Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you miss the "old" Lexus ways?
No, sport all the way!
35.09%
Yes, refinement is still king
17.54%
Not sure, I like 'em 50/50
47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Your thoughts on Lexus's new direction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 11:13 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on Lexus's new direction?

Since the announcement of the LFA production back in 2009, we saw Lexus have a huge focus on sport and performance. It has become their priority now. Look at the newest GS, IS, and LS versions. Each of those have become increasingly "sporty". Even the ES is touted as having better handling in it's advertisements. Granted that the GS and IS are sport sedans already, but it seems out of place for the ES and LS, as they have traditionally been luxury and comfort oriented.

I can't help but reminisce about the past when I see the new LS/ES models. Back when Lexus was associated with soft/comfy/quiet. Now the public still views the brand in that manner, but less so. With the way that the car market is, it seems as if every model needs to have a boost of adrenaline/testosterone for the next generation in order to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to see Lexus no longer being seen as an "old person's car" but there is just that certain feeling of the past that I like.

The LS's evolution, in particular, has left me nostalgic. It used to be one of the quietest (if not most), most comfortable production sedans. The 600h L hybrid, to me, represented the pinnacle of refinement and isolation. The addition of the F sport in 2013 has left me wondering if Lexus will ever aim to create the most refined luxury sedan ever again in the future. Or if it will now be constantly chasing the game of sport....

I am sure I am not the only one. Your thoughts?

Last edited by trexlexus; 03-16-13 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 11:37 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope this new direction leads to MORE full-fledged F models that actually compete or at very least match with the offerings of performance divisions from different premium automobile brands.

GS-F, LS-F..............come on!!!

Old 03-17-13, 03:07 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Has it really become their "priority"? I don't think your premise is right at all. There is no GS-F, no LFA successor, the LF-LC as it stands is a hybrid-only offering, and Lexus hasn't even come out with an (official) response to dreamed-up media rumors of the IS F demise. Given the lack of performance-focused offerings in Lexus' future, I think it's tough to argue that there's some huge movement towards sport and performance.

Even the current lineup doesn't show it. As you allude to, the current GS is what the GS should have been all along. And IMO, the IS needs similar improvements before being at the same level of its luxury sport sedan competitors. Even the press releases for the new ES that I've seen talk about handling more in the context of safety than performance, pairing "enhanced handling" with terms like "stability" and "preciseness". The context suggests they're talking more about removing the floaty aloofness than giving it Porsche-like steering feel.

It's not like the LS is losing its environment-isolating ride quality. Until then, I don't think you have any cause for concern.
Old 03-17-13, 08:27 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm not a fan of the direction they're taking. I don't like how the spindle grille is going to be on every car. I liked it better when each car looked different from each other on the pre-2006 models. It seemed each car had it's own unique style.

I also think it's stupid how there still isn't an SC replacement or any other coupe besides the IS-C. There still isn't a GS-F and rumors say the IS-F could be discontinued. The LFA was a step in the right direction but it cost way too much money and was unattainable to the average luxury car buyer. They keep showing the LF-LC concept, which looks awesome, but they keep talking about it and still haven't released any production models.

The shift towards everything being sporty is interesting. The new GS is awesome and pretty sporty. I'm fine with that as long as Lexus can maintain a good balance between luxury and sport. Bring out some more two doors, GS-F, LS-F and I'll be happy.

Last edited by Kira X; 03-17-13 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-17-13, 10:08 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the direction of their chassis development.

I do not like the direction of styling
Old 03-17-13, 01:44 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

nope. awkward grille on a few models.

also, I hope adjustable suspension comes standard some day in all trim levels.

that way, you can have your bodyrolling floaty terribly handling luxobarge, or you can tighten up for sport.
Old 03-17-13, 02:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
The LS's evolution, in particular, has left me nostalgic. It used to be one of the quietest (if not most), most comfortable production sedans. The 600h L hybrid, to me, represented the pinnacle of refinement and isolation. The addition of the F sport in 2013 has left me wondering if Lexus will ever aim to create the most refined luxury sedan ever again in the future. Or if it will now be constantly chasing the game of sport....

I am sure I am not the only one. Your thoughts?
but 2013 LS600h is quieter and more luxurious than before, so whats the problem here exactly?

You dont have to get F-Sport if you dont want to.
Old 03-17-13, 02:54 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new direction is walking a fine line and I feel the execution has been lacking.
Old 03-17-13, 04:05 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

but 2013 LS600h is quieter and more luxurious than before, so whats the problem here exactly?

You dont have to get F-Sport if you dont want to.
I dont necessarily have a problem, I just feel that Lexus has lost a little bit of it's "define characteristic" if you will. Every luxury brand had it's "specialty".

BMW for sport
MB for prestige/luxury
Audi for their QUATTRO
Cadillac/Lincoln for huge, ostentatious cars like the DeVilles and Town Cars of old
Lexus for soft, quiet, and best-made
Bentley for sport with ultra luxury
Rolls Royce for ultra luxury street presence/bragging rights.

You guys get the point.

That was in the not so distant past. Now the market has changed and every one of the car companies above is aiming to increase sport, probably except RR. It is as if everyone will become one and the same.

Cars are now becoming ever more reliable than they used to be. Reliability used to be Lexus territory. Some companies have hybrids now, that used to be Lexus's playing field as well. Exaggerations aside, I am finding it harder and harder to see something that sets Lexus apart from the rest.
Old 03-17-13, 04:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I dont necessarily have a problem, I just feel that Lexus has lost a little bit of it's "define characteristic" if you will. Every luxury brand had it's "specialty".

BMW for sport
MB for prestige/luxury
Audi for their QUATTRO
Cadillac/Lincoln for huge, ostentatious cars like the DeVilles and Town Cars of old

You guys get the point.

That was in the not so distant past. Now the market has changed and every one of the car companies above is aiming to increase sport, probably except RR. It is as if everyone will become one and the same.

Cars are now becoming ever more reliable than they used to be. Reliability used to be Lexus territory. Some companies have hybrids now, that used to be Lexus's playing field as well. Exaggerations aside, I am finding it harder and harder to see something that sets Lexus apart from the rest.
but once again, 2013 Lexus LS600h is quieter and more luxurious than before...

I would understand if F-Sport was only option or if F-Sport changed regular 2013 LS, but it did not.

Just like how 2013 GS is actually more luxurious than before and quieter and better over the bumps over 3GS.
Old 03-17-13, 04:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

BMW for sport
MB for prestige/luxury
Audi for their QUATTRO

You guys get the point.

What do you mean used to be??

LOL, Lexus ranked 1st again in J.D. Power Dependability Study.

Old 03-17-13, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

what he meant was perception that cars are getting more and more reliable... which is true but as we can see above, Lexus is still 2x more reliable than Audi, plus these days if things go wrong and you are out of warranty, you are out of luck too.
Old 03-17-13, 05:03 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I would understand if F-Sport was only option or if F-Sport changed regular 2013 LS, but it did not.

Just like how 2013 GS is actually more luxurious than before and quieter and better over the bumps over 3GS.
I understand the F sport is just a package option, you make perfect sense in saying that. But what I am trying to get at is that with the addiction of an F sport badged vehicle in the series, to me, the LS has lost the focus on comfortable and plush.
What do you mean used to be??
When you have time, take a look at the following links.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1135149
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/40645489/ns/business-autos/

For those who didn't read those links, Porsche topped the JD Dependability study in 2010. A decade ago, it would be much more surprising.

I do not argue that Lexus on AVERAGE can't be matched when it comes to reliability. I am pointing out the fact that in recent times, Lexus has fallen a bit due to the unintended acceleration fiasco. At the same time, other brands are catching up. Whether or not the two will meet in the middle ground, is out of my knowledge as that is the future.

My point in saying this? Reliability used to be a unique trait to Lexus along with the others I mentioned earlier. If those traits aren't as focused, what sets Lexus apart?
Old 03-17-13, 05:36 PM
LexFather

I like the move to sport but I honestly am not floored with planning and their support of enthusiasts. We need a Mr. Toyoda type here, a real enthusiast, not people that got a MBA and this Excel spreadsheet says NO.

Seriously we might not have a real F product for a year or two. The LFA is done, the IS F is on the way out and we don't have anything to replace it.

They have done a great job with F-sport offerings and people are really buying them more as expected but what about the REAL ENTHUSIASTS. They have missed them and they continue to move on. If the yen is too costly get off your asses and make TRD/F-sport etc parts in American or Europe.

WHY THE HELL IS THE TMG LS 650 NOT BEING PRODUCED????? They need that type of follow up and interest NOW, not 3 years from now.

When you can chip an engine for 100-200hp and take out the program when you return the car, thats something. Lexus has strangled people that want more power.

Its obvious that Lexus being the sportiest in class arguable (LFA, GS) doesn't mean much to **** talking trolls and people that whack off to Penthouse covers in their mothers basement. The MESSAGE HAS BEEN MISSED. I read all the time people posting and acting like all Lexus drive like the 1989 LS 400. Some of us have been here for over a decade and stayed with the brand so we know EXACTLY what is what. Some of us drive tons of other vehicles. Some of us can offer Lexus true insight and not a focus group over Dom P and smoked Salmon asking would they like a different color leather.

If anything, a Lexus truly sets an enthusiast apart as after 25 or so years, they still are way behind in image in that regard.

And this is the first I've publicly stated it but if Lexus doesn't personally pick it up with this enthusiast (CHECK THE RESUME) I am gone.

Last edited by LexFather; 03-17-13 at 05:39 PM.

Old 03-17-13, 06:13 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I like the move to sport but I honestly am not floored with planning and their support of enthusiasts. We need a Mr. Toyoda type here, a real enthusiast, not people that got a MBA and this Excel spreadsheet says NO.
I agree. When the LFA was first released, it was clear those who worked within LFA and performance-related departments at Lexus had grandiose plans about supporting a Lexus enthusiast community. It is clear now that these plans did not have the support of higher-ups at corporate.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Lexus's new direction?