Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 06:36 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Ford Mustang Gets Innovative New Airbag

Click here to view video

The 2015 Ford Mustang won’t be all about next-gen performance, the American automaker has added some innovative safety features as well.

Ford has released details on an all-new inflatable airbag restraint design that provides the front passenger with knee airbag protection while significantly reducing system size and weight. The result is a roomier interior and improved safety.

“We provide a high level of safety, quality and design for our customers and their passengers,” said Sean West, Ford restraints manager. “With this innovative airbag design, we have developed technology that provides protection for vehicle occupants while also reducing weight and enabling greater design flexibility.”

The first passenger knee airbag system developed by Ford is packaged inside the glove box door with 15 patents granted and more pending. In the grand scheme of things, the technology allows Ford more freedom as vehicle designers, allowing airbags to be placed in new locations inside the vehicle. Instead of a traditional fabric airbag, the new system features a pliable, injection-molded plastic bladder that is sandwiched between the inner and outer glove box door panels. During an accident, the inflator fills the bladder, extending the entire glove box outer door panel toward the front passenger’s legs. As a result, the outer door helps provide cushioning similar to a traditional knee airbag.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ew-airbag.html
Old 06-20-14, 09:59 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow there are all sorts of new features and innovations on the '15 Mustang
Old 06-20-14, 10:02 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I might have to go Mustang after the FR-S...
Old 06-20-14, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by whoster
I think I might have to go Mustang after the FR-S...
2 transmissions, 3 powertrains, IRS, Line-Lock, new safety equipment
Old 06-20-14, 10:20 AM
nexus96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was surprised when my 8 year old son said he wanted a mustang when he grows up Totally random, caught my wife and I off guard.
Old 06-20-14, 10:31 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by nexus96
I was surprised when my 8 year old son said he wanted a mustang when he grows up Totally random, caught my wife and I off guard.
What sort of vehicles do you own currently? Car people? Does your family get a lot of exposure to certain cars / buy certain makes?

I ask because I don't find it too random. When I was a bit older than your son I wanted a RX300 as my dream car. Imagine what happened when I learned more about sports cars and supercars lol
Old 06-20-14, 11:39 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

these are some very enticing price points.

I won't be surprised if mustang raises it's prices later.

this will put a lot of pressure on nissan's 370z and even the infiniti G / Q coupe / hyundai genesis coupe.

Last edited by Tantrix; 06-20-14 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-20-14, 06:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by nexus96
8-year-olds have been saying they want a Mustang for the last 50 years. It's part of growing up.

Old 06-21-14, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Old 06-21-14, 02:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

impressive from Ford. nice looking interior as well
Old 06-28-14, 03:21 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford sync 911 assist enhancements to debut on 2015 ford mustang

911 Assist™ is a subscription-free emergency feature included in more than 7 million Ford vehicles equipped with SYNC® technology; with the customer's consent, it helps connect vehicle occupants directly to a local 911 operator following an airbag deployment or if the fuel supply shuts off
Enhancements to 911 Assist, debuting on the 2015 Ford Mustang, will provide dispatchers with additional information beyond available GPS coordinates, including a crash description and safety belt usage
When introduced in 2008, 911 Assist was the industry's first automotive technology to call 911 directly following a crash instead of relaying calls through a third party, saving valuable time

New Ford SYNC® 911 Assist™ features debuting on the 2015 Ford Mustang will offer emergency dispatchers more potentially vital information to better inform first responders en route to an accident.

"911 Assist uses a mobile phone connected to SYNC to call 911 directly when needed," said David Hatton, global product leader and electrical engineer, Ford Connected Services. "With enhanced data, the system will provide even more detail about a crash to aid in the dispatch of the appropriate resources."

For example, if a dispatcher knows that both front safety belts were fastened at the time of a high-speed collision, he or she may decide to send an additional ambulance directly to the scene. Safety belt monitoring varies based on the airbag systems in the vehicle.

911 Assist requires customer consent to enable the feature when initially pairing a cellphone to SYNC, and the customer has the option to cancel the call before it is placed. In the event of an airbag deployment or fuel shutoff, a direct 911 call is placed using an occupant's SYNC-connected phone. The operator then receives a brief, prerecorded message that a Ford vehicle has been in a crash and has the option to retrieve vehicle GPS information.

The enhancements will provide the ability to deliver information such as the maximum change in velocity during impact, indication of crash type (front, side, rear or rollover), safety belt usage as detected by the vehicle, awareness of whether multiple impacts occurred and whether airbags were deployed.

"SYNC will only broadcast relevant information to save time, and it constructs a very efficient message for the operator," said Hatton. "After the introductory message, the voice line opens automatically and occupants can speak directly with the operator via SYNC's hands-free functionality."

Ford worked with the National Emergency Number Association to gather input from members, including Eaton County Central Dispatch in Michigan, and to educate emergency responders about the technology.

"We are pleased to continue working with Ford to prolong our vision of any device, anywhere, anytime to provide help needed in the event of an emergency," said Ty Wooten, education and operations director, National Emergency Number Association. "This new data provided by 911 Assist will be useful in deciding the proper level of the initial response, and will give call takers an indication as to the severity of the incident."

Staying engaged with the needs and desires of customers, as well as the emergency services community, Ford continues to work with nonprofit agencies such as the National Emergency Number Association as the company develops enhancements to 911 Assist.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/28/2...st-sync-video/
Old 06-30-14, 09:33 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Enhancements to 911 Assist, a subscription-free emergency feature included in more than 7 million Ford vehicles equipped with SYNC technology that helps connect vehicle occupants directly to a local 9-1-1 emergency operator following an airbag deployment or if the fuel supply shuts off, will debut on the 2015 Ford Mustang. The enhancements provide additional information such as crash description and safety belt usage.
Old 07-02-14, 08:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Saleen’s Upcoming 2015 Mustang 302 Teased with Full-Frontal Image

Saleen has released the first image previewing its soon to be unveiled 302 Mustang. If you’ve already seen the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang before, then you’ll immediately spot the new grille and front bumper, both of which are much more aggressive than what the car comes as standard with.

Details are virtually non-existent, and even in its official statement, Saleen did not share any technical information. All they said was:

“With this model being the first major Mustang redesign since 2005, we took this as an opportunity to push the limits in both design and performance. We feel this latest Saleen mustang model is perfectly positioned as the next American exotic, campaigning on the world stage. As a first look, the final features and specifications of the 2015 S302 Mustang will be released as our unveiling and production draws nearer.”

If the rest of the changes to the car’s look are just as tastefully aggressive as on the front fascia, then we must admit to being very eager to see what the rest of the body looks like.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/sal...stang-302.html
Old 07-02-14, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Always liked Saleen's available upgrades
Old 07-05-14, 10:06 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Quick Reply: 2015 Ford Mustang