Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Ford Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 12:15 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Mustang is the poor mans RC

lol
Mustang has been around for 50 years. More like RC is the rich mans Mustang.
Old 12-07-13, 02:54 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
True.

But I hope Lexus does not over cook the 5.0L RCF. I'm sure they can drop the 5.0 in there without too much compromise.

Old 12-07-13, 03:54 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True.

But I hope Lexus does not over cook the 5.0L RCF. I'm sure they can drop the 5.0 in there without too much compromise.

5.0 RC-F sounds very promising. But I think it will be 2.5x the price
Old 12-07-13, 06:16 AM
dgsvt
Driver

Couldn't agree more. This mustang looks great. I just wish I didn't have to wait another year to buy either of these. If the RC-F is another year beyond the RC350 (August 2015), then a Mustang GT premium with performance pack and 6 speed might get my money.
Old 12-07-13, 06:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
My first car was a 1979 4-cyl Turbo Mustang with 132hp. My first and only pre owned car. It look just like this picture that I googled for about 2 years until I got it repainted to remove the stickers. I got it in 1984 with 50K miles on it. Drove it until 1989 when I finished college and got my first new car (1988 Mustang)

My second car was a 87 5.0 LX vert, had that car for a couple years with no issues then bought a 95 GT... I swear that car was bullet proof lol... I used royal purple and Mobil 1 and when i had the valve cover gaskets changed the mechanic said it looked really clean for a car that had over 100k... That was a great car for its time... Funny back than 225HP was a lot lol....
Old 12-07-13, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And I think you and I can both agree that the four-cylinder/V6 Mustang II of the mid-70s was in insult to the Mustang name.
i wasn't in the u.s. in the mid-70's

Mustang is the poor mans RC
not sure the point, they're completely different. wonder which will actually be available to buy first?
Old 12-07-13, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i wasn't in the u.s. in the mid-70's
Good. Then you probably didn't have to look at it.
Old 12-07-13, 10:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good. Then you probably didn't have to look at it.
The Mustang II was an absolute disgrace in the Mustang's lineage.

Ford has many times in its history played fast and loose with the Mustang. There was the Pinto-based II and the bloated Fairlane-based Stangs of the 70's (though I did love the Mach 1). Remember when Ford considered making the Ford Probe the new Mustang? Of course, public outcry caused them to wisely ditch that idea.

I think the 2015 is looking like it could be the best Mustang ever.
Old 12-07-13, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Remember when Ford considered making the Ford Probe the new Mustang? Of course, public outcry caused them to wisely ditch that idea.
Yep. You bet. I remember it well. The Probe was a joint four/V6 FWD Ford/Mazda design whose basic platform (but not the body/interior) was also shared with the Mazda MX-6 sport-coupe. As you note, the flood of complaints from the Mustang faithful overwhelmed the Ford marketers and cancelled the proposed Mustang version of it. I myself talked to the Ford people about it at the D.C. Auto Show that year.

I think the 2015 is looking like it could be the best Mustang ever.
Yes and no. It may be the most refined and best-handling ever, but I'm worried by the loss of the durable live rear axle. If the same burnout-prone kids buy it that bought a lot of previous Mustang V8s, it's probably going to join the independent-rear-suspension Camaro SS and Challenger R/T in having potential drivetrain problems from abuse.
Old 12-07-13, 12:31 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly, there is some minor debate with regards to the introduction of a FOUR CYLINDER engine in this new Mustang.

It looks like Ford wanted to take a blast into the past considering that two decades ago, there was a car named Mustang SVO and it had four cylinders as well.

AFAIK, it was one of the best American Sports cars during the 80s

P.S.
Either way though, when it comes to Mustang, it's either I go V8 or I go home
Old 12-07-13, 02:16 PM
05EX
Pole Position

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...-2015-Mustang/

"Ford Mustang (2015) CAR inteviews the chief engineer

By Ben Pulman

First Official Pictures

05 December 2013 05:00

The new sixth-generation Ford Mustang will be sold in the UK and Europe, as well as around the world. Ahead of its launch in the UK in 2015, we talk the Mustang's chief engineer Dave Perciak on what to expect from the new 'pony car'.

How long have you been working on the sixth-generation Ford Mustang?
We started in early 2010, looking at the whole idea, about what the Mustang was going to be and how much it was going to change. Around one year ago the first prototypes were running around so we could validate the suspension and other settings.

Have you engineered the Mustang differently because it’s now being sold worldwide?
We didn’t decide to make a global Mustang, but to take the Mustang global. It’s a subtle but very important difference. We weren’t going to let other markets influence the Mustang, even though the world was ready for the Mustang before we were ready to sell it to the world. But that thought kept driving us – the world wants the Mustang because of what it is. We believe 100% this is a true Mustang. We don’t want to offer something that’s compromised, we want to offer Mustang in its true form.

Have you tuned the Mustang specifically for European roads?
We didn’t have to change anything – all that’s different are the things required for homologation, or because they’re not legal. We’re cognisant of where we’re going to sell the Mustang. European roads are one of the inputs we’ve taken into account. All European cars will have the Performance Pack which means a larger radiator, summer tyres, 19in wheels, not 20s, with wider 275-rear tyres on the V8, upgraded brake cooling, six-piston calipers for the V8 and four-piston for the Ecoboost, and upgraded and specifically tuned axles.

What advantages does the new independent rear suspension bring?
IRS was always planned from the start. We could have taken a solid rear axle global, but this has allowed us to go even further. IRS improves both stiffness and compliance. There’s half as much squat under acceleration, plus it’s more planted, more stable, but also less harsh with better primary and secondary ride.

Tell us about the new four-cylinder Ecoboost engine.
It’s been specifically designed and engineered for performance. There’s a twin-scroll turbo, a steel crank, more power and torque than the V6, and significantly improved economy.The 3.7-litre V6 is essentially a carryover and in the US the Ecoboost will outsell the V6.

Will the Ecoboost engine sound like it belongs in a Mustang?
With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don’t create an artificial sound, we don’t pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car’s speakers. Today’s V6 sounds fantastic, and although the Ecoboost won’t sound like a V8, it won’t sound like it doesn’t belong in a Mustang either.

What work have you done to the 5.0-litre V8?
We’ve made massive improvements with revised higher-lift cams, better flow from the cylinder heads, a new intake manifold, valve springs and conrods from the Boss 302. Top speeds have been raised across the range, and the V8 now does 155mph.

How quick will it be?
We’ve set some really aggressive performance: we’ve added aluminum, optimized the car, and our goal for a Performance Pack V8 is to beat the Boss at the track. We’ve very happy with our performance.

When you first take off and roll, even if you’re blindfolded, you’ll know you’re in a Mustang, but when you push harder you’ll find it’s extremely well balanced, and that it’s a better car than the driver. We’ve raised the chin-up bar significantly.

Will there be a Shelby version of the latest Mustang? Can the 662bhp V8 from the outgoing GT500 fit?

The 5.8-litre supercharged engine? We’ve not excluded it from fitting. Modifications will have to be made, but will it go under the hood? Yes, it will…"
Old 12-07-13, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dgsvt
Couldn't agree more. This mustang looks great. I just wish I didn't have to wait another year to buy either of these. If the RC-F is another year beyond the RC350 (August 2015), then a Mustang GT premium with performance pack and 6 speed might get my money.
Both will be compelling cars, with the new Mustang arguably being the best it's been ever, and the RC adding something to the Lexus Line that it hasn't had since the original SC. Excited for both!

I'm still in awe over this pic. What a profile! I want to be "in the moment" walking out of a SBux and up to this beauty albeit in black
Old 12-09-13, 01:22 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but the stang will start at 26k and the RC will be about double or triple the price.

this mustang just rocks. It can be considered a luxury coupe or a sports coupe. It can compete with camaro, down to accord coupe and go all the way up to the bmw 6 series coupe and mercedes CL class.

Both will be compelling cars, with the new Mustang arguably being the best it's been ever, and the RC adding something to the Lexus Line that it hasn't had since the original SC. Excited for both!

I'm still in awe over this pic. What a profile! I want to be "in the moment" walking out of a SBux and up to this beauty albeit in black
Old 12-09-13, 08:36 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 05EX
Quoted just because it is so sexy. Once everyone add their personal touches I think these are going to be the best looking Mustangs since the 60's
Old 12-09-13, 09:39 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those open mesh wheelss are sick!!

Quick Reply: 2015 Ford Mustang