Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Entry level lux car: IS250 still viable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 09:46 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The A4 is quite a bit bigger than the IS. A few inches really make a difference in this class. But, I would advise to totally steer away from a front wheel drive A4 - the torque of the 2.0T is too much for the drive train and wheel spin is a big issue. So looking at a Quattro model, it's probably getting above her price range, considering you'll get a huge discount as they try to clear out any remaining last gen IS250's. there's really never been a better time to buy one.

The carbon buildup is an issue for those whose trips never allow the engine to fully warm to operating temperature, and neglect their oil changes. Get synthetic oil everytime, and it's really not an issue.

The IS is one of the most reliable cars you can buy, and the fact it's a Lexus means you get an outstanding total ownership experience well above that of a Honda.
Old 03-23-13, 10:35 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been driving my base IS250 for the past ~6-7 years and its a great car. For the deal she is apparently looking at, i dont think there is much better out there in the luxury world.
Old 03-23-13, 11:31 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
She's driving a 14 year old Accord--a Hyundai Elantra is an upgrade.
Her friend drives an A7. You fail to understand teh psychology of this generation.

She was complaining the A4 is too big.

Last edited by mrraider; 03-23-13 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
My sister in law is looking to replace a 14 year old accord. She always liked my IS250 AWD back when I had it. Lexus Canada is giving them away now with a 3000$ cash incentive, on top of any negotiated dealer discount. She likes the price, the styling and the long list of standard equipment.

Is a 250 still worth it today? It's at the end of it's life cycle. The infotainment is a decade old (does it even have a USB port?). It's seriously down on power compared to the American and German competition, though she could care less about acceleration.

I've been trying steer her towards a CT200h, which is more in line with her needs, but she doesn't like hatches.

She test drove the A4, but was put off by it's size, and the low content at base trim levels. The c300 is on her list too, but MB also rapes you on options. She refuses to try the S60 or ATS.

Opinions?

PS: did they fix the carbon issue in the 2013s?
My sister was in the same position, we tried to talk her into a CT but she would have no part of it.

She ended up buying an IS250:

Poor power from a V6
Premium fuel
Loud tires
Loud interior
Fatiging drIve
Old 03-24-13, 10:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Her friend drives an A7. You fail to understand teh psychology of this generation.

If she's going to use an A7 as her benchmark, she's going to have some serious issues here...
Old 03-24-13, 10:57 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy just picked up a 2013 Buick Regal GS and I have to say the outside looks awesome.

The next step down you can get a Turbo -AWD, for a pretty good price right now, loaded, with good style........
Old 03-24-13, 11:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

My sister in law is looking to replace a 14 year old accord. She always liked my IS250 AWD back when I had it. Lexus Canada is giving them away now with a 3000$ cash incentive, on top of any negotiated dealer discount. She likes the price, the styling and the long list of standard equipment.

Is a 250 still worth it today? It's at the end of it's life cycle. The infotainment is a decade old (does it even have a USB port?). It's seriously down on power compared to the American and German competition, though she could care less about acceleration.

I've been trying steer her towards a CT200h, which is more in line with her needs, but she doesn't like hatches.

She test drove the A4, but was put off by it's size, and the low content at base trim levels. The c300 is on her list too, but MB also rapes you on options. She refuses to try the S60 or ATS.

Opinions?

PS: did they fix the carbon issue in the 2013s?
she can wait a bit for 2013 IS... money you save on old model is usually about the same money you lose in value since it is now old model :-).
Old 03-24-13, 02:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I found the power totally adequate when I used to drive them as loaners, great gas mileage, nice looks, last model year tweaks and reliability, and a great price. Sounds like a good deal especially if having the last gen model doesnt bother her. If she wants to spend less I would say KIA Optima all the way. Great looks, solid reliability, good size, and great styling
Old 03-24-13, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I just had a CT200h loaner. You could not pay me to drive a CT. Only Lexus I have ever driven that I can safely say I hate.

You really should try and get her to drive the ATS. Seriously, in that segment right now the ATS is a real winner.
Old 03-24-13, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Just "test" drove it today. Forgot how old the tech was. Ipod integration sucks, center stack still has the 80s VCR LCD display. Need to get navigation to get most of the decent functions. My wife's chevy cruze has a better infotainment system.

Honestly, for my money I would get a Verano. Next week we try the Benz c300.
lol, yeah, IS still looks nice but by today's standards, it's old.

Originally Posted by tex2670
She's driving a 14 year old Accord--a Hyundai Elantra is an upgrade.
indeed.

not sure that comment was quite necessary. what's an A7 got to do with a 14 yr old accord or an is250 or even an a4?

mmkay... so she wants a SMALL car then. if it's a lexus, it will be the current is as you say, or the ct.
Old 03-24-13, 07:10 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Poor power from a V6
Premium fuel
Loud tires
Loud interior
Fatiging drIve
Exactly. What she wants is a Corolla with a German badge.

I tried to get her try an ATS 2.0, she has no desire to be associated with teh cadillac brand. It's amazing how someone who knows so little about cars, has such strong opinions about brands. kudos to the marketing machine from 4th Reich motors.

She might be better off waiting for the CLA or new A3, but the Accord is being held together by rust and duct tape.
Old 03-24-13, 07:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I tried to get her try an ATS 2.0, she has no desire to be associated with teh cadillac brand. It's amazing how someone who knows so little about cars, has such strong opinions about brands. kudos to the marketing machine from 4th Reich motors.

She might be better off waiting for the CLA or new A3, but the Accord is being held together by rust and duct tape.
well I have no idea why would she like ATS anyway, why would she care about the handling? CT200h would give her great mpg, lexus badge and corolla-like reliability.
Old 03-24-13, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Buddy just picked up a 2013 Buick Regal GS and I have to say the outside looks awesome.
Give him our congratulations.

The new Regal GS is getting quite a reputation in auto mags as a sports-sedan. Not quite the car for me, though....the Verano is more to my tastes.
Old 03-26-13, 10:04 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds to me like you should extricate yourself from this entire process. She is going to end up unhappy with any choice she makes, and guess whose fault it will be?
Old 03-26-13, 10:37 AM
LexFather

1. Let her get what she wants.
2. I rarely can ever recommend a car on the way out when a new model will be here in 3 months.

Quick Reply: Entry level lux car: IS250 still viable?