Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept

Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/hyund...photo-5753187/

Hyundai has dropped a couple of rendered looks at its forthcoming HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept, which will debut at the 2013 Seoul Motor Show. While full details probably won't be released until then, the Korean automaker has said the butterfly-doored machine will bow with a direct-injection, turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 engine good for around 365 horsepower. The mill is bolted to an eight-speed automatic transmission and puts its grunt to the rear tires. While the doors are pure showcar theater, we dig the Aston-inspired long nose and boisterous rear haunches.

Look for the car to receive an actual introduction on March 28, and while we don't expect to see the HND-9 on showroom floors any time soon, some of the creation's design language may make it to production models.

Luxury Sports Coupe Concept HND-9

- The HND-9 hints at Hyundai's next-generation luxury sports coupe design

- More details to be revealed at the 2013 Seoul Motor Show

March 21, 2013 – Hyundai Motor Company, the fastest-growing automaker by brand, today
unveiled exterior renderings of the 'HND-9', its latest luxury sports coupe concept.

The 'HND-9' represents an evolution of Hyundai's fluidic sculpture design philosophy. The
ninth concept model developed by Hyundai Motor Group's R&D Center in Namyang, Korea,
the HND-9 features sophisticated details in every design element, reinforcing a premium look.

In particular, the HND-9, with its dramatic long hood and wheelbase, is a modern
reinterpretation of the elegant image of a classic premium sports coupe.

Fluidic yet sleek character lines that stretch from headlamp to trunk, voluminous, powerful car
body and a striking, wide hexagonal-shaped radiator grille underscore the high performance
image of the concept.

Furthermore, butterfly doors, spiral-shaped lines connected to the headlamp, softly glistening
silver coating, dual twin muffler and uniquely designed head and rear lamps give the car a
sleek futuristic look.

As a rear-wheel drive, high-performance sports coupe concept, HND-9 is equipped with 3.3-
liter turbo GDi engine and 8-speed auto transmission, delivering maximum output of 370ps.

The HND-9 is set to make its world debut during Hyundai's press conference on March 28
at the 2013 Seoul Motor Show. More details of the concept's design and its cutting-edge
technologies will be revealed at the show.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/21/h...cept-ahead-of/
Old 03-21-13, 05:10 PM
Hoovey689

I can see this thread getting a little heated what the topic being "Hyundai" and "Luxury Sports Coupe". That said, nice looking concept. Make it RWD and people will turn heads. Also forces Luxury makes to take notice
Old 03-21-13, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Make it RWD and people will turn heads.
according to the article, it is rwd.
Old 03-21-13, 08:54 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If this is a glimpse at the next GC it will be available in AWD as well.
Old 03-21-13, 09:31 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As do all renders, this looks good.
Old 03-21-13, 09:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah I kinda worded that whole sentence wrong. Was interrupted by an employee at work today as I was posting, lost my train of thought lol

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Naw think Genesis Coupe and Genesis Sedan. Then think of Equus Sedan and large Equus Coupe. This is larger than a GC and planned to be much more luxurious if if ever comes to fruition
Old 03-21-13, 10:13 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Lambo doors : CHECK
Audi grill : CHECK

I will wake up when they actually come up with something original on a "concept" car, in the mean time I'll go back to zzzzz....
Old 03-21-13, 10:48 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I cannot believe Hyundai wants to be taken seriously when all they do is copy everyone else. They literally have nothing original in any of their cars. And half of their designs in production make me puke.
Old 03-22-13, 07:01 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

yeah I kinda worded that whole sentence wrong. Was interrupted by an employee at work today as I was posting, lost my train of thought lol

Naw think Genesis Coupe and Genesis Sedan. Then think of Equus Sedan and large Equus Coupe. This is larger than a GC and planned to be much more luxurious if if ever comes to fruition
Some said it is based on the Kia GT Concept which itself is based on the same 111.0 in platform of the GC. If it were a coupe based on the actual Genesis sedan I think it would be shown with the V8 like the concept Hyundai showed a few months ago instead of a small V6.
Old 03-22-13, 09:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Rendering looks cool but the final product won't be nearly as good looking or radical, why tease potential buyers with these low swoopy good looking impossible for production renderings when the final product won't come close to matching it.
Old 03-22-13, 11:20 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Some said it is based on the Kia GT Concept which itself is based on the same 111.0 in platform of the GC. If it were a coupe based on the actual Genesis sedan I think it would be shown with the V8 like the concept Hyundai showed a few months ago instead of a small V6.
no no, your words were
Regardless if it's based on a GC platform, this would be a bigger more luxurious coupe. Not the next GC itself. They want to expand the line-up.
Old 03-22-13, 12:54 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

no no, your words were

Regardless if it's based on a GC platform, this would be a bigger more luxurious coupe. Not the next GC itself. They want to expand the line-up.
You have a point. I was just saying the size shouldn't change much as it is supposed to be based on the current 111.0 in. platform with heavy updates.
Old 03-28-13, 09:54 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

New pics:

Looks very sharp.

"With its long hood and the wraparound windows, they call the styling "fluidic." What's for sure is that the coupe is 184.8 inches long, 74 inches wide, 52 inches high and has 112.5 inches between those massive twenty-two inch alloys. It also features butterfly doors and a grille so big it could probably swallow a 2014 Aston Martin Rapide for breakfast."

http://jalopnik.com/the-hyundai-hnd-...n-gt-461431073
Old 03-28-13, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

To be honest I like it. I see GT-R, 370Z, Aston Martin, LF-LC in it but this is a good looking concept
Old 03-28-13, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Looks nice, Lexus cues all over from their concepts. Is it just me or that interior console just like the LF-LC, which I wasn't even sure I liked lol

Quick Reply: Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept