Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 02:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When a vehicle has a nice classic look, an automaker is wise to stick with it (or make only minimal changes)...time, in that case, won't make any difference.
not sure what you mean by 'minimal changes'. we can probably agree that cars like the porsche 911 and corvette are considered 'classic designs', and even though we can see a connection from generation to generation, when the details are looked at, there's often RADICAL changes (especially in quantity). designs must change, or they get stale in consumers' eyes. and the competition for new technologies, lighting, safety, and other features is so fierce that vehicles must evolve to incorporate them.

a radical overall body redesign however, typically makes sense when a brand is in 'makeover' mode. the lexus l-finesse style and spindle grill is an example, where they have made their cars more aggressive (i guess) and sporty looking. whether the result is appealing depends on the viewer.

designs will continue to evolve - no stopping it, never has been. a similar situation i see is in home interior design... each decade we see a new styling trend that pretty much wipes out what was before it. i'm seeing now the stainless steel kitchen appliances are now old school
Old 01-25-14, 01:15 PM
LexFather

Lincoln offering a V-8 was at least an ace they had over Buick or Acura but now without it it drops they down. Bad decision. Now the brand has no bigger engine than a 6 cylinder.

Imagine the Escalade with no V-8 option!

Old 01-25-14, 02:48 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
It was considered a new generation because of how extensively they modified the previous T1 platform. The rear suspension was redesigned, new interior/body panels, it was stiffer, had a new transmission, L version was introduced, etc.

The hardpoints and engine were the same though. So not a complete redesign, but forums and such draw a distinction and call them different generations. Point is, they weren't completely stagnant.
Ford has a nasty habit of calling things new generations when they're not. Fact is that this new 2015 Navigator is based heavily on the 2003 and is not a new vehicle.
Old 01-26-14, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Lincoln offering a V-8 was at least an ace they had over Buick or Acura but now without it it drops they down.

Imagine the Escalade with no V-8 option!
True, Buick has no V8 right now, but the the rumor right now (though the Buick people were somewhat mum about it the D.C. show) is that they are working on a new Grand National/GNX version of the new Chevy SS, with the same Corvette-based powerplant and the classic black paint job. It will be essentially the same (but updated) platform as the old Pontiac/Holden G8 GT you liked so much.

Bad decision. Now the brand has no bigger engine than a 6 cylinder.
At the show, the Lincoln people admitted something they were hesitant to do before....that dropping the Town Car was a mistake....it was popular, and had a group of committed buyers, especially with limo-firms. Even with the gorgeous darkish-purple Amythist paint job on the MKC up on the turntable (Lincoln calls it Tahiti Pearl), the entire Lincoln display was deader than a cemetery. Virtually no one was looking at anything there...least of all, the Town Car's joke of a replacement, the MKS.
Old 01-26-14, 06:58 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

My wife has an mkt ecoboost and let me tell you this thing flys. 14.3 1/4. It has a twin turbo v6. screw v8 lol
Old 01-26-14, 07:03 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Chipped and modded 500hp EcoBoost Navigator on 22's. Imagine the street terror. LOL
LOL hahaha death on wheels. I have seen a flex ecoboost hit low 13.2 with just a chip. I will definitely mod mines when it gets out of warranty. My MKT is a SLEEEEEEPER!!!
Old 01-27-14, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I have seen a flex ecoboost hit low 13.2 with just a chip. I will definitely mod mines when it gets out of warranty. My MKT is a SLEEEEEEPER!!!
Maybe with a chip.....I won't argue that. But, when I did a full-length review on the MKT, I test-drove both the base engine and the EcoBoost. The EcoBoost, naturally, was somewhat quicker, but not as much as I expected. 365 HP and 350 ft-lbs. of torque may sound impressive on paper, but it has to drag a fair amount of weight with this good-sized SUV....well over 4000 lbs.

Anyhow, congratulations on your purchase. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 02-06-14, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2014 Chicago Auto Show

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2191653/
Old 05-21-14, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2015 Lincoln Navigator ready to roll for $62,475*

Pricing Announced for New 2015 Lincoln Navigator and Premium Reserve Package

> 2015 Lincoln Navigator full-size luxury SUV goes on sale later this year with a starting manufacturer's suggested retail price of $62,475, including destination and delivery charges

> Redesigned exterior, updated interior, more powerful engine, additional customer-focused technologies and new luxurious appointments elevate next Lincoln Navigator

> Available Reserve Package includes 22-inch wheels, ultra-luxurious leather interior and premium Ziricote wood trim; manufacturer's suggested retail price for 4x2 models equipped with the Reserve Package is $69,975

DEARBORN, Mich., May 20, 2014 – The 2015 Lincoln Navigator full-size sport utility vehicle, with a refreshed exterior design, refined interior appointments and more power and better handling than ever, will go on sale later this year with a starting suggested manufacturer's retail price of $62,475, including destination and delivery charges.

"The 2015 Lincoln Navigator has nearly two dozen upgrades over the outgoing model, rewarding current Navigator owners and offering strong reasons for new customers to consider the vehicle that defined the large luxury SUV segment," said Matt VanDyke, director, Global Lincoln.

Leading the now-standard features for the 2015 Navigator is a new powertrain with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost® V6 engine. The twin-turbocharged, direct-injection engine will deliver 380 horsepower and 460 lb.-ft. of torque.

This outstanding power also delivers projected best-in-class towing of 9,000 pounds with properly equipped Navigators.

The new EcoBoost engine is mated to a six-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission – also new for the 2015 model year.

Also added for the 2015 Lincoln Navigator is Lincoln Drive Control with a continuously controlled damping suspension to help provide a smoother ride, and electric power-assisted steering that helps deliver responsive handling. Continuously controlled damping is standard on all 4x4 models and all Navigators equipped with the available 22-inch wheels.

Lincoln Navigator 4x4 models add hill start assist and Hill Descent Control™ as standard equipment.

Exterior design changes are accentuated by iconic split-wing grille, while puddle lamps that create a "welcome mat" below front doors offer a new level of elegance.

Among standard interior enhancements are luxurious leather and additional new customer-focused technologies, including push-button start, SYNC® with MyLincoln Touch™ connectivity system, BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert, and an LED-backlit instrument cluster with tachometer, trip odometer, compass, outside thermometer and message center.

The new Reserve Package provides features for customers seeking the ultimate in Navigator luxury. The package includes Lincoln Drive Control with continuously controlled damping, 22-inch polished aluminum wheels, premium Ziricote wood trim and ultra-luxurious leather-trimmed seats in all three rows. Also included is a hand-wrapped leather and stitched instrument panel, armrests and console.

The suggested manufacturer's retail price MSRP for 4x2 models equipped with the Reserve Package is $69,975; 4x4 Reserve Package models start at $72,900.

Lincoln Navigator L, offering customers a longer wheelbase and greater overall length, will continue to be available in both 4x2 and 4x4 versions. Navigator L has a 131-inch wheelbase (versus 119 inches for the standard wheelbase) and a total length of 222.3 inches (versus 208.4 inches).

Standard on Lincoln Navigator L is a non-limited-slip 4.10 axle. This axle is available on standard-wheelbase versions as well.

Suggested manufacturer's retail price for the 2015 Lincoln Navigator L starts at $64,640 for the 4x2 version and $68,215 for the 4x4 version. Prices include destination and delivery charges.

The 2015 Lincoln Navigator is built at Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville, Kentucky, and is scheduled to be in showrooms early this fall.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/05/21/2...cing-official/
Old 05-21-14, 03:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks like it will be appropriately cheaper than the escalade.
Old 05-21-14, 04:09 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Refreshed 2015 Lincoln Navigator Starts at $62,475

Lincoln had a feeling that the time is ripe to release pricing for its facelifted Navigator so it announced today that the bog SUV will start from $62,475 for the 4x2 model, including destination and delivery charges, when it goes on sale in the States early this fall.

You can read all about it in our posting here (we also did a poll with the Escalade here) but to sum up the changes for the 201MY, it gets a brand new face along with some tidying up of the rear end on the outside, a new instrument panel, center console, steering wheel and fresh tech inside, while the 310hp 5.4L V8 was replaced with a 375hp 3.5L turbo V6 connected to a six-speed auto.

The base edition has a push-button start, SYNC with MyLincoln Touch connectivity system, BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert, and an LED-backlit instrument cluster with tachometer, trip odometer, compass, outside thermometer and message center as standard among other features.

Moving up the trim range, the Reserve Package gets hand-wrapped leather and stitched instrument panel, armrests and console, in addition to leather seats, the Lincoln Drive Control with continuously controlled damping, 22-inch polished alloys and Ziricote wood trim. The MSRP for the rear-wheel drive version of the Reserve Package is $69,975, and for the 4x4, $72,900.

For those who aren't satisfied with the space offered by the regular Navigator, Lincoln offers a longer version with a 131-inch wheelbase (versus 119 inches for the standard wheelbase) and a total length of 222.3 inches (versus 208.4 inches), with pricing starting from $64,640 for the 4x2 (RWD) and $68,215 for the 4x4, including destination and handling.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/ref...or-starts.html
Old 05-21-14, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I never thought I would see the day of a full size SUV with just a 6 cylinder engine as standard equipment.
Old 05-22-14, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I never thought I would see the day of a full size SUV with just a 6 cylinder engine as standard equipment.

Thanks to the upcoming American CAFE rules, we're seeing a LOT of things that previously wouldn't have made sense...like, among others, a 2.0 turbo four in the upmarket mid-sized Lincoln MKZ sedan, and turbo sixes in Corvettes.
Old 05-22-14, 11:48 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks to the upcoming American CAFE rules, we're seeing a LOT of things that previously wouldn't have made sense...like, among others, a 2.0 turbo four in the upmarket mid-sized Lincoln MKZ sedan, and turbo sixes in Corvettes.
I don't think GM would allow such hearsay as a six cylinder Corvette.

I've had quite a bit of seat time in 2012, 2013, 2014 versions of both the Escalade and Navigator. The Navigator is a better limo, more room in the 3rd row, and it rides amazing. Chalk this up to the independent rear suspension giving you more room in the back.

The Escalade is miles ahead in every other respect. More power, handles a lot better, looks like a million bucks, the Navigator was/still is ugly as hell IMO.
Old 05-22-14, 12:02 PM
Hoovey689

^^ I'm all for V8, but keep in mind guys the original C1 (1953) had an Inline 6. A V8 option did not appear until 1955

Quick Reply: Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both