Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ClubLexus First Drive: 2013 LS460 F Sport AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default ClubLexus First Drive: 2013 LS460 F Sport AWD

ClubLexus First Drive – 2013 Lexus LS460 F Sport AWD
By Henry Kuo

Interesting move by Lexus with the 2013 Lexus LS. Since early 2000s, Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes have been releasing their flagships (LS, 7-series, and S-class) relatively close to each other creating very exciting match-ups. Mercedes W220 in 2000, Lexus UCF30 in 2001, and BMW E65 in 2002, followed by Mercedes W221 in 2007, Lexus UCF40 in 2007, and BMW F01 in 2009.

With the next generation Mercedes W222 on the horizon, one would expect Lexus to come out with fully redesigned LS, which is crucial to keep the LS competitive in the full-size luxury segment and continue to strengthen the Lexus brand.

But for whatever reason, Lexus decided to do another facelift on the UCF40 instead. One possibility is to space out product release. Lexus released the GS and IS in 2006, followed by the LS and ES in 2007. It made marketing quite difficult when there were so many new cars and only limited number of marketing channels, so spacing them out is a good idea. The current GS arrived early last year, followed by the new ES later in the year, and the new IS coming in a few months. If a completely redesigned LS comes later, it will allow Lexus to put more focus on each car.

Although the 2013 is a facelift, it’s nothing short of a major one, with both the exterior and interior heavily reworked. And to make it more competitive against the 7-series and S-class, Lexus introduced LS460 F Sport for the first time, enhancing the performance aspect of the car.

Last edited by rominl; 03-12-13 at 01:45 PM.
rominl
exclusive matchup

Upping the Par on Luxury

With approximately 3000 new parts on this 2013 LS, the car looks and feels quite differently. The new front-end now looks taller and more muscular with the Lexus new signature spindle grille design. The hood has more curves creating depths and better flows with the front end. The F Sport has a different mesh grille together with a larger more aggressive lower air dam design, giving the car more presence.

The side profile of the car stays pretty similar as before, but now featuring a half inch drop and sporty yet elegant 19” forged wheels, and the overall proportion looks proper. The rear also receives various adjustments, including a new taillight design which looks more modern and aggressive. Overall the exterior of the car flows very well with a younger and more dynamic feel.

The interior is really where Lexus set the tone. The whole dash and center console have been redesigned. The overall layout now looks similar to what the 7-series and S-class offer and that’s a good move. It allows a more desirable screen location and freedom to stretch the screen size to 12.3 inches. The radio and climate control as well as the shift plate have been updated as well to accommodate the Remote Touch controller. After playing with it (compared to the BMW iDrive and Mercedes Command), the Remote Touch is far more intuitive and easier to get used to. It’s like using a mouse and I never had to second guess if I were supposed to turn or jiggle a ****.

Luxury cars are all about the details and extras, and Lexus did a good job on the new LS. The new interior feels very rich and luxurious, all panels are more solid and better put together than previous years. You want details? Climate seat control ***** are now in aluminum. When you adjust cabin temperature, the numbers actually scroll up and down. The buttons on the shift plate for drive controls are flush to the surface for a clean look. The seat control buttons now have chrome trims around them. Even the analog clock in the center is composed of different layers of metal with different textures.

Now you want extras? Climate control seats work more efficiently than before in warming or cooling the seats. Not only that, you can put it in Auto mode and the sensors will adjust the heater / cooler accordingly. And when it is cold, the heated steering wheel will turn on by itself as well. Lexus has pretty much made sure that once you sit in the car, everything is done for you and you just need to focus on driving.

But there are also missing features that I wish should be included in this flagship. My biggest complaint is the lack of HUD (head-up display). With both competitors offering it and even the new GS has that option, this is a pretty big shortcoming. On the other hand, the GS offer more seat adjustments especially on the bolsters, something a bigger car like the LS460 F Sport can benefit from.

With the new LED lighting option, you get pretty much LEDs everywhere including headlights and foglights. In previous years, only the LS600hL was equipped with LED headlights and I was not impressed by the light output. Technologies must have advanced since then, the new LS with LED headlights light up the road with a brighter and broader spectrum.

Although with the same body, Lexus improved significantly on body rigidity with larger support members and braces, more reinforcement panels, and a Lexus-first new body adhesive and laser-screw welding. Together with new aerodynamic fins, the LS460 rides smoother and quieter, at the same time more solid and predictable than before. Lexus must have improved the insulation as well as there is less engine noise compared to previous model years.

Last edited by rominl; 03-12-13 at 01:50 PM.
rominl
exclusive matchup

Injection Sport into Luxury

When Lexus debut the current LS generation back in 2007 they introduced a Touring Package with larger brakes and wheels coupled with thicker sway bars. It boosted the performance and handling from the regular trim but was still not enough. This time around Lexus put in a lot more efforts before putting on the F Sport badge.

First off, the seats are different from regular ones with extended bolsters for more lateral support. And the all-leather steering wheel feels great with a thick and comfortable grip. The pedal shifters are behind the steering wheel, though they can benefit from bigger pedals.

The 6-piston Brembo brakes on the LS460 F Sport with massive 14.8-inch rotors provide almost insane braking power. The brake pedal is firm but linear, a light tap and it quickly slows down the car. Arguably the brakes are what I like most about the LS460 F Sport.

Similar to the 2013 GS, Lexus also implemented similar driving mode selections in the 2013 LS. In the previous LS (even Touring Package or the LS460 Sport) the power and suspension selections only provide very subtle changes, but that has changed with the new driving modes. When you turn the **** to Sport S, the throttle gets noticeably crispier and more responsive. It also stays in gears for longer / higher rev before up-shifting. If you turn the **** again to Sport S+, shock dampening is tightened up, the car leans less, and you feel the road more. The steering response feels different as well, the turn-in gets faster and I was pleasantly surprised how fast the car turns given its size.

However, getting into manual shifting and it’s a confusing struggle. Downshift rev-matching is done smoothly, but there is a lag between flipping the pedal and the actual shifting happening. The lag is even more pronounced when you up shift. To make it worse, since Lexus did such a great job in smooth shifting while isolating engine noise from the cabin, it’s very hard for you to know what gear you are in and whether your shift command has been executed. Often times I found myself looking down on the dash to find out what gear I was in or wondering where my shift command went.

But overall though, I think leaving the car in Sport S+ and automatic mode creates a very nice driving experience. Throttle is sensitive and quite responsive, gears hold for longer and Lexus has done a good job in gear selection. And together with the tightened suspension and powerful brakes, the LS460 F Sport is actually quite a fun car to drive in Sport S+ mode.

While the LS460 RWD pumps out 386hp and 367lb-ft, the AWD version scales back to 360hp and 347lb-ft. In either case it’s still plenty of power to propel the heavy body. However compared to the latest engine configurations from BMW and Mercedes, Lexus is definitely behind. With the help of forced induction on both the 7-series and S-class, both cars offer similar gas mileage as the LS460, but the 750i pumps out 445hp and 480lb-ft, while the S550 delivers 429hp and whopping 516lb-ft. Yes, one can say you don’t “need” that much power, but when was luxury just about “need”? Truth is, after driving the 750i and S550, those cars deliver more effortless rides in regular basis and become fierce punchy beasts when the throttles really open up.

In terms of driving dynamics, the BMW 7-series is still more engaging and feels more like a sports car. And the Mercedes S550, even though only available in LWB trim here in the US, feels punchier and less floaty than the LS460 F Sport. While the LS460 F Sport has very nice throttle response and turn-in, the car still leans more than the other two in Sport S+ mode, and I wish there are a tad more steering feedback. However the LS460 F Sport has clearly narrowed the gap, which is a huge step up from before when sportiness wasn’t a word one associated with the Lexus brand, let alone their flagship model.

Last edited by rominl; 03-12-13 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Next step?

So what does this $90,000 2013 LS460 F Sport get you? Yes it’s on a chassis that’s been around since 2007, but the all new interior design is so up to date it rivals against the latest 7-series and ahead of the out-going S-class. The exterior changes are bold and very refreshing with the new Lexus signature front-end. Yes it is not as powerful as both competitors and when it comes to spirited driving the other two still seem to have the edge, but a similarly equipped 750i M Sport touches the $100,000 mark while the S550 sets you back at over $110,000. That’s not something to overlook easily.

Not to mention, when it is time to slow down and you want to transform the car back into a first-class luxury flagship so you can isolate yourself from the outside world, the LS460 F Sport provides a quieter and more comfortable ride. Switch on the Mark Levinson audio system and it is still one of the best you can ask for in the industry.

The key here is what Lexus’ next move is. If the speculation in the beginning of this article is true, a fully redesigned LS in a few years can put Lexus in a great position. Given their latest success with the LFA project and the new GS and IS, we can expect more focus on driving dynamics. At the same time, with the latest 7-series already in the market and the new S-class coming soon, that gives Lexus plenty of time to create a gadget and feature list that will make this full-size luxury segment as competitive as ever.

Last edited by rominl; 03-12-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Old 03-12-13, 01:50 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Very nice review Henry!

Have you driven the non sport 2013 yet?
Old 03-12-13, 02:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thank you!

yes, i have driven the regular trims but not to the same extend as the F Sport. Few things that came to my mind
- the F Sport brakes are far more sensitive and powerful
- there is a notable difference between RWD and AWD power. The AWD is heavier and has less power, the RWD is faster
- the regular interior feels more classy, but I feel the F Sport is a better blend overall. I like the aluminum trip a lot, far more than that found in the GS
- to certain extend I prefer the F Sport front mesh grille design, but I like the foglight design on the regular trim more
Old 03-13-13, 05:18 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
thank you!

yes, i have driven the regular trims but not to the same extend as the F Sport. Few things that came to my mind
- the F Sport brakes are far more sensitive and powerful
- there is a notable difference between RWD and AWD power. The AWD is heavier and has less power, the RWD is faster
- the regular interior feels more classy, but I feel the F Sport is a better blend overall. I like the aluminum trip a lot, far more than that found in the GS
- to certain extend I prefer the F Sport front mesh grille design, but I like the foglight design on the regular trim more
Thx for your your thougts on the LS line up, from all that i have experienced so far with the 2013 I would agree.
Old 03-13-13, 09:44 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

Excellent write up Henry
I love the new LS.

Not sure if lexus listened to us on CL, but glad they have new bumpers for the F sport version vs. last model's tack on lip kit.

Fortunately, being in socal, there's no need for AWD.

I'll take that neb. gray with red interior please
Old 03-13-13, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Tee
Thx for your your thougts on the LS line up, from all that i have experienced so far with the 2013 I would agree.
you are welcome, i definitely hope to make threads like these more informative. one car i haven't touched is the 600hl, though aside from what i have noticed, i am not sure if the drive train feel would be too different from before.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Excellent write up Henry
I love the new LS.

Not sure if lexus listened to us on CL, but glad they have new bumpers for the F sport version vs. last model's tack on lip kit.

Fortunately, being in socal, there's no need for AWD.

I'll take that neb. gray with red interior please
i can say for sure people in lexus corp read the forums and they take note. whether it translates into reality is another story. i am most definitely glad that the f sport now has "true" bumpers, it really gives the car a very different look imho.

yes, i was a little bummed when i saw it's an awd, not too many occasions i could come close to testing the awd, on top of that i couldn't really test the lsd which is only on rwd version

great point on the leather too. ls460 f sport is only available in black leather i believe, which is a little disappointing. i would love to get the red interior as well, make it more interesting
Old 03-13-13, 10:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

nice write up Henry. I sat in one at the dealership this weekend when I stopped by the pats department for key fob batteries. I love the interior and I was surprised at how bolstered the seats were
Old 03-13-13, 10:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great review,Henry.
The LS looks good but with a new design coming out in 2 years,I'd wait.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-13-13 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-13-13, 11:05 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

always a great comprehensive review from you henry. especially with you being a previous LS owner your opinions and standpoints of this car actually bring more value than that of a consumer reports article.
Old 03-13-13, 11:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
nice write up Henry. I sat in one at the dealership this weekend when I stopped by the pats department for key fob batteries. I love the interior and I was surprised at how bolstered the seats were
yes, i remember when i had my ls460l, i found myself going left and right when tossing the car around. this time with the f sport, the lateral support is greatly improved, i was impressed.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Great review,Henry.
The LS looks good but with a new design coming out in 2 years,I'd wait.
agreed. again it's still just my speculation on how long lexus would hold on to this generation, but it's definitely an interesting move. i already know more than a few people who said they would wait for a true next generation to come, so it's something lexus should take note about.

Originally Posted by brianlin87
always a great comprehensive review from you henry. especially with you being a previous LS owner your opinions and standpoints of this car actually bring more value than that of a consumer reports article.
thanks brian, it's true that as a previous owner, i noticed more little things. when i had the ls460l, one thing i didn't like about the car was the "humming" engine noise inside the cabin. i heard that even on 2010 and 2012 that i worked on. but on this 2013, it sounded different. it's more mellow, but it's also a little deeper so it's more pleasant (at least to my ears).
Old 03-16-13, 02:16 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

When i think LS i think BIG, some how the dash looks extremely small. Judging from the pics, it looks tiny in there for it being the big bad boy LS.

Quick Reply: ClubLexus First Drive: 2013 LS460 F Sport AWD