Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW - No Longer The Ultimate Driving Machine

Old 03-23-13, 08:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default BMW - No Longer The Ultimate Driving Machine

Lexus GS350 F-Sport vs BMW 535i M-Sport

Slalom :

Cornering :

Evasive Action :
This head-to-head comparison was conducted by AMCI Testing.

About the company :
For 30 years AMCI Testing has been an unbiased, independent vehicle testing company, directly serving automotive manufacturers worldwide. Whenever a balanced and unprejudiced understanding of their own vehicles' comparative performance is needed for product development, market intelligence or claim substantiation, most come to us. The oft proven, undisputed and unrivaled accuracy of AMCI Testing Certified data has fairly and defensibly substantiated hundreds and hundreds of competitive claims in television and print over the years.
Thanks to bigblack06 over on the 4th Generation GS sub-forum for finding these.

I guess that is what Lexus meant when they said they were going to have more in-your-face advertising for its brand.

What's most impressive is that the testing is done by an independent third party and is verifiable.
Old 03-23-13, 08:44 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty cool. But what about acceleration and braking?
Old 03-23-13, 08:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
This is pretty cool. But what about acceleration and braking?

Here you go :

http://www.automobilemag.com/lexusgschallenge/

Autocross, 0-60, 1/4mile and braking are tested. Lexus GS vs BMW 5 and Mercedes E-Class.

Hint : The Lexus GS doesn't lose.....

Last edited by natnut; 03-23-13 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 09:50 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People don't buy these cars for handling. That's why the E-class is #1 and the softer F10 has meant 5er sales have never been better.
Old 03-23-13, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

With respect to the thread title, we already knew this lol
Old 03-23-13, 11:15 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, old news but good news, and nice put together for us to see!
Old 03-23-13, 11:17 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With ATS beating down on the 3 series, I guess BMW has lost it's edge. Nevertheless, BMW can put their badge on an Accent and sell it for 40K. It stopped being about performance long ago.
Old 03-23-13, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One must not, however, solely judge a "Driving Machine" simply by low 0-60, times, short panic-braking distances, or high figures on the skidpad and slalom. A lot more than simple raw performance is required to make a true drivers' car. One thing, over the years, that has typically made a BMW a BMW is the superb chassis-engineering which combined a virtually unmatched ride/handling combination with tactile-sensitive steering (even with power-assist) that uncanilly told the driver's fingers exactly what the two front wheels were doing. In that, BMW, IMO, still ranks very high today, if no longer at the absolute top.
Old 03-23-13, 01:41 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

But the 5 series got FAT! I don't think you can consider it the absolute top with the new GS around.

If anything, I think the M3 is the car to beat with BMW, and with the last ISF have lap times similar to the M3 (and I think better acceleration time as well) I think the next gen will top it and like this thread title says, the bmw will no longer be the ultimate driving machine.
Old 03-23-13, 01:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
People don't buy these cars for handling. That's why the E-class is #1 and the softer F10 has meant 5er sales have never been better.

True.GS sales numbers aren't close to the 5 or E.
People will still buy the badge.
Old 03-23-13, 02:25 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One must not, however, solely judge a "Driving Machine" simply by low 0-60, times, short panic-braking distances, or high figures on the skidpad and slalom. A lot more than simple raw performance is required to make a true drivers' car. One thing, over the years, that has typically made a BMW a BMW is the superb chassis-engineering which combined a virtually unmatched ride/handling combination with tactile-sensitive steering (even with power-assist) that uncanilly told the driver's fingers exactly what the two front wheels were doing. In that, BMW, IMO, still ranks very high today, if no longer at the absolute top.
Agreed on so many levels. Understanding that this is a Lexus board so the bias may be skewed a little bit but I didn't buy my 5 for handling, I thought it to be the complete package especially in the looks department. As much as awesome the 4GS is (I had the 2GS and 3GS), personally, I was not able to get over the predator grill.

I personally think that the 5 is just plain bada$$. I get comments all the time and Jeremy clarckson thinks so
"So, if you have the wherewithal, I suggest you buy a 5-series. It’s the absolute best of absolutely everything we know. Unless you want a Jag, of course, because that is as well."

-Comments for fun and purely tongue in cheek, no fanboyism here.

Last edited by NYlexus; 03-23-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Lexus GS350 F-Sport vs BMW 535i M-Sport

Slalom :
http://youtu.be/mR2KibVqGVQ

Cornering :
http://youtu.be/Bw70Vgwmxaw

Evasive Action :
http://youtu.be/u3cCYv-DzaY
This head-to-head comparison was conducted by AMCI Testing.

About the company :

Thanks to bigblack06 over on the 4th Generation GS sub-forum for finding these.

I guess that is what Lexus meant when they said they were going to have more in-your-face advertising for its brand.

What's most impressive is that the testing is done by an independent third party and is verifiable.

darn, thats what i call owned.

it will take a while for message to get into the customer's heads but its great message.
Old 03-23-13, 10:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha...thread title fail.

Big frickin' deal the 535 is a floaty ride that is sufficient, but doesn't target the enthusiast. Run the 550 and see how things turn out...or better yet the M5....lol.

Yes, BMW doesn't have an answer to the LF A (and never has) and the IS F stacks up nicely against the M3, but after that it's a complete joke. You can run down just about every segment and there is no answer from Lexus when it comes to driving dynamics.

SUV's? LOL! X5M/X6M or even the 5.0 are simply on a different planet. Frick, my diesel will out handle anything Lexus has.

GT cars? Hmmm....650 coupe OR convertible....or M6. Lexus' answer?

Small coupes/verts. 1M. Lexus' answer?

Flagships. B7....or I have something that will run circles around an LS....lol.

Picking one car....at the bottom of a model line up....and then touting some big "win" is a lame attempt to beat one's chest over nothing.

This is the kind of fanboi thread that I'm used to seeing on the BMW forums.
Old 03-23-13, 10:47 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,676 Likes on 2,266 Posts

lol someone is butt hurt.
Old 03-23-13, 10:57 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Why all the negativity about fanboys? I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of the registered members/readers who peruse clublexus.com are L badge fanboys.

Isn't it completely natural to have an affinity for 1 brand? I thought it was perfectly normal to love something and try your best to show others the things your brand has that theirs do not. The time when I'd draw the line is not admitting to the truths even if they have been documented numerous times. That's just denial, lol.

I'm not ashamed to admit I am a Lexus fanboy. But I won't ignore the facts if they are presented in front of me.

On the topic of the thread: Good job GS, now how about a GS F to shake things up a bit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW - No Longer The Ultimate Driving Machine