Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Presidential Limo Stalls in Israel - Wrong Fuel Blamed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 05:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It certainly isn't the first time somebody pumped gasoline into a diesel's tank, but this time it was expensive. President Obama's limo, "The Beast", that appears to be a Cadillac limo is actually a plus-size Caddy built on a Chevy Kodiak truck chassis and sporting a diesel engine. Too bad nobody took time to add the "Diesel Only" placards to the fuel flap. Now they're flying a backup Beast to Israel for the President. You know that is going to be expensive too.
don't worry about it, money is no object for this guy....
Old 03-21-13, 07:49 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Those SS guys on protective detail are HUGE. I remember when I was in college President Johnson's daughter Linda had a shiny new baby blue Mercury convertible she would drive in Austin. A tall, skinny girl . . . accompanied by 4 secret service men . . . looked like a stork chauffeuring a herd of rhinos. One in the passenger's seat and three squeezed into the back - each well over 6' and 240 lbs. Was she dating all the 'Horns down linemen simultaneously? I don't think they could put the top up, the guy riding the hump was actually looking over the windshield. Poor Merc dragged its rear bumper on the slightest bump.

Yeah, there is a downside to the office . . . at least for the family.
Old 03-21-13, 09:11 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It stalled just like the peace process there.
Old 03-21-13, 09:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Someone correct me.
I THOUGHT the gas opening is different for diesel vs. regular gasoline to PREVENT this from happening.

I stopped a lady from putting in diesel (green) in her camry when she kept shoving the gas thing into the tank and (luckily) it didn't fit to go in.
Old 03-21-13, 09:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Someone correct me.
I THOUGHT the gas opening is different for diesel vs. regular gasoline to PREVENT this from happening.
In America yes.

Dunno about other countries.
Old 03-21-13, 10:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah, but that only works one way. The diesel nozzle is too big for the gas neck, but the gas nozzle obviously fits into the diesel neck. Lots of people on diesel forums b****ing about Ford/Chevy/Dodge for not warrantying the damage to their engines because they put gasoline in instead of diesel.
Old 03-21-13, 12:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My friend accidently put gas in a deisel rental when filling up at 2am, he called me and asked if that was going to destroy the engine. I said probably but let me go look up how bad it is, it would be bad if there was a significant amount of gas in it so he had to call someone to drain the gas, not fun when it is freezing out at 2am. I have seen where some truckers in really cold climates add a little gas in their diesel tanks to help with starting/running but too much will most likely ruin the engine. From what I have read adding gas to diesel is much worse then diesel to a gas engine, the gas engine will most likely just shut down but won't grenade or be damaged too bad.

I let my cousin fill my car up once before we went to the beach and he almost put diesel in my Eclipse, luckily the the nozzle would not fit and he told me he was having trouble before trying to force it in or squirt it in.
Old 03-22-13, 08:21 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A little diesel in your gas won't hurt - if you use products like Sea Foam, Casite, or other "engine cleaning" additives, the contents of that pricey can is roughly 4 parts diesel cut with 2 parts naphtha, and 1 part isopropyl alcohol. It does the job as advertised.

Putting motor gasoline in a diesel engine is another story, and leads to some serious damage. Unfortunately, the small nozzle standardized for unleaded fuel is easily swallowed up by the rather large filler neck for diesel fuel. It's Darwinism in reverse - when the world designs something to be "fool proof", nature responds with a lower grade of fool.