Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 09:41 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nope, it's standard, and they don't make a second/differentiated floor system for a 2-row version.
That's disappointing. My last '07 Highlander did have the option.
Old 08-15-14, 10:03 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

imo, the LE Plus is the best trim money can buy. you get the semi-leather seatings, same wheels as XLE but minus the moon roof and navigation which i can live with.
Old 08-15-14, 10:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also a little disappointed that there are no LED tails or HID headlights, but consider the audience here - I don't think they really know the difference, and it also gives Toyota some things to update at the refresh in a year and a half or two.

I don't know that we'll see the Highlander get HIDs though, even on the Limited model. At the Mid-$40k mark, should it be included? Yeah, probably, but I think Toyota is going to keep those features for Lexus (for now). I think that once we see HID as standard and LED as optional for Lexus, HID might become an option for Toyota on top end trims.
Old 08-15-14, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Just wondering, Is it possible to order the Highlander without the third row seat? I have no need for a hobbit seat, just think of the extra storage under the floor you'd gain.
no but you can with the sorento, and also save $1200 too. and yeah, it adds loads of space.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I don't know that we'll see the Highlander get HIDs though, even on the Limited model. At the Mid-$40k mark, should it be included? Yeah, probably, but I think Toyota is going to keep those features for Lexus (for now). I think that once we see HID as standard and LED as optional for Lexus, HID might become an option for Toyota on top end trims.
well doesn't a corolla now have LED headlights?
Old 08-15-14, 11:23 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Yup and they come standard too.
Old 08-15-14, 11:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^oh, good point(s)!
Old 08-15-14, 12:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yup and they come standard too.
most people here didnt think they are big feature for Corolla (in our Corolla thread)... now of course, it would be big feature for Highlander :-).

They might introduce them once new RX and TX come out and when RX gets more tech and features.
Old 08-15-14, 01:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

I'm a fan of all things LED on cars
Old 08-15-14, 01:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm a fan of all things LED on cars
yep... they look great and obviously Corolla is now leader in the segment, no doubt partially due to the LEDs being standard :-)
Old 08-15-14, 03:39 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am also a little disappointed that there are no LED tails or HID headlights, but consider the audience here - I don't think they really know the difference, and it also gives Toyota some things to update at the refresh in a year and a half or two.

Mazda and Hyundai offer it in top levels. I bet the new Sorento will too. I'm wondering if the '16 Pilot Touring will have them as the Accord Touring has LED headlights. Surprisingly, the Pathfinder is the only Nissan SUV that doesn't offer HIDs.

I see Toyota adding them at the next refresh to keep up.
Old 08-15-14, 03:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Mazda and Hyundai offer it in top levels. I bet the new Sorento will too. I'm wondering if the '16 Pilot Touring will have them as the Accord Touring has LED headlights. Surprisingly, the Pathfinder is the only Nissan SUV that doesn't offer HIDs. I see Toyota adding them at the next refresh to keep up.
I think they offer LED headlights on the pathfinder hybrid. I don't know why they limit something like better optics to the least selling model. At least offer it as an option.
Old 08-15-14, 03:54 PM
LexFather

bitkahuna, based on what you've said, if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until the new Kia Sorento debuts, which should be very early 2015. From what I know it'll have a lot of what you're looking for and shouldn't be saddled with the rear entertainment, etc.
Why stop there, let him wait for the next generation highlander in 2019.

The 2015 Acura MDX doesn't have LED tails, it has lame halogens. TO make it more odd, the last gen had LED lights. The RDX has halogens too. I don't think I saw one person here complain about that.

They all cheaped out, they all should have LEDs, it looks ridiculous in 2014.

Oddly enough the Highlander in upper trim levels has a separate LED DRL...I want to say I took pics of it and have it somewhere. It did strike me as more odd since it didn't have HID's, I thought I was seeing things.

Old 08-15-14, 05:34 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
How is this even a suggestion? We're just a few months away from the Sorento launching. Some people would obviously wait a few months if something competitive is around the corner.

Beside, next generation Highlander would then have the same lifecycle issues. It would revert back to bulb type rear tail lamps after likely having received LED's during the current generation's mid cycle refresh haha
Old 08-15-14, 06:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather

The 2015 Acura MDX doesn't have LED tails, it has lame halogens. TO make it more odd, the last gen had LED lights. The RDX has halogens too. I don't think I saw one person here complain about that.

They all cheaped out, they all should have LEDs, it looks ridiculous in 2014.

Oddly enough the Highlander in upper trim levels has a separate LED DRL...I want to say I took pics of it and have it somewhere. It did strike me as more odd since it didn't have HID's, I thought I was seeing things
It's on the Limited only.
Old 08-15-14, 07:36 PM
LexFather

How is this even a suggestion? We're just a few months away from the Sorento launching. Some people would obviously wait a few months if something competitive is around the corner.

Beside, next generation Highlander would then have the same lifecycle issues. It would revert back to bulb type rear tail lamps after likely having received LED's during the current generation's mid cycle refresh haha
Because you are obviously promoting Hyundai/Kia here while finding anyway possible to diminish Toyota/Lexus here.

How cute.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread