Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 11:42 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

A great many buyers fled from full-size body-on-frame SUVs to car-based crossovers in large measure to save fuel. But that doesn't mean there's still not a buying audience for more traditional truck-based utility vehicles, and those consumers doubtlessly wouldn't mind saving some dollars at the pump, too. According to Motor Trend, those shoppers might be in luck.

That's because the magazine has confirmed that Ford isn't walking away from the full-size SUV segment, and it's poised to do something about its offerings' economy ratings, too. According to MT, global Lincoln director Matt VanDyke has hinted that the next Navigator may drop two cylinders and go with a V6 model – the current model gets just 14 miles per gallon in the city and 20 on the highway from its 5.4-liter V8. The obvious fitment would be Ford's 3.5-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V6, an engine that has spread like kudzu throughout the rest of the Blue Oval's large vehicle lineup.

Downsized turbocharged engines like Ford's EcoBoost franchise have come under fire as of late for not delivering their EPA fuel economy ratings, but their benefits extend beyond consumption – the 3.5L offers superior power and a better torque curve than the naturally aspirated V8. MT also suggests that Ford's 3.7-liter V6 could form the base engine for the next Navi – it has similar horsepower but a lot less torque than the current 5.4L. That may be less of a problem with the next generation tipped to go on a diet, which could level the playing field somewhat.

Interestingly, Ford will reportedly keep a V8 option in the Navigator's Blue-Oval-badged sibling, the Expedition. That may be a strategy partially borne out of cost, and partially out of concern that the Expedition's more traditional buying audience still maintains a strong affinity for simple and robust V8 engines. That said, MT says the Expedition could also get the 3.7L and the EcoBoost 3.5 V6s

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/12/n...ut-ford-exped/
Old 03-12-13, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

I've been saying for some time now the Expedition/Navigator would get the EcoBoost 6. Lack of a V8 in their top model Navigator surprises me but this is all still rumor mill. Excited to see what they come up with as the Expe/Navi are the most long in the tooth models. Weight loss will also help greatly!
Old 03-12-13, 12:35 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If they mean weight-loss by means of size, then the next platform will be similar in size to the Explorer imo. But if they can somehow keep the same dimensions and reduce the weight then maybe itll work but that'll still be a lot of work for the V6 no matter how "boosted" it is i think.
Old 03-12-13, 12:36 PM
LexFather

Even Infiniti figured out this market with the QX which sells well, Caddy dominates here with an OLD Escalade. Lincoln is a huge after-thought. They should excel in a big cushy vehicle like this.

People still want giant SUVs so Lincoln GET WITH IT!

Old 03-12-13, 02:16 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The current asking price on a base Navigator is 58,000 dollars. O.o
Old 03-12-13, 02:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

My wife and I have our eyes on the new Pathfinder. its so much bigger than the Murano and we will probably buy one in the future. My wife loved it but was concerned that the new Pathfinder only has a V6. Looks like its the new wave. In the end with the CVT and a torquey V6 you can still get her up to speed with relative ease
Old 03-12-13, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My wife and I have our eyes on the new Pathfinder. its so much bigger than the Murano and we will probably buy one in the future. My wife loved it but was concerned that the new Pathfinder only has a V6. Looks like its the new wave. In the end with the CVT and a torquey V6 you can still get her up to speed with relative ease
Last Pathfinder began with a 4.0L V6, but they shoehorned the 5.6L V8 from the Titan into it a few model years in, so it was never intended to have a V8 really. Your wife shouldn't be concerned it only has a V6, the new Pathfinder is on a CUV not BOF chassis and only weighs 4290lbs which is right there in the middle of the CUV pack. I will say I am surprised it is the 260hp version and not the 290hp version like in the Maxima though. - Separate note, my manager just got his wifey a new Pathfinder fully loaded for $35K OTD and it has more feature content than the RX's we sell

But alas this thread is about the Expedition and Navigator which dwarf the Pathfinder by all means. Their main competition is the Sequoia, Armada, Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/XL/Escalade and sometimes the Durango which has always been a tweener of midsize/fullsize CUV/SUVs
Old 03-12-13, 02:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I see your point but the new Pathfinder is still pretty damn big. We may do the QX56 since we have family member discounts and can get any Nissan /Infiniti for $1500 below invoice with haggling and the lease deals at Infiniti are insane. I like the Pathfinder but I dont want my wife to deal with the crappy customer service in the service area. She is a doctor and drives around with two very young children. Her time is way to valuable to sit at a dealership waiting for an oil change. She always says its fine but I know she misses the loaner cars and expedited service you get at luxury car dealership. We will have to see what the numbers look like when we get a new one.

BTW your IS looks amazing!
Old 03-31-13, 10:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I see your point but the new Pathfinder is still pretty damn big. We may do the QX56 since we have family member discounts and can get any Nissan /Infiniti for $1500 below invoice with haggling and the lease deals at Infiniti are insane. I like the Pathfinder but I dont want my wife to deal with the crappy customer service in the service area. She is a doctor and drives around with two very young children. Her time is way to valuable to sit at a dealership waiting for an oil change. She always says its fine but I know she misses the loaner cars and expedited service you get at luxury car dealership. We will have to see what the numbers look like when we get a new one.

BTW your IS looks amazing!
I hear you on the customer service, sometimes the price of these vehicles is worth the price of admission. You had a G35 before the LS and GS right? how was their service?

Thanks fellow CV1 brother
Old 04-01-13, 09:25 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like the current navigator.
It really needs a refresh.
Old 04-01-13, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Caddy dominates here with an OLD Escalade. Lincoln is a huge after-thought. They should excel in a big cushy vehicle like this.
That's true to some extent now, but one must remember that it was the Navigator that really first defined the American full-size/truck-based luxury SUV market. Cadillac was caught with their pants down, and their first reaction to it (the 1Gen Escalade) left a lot to be desired. Later Escalades, of course (and the big GMC Yukon Denalis), were improvements, but then, so were later Navigators.

One of the problems with both the Navigator and Escalade is the widely-believed stereotype that they are primarily NBA/NFL and Rapper/Entertainer bling-machines. They certainly do have their share of bling, but, despite (admittedly) a lot of sales to pro athletes, they are also fairly popular with well-heeled people and soccer-moms in the suburbs that just want a big, heavy vehicle with lots of sheet-metal around them for crash-protection and want to do their shopping in style.
Old 04-01-13, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's true to some extent now, but one must remember that it was the Navigator that really first defined the American full-size/truck-based luxury SUV market. Cadillac was caught with their pants down, and their first reaction to it (the 1Gen Escalade) left a lot to be desired. Later Escalades, of course (and the big GMC Yukon Denalis), were improvements, but then, so were later Navigators.

One of the problems with both the Navigator and Escalade is the widely-believed stereotype that they are primarily NBA/NFL and Rapper/Entertainer bling-machines. They certainly do have their share of bling, but, despite (admittedly) a lot of sales to pro athletes, they are also fairly popular with well-heeled people and soccer-moms in the suburbs that just want a big, heavy vehicle with lots of sheet-metal around them for crash-protection and want to do their shopping in style.
I am very well aware of this history of the vehicles. For example Caddy said no when GMC had the Denali and they said they were NEVER do a SUV. Now they have 2

What I am saying is Lincoln should be excelling here too, there is a sizeable market for big SUVs with engines and people who don't give a **** about MPG, they want a big cushy, luxurious vehicle..

Old 04-01-13, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I am very well aware of this history of the vehicles.
I'm sure you are. I simply mentioned that for those who aren't.

For example Caddy said no when GMC had the Denali and they said they were NEVER do a SUV. Now they have 2
Except for a little more interior/exterior chrome and standard equipment on the Escalade, there actually isn't a huge difference between it and the Yukon Denali. The Denali, in a number of ways, is remarkable.

What I am saying is Lincoln should be excelling here too, there is a sizeable market for big SUVs with engines and people who don't give a **** about MPG, they want a big cushy, luxurious vehicle..
......and (except for maybe some of the rappers and athletes), many of these customers turned to big, cushy SUVs because, decades ago, the big cushy traditional full-frame V8 station wagons (Buick Estate Wagon, Ford Country Squire/Mercury Colony Park, Oldsmobile Vista-Cruiser, etc.....) all vanished.
Old 04-01-13, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

This "lack of V8" irks me. But I'm sure the new one will be an awesome revamp. If they're smart, the V8 will be optional. If I had to guess, the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost will be base, 6.2L V8 will be optional
Old 01-22-14, 12:12 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Lincoln Navigator Teased, Debuts on Thursday, Gets 3.5L V6 EcoBoost [Updated]

In response to GM's pending launch of not one, but three new (related) full-size SUVs, including the 2015 Cadillac Escalade, GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, Ford has prepared a redesign for its luxury-orientated Lincoln Navigator, which according to a purportedly official document that surfaced online, will occur tomorrow, January 23.

Along with the text that outlines the changes for the 2015 Navigator, Lincoln itself posted a dark teaser of the large SUV on its Instagram page.

From what we understand, it will be a facelift and not an all-new model, sporting redesigned front and rear ends, and an updated interior that will benefit from FoMoCo's latest tech goods.

More importantly, the document confirms previous rumors that Lincoln will introduce its 3.5-liter V6 turbocharged EcoBoost gasoline engine to the lineup, though, it's not clear yet if it will replace or complement the existing 5.4-liter V8 engine.

You can read the release that was shared on FordInsideNews in full below.

Update: Reader Allan C. who tipped us the first time on the 2015 Navigator, sent us a second teaser photo released on Lincoln's social media pages
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/01/201...debuts-on.html

Quick Reply: Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both