Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 05:20 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOOKS NICE!

I like it. Drag racers will not be happy with rear IRS but whatever.

I've always wanted a Mustang. Hmmm....
Old 12-05-13, 06:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pretty cool, glad to see they kept some of the traditional styling cues.
Old 12-05-13, 06:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looking better and better each day. That interior is a big improvement too
Old 12-05-13, 06:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
looking better and better each day. That interior is a big improvement too
its going to sell no matter what really. its probably one of the best sellers out there.. Everywhere you look there's a mustang.. its been that way for years...
Old 12-05-13, 07:43 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what are the pros and cons between the 3.7 liter NA V6 and the Ecoboost turbo 4 cylinder.

Either way, I'm still opting for the V8

Anyways, more power to Mustang (an American sports car icon that is ready for the global stage)
Old 12-05-13, 08:58 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

My first car was a 1979 4-cyl Turbo Mustang with 132hp. My first and only pre owned car. It look just like this picture that I googled for about 2 years until I got it repainted to remove the stickers. I got it in 1984 with 50K miles on it. Drove it until 1989 when I finished college and got my first new car (1988 Mustang)

Last edited by KayGee; 12-05-13 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-05-13, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I don't know why, but the side profile and the entire door panel reminds me of the RC!
Not a bad thing. Essentially the GT version will be a RC-F for half the price
Old 12-05-13, 11:19 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

This was in the video where she was talking about how they have improved the interior quality and used top notch materials.

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Ford Mustang-screen-shot-2013-12-05-at-11.16.54-am.png  
Old 12-05-13, 11:27 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ I noticed that to. A number of areas in that video and some of the press pics where the interior fit and finish is just terrible.

And, BTW, for what it is I think both the interior and exterior look great. I also think the performance is going to be outstanding.
Old 12-05-13, 12:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Modern Mustang? Where and to whom?

To designers of previous Mustang probably.

This is still targeted toward muscle car lovers of the 60s and 70s. Everything tracks back to older designs including the most important one - profile. Even in video they admit little details were inspired by their heritage also. Well they just forgot that if you cater to old heritage design wise you are missing on opportunity to create new heritage for upcoming generations. I do not understand that philosophy and that includes Porsche that has proven again and again they cannot design nothing contemporary good looking so they are going the safe road.
yeah i'm sure porsche and ford should take your advice as they seem to be struggling.

the trade-off of old fans vs. new is always difficult. EVERY new corvette that comes out for example is roundly TRASHED by owners of older ones, but every new one brings in new buyers and shows how much better it is. this mustang will be no different. no one design can please everyone, and if you have a LONG and VERY successful model, you don't just throw out all the stuff people have come to associate with it.
Old 12-05-13, 01:10 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

looks great. it looks like a mustang. and it looks modern. i can't complain. interior is light years better than the current gen, but still not my cup of tea.
Old 12-05-13, 01:15 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
This was in the video where she was talking about how they have improved the interior quality and used top notch materials.

it's definitely an improvement.

i don't love it, but i wouldn't mind it.
Old 12-05-13, 01:42 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Ford nailed it spot on.

it's kinda like the thinking man's mustang. Subtle yet brutal.

It's like a blend of the aston vanquish coupe, bmw 6 series coupe and a mustang.

The styling cues and price points cover many segments including the accord coupe, infiniti coupe, audi s5 coupe and bmw 6 series coupes. If your going to spend 80k on a bmw 6 series coupe then u have to seriously consider this mustang. I love it. I will seriously consider buying this as my next car.
Old 12-05-13, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Default J Mays on the 2015 Ford Mustang

J Mays on the 2015 Ford Mustang

J Mays, head of design at Ford, may be retiring from the company after 16 years, but not before showing the world his swan song: the 2015 Mustang. Ford officially revealed its new coupe and convertible to the public at events around the world on Thursday, including a live unveiling on ABC's Good Morning America, and Mays was in attendance at the automaker's home event in Dearborn, MI, which is where we caught up with him for a few words about his new baby.

"It's a joy" to design the Mustang, Mays told Autoblog, adding that this sixth-generation coupe is his "favorite design so far." Of course, the 2015 model takes cues from all of the generations that came before it, but Mays said it was important to edit down the specific elements from previous models, leaving just enough off to let the customer "participate and fill in the blanks."

"We could have gone down and checked the list," Mays stated. "We did that a little bit in 2005." There aren't any fake scoops on this car, no added plastic bits, and the faux-gas cap look to the GT emblem on the rear has been axed. "That's walking away from something [that] doesn't need to be there," we were told. Overall, the final 2015 Mustang design needed to be a cohesive package that tells a story of confidence, power and aggression. And while Mays said there were plenty of designs that he and the team really liked ("at some point, those will surface"), the company strived to find essential elements that would make this car a proper Mustang, even though so much of the design work "ends up on the cutting room floor."

As we told you in our Deep Dive, the Mustang will be offered with three engines, including a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline four-cylinder, expected to produce more than 305 horsepower. But unlike other models in the Ford range, Mays confirmed that the Mustang will not have specific EcoBoost badging. There's also the Convertible variant, which was absent from the Dearborn reveal, and Mays notes that the droptop model was designed right alongside the hardtop, since it was important to create a profile that would work on both bodystyles.

For the first time, Ford will officially offer the Mustang in markets outside of the United States, and Mays isn't worried about it failing to attract customers. Why? "It's drop-dead gorgeous" and there's "50 years of pent-up demand." The design boss said it was more important to get the design finalized first, and then offer it to the world. Sure, things like European pedestrian crash standards were baked into the car's design from the get-go, but being able to succeed on a global scale wasn't a major factor in creating the shape of the sixth-generation car. Besides, as Mays says, "If it doesn't sell itself, you probably aren't a Mustang fan."
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2...ign-interview/
Old 12-05-13, 03:12 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2.3 Liter I4 Turbo

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-1913085/

Press Release

HORSEPOWER UNLEASHED – MOTIVATING THE ALL-NEW FORD MUSTANG

5.0-liter V8 anchors the all-new Ford Mustang lineup with power and torque fit for the iconic brand
New 2.3-liter EcoBoost® brings turbocharging to Mustang with exceptional power and torque and projected class-leading fuel efficiency
Manual transmissions provide smoother shifting, automatic transmissions feature steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters
The all-new Ford Mustang offers a choice of engines available with either manual or automatic transmissions that make it a great all-around performer no matter how you mix and match.

Less is more, EcoBoost comes to Mustang
The new 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine brings turbocharging to the Mustang powertrain lineup. Designed to meet the needs of drivers looking for outstanding performance and projected best-in-class fuel efficiency, this EcoBoost engine has been developed specifically for Mustang. The intake manifold and turbocharger housing are optimized to provide better breathing and higher output in Mustang.

With a projected 305-plus horsepower and 300-plus lb.-ft. of torque, this EcoBoost engine fits the bill for a true Mustang powerplant.

"This EcoBoost engine delivers the healthy output that Mustang drivers expect regardless of the speed," said Scott Makowksi, EcoBoost powertrain engineering manager. "This EcoBoost engine might be small in displacement, but it delivers where a Mustang driver expects it with a broad, flat torque curve and great driveability under any conditions."

The newest member of Ford's global family of EcoBoost engines, the 2.3-liter continues to take advantage of state-of-the-art technologies including direct fuel injection, twin independent variable camshaft timing and turbocharging to produce big-engine power and torque with improved fuel efficiency.

This is the first Ford engine to utilize a low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger that provides quicker boost response while enabling lower emissions and improved efficiency. The cylinder head features an integrated exhaust manifold that separates the inner and outer pairs of cylinders into each inlet passage to the turbo.

Keeping the exhaust pulses separated from the next cylinder in the firing order eliminates mixing losses and maximizes pulse energy to the turbine wheel. The result is quicker torque delivery when the driver needs it for passing maneuvers and similar performance to a twin-turbocharger configuration.

The separated exhaust ports also enable the exhaust valves to stay open longer for reduced pumping losses that improve specific fuel consumption by about 1 percent.

With more than 305 horsepower and 300 lb.-ft. of torque pumped out from such a small engine, in a car where drivers are more inclined to use it, ensuring durability was critical. Enhancements to the Mustang EcoBoost engine to withstand the added stresses include:

Forged-steel crankshaft
Piston-cooling jets
Steel piston ring carriers
Premium bearing materials
Upgraded valve seat materials
Forged-steel connecting rods
High-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block with ladder-frame bearing caps
Deep-sump, die-cast aluminum oil pan
The beating heart of a pony
No Ford Mustang engine lineup would be complete without a great V8 engine at its core. The 5.0-liter V8 powers into a new generation with a host of upgrades that enable it to breathe better, especially at higher engine speeds. Many of these changes are derived from the lessons learned in developing the special edition 2013 Mustang Boss 302.

Getting air into the cylinders and exhaust out is the key to generating more power and torque from any engine, and that has been the focus of development on the V8, which features:

Larger intake valves
Larger exhaust valves
Revised intake camshafts
Revised exhaust camshafts
Stiffer valve springs – ensures that the valves close completely at high rpm
New cylinder-head casting – revised ports that provide a straighter path to the valves for less-restrictive intake and exhaust flow; combustion chamber modifications accommodate larger valves
Sinter forged connecting rods – lighter and more durable for high-rpm operation
Redesigned piston tops – deeper cutouts clear the new larger valves
Rebalanced forged crankshaft – supports higher-rpm operation
These upgrades are projected to generate more than 420 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. of torque.

A new intake manifold includes charge motion control valves to partially close off port flow at lower engine speeds. This increases the air charge tumble and swirl for improved air-fuel mixing. This results in better fuel economy, idle stability and lower emissions.

The variable camshaft timing on the intake side now has a greater range of adjustment available thanks to mid-lock phasers. This enables better optimized control of the valve timing over a broader range of engine speeds and loads for improved fuel economy and emissions

Transmissions
More than most drivers, Mustang owners like to take control and shift for themselves. Whether they select a fully manual gearbox or the updated automatic transmission, the experience will be better than in any previous pony.

The Getrag manual has a new shift linkage design for shorter throws and improved precision. The shift lever is now positioned closer to the driver and away from the cup-holders so the driver has a clear path for shifting.

Mustang blends outstanding all-around performance and everyday usability. Drivers who prefer to let the car handle the shifting during their daily work run, but still want to take control when the roads get twisty, will appreciate the new steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles with rev-matching downshifts that are now standard with the Select-Shift six-speed automatic transmission.

The automatic also features a redesigned case with cast-in ribs that help make it stiffer and reduce the weight. Internally clutches have been optimized and operating temperature has been increased to reduce friction. The output shaft is now supported by a ball-bearing that enables a top speed of 155 mph for Mustang GT.

With a choice of powertrains to match driving styles and lifestyles, the new Mustang has contemporary technology under the hood to match its modern design and remain quintessentially Mustang.

Quick Reply: 2015 Ford Mustang