Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 06:00 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks bland; like a typical Toyota.
Old 03-27-13, 06:03 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not bad. Much nicer than the 2013 Pathfinder.
Old 03-27-13, 06:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much better than what I was expecting, and the AWD model has Dynamic Torque Control!

I LOVE this thing!!
Old 03-27-13, 06:38 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What is dynamic torque control exactly?
Old 03-27-13, 06:57 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mehhh, not bad but I was expecting sleeker
Old 03-27-13, 07:09 AM
LexFather

Interior is well done! Exterior is meh but that's it's market... Gives me a grand Cherokee vibe for some reason.

Old 03-27-13, 07:36 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewSpace
What is dynamic torque control exactly?
Taken from Consumer Reports:

The RAV4 debuts Toyota’s latest all-wheel drive, called Dynamic Torque Control. It’s largely the same as the Active Torque Control system used on the outgoing RAV4, with an electronically controlled coupling mounted ahead of the rear differential to send torque rearward when needed. But the new AWD shifts the focus from saving you from foul weather to better overall handling. The signals that command the rear coupling are sent more frequently and take into account additional information sent by the engine, transaxle, and electronic power steering systems. A new Sport mode sets the Dynamic Torque Control parameters for quicker response and improved handling by sending 10 percent of torque to the rear as you turn into a corner. This mode also sends up to 50 percent of the available torque to the rear axle to help rotate the vehicle through the corner and mitigate understeer. The Sport feeling is further enhanced by reducing steering assist, sharpening the throttle response, and dialing back the stability control system.
I recently drove the new Rav4 in Sport mode and was very pleased. With more power, as in the Highlander V6, I think it would be even more enjoyable.
Old 03-27-13, 07:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vanilla.

It will sell lots.
Old 03-27-13, 07:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

high res pics are up, it looks nice... it will be a winner.. that front end is a bit weird in pics, everything else is really good... a lot more space in 3rd row, 3"/4.3" and bigger trunk too.

I guess someone could see it as bland, it just looks normal nice suv... I think i would buy it over RX right now, for family vehicle.
Old 03-27-13, 07:54 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No LED taillights.
HIDs available on the '14?
Old 03-27-13, 07:57 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Interior is well done! Exterior is meh but that's it's market... Gives me a grand Cherokee vibe for some reason.
I get a bit of a Cherokee vibe with the beefy fenders and some of the lines. It's like a CX-9, Rav 4, Q7 and Cherokee were thrown into a blender and this is the result.

I guess I'm sort of surprised to see some of you saying that it looks bland. I watched the reveal video and maybe it looks different in motion, but I really think this is a looker. It seems a few inches lower to the ground, it's four inches wider, larger fender flares, bigger wheels, more aggressive front end...It's easily better looking than the Pathfinder, Pilot, Acadia/Traverse and Explorer. The only two that come close to being as interesting looking are the Santa Fe Sport and CX-9. Only thing I'm unsure of is the rear altezza lights. I also agree that it would be nice to see the LEDs in the headlights instead of the foglights.

It looks like Toyota has also packed plenty of Avalon-esque goodies and some really nice luxury touches into the cabin. 8 inch nav is still not big, but an improvement over some other recent Toyotas.

I'd also personally choose it over an MDX or JX, but that's just me!

To see live pics and the reveal video, scroll down here: http://new.livestream.com/Toyota/NY2013
Old 03-27-13, 08:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I get a bit of a Cherokee vibe with the beefy fenders and some of the lines. It's like a CX-9, Rav 4, Q7 and Cherokee were thrown into a blender and this is the result.

I guess I'm sort of surprised to see some of you saying that it looks bland. I watched the reveal video and maybe it looks different in motion, but I really think this is a looker. It seems a few inches lower to the ground, it's four inches wider, larger fender flares, bigger wheels, more aggressive front end...It's easily better looking than the Pathfinder, Pilot, Acadia/Traverse and Explorer. The only two that come close to being as interesting looking are the Santa Fe Sport and CX-9. Only thing I'm unsure of is the rear altezza lights. I also agree that it would be nice to see the LEDs in the headlights instead of the foglights.

It looks like Toyota has also packed plenty of Avalon-esque goodies and some really nice luxury touches into the cabin. 8 inch nav is still not big, but an improvement over some other recent Toyotas.

I'd also personally choose it over an MDX or JX, but that's just me!

To see live pics and the reveal video, scroll down here: http://new.livestream.com/Toyota/NY2013

I'd go '14 Cherokee Limited or Overland over the Highlander.
Subject to change after seeing it next week.
Old 03-27-13, 08:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 03-27-13, 08:24 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite part of the new Highlander is the giant center console area that fits a purse.

Finally, a place to put my purse!!! lol
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Toyota Highlander thread-hl-purse.jpg  
Old 03-27-13, 08:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IntegresS
My favorite part of the new Highlander is the giant center console area that fits a purse.

Finally, a place to put my purse!!! lol

My wife's purse wouldn't fit there.The thing is huge.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread