Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well let's be clear- the only reason that interior didn't change completely is because they had to keep the hard points the same.
It also had to look like a classic Lincoln. The company tried big changes with most of the rest of their line-up, and where has it gotten them? Almost nowhere. Most of their newest products are panned by auto-press and customers alike. The only reason Ford is still holding on to the marque itself is that, with the disappearance of Mercury, Volvo, Jaguar, and Land Rover from the Ford stable, there is nowhere else for the corporation to turn for its upmarket/premium-level lineup. Without Lincoln, they would have nothing to compete with GM's Buick and Cadillac.

If Lincoln had their way it would adopt an interior that looks more similar to their newest products.
No, I disagree. They have apparantly (now) learned from their errors with the MKT, MKX, MKZ, and (especially) the MKS...a joke of a flagship.
Old 01-23-14, 01:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It also had to look like a classic Lincoln. The company tried big changes with most of the rest of their line-up, and where has it gotten them? Almost nowhere. Most of their newest products are panned by auto-press and customers alike. The only reason Ford is still holding on to the marque itself is that, with the disappearance of Mercury, Volvo, Jaguar, and Land Rover from the Ford stable, there is nowhere else for the corporation to turn for its upmarket/premium-level lineup. Without Lincoln, they would have nothing to compete with GM's Buick and Cadillac.
I completely agree with second part of your comment. The first part has nothing to do with this- the"big" changes they made have all been half-assed. None of their models were compelling and had enough differentiation from their Ford counterparts. The design theme itself in this Navigator's interior, which dates back to 2003, is not the future.

No, I disagree. They have apparantly (now) learned from their errors with the MKT, MKX, MKZ, and (especially) the MKS...a joke of a flagship.
How can that be true when the MKC has not even hit the streets yet and has the new-style interior?
Old 01-23-14, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I completely agree with second part of your comment.
Even so, younger persons, though, don't seem to be responding to Lincoln's newer products like they are to Cadillac's CTS and ATS. If Lincoln sales don't improve, they are going to be in serious trouble. And the previous Town Car customers (that car was also very popular in the limo/livery-buisness) generally don't have anywhere selse to go, either, though, as I mentioned above, some of them may (?) take a second look at the new Navigator. The standard running boards on SUVs in this class might appeal to older, less-lithe persons and the problems they would normally have getting in and out of something that high off the ground.

The first part has nothing to do with this- the"big" changes they made have all been half-assed.
OK, fine, we'll just disagree on that part. No problem. Styling is often subjective, and its tastes can vary from person to person. But, in Lincoln's case, I also based my opinion on the fact that the company's best sales have generally come from their most traditional-looking products.

None of their models were compelling and had enough differentiation from their Ford counterparts.
The former LS, I thought, was a great idea, and was much different from anything across the street at Ford dealerships. But Lincoln neglected the car, didn't market it well, and, despite repeated urgings, never gave the V8 Sport version a 5MT like it did with the V6 Sport, which hurt it with the potential BMW 5-series customers that the car was aimed at.

The Lincoln Mark-series luxury-coupes, despite the fact that some of them were done on a RWD T-Bird chassis, were also quite different from most Fords. Lincoln, though, just wouldn't keep them in production after the 1990s.

How can that be true when the MKC has not even hit the streets yet and has the new-style interior?
I was basing my comments on the images shown in this thread. Like I said several posts ago, I haven't actually seen it close-up yet. I hope to do so tomorrow at the D.C. Auto Show, if Lincoln has one on display.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-23-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Even so, younger persons, though, don't seem to be responding to Lincoln's newer products like they are to Cadillac's CTS and ATS
Can you blame them though. There's nothing smaller than the midsize MKZ sedan which gets expensive when ticking off the options box. No dedicated performance line. No current smaller sedan. The RWD coupe is still a rumor, and the next MKS which should be a better vehicle than the one it'll replace is too expensive for the younger audience. So currently you are left with the Cute-ute MKC. Hopefully it'll generate some revenue and volume for Lincoln that they can expand the line-up.
Old 01-23-14, 02:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, that's just it. You might refer to it as "dated", but others (me included) feel that's what makes it look like a Lincoln....the classic, squared-off styling both inside and out. There is often too much change in the auto industry (especially in styling) just for change's sake and little else. When a vehicle has a nice classic look, an automaker is wise to stick with it (or make only minimal changes)...time, in that case, won't make any difference.
Unfortunately, that type of mentality is what bankrupts car companies. Those who stand pat and do not update products or mesh with current trends are the ones that fall away. GM, in particular, suffered from this during the 80's and 90's (along with other problems) and it hurt them bad. Today, no car company is making it a goal to appeal to older (classic) people who aren't going to be around or buy/lease a new car or truck every two to three years. It's not where the money is and it does not build future generation sales. Today's car companies are trying to lower their average age buyer, to ensure their kids and relatives get sucked in over the coming years.
Old 01-23-14, 02:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Yesterday's tease pics looked terrible. Today's pics much better. I'll happily upgrade my comments to it looks decent.

In the future, Lincoln should better control which pics get out first. First impressions are everything.
Old 01-23-14, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yesterday's tease pics looked terrible. Today's pics much better. I'll happily upgrade my comments to it looks decent.

In the future, Lincoln should better control which pics get out first. First impressions are everything.
never understood debuting cars in ugly colors either. I'd have teased it in black or some navy blue personally
Old 01-23-14, 05:53 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foot in my mouth, looks much better then I expected.
Old 01-24-14, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Unfortunately, that type of mentality is what bankrupts car companies. Those who stand pat and do not update products or mesh with current trends are the ones that fall away.

GM, in particular, suffered from this during the 80's and 90's (along with other problems) and it hurt them bad.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. There is nothing wrong with change when change is actually needed. I'm sure that virtually none of us (me included) want to go back to the days of carburators, non-clearcoat paint, drum brakes, breaker-point ignition, rattles and squeaks, recirculating-ball steering, etc.....

But, today, there seems to be too much change simply for the sake of change's sake, and nothing else. The success of classic retro designs like the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, the three classic ponycars (Mustang/Camaro/Challenger), Porsche 911, VW New Beetle, and others proves that. GM and Chrysler may have indeed gone bankrupt, but it sure wasn't because of those designs. They went bankrupt because they built low-quality cars with poor fit/finish and lousy materials.

Today, no car company is making it a goal to appeal to older (classic) people who aren't going to be around or buy/lease a new car or truck every two to three years. It's not where the money is and it does not build future generation sales.
With all due respect, you could not be more wrong. In general, the greatest number of dollars (and the largest disposable income) to spend on new cars is found in the 55-65 age group...those who have been working all their lives and are now just before retirement. And you can bet that most of them are going to live a lot longer than just another 2 or three years. Today's average life-span, in many parts of the U.S., has reached into the 80s.
Old 01-24-14, 08:05 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

HIDEOUS design inside and out plus no V8.

Escalade will outsell this 10 to 1.
Old 01-24-14, 08:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Eventually, though, the Escalade will also probably be forced to downsize its engines, too. Big Brother CAFE rules are going to effect everyone in the American market.
Old 01-24-14, 08:25 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chipped and modded 500hp EcoBoost Navigator on 22's. Imagine the street terror. LOL
Old 01-24-14, 08:27 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Agreed, nothing that I've seen thus far would make me think any differently.
Old 01-24-14, 11:52 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Chipped and modded 500hp EcoBoost Navigator on 22's. Imagine the street terror. LOL
Good point
Old 01-24-14, 01:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

is it me or does the interior still look last gen. Nothing fresh or exciting in my eyes

Quick Reply: Next Lincoln Navigator to drop V8 in favor of V6, but Ford Expedition might get both