Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 06:28 PM
LexFather

I'm happy Toyota and Lexus continues to move away from styling cues inside and out….I'm sure this thing is going to sell...

Old 12-17-13, 09:55 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Really like the interior. Not so crazy about the exterior. Don't like those rims either. Hope it sells well for Toyota though.

Love Toyota articles on Autoblog, always a great source of amusement in the usually vast number of comments they generate. Nothing brings out the haters more than a positive Toyota article. (And especially those about its pickups)
Old 12-17-13, 10:23 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front end still needs a lot of work. The rest of it is not bad. The interior of this looks to be very high quality, just like the Avalon.
Old 12-17-13, 10:24 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Really like the interior. Not so crazy about the exterior. Don't like those rims either. Hope it sells well for Toyota though.

Love Toyota articles on Autoblog, always a great source of amusement in the usually vast number of comments they generate. Nothing brings out the haters more than a positive Toyota article. (And especially those about its pickups)
They always generate the most comments. Just look at any Camry or Corolla article. 350+ comments, easily. So much for "boring" cars.
Old 12-18-13, 02:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't like the exterior, but I do like those gauges
nav is also very high resolution.
Old 12-18-13, 08:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well new Highlander seems to be all new platform, just like Rav4. Or Yaris. Not sure about Corolla, its got longer wheelbase, different suspension in Europe and really it drives very different from old one. New global platform that they are talking about will be first in Prius and then spread through next 7-8 years to all of the similar sized vehicles.

About CVT better than 6AT, I think 6AT in V6 is far superior choice.

Actually If you get to try new Highlander, let us know what do you think about it. Old one had 5AT and overall looked a lot worse car. Autoblog wrote how they would think new one is a lexus if they were driving it blind folded.
Much like Camry, I think the Rav4 and this Highlander are on upgraded versions of the previous platform. I'm sure that the Camry and Rav4 are, but not 100% on the Highlander. A lot of it has to do with what people consider a platform in the first place...I think Toyota has been making heavy refinements to existing platforms and then calling them "all-new", but at the end of the day, I really don't care much about that and am more concerned with how well it performs.

I would tend to agree with you that a traditional automatic is better suited for 6 and 8 cylinder engines, but imagine that we will see CVT mated to 4 cylinder engines across the line in the next few years.

I do look forward to seeing the new Highlander in person. I test drove the current model when I was test driving cars earlier this year, and absolutely hated it. Suspension was very soft, steering was weightless, etc. I think the new Highlander also has DTC AWD like Rav4, which is a great system
Old 12-18-13, 08:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Here's Autoweek's take on the new Highlander. Worth a read.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...EWS/131219928#
Old 12-18-13, 09:04 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Funny how one reviewer's most hated feature can be another's favorite.

Overall, I think the new Highlander sounds pretty solid. That engine is old, but it's a good one and there's nothing wrong with it. Sounds like Toyota has done a nice job tuning and refining the suspension as well, and I bet the AWD model might actually be fun to drive. I love the DTC AWD in my Rav4 and in sport mode, it's actually pretty fun to toss around.

I'd like to test drive the new Highlander soon
Old 12-18-13, 09:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Funny how one reviewer's most hated feature can be another's favorite.
Exactly.

In the end, while reviews can be fun and interesting to read, the only one that really counts to me is my own. If I'm curious about a car, I'll drive it and see if I like it.

Our RX350 often takes a beating in the automotive press for not being sporty enough. But we drove it, liked it, bought it. We found it to be exactly what WE were looking for, and it has been the best vehicle we've ever purchased, even if it came in 4th out of 5 in a Car and Driver review.

To go back on topic (Highlander review), I am curious as to what of this new Highlander will make it to the new RX ('15?). The AWD system?
Old 12-18-13, 10:08 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

All in all, the reviews were rather positive (with the exception of the MT review), even from Autoblog which has, in the past, been known to take random, very nit-picky jabs at Toyota models they review.

I am waiting for it to arrive in Southern Ontario, Canada showrooms. Is it too much to hope to expect to see it at the dealership next week when I take my car in for service? There have been no reviews yet in the Canadian press.

I was interested in the Highlander Hybrid but it seems that it could be priced out of my range.

I also find this Highlander to be a bit too large. I wish there was something between the RAV4 (too small) and the Highlander (too big).
Old 12-18-13, 10:17 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I also find this Highlander to be a bit too large. I wish there was something between the RAV4 (too small) and the Highlander (too big).
4Runner - but obviously a very different type of beast.
RX350 - but a bit pricey

Outside of Toyota, the Jeep Grand Cherokee hits this sweet spot pretty well in my opinion. Acura RDX is also right in there as well.
Old 12-18-13, 10:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^Venza slots between them in price and size as well.
Old 12-18-13, 03:38 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't like the exterior, but I do like those gauges
They're better than the new ones Lexus use!
Old 12-18-13, 03:43 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My local dealership says they will be getting first shipments day after Xmas. With three kids, all in car seats, there are few options other than a minivan. Exterior looks are good enough. Interior looks like a huge step up. Expect the driving experience to be quite improved based on early reviews. We will likely go for the hybrid, as my wife has a long commute. Could be the perfect car.

I still can't believe that Lexus doesn't have a three row luxury crossover. It boggles the mind: How much revenue have they missed out on?
Old 12-18-13, 04:09 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
4Runner - but obviously a very different type of beast.
RX350 - but a bit pricey

Outside of Toyota, the Jeep Grand Cherokee hits this sweet spot pretty well in my opinion. Acura RDX is also right in there as well.
Yeah I know what you mean. Something like the Hyundai Santa Fe, not too big, yet not small either..

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread