Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota Highlander thread

Old 06-09-14, 10:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Highlander was the fastest and best handling?
when i drove a new highlander, i was surprised and impressed at the handling, particularly how flat it cornered (no noticeable body roll).
Old 06-09-14, 10:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know! FWD or AWD model? I assume FWD, being in Florida?
Old 06-09-14, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Good to know! FWD or AWD model? I assume FWD, being in Florida?
yes FWD. ....
Old 06-11-14, 12:16 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD First Test
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...wd_first_test/
Wherein Toyota One-Ups Itself and Nobody Else

The redesigned-for-2014 Toyota Highlander isn’t boring, or so claim its maker’s admen -- “Ain’t got no room for boring,” goes the commercial jingle as Muppets and Terry Crews engage in hijinks. The ads are goofy, but you’ll smile anyway. Who doesn’t like cheery puppets and Sergeant Jeffords? (The answer is killjoys. That's who.)

The three-row crossover did have room for improvement. The Highlander has new bodywork, better handling (allegedly), and is better suited to meet family needs, three focal points Toyota wanted to address with the latest model. In our book, the most important moving target is the family-friendly angle. As enthusiast choices in the division of midsize CUVs are few and far between, there’s no tangible upside to laboriously poring over performance. If you came to this website to read about the LaFerrari and your mouse/finger/stylus accidentally hit this story, feel free to leave your “Toyota is boring/tastes like vanilla” comment below.

But is it boring? After several days of fiddling in and around a middle-of-the-lineup Highlander XLE AWD, the two doodads that stuck out the most were the super-handy storage shelf spanning roughly two-thirds of the dashboard and the powered, height-adjustable liftgate that takes forever to open and close. The latter should be flagged a standard feature because the only trim you won’t find it on is the four-cylinder LE. “Forever” translates to around 11 seconds to fully swing up after pressing the exterior open/close button and another 10 seconds to clamp shut. In the Great Contest of Midsize Three-Row Crossover Liftgate Openings and Closings with Arms Full of Bags, we’ve yet to run into another contender that takes as long. (Insert some safety-related counterargument here.)

That’s about it for memorable attributes. Toyota hasn’t thrown any haymakers in an attempt to make the newest generation sizzle and pop among its peers. The previous-gen Highlander was highly competent -- the last time one stopped by, it picked up third place in a six-vehicle comparison (“SUV Six Ways,” May 2011). The current Highlander is highly competent with mostly the same pluses and minuses.

The best word to describe the interior is “purposeful.” It’s focused on functionality and doesn’t try to impress you with its largely absent premium-ness. Presentation and touch and feel won’t wow if you’ve done some cross-shopping, not surprising if you knew the older Highlander. But having a straightforward cabin layout has its perks. Center stack controls are big (a tradition carried over from the preceding model) except for the radio tune ****, which is far from reach unless you’re in the passenger seat. The in-dash shelf has a hole cut into its base where you can thread cables to the lower 12-volt receptacle and auxiliary and USB ports, promoting a clean aesthetic and possibly, fewer entanglements. The huge center console bin, measured at an official capacity of 6.5 gallons, is a neat idea but is less accessible to shorter drivers because moving the seat forward puts your arm at an awkward angle to reach in. It could use a liner of grippy material to keep loose items from slithering around on the bare plastic bottom. The bin’s roll-back cover doubles as an armrest and reminds us of the roll-up door on a wooden bread box: How quaint.

Continuing with family friendliness, the ingress, egress, and ability to fit a car seat are as easy as one could hope (no surprises here). The first and second rows, particularly the legroom, are commendable. The 60/40-splittable second-row bench offers plenty of available fore/aft movement, while its large, easy to grasp, low-tension grab handles make moving it a breeze. The seats can be positioned toward the front enough to where staffers about the same height as Terry Crews (he’s 6’2” or 6’3” depending on the Internet source) can smoothly drop into the rearmost, 60/40-folding row.

Physically sitting in the nosebleeds is another matter. As with past Highlanders, the third row is…well, avoid sitting back there. Specs and individual experience tell us the back is one of the tightest in the class, with headroom notably lacking. There’s even less space for heads and legs compared with last year’s model. You could pack children in, as long as you never let them luxuriate in the adult-ready accommodations provided by the Dodge Durango, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, etc. A Sienna, with its low load floor and side sliding doors, would be better. The minivan is also not as fuel thirsty, with a front-wheel-drive SE trim achieving 20/27/23 mpg city/highway/combined in the real world to our AWD Highlander’s 17/24/19 mpg.

Both use Toyota’s 3.5-liter V-6 and it does what it’s always done: feel underrated for its quoted output. As proven in the Camry, dearly departed RAV4 V-6, and the last Highlander, the six-cylinder brings credible hustle, launching our XLE AWD test crossover from 0-60 mph in 7.1 seconds. The Highlander is still (likely unintentionally) the speed demon of mainstream three-row CUVs. Its 112-foot braking distance from 60 mph improves on 122 feet. It circled the figure eight in 27.8 seconds at 0.62 average g, meaning it made it all the way around without rolling over.

When not driven aggressively, the Highlander rides and conducts itself in its familiar, undistinguished manner. A 2011 Limited model with 19-inch wheels was knocked for its wobbliness at speed. With 18s mounted, the ’14 XLE sailed along just fine, hitting a middle area between road conquerors Durango and Chevrolet Traverse on the plush end and the “they’re still around?” company of the truck-ish Pilot and sporty Mazda CX-9 on the other. It’s an undeniably big vehicle (oddly, it doesn’t convey through the steering wheel that it’s much smaller than a full-size Sequoia), yet it doesn’t feel as substantial as other competitors named. Interior noise is similarly unremarkable, not quiet enough to praise and not deafening enough to lambast. The whole crossover has a Dan Marino quality to it: It’s accomplished and you know it’s durable, but without a couple key feathers in its cap, the air of unfinished business is palpable. Come to think of it, being assigned to put the ultimate touches to produce a standout CUV wouldn’t be a boring gig.

The Highlander has a lot to like if you’re jonesing for three rows and plan to never press the desperation seats into service (more cargo area!) It certainly makes dollar sense, as IntelliChoice tabulates its 5-year cost of ownership to be advantageous against numerous other selections within the segment. (Its projected 57-percent residual is astonishing.) So if you’re in the market, stop by your local Toyota dealer and ask for Kermit, Gonzo, or the guy from the Old Spice commercials.
Old 06-11-14, 08:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Interesting that they criticize the CX-9 as having somewhat dull/lazy driving dynamics. Haven't heard that before. Highlander was the fastest and best handling?

I wonder what, if any, the regional differences are in suspension tuning.
it gets interesting once cars get really tested against each other, and not just journalists repeating old mantra about Toyota being bland and boring.
Old 06-13-14, 02:02 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got a chance to drive both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder versions.

surprisingly, the 4 cylinder felt quite adequate and light on the pedal from a stop. The 6 cylinder felt heavier from a stop. But the 6 cylinder really shows it's power when driving above 45 mph when you need that extra power.

it's a very good looking suv. Probably one of the best looking suv's in the market right now. It's very attractive.
Old 06-13-14, 06:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, after reading that Motor Trend review, I'm not convinced that they actually drove the Highlander. The new one is such a huge step up in driving dynamics over the old model...it's like night and day. And a lack of premium-ness on the interior? No.
Old 06-13-14, 06:33 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I finally got a chance to drive both the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder versions.

surprisingly, the 4 cylinder felt quite adequate and light on the pedal from a stop. The 6 cylinder felt heavier from a stop. But the 6 cylinder really shows it's power when driving above 45 mph when you need that extra power.

it's a very good looking suv. Probably one of the best looking suv's in the market right now. It's very attractive.
Not surprising considering how the 2.7L is a very long stroke engine, whooping 105mm of stroke!

In comparison to a stroke of only 83mm for the V6
Old 07-03-14, 12:44 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

This Toyota Highlander video review covers all you need to know about this three-row, eight-passenger family crossover. We discuss fuel economy, price, safety ratings, interior space, its in-car electronics and how it compares to other SUVs.
Old 08-15-14, 06:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

recently test drove a highlander (again) to see if it might work for me.

turns out in these parts at least no one sells the 4 cylinder, not that i'm interested anyway. i drove a limited 2wd. the tried and true v6 and 6 speed auto are a great combo - very smooth, plenty powerful enough, although there is a surprisingly annoying low pitch exhaust drone on part throttle. but when cruising the vehicle is nice and quiet. in fact, i believe it's quieter than a new '14 lexus rx i've been in a couple of times recently.

the 'tech' and interior in general is very nicely done. i like the touch screen (vs. weird controllers). i'd have to get used to a 'stalk' again for cruise control (vs. buttons on my explorer steering wheel) but it's ok. the ventilated seats seemed barely noticeable.

i'd previously driven an 'ash' (light gray) interior which i thought looked great, but at a different dealer i didn't drive but looked all over one with a black interior. this latter one definitely wasn't fully 'cleaned up' by the dealer, and i noticed things like scuff marks on the plastic threshold into the front seat. with the limited you get 'captains chairs' in the second row instead of a bench (i'd prefer a bench which is available in lower trims but then you can't get tech package) and there's this fold up/down cup holder shelf thingy on the passenger side captain's chair which is an uber-cheap piece of textured hard plastic, which will inevitably get scratched and scuffed.

i'm pretty surprised that for 2014 and 2015 i believe, the highlander still doesn't have LED tail lights, and not even HID (let alone LED) headlights available even on top limited trim.

as the above review says, the power lift gate does take 'forever' to open and close. getting in and out of the third row seats almost requires gymnastic skills but once in place, they're not bad. i don't actually need a third row, but would like the extra space with them folded down. turns out if they're folded down, a cargo cover doesn't actually cover the whole area leaving outside eyes able to see valuables in - not good. if the 2nd row seats are also folded, there's a gap between them and the folded third row even with the 2nd row seats adjusted all the way back.

onto more positive notes... the jbl stereo in the limited trim is surprisingly, really good. while the cool 'shelf' that runs across the bottom of the front dash is nice, there's no cubby to actually hide an ipod for music. they have this odd 'hole' pass thru for a cable from the usb jack to the shelf, which would leave a cable visible and messy.

the seats are very comfortable, with huge front leg room and lots of adjustments, even with thigh bolster fore/aft.

with the tech package you get adaptive cruise (a strong want for me) and lane departure alert, but it seems to often only be available with the blu-ray/rear-screen entertainment package, an $1800 hulking lump stuck to the ceiling that i would NEVER use.

it has back parking sensors on the limited but no front.
visibility while driving though seems decent for a large vehicle like this.

when i first drove one i thought i was quite smitten, but upon reflection with so many compromises, missing features and 'nits', i'm not so sure.
Old 08-15-14, 07:48 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

we are seriously debating whether to go with the new Highlander or the refreshed Sienna to replace our Pilot.
Old 08-15-14, 08:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

bitkahuna, based on what you've said, if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until the new Kia Sorento debuts, which should be very early 2015. From what I know it'll have a lot of what you're looking for and shouldn't be saddled with the rear entertainment, etc.
Old 08-15-14, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
bitkahuna, based on what you've said, if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait until the new Kia Sorento debuts, which should be very early 2015. From what I know it'll have a lot of what you're looking for and shouldn't be saddled with the rear entertainment, etc.
thanks. not to take this thread off topic though... the highlander CAN be had with tech package and no rear entertainment in theory, they're not together. availability may be light everywhere i don't know, but i suspect given that florida is controlled by a distributed (southest toyota) availability is even tighter.

but yeah i'm not in a hurry.
Old 08-15-14, 09:26 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just wondering, Is it possible to order the Highlander without the third row seat? I have no need for a hobbit seat, just think of the extra storage under the floor you'd gain.
Old 08-15-14, 09:29 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Just wondering, Is it possible to order the Highlander without the third row seat? I have no need for a hobbit seat, just think of the extra storage under the floor you'd gain.
Nope, it's standard, and they don't make a second/differentiated floor system for a 2-row version.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota Highlander thread