Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2013 Buick Encore

Old 03-16-13, 06:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2013 Buick Encore

A Review of the 2013 Buick Encore.

http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover.html

IN A NUTSHELL: After Buick's home run hit with the Verano last year, the Encore isn't much of an Encore.

CLOSEST COMPETITORS: (?) A good JEOPARDY question.......outside of (possibly) the Acura RDX, I really can't think of any.

(How's THAT for versatility?)

OVERVIEW:

Normally, in an auto-review, I save my verdict (and final conclusions) until last. But, this time, I'm going to break tradition, and for a reason.

Those of you who may think that, just because I got a new Verano last year, I've all of a sudden become a starry-eyed Buick fan-boy who thinks the company can do no wrong had better think again. My very high opinion of the Verano (a car that, IMO, is one of the best new Buick products of the last 40 years) does not carry over to the new Encore compact SUV. Now, I'm not saying the car is a piece of junk by any means......far from it. It has a number of good points, and I have my usual list of PLUSSES and MINUSES like with any other vehicle. But, as I see it, the Verano, overall, was done so well that the Encore, in comparison, is just........well, not that much of an Encore. Buick had a chance, with the Encore, to improve on the Verano's admittedly few shortcomings and, IMO, with one exception (the Encore's slightly softer-riding 55-series tires) just didn't do it. What's more, IMO, the Encore has
some new mistakes that the Verano generally avoided.

First, though, let's describe the vehicle itself. It is generally classed as a premium/borderline-luxury compact SUV. I first saw it at the D.C. Auto Show over a year ago, in January/February of 2012, up on a turntable, with the doors open to show the interior (I wanted to get in but they wouldn't let me). At the time, I thought it rather awkward-looking, overly-short and narrow for its height, although those tidy outside dimensions do make it relatively easy to manuver and park at close quarters. But, in the (recent) Buick tradition, it seemed to have a nice enough interior and enough chrome-bling on it to (properly, once again) wear the Buick tri-shield emblem. Though not visible to the naked eye underneath the sheet-metal and in the glass, Buick, of course, like with the Verano, also played up the Encore's special Quiet-Tuning. A number of parts from the Verano are used inside, primarily in the dash, steering wheel, and gauges, but it is obviously a completely different vehicle. Of course, with its squared-off body and high rooflne, it also has a lot more space inside, particularly in the back seat.

In Britain, Buick does not market vehicles under its own nameplate, so GM sells the same basic vehicle there, in a decontented and somewhat less-refined form, as the Chevrolet Trax and the Vauxhall Mokka (I don't know if Opel sells a version of it in Germany or not). The British TOP GEAR magazine (yes, the one with Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond), which I read regularly due to availability from a British friend of mine and his daughter, doesn't think much of the Trax/Mokka at all....they seriously pan it, more so than I do with the Encore. When Clarkson dislikes a vehicle, you know it......he doesn't pull any punches (I try to be as objective and level-headed as I can).

So then, that next brings up the question of just what vehicles the Encore, here in the U.S., is supposed to directly compete against. Your guess is probably as good as mine.....and, frankly, I can't really think of any. The cheaper European Trax/Mokka versions are not offered here in the U.S. Most of the small SUVs sold here in this size-class are less-expensive than the Encore and have entry-level nameplates like the Ford Escape, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan Rogue/Juke, Subaru Forester, etc.... The upmarket-nameplate entry-level SUVs (Cadillac SRX, BMW X1/X3, Mercedes GLK, Audi Q3/Q5, Land Rover Evoque, Lincoln MKX, etc.....) are all either somewhat larger and/or more expensive than the Encore. So, as I see it, with the (possible) exception of the Acura RDX, which is a little closer to the Encore's price-class and mission than the others I mentioned, the Encore is pretty much in a niche-class by itself....a very small premium/upmarket-nameplate SUV with few if any competitors. It will likely, of course, also be offered in China, since anything there with the Buick tri-shield on it goes like free beer at Clancy's.....and there, of course, it may have some competitors that it doesn't have here at home.

Initially, in the U.S. only one basic model of the Encore is offered, although there are several different packages (Encore/Convenience/Leather/Premium) that bump up the equipment and interior trim-level. All Encores use the same 1.4L turbocharged Ecotec in-line four a 6-speed auto-manual-shift transmission (I hesitate to call it Sport-Shift, since the rocker-shift switch is so awkward....more on that later). The four puts out 138 HP and 148 ft-lbs. of torque, which is OK for light loads, but might not cut it when more weight is added or in hilly country. The only true powertrain option, of course, is the choice of FWD or AWD for bad weather. Base prices run between $24,950 and $28,940, depending on the package. The size of the engine, BTW, was one of the things I questioned on this vehicle...more on that later.

I've actually been waiting for some time to review and test-drive one, as they have been rather slow to arrive at D.C.-area dealerships. A few days ago, though, I got a birthday card from the salesman who sold me my Verano last July (he's not the most outgoing auto-salesman I've met in the buisness, but is generally a nice guy....I've seen lots worse). Don't ask me which birthday it was.....I'm tired of counting them. Anyhow, he said, with the card, that new Encores were in stock now and ready for a test-drive. So, since the weather was decent in the Washington area today today (after several days of a biting cold wind), it was into my Verano and up to the local Chevy/Buick/GMC shop (some GM dealerships handle all three makes at once) for a test-drive. As the majority of recent winters here in the D.C. area have not had much snow or ice (2009-2010 was a notable excepton, with several major blizzards), and since the 1.4L engine looked a little small for the added weight/drag of AWD, I chose a bright blue FWD model for the review that seemed reasonably-priced and with a reasonable level of equipment.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2013 Buick Encore FWD Leather Group

BASE PRICE: $26,710

OPTIONS:

Upgraded 7-speaker Bose stereo: $595

Cargo Net: $50

Cargo Tray: $100

Premium Carpeted Floor Mats: $50

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $750 (a little less than average for this class)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $28,255

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 1.4L turbocharged Ecotec in-line four, 138 HP @ 4900-6000 RPM, 148 Ft-lbs. of torque at 1850-4900 RPM,
6-speed Sport (?) Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MLEAGE RATING:

25 City / 33 Highway (FWD)

23 CITY / 30 Highway (AWD)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Brilliant Blue Metallic

INTERIOR: Ebony Leather

PLUSSES:

Easy to manuver and park for an SUV.

Good underhood layout.

Good handling/steering response.

Low body roll by SUV standards.

Relatively well-done, responsive brakes.

Smooth-shifting transmission.

Reasonably smooth ride over bumps.

Good wind/road-noise isolation (hey, it's a Buick).

Decent paint-color choice.

Nice black cladding on lower-body protect paint from road-debris.

Easy entry/exit height for people my size (6" 2').

Good front-seat headroom even with sunroof.

Handy double-glovebox in the dash.

Good cargo room for its size.

Relatively comfortable front seats.

Well-padded (though firm) rear-seat cushion.

Nice interior trim materials.

Generous 6/70 and 4/50 warranties match that of some luxury-makes (including Lexus).

MINUSES:

Buzzy engine as RPMs climb.

Engine torque OK for light loads but questionable with more weight.

Awkward manual-shift rocker-switch for the transmission.

Pull-up lever instead of the Verano's electronic parking-brake.

Fold-down driver's arm-rest blocks parking-brake lever and seat-belt holster.

Manual driver's seatback-recline (instead of power) repeats a Verano mistake.

Paint job on a number of colors could be better.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Manual underhood prop-rod instead of struts.

Temporary spare tire.

Marginal headroom in the rear seat for those my height (6' 2") or more.

Questionable/unknown long-term reliability.

Possible (?) sample-defects in my sample vehicle....but that is not certain.

GOOFS ON MY PART (Maybe)?

This review, unfortunately, got off to a bad start in several ways....part of which may have been my own fault (yes, I'm being honest). After the salesperson gave me the key fob and a dealer-plate for the test-drive (he didn't have time to show me anything on the vehicle since he was working with a customer on a delivery, and I didn't want to distract him or mess up his deal), I went out myself and used the regular metal key in the outside door-lock instead of the electronic fob. To my embarassment, that unlocked the car, but immediately set off the security-alarm, which triggered the horn and flashing-headlights. I tried several different buttons and procedures before I finally got the system to turn off and shut up (no one inside came out). But that may (?) have messed up the On-Star and video-screen on the Buick Intellink system. I was able to drive it OK, and the regular stereo/climate buttons on the dash worked OK, but none of the touch-icons in the screen worked at all. I was half-expecting the On-Star people at their national center to detect this car as stolen, GPS-track it, and have the nearest police cars come after me and arrest me...but that didn't happen. Of course, if it did, I had dealer test-drive plates, my Drivers' License, authorization to drive it, and an alibi.

Then, on top of that, there was the matter of the tire PSIs. As is often the case, the PDI guys didn't adjust the tires when this car came off the transporter and was unloaded at the dealership (They SAY they do, and, in fact, are supposed to do so by their own job-description, but, in fact, much of the time, they don't). Sure enough, all four tires felt rock-hard, and the automatic PSI-indicator on the dash showed between 45 and 50 pounds in each tire....they should nave been at or near 35. I bled them myself like I often do, about the same amount of air out of each tire, but then something strange happened with the right-rear sensor....it didn't seem to be working properly, detecting much lower PSI in that tire. Otherwise, everything else seemed normal, and all four tires seemed OK despite the sensor, so I decided to drive it anyway. The car tracked properly, didn't pull to that side, and seemed to ride and handle well, so it may have just been a quirk or a defect in the sensor. Those sensors, BTW, are a common complaint in newer cars....they are there basically because the government now requires them. They're great when they work properly, but................

EXTERIOR:

When first walking up to the Encore from a distance, it will be easy, in front, with the classic waterfall-grille and tri-shield, to recognize the Encore as a Buick (and, of course, the company also does the larger Enclave SUV). But not so easily from the back....Buick hasn't done a vehicle this short and stubby since the old subcompact Skyhawk models of the mid-70s. The rear end has a nice high roofline for cargo-space, though, because of the tier-seating in back, it doesn't help rear headroom that much....more on that later. The front, of course, is short and stubby, too, but the classic Buick trim clearly gives it away. Nice body-surround black cladding on the bottom helps protect the paint from road-debris, but there are no body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection. The exterior paint-color choice seems pretty nice (a reasonable combination of both dull and eye-opening colors), but the paint-job itself, in a number of the available colors, doesn't seem quite up to the excellence we've seen on some other newer GM products. The alloy wheels. IMO, are handsome. The sheet-metal quality seems good, and the doors, though not as solid-feeling as on the Verano, close with a reasonable thunk. The twin-side mirrors snap/swivel and lock easily and smoothly...and, unlike the Verano, have nice small convex inserts for blind-spot vision. On the sides of the hood, the same place they are on all new Buicks except the Encore, are the classic chrome Buick portholes, though rumor is that the next-generation of Buicks will put them back on the sides of the front-fenders where they were for decades.

UNDERHOOD:

Generally well-done and well-arranged, though I wasn't impressed with the manual prop-rod for the hood. Still, the hood itself felt solid, and there was a nice insulation pad on the underside (needed, too, since this engine can get buzzy with RPMs). The smallish size of the engine itself (which sits deep in the engine-compartment with room to spare) the small size of the engine-cover on it, and the way the turbo-hardware is arranged all contribute to a fair amount of room around the engine to reach components. The battery is to the right, uncovered and relatively accessable. All of the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are visible and relatively easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

The interior, IMO one of the car's better features, has very nice, padded trim materials, a nicely-laid-out design, and some handy features, such as the double-opening gloveboxes in front of the passenger. It's also at just the right height off the ground for a lot of people to get in and out of without either stooping down or having to step up on a running-board. It shares a number of features inside with the Verano.....gauge package, center-stack buttons, nice soft fabric-covered sun-visors/headliner, and some others. Several different color/trim patterns are available, both in cloth and leather. The front leather bucket seats have nice-feeling upholstery and are generally comfortable, but not sports-car-supportive. There is plenty of headroom in front, even for guys my side under the sunroof housing. In back, the split-folding bench seat is durable-feeling and very well-padded (especially compared to the uncomfortable park-bench-like slab found in the new Ford Escape), but still somewhat firm to sit on. The theater-like position of the back seat, a couple of inches above the front so the riders in back can see out ahead, cuts into available headroom, despite the high, squared-off rear roofline....guys my size will be grazing the headliner. Legroom, despite the Encore's relatively short overall length, is generally OK in back. The stereo sound-quality seemed nice, and the center-stack controls for it worked OK, but, as I mentioned earlier, none of the center-screen touch-icons in the Intellink system worked.....perhaps I messed up the electronics myself when I unlocked the car manually (?)....hard to say.

There are several annoying features inside as well. I'll describe the awkward rocker-switch for the transmission's sport-shift mode more below. A mistake on the Verano was also carried forward to the Encore......manual seatback-rake control and no lumber-adjustmnent, with powerseat-motors for everything else. Buick designers meant well by providing a nice flip-down inner arm-rest for the driver, but they put it in EXACTLY the spot where it blocks the parking-brake lever and the inner seat-belt buckle when you go to fasten your belt. Then.....there's parking-brake lever itself. The Verano uses a nice small thumb-switch for its electronic parking-brake...so why did the Encore revert back to a yank-up lever? Oh well, at least the lever isn't as awkward to use as some of those tiny left-foot pedals inder the dash....my big left leg and size-15 clown-shoe really has a time with those.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

One demerit for the compact/temporary spare tire under the floor.....otherwise, not many actual complaints with the Encore's cargo-area. The vehicle's tall squarish styling, of course, and the high rear roofline help out with available cargo-volume, despite the relatively short, stubby rear end. A standard, though somewhat short, rear wiper-arm helps keep the rear window clean in bad weather. There is relatively nice, though somewhat thin, carpeting on the trunk floor, which does not continue up the plastic-lined walls. But those walls are usually hidden behind the standard fabric-carpeted flip-up cargo cover that is attached to the rear lift-hatch (my test-car also had the optional cargo-net and cargo-tray). The rear seats, of course, like in all SUVs, drop down for added cargo room.....and, in some cases, very long items such as ladders can fit in all the way over the right-front seat (see the image I posted above).

ON THE ROAD:

As expected, it was not a terribly exciting vehicle to drive, but, except for the somewhat undersized engine, not bad at all, and generally comfortable. On my particular model, one starts up the small 1.4L turbo-four with the flip-out metal key on the fob and an old-style side-column ignition switch (yes, the same key I managed to mess up the security system with in the door). The engine starts and idles with a fair amount of refinement (again, this is a Buick), but becomes distinctly buzzier as the RPMs build, especially under acceleration. Despite the torque-peak starting at a low 1850 RPM (and continuing till 4500 RPM), there just wasn't much response at low RPMs....but it seemed, to me at least, to be more of a matter of just low torque rather than classic turbo-lag. Both response and noise builds noticeably as RPMs increase, although the standard Buick Quiet-Tuning insulation, which does a nice job of filtering out both road and wind noise, also manages to filter out some of the excessive noise underhood. As mentioned before, engine's the power-level, with FWD, is OK in average driving on level surfaces with a light load, but I wouldn't push it on steep hills or with a heavy load, and I'm not sure it could handle AWD without some bogdown, either. New AWD Subaru Imprezas manage to get by with normally-aspirated engines roughly in this power-class, but they, of course, have the efficient CVT transmissions, and are significantly smaller and lighter than the Encore.

The 6-speed automatic generally shifts smoothly and silky (as Buick transmissions should), but the manual-shift function is a mess. There are no paddle-shifters on the wheel, and the black +/- rocker-switch on top of the shift-lever used for manual-shifting is, IMO, very awkward to use. That's one feature that the Buick engineers should dump immediately and replace next year with paddles or another, better system.

As mentioned, the road and wind noise level is low for a smallish vehicle this size, and the suspension/tires give a reasonably smooth ride, along with quick steering response and surprisingly little body-roll for such a high, narrow vehicle.....less body-roll than I expected. The Encore got the taller 55-series tires the Verano should have gotten and didn't (the Verano has firmer-riding 45s), so the Encore's tires roll a little smoother over bumps. Overall, though, the two suspensions themselves seem of about the same level of firmness. There is no adjustable electronic suspension-damping, but you usually don't find that feature in vehicles of this price class. The brakes are well-done, with quick response and little or mushiness in the pedal, though the pedal itself is not located in the best place for my big size-15 clown-shoe to clear it when lifting off the gas pedal.

THE VERDICT:

By now, most of you have probably got the impression (correctly) that, unlike with last year's Buick Verano (and with the Verano's admitted few shortcomings), I did not exactly fall in love with the new Encore this year. But, just because Marshall doesn't fall in love with it, of course, doesn't necessarily make it a bad vehicle. It handles, rides, and brakes well for a small SUV, with (seemingly) good chassis engineering for a small SUV. Its body style and AWD option, of course, is far more versatile than any Verano, and the Quiet-Tuning materials, for the most part, do their job. IMO, it got the softer-riding tires that the Verano should have gotten and didn't. I'm sure that it's substantially nicer to sit in and drive than the cheaper Vauxhall and Chevy versions that TOP GEAR magazine panned in Britain.

But, at the same time, I just don't think that Buick engineers really developed this vehicle correctly. The biggest shortcoming seems to be under the hood, but several features inside also seem to have been neglected. The paint job, compared to the excellence we've seen from some other newer GM products, also seems a step or two down. Perhaps Buick feels that, because of their big sales numbers in China and that country's love for the brand, they can develop and ship anything over there with the Tri-Shield on it, and it will sell. Maybe.

But I can't control what goes on in China or Britain....or write about it. I have to describe what I see and drive here in America. IMO, Buick HAS done a nice small SUV that rides/handles/brakes quite well, has very nice interior trim, and has generally good space-efficiency. Nor, being priced from the mid-high 20s into the low 30s, do I think it is a rip-off on the sticker-price either, especially for a Buick. But there ARE annoying shortcomings, both under the hood and in several of the interior controls/hardware.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM
Old 03-16-13, 11:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

great review. thank you.

in the pic with the ladder, is the front passenger seat folder forward, or reclined?
i have no problem with manual recline control (faster), but that sure is a small engine on that vehicle. seems like this might have been more targeted to places other than the u.s., with small roads, parking, taxes on bigger engines, etc.

i actually think this is a pretty neat vehicle. kind of a tall verano, which sounds like a starbucks drink.
Old 03-17-13, 11:10 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It's an interesting little ute for sure. Would make a nice little car in the city, but I don't think it'll be big in suburban areas
Old 03-17-13, 11:39 AM
LexFather

Not sure how the Verano is a home run?

Old 03-17-13, 06:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Not sure how the Verano is a home run?
I know you are not one of its fans, so I won't necessarily try and convince you. But, as I see it, Buick did a lot of things on this car right. First, it's the first Buick-badged vehicle in 40 years that I'd actually spend money for (I had two used Buicks in college and liked them both). Second, like its larger Regal brother, it is not a true American-designed Buick, but derived from an Opel platform (in this case the Astra), so, despite the GM Ecotec powertrain, the chassis, suspension, basic structure, and much of the interior benefits from German engineering. Third, the benefits of that engineering are, IMO, only improved upon by the Buick Quiet-Tuning, which does work, except for some minor engine noise here and there. Fourth, most of the hardware (except for the somewhat flimsy windshield wipers), is light-years ahead of the old GM plastic junk. Fifth, it offers the sound-isolation and basic refinement of traditional big Buicks (one of which I had in college, and loved), in a compact package that is a heck of a lot easler to manuver and park (I shudder at the thought of managing a traditional full-size American car every day in today's insane D.C.-area traffic). I'm not the kind of guy (and neither are you) who just goes out and buys a car on a moment's notice. I review and drive a LOT of new cars, and, for the money, it has got to impress me before I plunk down my own cash for it. This car did.....just like the 1Gen IS300 and 3Gen Outback did.

So....does it have faults? Definitely.....no car is perfect. First, IMO, Buick screwed up by using 18 wheels and sport-sedan 45-series tires (that's what the Regal is for) when the Verano's mission called for easier-riding 55s or 60s (you'll notice that the Encore got 55s). It's not really a harsh ride with the 45's, but firmer than necessary. However, the car is so tomb-quiet, especially on smooth asphalt roads, that some of that can be forgiven. Second, the rear legroom, like on many Lexus IS models, is a joke for guys our size.....but I rarely carry people in back. Third, the Intellink stereo/climate screen is more complex than necessary....but that is true of many vehicles today (and it's not as frustrating as Cadillac's new CUE system). Fourth, it could use a power seat-rake adsjustment and memory-functions for the seats/mirrors...all of which even the top-level version lacks. Fifth, the usual neglect of hood-struts, body-side mouldings, and a real spare tire (I put my own aftermarket side-mouldings on)....it's interesting to note that some of the latest new Chevys seem to be getting the factory-mouldings gain.

So.....are you convinced the Verano is a home run? Probably not. Am I convinced? For my money, yes.....but, because of its shortcomings, it wasn't a Grand Slam....it had to slide into home plate from third just ahead of the throw.

Originally Posted by blueprint
2014 IS unless Lexus pisses me off.
What gives here?...................are you going to be considering a new IS?

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 06:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Cruze and Verano cousins have sold quite well for GM. I'd call them a stand-up double, maybe stretching into a triple.
Old 03-17-13, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Cruze and Verano cousins have sold quite well for GM. I'd call them a stand-up double, maybe stretching into a triple.
Consider it a group of five, if you include the Vauxhall/Opel Astra versions in Europe and the huge-selling Buick Excelle version in China....currently that country's most popular new car.
Old 03-17-13, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's an interesting little ute for sure. Would make a nice little car in the city, but I don't think it'll be big in suburban areas
I agree that the Encore's tidy outside dimensions make it fairly easy to manuver and park in cities, but also keep in mind that some so-called "suburban" areas (and those around D.C., where I am, are a perfect example) are becoming more and more like cities all the time. The D.C. metro area now stretches for a good hundred miles or so across in every direction, and is becoming much like SoCal/L.A. The Encore, though, joins an already big cute-ute market in this area that, of course, includes many other competitors, though the Encore's unique exterior size is almost in a class by itself.
Old 03-17-13, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review. thank you.
Thanks for the compliment, Paul, but, as far as reviews go, I don't think it was one of my better ones, especially with the noted problems and screw-ups.

in the pic with the ladder, is the front passenger seat folder forward, or reclined?
That particilar image is a Google-shot, but, in the actual car, from what I saw, I think it can be done either way, but, in some cases, depending on the angles, the front and/or rear headrests have to be pulled out.

I have no problem with manual recline control (faster),
Sometimes I don't either, but, on both the Verano and Encore, the adjuster-lever is down low and tucked back in between the lower-door and seat-support...a somewhat tight and awkward location. Of course, in my Verano, I usually set the seat once and don't need to re-adjust it for some time.

In general, IMO, Mercedes does power-seats the best. Their adjuster-controls, all out in plain view (so there's no blind groping and feeling) mimic a miniature outline of the actual seats themselves......just press each one in the direction you want the seat to move, and the corresponding seat-part responds in kind. Some other auto companies, not surprisingly, are now copying that layout.

but that sure is a small engine on that vehicle. seems like this might have been more targeted to places other than the u.s., with small roads, parking, taxes on bigger engines, etc.
Yes, probably the case in Europe with the cheaper Vauxhall/Chevy versions, but TOP GEAR magazine was not impressed with them at all. And when Jeremy Clarkson doesn't like a vehicle, he doesn't pull punches.

I actually think this is a pretty neat vehicle. Kind of a tall Verano, which sounds like a starbucks drink.
The Buick Quiet Tuning, (generally) nice interior, and reasonably smooth ride make it relatively pleasant to drive, but load it up with people and cargo or drive on steep hills, and I suspect (but not confirmed) that the engine will be as strained as Lindsay Lohan or Charlie Sheen trying to give up substance-abuse. For the Starbucks drinks you mention, yes, it does have cup-holders.....and a color-option on the leather to hide coffee-stains.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 10:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Very well-written and informative review. At first it was sounding like a comparison to the Verano, but then things settled down to a fair and broad disection. I can see how it would be hard to find some peers for the Encore, so slack is gladly granted. If it's one thing this unit is going to struggle with, it's its position in the marketplace and finding a class to belong to.

I'd only disagree with calling the Verano a homerun. A homerun would be a car that outsells it's competitors and is in short supply. Since it's inception, I've only seen two here in L.A., and one was a rental. Not a good sign if car-savvy West Coast does not embrace a model.
Old 03-18-13, 06:18 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Verano has too much of the "old GM" in it for my liking. The manual seat recline screams "cheap" as does the crude body panel seam finish. Pop open the trunk and look along the quarter panels' seams to see what I'm talking about. All of the best GM models are, at best, still 90-percent efforts, unfortunately.

Last edited by Outrage; 03-18-13 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-18-13, 06:50 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I one of my close friends just purchase a Verano. As usual I dismiss the vehicle when he told me about it but after taking a ride in the vehicle and touch/seeing the interior i'm convince it's a very nice vehicle. I especially luv the interior layout with the blue lights.
Old 03-18-13, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very well-written and informative review.
Thanks...though I don't consider it one of my better reviews.

I'd only disagree with calling the Verano a homerun. A homerun would be a car that outsells it's competitors and is in short supply. Since it's inception, I've only seen two here in L.A., and one was a rental. Not a good sign if car-savvy West Coast does not embrace a model.
One of the big problems, though, is that the general public's view of Buick, especially with younger people, has been the often-inaccurate Geezer-stereotype pushed by the auto-press and enthusiast mags. Those who actually take the time to go look at new Buicks (and, in some cases, even the auto-press that used to pan them) are starting to like them. But, as in overcoming any inaccurate-but-effective stereotype, that will take time.

As I pointed out in the review, though, that does not mean that Buick can do no wrong. Like with Subaru, they have, IMO made several design and marketing goofs on their latest models.
Old 03-18-13, 09:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
I one of my close friends just purchase a Verano. As usual I dismiss the vehicle when he told me about it but after taking a ride in the vehicle and touch/seeing the interior i'm convince it's a very nice vehicle. I especially luv the interior layout with the blue lights.
Veranos often sell themselves when people actually look at them and drive them. Those ice-blue dash lights, BTW, are rapidly becoming a GM trademark on a number of its vehicles, not just Buicks. Surveys show they are very popular with customers.
Old 03-18-13, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Outrage
I think the Verano has too much of the "old GM" in it for my liking. The manual seat recline screams "cheap" as does the crude body panel seam finish. Pop open the trunk and look along the quarter panels' seams to see what I'm talking about. All of the best GM models are, at best, still 90-percent efforts, unfortunately.

I agree with the lack of some features on it being an issue with some people, but I don't see how you can call it "Old GM". It is primarily derived, especially chassis and interior-wise, from the well-respected Vauxhall/Opel Astra in Europe, and, like its larger Regal cousin, has a good dose of German engineering in the chassis. On top of it, it has some of the best Buick-supplied sound-insulation used in decades.

However, on the still-larger LaCrosse, despite its glitzy interior, I agree....there does seem to be quite a bit of the old GM cheap plastic and questionable hardware. The LaCrosse's workmanship does not impress me as much as that of the Verano or the new Encore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2013 Buick Encore