Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ten Traffic Laws That Need To Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 01:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

disagree with lane splitting.

i sometimes drive close to the line, and I don't want a bike slicing through all of a sudden and scratching my paint or causing an accident.

there's plenty of room to swerve and pass while staying within lanes.
Old 03-13-13, 02:09 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
my only.issue with this is lane splitting. how.is that even remotely ok?
Originally Posted by LexRuger
Agreed. Motorcycles are already very dangerous so allowing lane splitting only adds to the problem.
I agree with these sentiments exactly. Lane splitting is STUPID. You have enough douchebag riders on the road + people who can't drive and introducing lane splitting = a soupy mess on the roads.
Old 03-13-13, 02:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah i'm not sure about the lane splitting one either. It's not really because of the riders at all, but because of the countless people i've seen that will lane change without any signal whatsoever. Half the time people just seem to check if anyone is in the next lane and move over, without checking to see if anyone is coming up behind them quickly. I've been in traffic before and seen cars switch lanes in front of motorcycle riders without even noticing them coming up between the lanes. Pretty dangerous if the rider couldn't have stopped in time or was already next to a car when it switched lanes.
Old 03-13-13, 03:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
my only.issue with this is lane splitting. how.is that even remotely ok?
maybe it's like a test, if we make it legal and people are stupid enough to do it, then the consequences might improve the gene pool.
Old 03-13-13, 03:40 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most of them but the lane splitting and 85mph speed limit.

There are to many drivers out there that are barely looking out for the cars around them, let alone motorcycles.

As for raising the speed limit I see enough cars on the road in FL that shouldn't be on the road, let alone doing 80+ mph. I know there are states that have emission testing and you might be able to get away with raising the speed limit there but with the POSes and poorly modded rice rockets I don't think that would be safe.

I feel old now after that last statement.
Old 03-14-13, 12:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#1 #1 #1, raise the limits on interstates!
Old 03-14-13, 01:46 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with all of them, aside from the lane splitting.

As far as I know (I'm licenced with an M1, was taught in motorcycle class), lane splitting is neither legal, or illegal. It's ambiguous to decide whether a lane split would be a safe passing maneauver. A dangerous lane split (motorcyclist going too fast in heavy traffic, or splitting with minimal room) would be considered an unsafe maneauver and is a ticketable offense (albiet, no one writes a ticket for that). If we change the law to make it that lane-splitting is legal, motorcyclists would feel empowered to split lanes whenever they want, even under dangerous conditions, thinking that they are not in the wrong. Plus, if it's deemed completely legal, that just gives cars more things to worry about on the road. And we know there are so many drivers out there that can barely pay attention as is.

I understand as a counter argument, some [aggressive] drivers feel the need to stop motorcyclists from lane splitting, under rage or some other reason. By making it legal, they wouldn't feel the need to be a vilgilante and lash out against motorcyclists splitting lanes in heavy traffic or whatnot. I still think, by the laws of physics, motorcyclists should be the most cautious, as they will lose in any accident. Just like how a car shouldn't (many do) be allowed to dash in and out in front of 18wheelers and the likes, a motorcyclist shouldn't be allowed to weave around a bunch of cars.

TLDR: Keep lane splitting ambiguous. It's legal when safe. Illegal when unsafe.
Old 03-14-13, 02:18 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Yes on the bicycle's @ stop signs and just more enforcement of biker rules in general. I live and drive frequently in NYC and there are loads of bikers who believe red lights, stop signs, or any rules don't apply to them.
I think you missed the point he was trying to make with that one.
Old 03-15-13, 11:05 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

should have took his license 10 years ago...
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/...nica-sidewalk/
Old 03-16-13, 03:16 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I disagree with left lane for passing only, lane splitting, and rolling through stop signs late at night. My reasons is because traffic is so heavy that it is virtually impossible to keep the left lane for passing only. That will be total grid lock. I do agree with stricter enforcement of the minimum speed limit in the left lane though.

I've had too many motorcycles dart out from behind me and split the lane right when I was making a lane change myself and had to move back to avoid killing the guy.

I stop at the stop signs late and night so everyone else should too. Pisses me off when I arrive a tad before a car coming from the left at a 4 way stop sign but then he rolls though the stop sign and I have to wait for him to pass when I was ready to go. Wait your damn turn and stop holding me up just because you don't want to come to a complete stop.
Old 03-16-13, 06:05 AM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest pet peeve are the left lane hogs !! If im driving 90 mph on the left lane and i see a guy in my rear view mirror coming up on me quickly i simply pull to the right regardless how fast im going cause one is suppose to pull over !?!?

How many times have we driven for miles behind a left lane hog when he finally pulls to the right ....... only to jet 15 feet into the exit lane of the freeway UUUGHHHHH ?????
Old 03-16-13, 07:21 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Re: Lane Splitting
There have been times when a motorcyclist came so close to my LS430 that my Lexus Parking Assist started beeping.
Right turn on Red? OK in CA, but not in TX last I checked.

Last edited by Natey2; 03-16-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-16-13, 08:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

There may be a constitutional issue or two in your suggestions.
Old 03-18-13, 05:39 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

yeah dude. I was yanked from my car and beat down by a cop two weeks ago for a minor traffic stop. does that seem fair? Granted all is well in the universe once his partner calmed him down.
Old 03-18-13, 07:30 AM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

Perfect article except for the motorocycle one, seems kinda dangerous.

Quick Reply: Ten Traffic Laws That Need To Change