Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 09:41 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks better than the LFA or LCA, I'm in at 45k. I'd rather drive this than a infiniti G37 coupe. Heck give me a asian dependable car that looks like the bmw 6 series coupe and I'm a happy camper.

the bmw 6 series coupe is a beautiful coupe, I just love it but I can't afford the 90k price tag.
Old 03-27-14, 10:11 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The concept already looks very derivative, if Genesis sedan is any indication the production car won't look much like it, but still can't wait to see who they will rip off for the production coupe. Any bets? I'm thinking Jag F-type front end fused with BMW 6 series body and some Audi rear graphics for good measure.
Old 03-28-14, 01:36 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a nice looking concept so far. As long as the production version looks similar it will be a winner. People don't care who came out with what design first, or who copied who. All they want is a good looking reliable car and a certain price range. Give them that and it will sell.
Old 03-28-14, 05:42 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The concept already looks very derivative, if Genesis sedan is any indication the production car won't look much like it, but still can't wait to see who they will rip off for the production coupe. Any bets? I'm thinking Jag F-type front end fused with BMW 6 series body and some Audi rear graphics for good measure.
Comparison Time

Old 03-28-14, 06:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genesis is way better looking than the concept
Old 03-28-14, 10:01 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I really liked how bold the concept was. That said, I think the production Genesis turned out pretty decent. I'd like to sample a V8 unit when they arrive
Old 04-04-14, 07:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Future Cars: Visually Musing Hyundai’s Next Genesis Coupe

Down at the pub, any conversation over performance coupes usually ensues with banter about the Camaro topping than Mustang, the Challenger besting the Camaro or the Mustang being better at something. Pipe up and mention anything about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and you’ll be met with blank stares, beer bottles and a cacophony of laughter.

However don’t be fooled; the South Korean automaker may be a new-comer to the RWD two-door scene, but they’re progressing fast. While the big three Detroit carmakers have had many years to refine their pony cars, Hyundai are still in the process of developing their second-generation Genesis Coupe.

So what form could this 2nd generation car take? Well unlike its American competitors and their subsequent muscle-car tones, I've decided to look closer at the Hyundai’s own HND-9 Concept and illustratively explore where the company should head.

Design:

While the current Genesis Coupe is a handsome-looker, it doesn’t deliver much visual clout. Granted the MY2013 update helped with an aggressive snout but it still suffers from a dose of generic mediocrity.

To counteract this, the proposal I've drawn up embodies a large portion of design cues found on the HND-9 Concept car. The front in particular uses the Catfish-like chrome spears that flank outboard of the headlights, intersecting the grille before looping back under the headlights.

Glancing back over the bodywork will see surfacing inspired by Hyundai’s latest evolution of ‘Fluidic Sculpture’ design language. Tense and yet simple surfaces dominate the shoulder and hip lines, creating a stronger, more purposeful stance.

This stronger visual imprint is also carried on by the glasshouse; sure, there may be overtones of Nissan GT-R in the A-Pillars, but it makes for a more modern silhouette. Gone are the ‘dipped’ rear quarter windows of the current car - instead replaced with ‘new Mustang-like’ window glass for an uncluttered look.

Interior:

Hyundai have been progressing well with its interiors recently - compared with the horrid rubbish they were pumping out years ago, most of the brand’s lineup now provides decent materials and build quality.

However, there is always room for improvement - design in particular needs to standout in comparison to the rest Hyundai’s passenger car range. Like the HND-9 concept, a strong emphasis should be placed on making the cockpit as driver-focused as possible.

Cue large sweeping cut-aways and satin-chrome spears that mimic those on the front. For the HVAC controls - a larger, more intuitive touch-screen panel would integrated just off the dash with a partial floating effect.

Don’t expect cabin space be vast; but rather evolutionary improvements to comfortably seat its two rear occupants with improved hip and legroom.

What Could Power It:

Its main method of propulsion should come from Hyundai's new 3.3-Litre turbocharged GDi V6 engine pumping out a tidy 360hp, mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission driving the rear wheels. Of course, like the MY2015 Ford Mustang, one could also expect a highly efficient and powerful 2.0-Litre four-cylinder as an option.

There have been rumors of using a meatier engine option too - and fortunately this one is a V8. Although not confirmed, it would likely be a re-worked version of 5.0-litre V8, as found in the previous generation Genesis R-Spec sedan.

Market Positioning:

It has been said that the next generation Genesis coupe will ride upon a shortened platform shared with its larger sedan sibling, which should yield ride and handling benefits in comparison to its most direct ‘two-door’ competitors.

Speaking of rivals, its greatest competition will no doubt come from Detroit’s own Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger. However, one should also not exclude opponents from Subaru/Scion and their BR-Z/FR-S twins and Nissan’s slightly older 370Z.

An ‘on sale’ date is likely to fall somewhere late next year, marketed as an MY2016 release.

Final Thoughts: This design proposal might be the ticket in making the Korean upstart appear as a genuine challenger for the established pony-car club, however does it go far enough or should it be chucked back in the ocean? Oh and Hyundai - make it with a V8 please…

Let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the discussion area below.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/fut...-hyundais.html
Old 04-04-14, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Despite dealing with some fallout (recalls, mileage disputes) of the original fluff from their last product onslaught in 2009, Hyundai is pushing more and more into powertrain technology, design and knocking on prices upstairs from where they currently design. The onslaught continues.

The question is can they eventually break their current value image and be seen as a upscale/premium brand as they continually push and test price brackets? Perhaps they should spin off an actual Luxury or Premium brand? What are your thoughts?
Old 05-27-14, 10:52 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default The 2.0T Reportedly Axed For Second Gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe?

The next version of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is in the works and it turns out the car may drop one of its popular engine choices.

According to Korean Car Blog, the 2.0T engine that makes 274 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque is set to be discontinued for the 2015 model year. This information comes from a screen shot obtained by the site of what looks like a Hyundai product planning guide.

Other info divulged includes the discontinuation of the 3.8 Grand Touring model, along with the addition of a new 3.8 base model. The 2.8-liter R-Spec model will also now get LED daytime running lights while the 3.8 Ultimate can now be had with a brown leather interior.

If the 2.0T does disappear, what will replace it is a mystery. Earlier this year Hyundai revealed the HND-9 Venace Concept (seen above) at the Seoul Motor Show, a car that previews what we can expect in a new Genesis Coupe. In that concept, power came from a 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 that puts out 370 hp, which could become the new high-end engine option while the 3.8 moves down market.

A Hyundai spokesman declined to comment, saying that the brand hasn’t “finalized packaging for the 2015 Genesis Coupe.”
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...rops-2-0t.html
Old 05-27-14, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689

Axing the 2.0T is a bold move. I see what you're doing Hyundai.
Old 05-29-14, 03:08 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2015 Hyundai Genesis Coupe dumps turbo four, goes V6 only

Hyundai's rear-wheel-drive Genesis Coupe has been soldiering along for several years with the choice of either a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder or a 3.8-liter V6, but that's about to change. Hyundai Motor America spokesperson Jim Trainor has confirmed to Autoblog: "The 2.0L Turbo engine will be discontinued starting with the 2015 model year, allowing us to reposition Genesis Coupe with its more premium performance buyer."

Rumors of the change first emerged over at The Korean Car Blog, which cited the company's ordering system as proof of the change, and it claims that there are some other changes in store for the 2015 Coupe as well. According to KCB, the base Genesis will use the 3.8 and will continue to be offered with either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic. Upgrading to the R-Spec model will add LED running lights, but other exterior appearance changes are unclear. Finally, the Grand Touring version will be dropped entirely, and the Ultimate trim will gain optional brown leather.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/29/2...coupe-v6-only/
Old 05-29-14, 03:13 PM
Hoovey689

5/27
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Axing the 2.0T is a bold move. I see what you're doing Hyundai.
5/29
"The 2.0L Turbo engine will be discontinued starting with the 2015 model year, allowing us to reposition Genesis Coupe with its more premium performance buyer."
And there it is
Old 05-30-14, 08:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Looks like they are wanting to move the Hyundai brand up class.
Old 05-30-14, 09:07 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Regarding the current coupe, they really killed with the ugly grill
Last one looked great.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

The question is can they eventually break their current value image and be seen as a upscale/premium brand as they continually push and test price brackets? Perhaps they should spin off an actual Luxury or Premium brand? What are your thoughts?
I can see them getting there.

Tier 1-not yet
Tier 2-Most definitely. There's nothing from Acura, Buick, volvo.... that interests me.
Old 05-30-14, 09:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

If they are really trying to move the brand up market, I wonder what would happen to the lower end models like the Accent, Elantra, and Veloster.

Quick Reply: Hyundai sketches out HND-9 luxury sports coupe concept