Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus cancel the ES?
Yes
20.45%
No
79.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus to Cancel ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-12, 06:37 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Lexus get's rid of the ES can VW get rid of almost half of Audi's from the A4-A8? An Audi R8 is a Lamborghini!

All companies do this from BMW to American cars. Saves money and is more profitable.
Old 03-04-12, 06:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Get rid of the ES ??? Are you familiar with Lexus sales numbers ???? I would take a look.
Old 03-04-12, 06:43 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Yes I know its a BIG seller and its a nice car, BUT the engineering from the beginning was based on Toyota philosophy not Lexus. I don't mind the 2 brands sharing parts, technology, etc. but their Philosophy and Purpose need to be DIFFERENT.

The GS is a better car by far BUT it suffers because the ES has similar qualities at a cheaper price. What is the point? Lexus is only hurting themselves here.

All the ES sales will not disappear - those customers will buy the GS. Just like 5-7k sales go to E Class and 5 Series each month.
Camry and ES share chassis with each other, doesn't mean they have the same philosophy.
GS is a smaller car inside, and is stiffer. ES is a smaller LS while GS is a bigger IS. I don't see having both would hurt Lexus than having only one.
Old 03-04-12, 06:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly the worst thread topic I've seen in a while. I'm glad everyone else seems to have their heads on straight and have said all that I'd want to say.
Old 03-04-12, 07:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pbm317
Possibly the worst thread topic I've seen in a while. I'm glad everyone else seems to have their heads on straight and have said all that I'd want to say.
A few of us had some good laughs at a meet today of the comedy of CL.

Old 03-04-12, 07:29 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO the Lexus ES is not a true Lexus and should be cancelled. I want Lexus to get away from all their products tied to Toyotas that are just rebadged with better interiors.

1) Brand Image would be much better if Lexus didn't have a car that uses the same Engine and Chassis as a Camry!

2) Not enough differentiation between the GS and ES. The Lexus GS will never sell well bec its main competition is the ES right next to it in the showroom. The average Joe doesn't care about RWD/FWD but about price. ES is same size, has same features for LESS $$$$$. I guarantee GS sales will suffer once the new ES is released later this year. It's silly to sell 2 cars of the same size for similar price!

3) If they cancel it, 90% of ES buyers will remain with Lexus and just buy the GS. Bring over the GS250 with a starting price of high 30s to low 40s.

4) Lexus can use the resources (R&D and marketing dollars) spent on the ES, to develop other segments which they are lacking in - such as COUPES, F Models or more HYBRIDS. OR they can just put all that $$$$$ into 1 model - the GS, and make it GREAT!

5) Yes the ES is a nice car but its still based on plain 20k Camry. With the new and improved Avalon coming soon, Lexus/Toyota has too many models targeting the same buyer. The GS can't build a solid following because of this.
I think that's somewhat true. Take for instance BMW and MB, they don't offer nothing between their C and E' class/3 and 5 series. If Lexus would ever even consider canceling ES i'm sure it would have a great positive impact on GS sales.
Personally i don't have anything against ES, but it's not a car for me. I had a 11' loaner, it's nice and quiet, but drives like a boat:P
Old 03-04-12, 07:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not stupid, Lexus will probably never cancel the ES, but as a fan of Lexus, I wish they would and focus on their other car models more - GS, IS, LS. They have done a great job with the 2IS and I hope the 3IS builds on it with more models (coupe, wagon). I love the new emphasis on F SPORT.

I guess most of you are focusing on my comment of ES being based on Camry. I'm surprised there are so many ES fans here. IMO it's the LAST Lexus model I would consider.

My main point is: What is the POINT of selling of TWO models that target the SAME buyer, featuring the SAME options, SAME size, for similar price?
I know enthusiasts would never cross-shop the GS/ES but the general public does. Most people would probably NOT KNOW a difference between them.
Old 03-04-12, 07:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everyone else, ES is not going anywhere, and it definitely belongs in the Lexus line up.
Old 03-04-12, 07:40 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The GS is an easy $10k higher than the ES and is in a whole different price range. Target buyers are much different too with the average age the biggest one.
Old 03-04-12, 07:41 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If the ES had not been available in 2008 when I bought my wife's car, I would have bought something other than a Lexus. The GS was much too small (interior and trunk) to serve as a sedan so I would likely have bought an Infiniti M35. If Lexus were to drop any of their current models, the slow selling GS should be the one dropped.
Steve
Old 03-04-12, 08:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

/threadfail

ES was launched originally with LS. it is hugely successful. it is basically an LS at 60% the price.

chance of ES going away in next decade: 0
Old 03-04-12, 09:11 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I agree with everyone else, ES is not going anywhere, and it definitely belongs in the Lexus line up.
I agree with you and 1. My very first Lexus was a 1996 ES 300. At that time there was no IS and the ES was the entry level vehicle and still is along side the IS, CT and RX. I also owned a 1996 GS 300 and definitely a different vehicle.

I say leave the ES alone and expand Lexus as a whole. Actually Lexus could expand the ES line:

ES 300h
ES 250 (China)
ES 350
ES 350C (Convertible based on the Solara)
ES 350C (Fixed hard top coupe based on the Solara)
ES 350 Sportcross (Based on the Camry wagon)

How about that?

Last edited by Trexus; 03-05-12 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 09:26 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoever said the ES isn't a real Lexus can go **** off. Its their best selling car and its one of the original 2 Lexus models.
go do any amount of research and you'll find an ES has many differences from the camry. its smoother, quieter, more refined and the fit and finish is excellent. they're reliable, efficient, decently powerful, safe and luxurious. If that doesn't scream LEXUS i don't know what does.
if anything they should expand the ES line to include a 4cyl hybrid model in addition to the V6 model, and introduce a smaller V6 option as well to drop the price point to low 30's to entice more buyers

Last edited by 03 ES; 03-04-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-04-12, 09:28 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS may have put Lexus on the map but all those ES's are what has financed them since day 1.
Old 03-04-12, 09:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I'm not stupid, Lexus will probably never cancel the ES, but as a fan of Lexus, I wish they would and focus on their other car models more - GS, IS, LS. They have done a great job with the 2IS and I hope the 3IS builds on it with more models (coupe, wagon). I love the new emphasis on F SPORT.

I guess most of you are focusing on my comment of ES being based on Camry. I'm surprised there are so many ES fans here. IMO it's the LAST Lexus model I would consider.

My main point is: What is the POINT of selling of TWO models that target the SAME buyer, featuring the SAME options, SAME size, for similar price?
I know enthusiasts would never cross-shop the GS/ES but the general public does. Most people would probably NOT KNOW a difference between them.
I think you have insulted everyone on CL and most important, you have insulted yourself.

Before there was a GS, IS, LX etc, there was just the LS and ES. Both represent what Lexus was all about when it was born in 1988. Today, the ES is one of the best selling Lexus models of all time. To cancel it would be rediculous.

Now, evolved the ES? Yes, I would agree, the current ES leaves a lot to be desired (that is just my opinion). But to cancel it, you are plan out of touch with reality.

Perhaps evolve the ES into a bigger car? A V8? Maybe install a hybrid system? Now that would make sense.

Finally, the ES and GS are not cross shopped. Never have.

You need to come back to reality.

Quick Reply: Lexus to Cancel ES?