is within the "bubble" and as they touch the sensors behind their door handles, the car will unlock their door.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_keyless_system
Not too many actual sources in this article. Anyone know of a car that actually has this feature?

Thx in advance.
Old 03-23-13, 09:36 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every Lexus has this standard. BMW, Audi, MB, Inifiniti, pretty much every make has this as an option.

Not sure what you're asking for proof of? Just go look at any car's specifications, or stop by a dealership and ask about it.
Old 03-23-13, 10:49 AM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Infra, in Method 2, the car unlocks when the driver touches the door handle. This is how most cars that I know of handle it (including my IS). In Method 1, the car would unlock just when the driver got near - they don't have to touch the door handle.

I'm curious about this as well. Based on my experience with my IS, I'd prefer Method 1 for two reasons:
-Sometimes I try and open the door too quickly, before the system has unlocked the car
-When traveling with others, they often try and open the door before I've touched the door handle.

But I haven't thought too deeply about the downsides. I'm sure there's some that push car makers towards making Method 2 the standard.
Old 03-23-13, 12:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by piguy
Infra, in Method 2, the car unlocks when the driver touches the door handle. This is how most cars that I know of handle it (including my IS). In Method 1, the car would unlock just when the driver got near - they don't have to touch the door handle.

I'm curious about this as well. Based on my experience with my IS, I'd prefer Method 1 for two reasons:
-Sometimes I try and open the door too quickly, before the system has unlocked the car
-When traveling with others, they often try and open the door before I've touched the door handle.

But I haven't thought too deeply about the downsides. I'm sure there's some that push car makers towards making Method 2 the standard.
My LS turns on the "puddle lights" on the mirrors as I approach but does not unlock the car. I have never seen one that automatically unlocks without touching the unlock sensors.
Steve
Old 03-23-13, 12:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Infra
Every Lexus has this standard. BMW, Audi, MB, Inifiniti, pretty much every make has this as an option.

Not sure what you're asking for proof of? Just go look at any car's specifications, or stop by a dealership and ask about it.
I'm not looking for cars with SmartKeys. I'm looking for a car that automatically unlocks the door without touching the door handle as you approach the car. Yes, I could check specs, but it would kind of be a random search, not knowing any car that has this feature.

I don't think it exists, except maybe in some ultra lux car.
Old 03-23-13, 01:01 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My LS turns on the "puddle lights" on the mirrors as I approach but does not unlock the car. I have never seen one that automatically unlocks without touching the unlock sensors.
Steve
Same with my IS. I haven't ever seen this feature either...
Old 03-23-13, 01:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm not looking for cars with SmartKeys. I'm looking for a car that automatically unlocks the door without touching the door handle as you approach the car. Yes, I could check specs, but it would kind of be a random search, not knowing any car that has this feature.

I don't think it exists, except maybe in some ultra lux car.
there is nothing luxurious about it, they dont do it for security reasons. Also, in Lexus, you dont have to touch the handle at all, it unlocks when it detects your hand reaching for the handle, not actually pulling it.
Old 03-23-13, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is nothing luxurious about it, they dont do it for security reasons. Also, in Lexus, you dont have to touch the handle at all, it unlocks when it detects your hand reaching for the handle, not actually pulling it.
This
Old 03-23-13, 03:56 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost. Your hand has to be near the sensor on the inside of the door handle. I don't like this implementation because it tends to get fussy with gloves. I prefer the implementation where teh door unlocks when you pull the door handle.
Old 03-23-13, 05:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I agree--I don't think it exists.

I've had my IS for 6 years--I have to physically touch the back of the handle to unlock, but do not have to pull. I've had 2nd and 3rd Gen RX, and 5 Gen ES loaners--same thing--you have to touch the back of the handle, or now the dimples on top and bottom. Your GS might be different.
Old 03-23-13, 06:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree--I don't think it exists.

I've had my IS for 6 years--I have to physically touch the back of the handle to unlock, but do not have to pull. I've had 2nd and 3rd Gen RX, and 5 Gen ES loaners--same thing--you have to touch the back of the handle, or now the dimples on top and bottom. Your GS might be different.
try it :-). You dont have to touch it at all. You put your hand behind the handle but dont touch it and you will see. I have 2IS these days. Dimples are only for locking, not unlocking.

it doesnt exist because it would be unsafe - not because it is not possible... the sensors you have in your 2IS can do that, but again, it would be safety/security issue.
Old 03-23-13, 07:04 PM
LexTriton
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are some aftermarket systems that actually do function like this. There was a thread about it in the SC300/SC400 forums a while ago. Here's the video from that thread.

Old 03-24-13, 04:49 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It wasn't really considered a "smart key" but I know on my friend's 1993 Corvette the doors would unlock as you approached and then lock as you walked away.

Kind of cool, but if you were outside near your car with the fob in your pocket, say, at home, it would continually unlock and relock depending on your proximity.
Old 03-24-13, 05:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

try it :-). You dont have to touch it at all. You put your hand behind the handle but dont touch it and you will see. I have 2IS these days.
Tried it today--I had to touch it.
Old 03-27-13, 07:26 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have #1 option in my '13 BMW 335i. I just walk up to the car, and about couple feet away I hear the doors unlock. I'm sure any new BMW with CA (comfort access) feature has it. Not sure of other luxury brands, but if BMW has it - other luxury brands probably have it too.

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a smart key that auto unlocks?