Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

From E46 M3 to ISF and now back to E90 M3...Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 11:21 PM
James7
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

your NSX is bad ***.. no need for the others lol..
Old 03-09-13, 11:32 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys, I love the car - it's apples / oranges to an ISF really so don't believe what you read in magazines!

The two cars are competitors in their book but in my eyes they are two very different cars.

Appreciate the kind words, I promise some better pictures as the car gets a few more mods
Old 03-10-13, 12:40 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny,

This is exactly the switch I was thinking about doing. I like my IS-F but I can't say I love my IS-F coming from a world full of supra's, and even an aristo. All of them have their merits.

I loved my mk4 supra because it was so solid agile and raw. Power was something you never needed to worry about as there was always far too much you should ever need to stay within the bounds of the speed limit.

My RHD Aristo was a WONDERFUL and FAST DD! I added suspension and a supra LSD and I'll tell you I don't think I had a more reliable fun car in my life. Did over 100,000 KM with over 400 WHP with next to no maintenance other then the essentials. I used to drive that thing though rain, sleet, snow, and all the salt that Ontario (Canada) roads had to offer with not so much as a spec of rust or problems.

My IS-F does put a smile on my face when I wind the engine out and use Manual mode, however, every time I take a slow corner fast trying to make it slide I get 1 wheel spin from the missing LSD. That alone gives it HUGE negative points (I know resolved in 2010+, but still 3k+ conversion for my 08) I also chose the IS-F because I though it was the better DD than a M3 simply because of gas mileage, which I knew would be worse on the M3. I also don't like how many of the M3's require all sorts of packages to bring up the features to match to the IS-F. It's very strange because I agree with Jeremy Clarkson.... It's missing something IMO... I like the car, but I'm not in love with the car. The funny thing is it's a WONDERFUL car, because it really does everything well except make me smile ear to ear every time I drive it... Something the Supra, Aristo did.

What makes you guys love your IS-F? Maybe I need to modify mine a bit to make me a happy camper? Exhaust and a LSD might make the difference, but I would really REALLY love 200WHP more from a turbo on E85.

I feel like the IS-F is the forgotten child of the car world. There are quite simply no worthwhile modifications for the car.

(I don't consider IHE mods as every car has them regardless of make)

S4Play, maybe we could meet up some time.... I'd love to see how the M3 rides and what not, I'm in the market shopping hard for another car, and I'm not sure if I'm getting another car to add to the lexus or one to replace to the lexus... Been eyeing MK4 supras again as it's like thinking of a high school sweet heart.
Old 03-11-13, 09:07 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really, releasing the gas pedal before downshifting means no hesitation.

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
I think the downshifts are the difference. F hesitates for a second. But upshifting I think is a wash.
By the way, my 2012 ISF has a thicker steering wheel than my 2008 ISF.
Old 03-11-13, 05:29 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Sure drop me a PM if you want to meet up sometime, love to talk cars

I was not aware of all these changes for the 2012 car, my buddy just got one though so guess I can check it out, seems like the 2008 was missing a lot of the goodies. I love the 2010 rims but don't like the 2012 style.
Old 03-12-13, 07:26 AM
sclui56
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Not really, releasing the gas pedal before downshifting means no hesitation.

By the way, my 2012 ISF has a thicker steering wheel than my 2008 ISF.
As much as I like the M3's, I prefer to own the IS-F, especially here in So Cal. There are way too many M's, besides, I have had 2 E-65's back to back since 2003, simply don't care to donate more $ post warranty. I was quoted by multiple dealers for a top coolant tube O-ring failure in the range of $10k because the prescribed procedure was to lift the engine in order to R&R the tube from the front. Ended up using a proven after-market design of sleeved tube and paid a quarter of that, still way too much IMHO for an O-ring failure.

As far as the seteering wheel goes - I thought the one on my 12 was nice, until I received a M-wheel for my 07 3.0si Z4, that M-wheel is simply so beefy and comfortable, even when standing still. Wished I could get something similar for the F.
Old 03-12-13, 07:19 PM
Capn
Rookie

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new acquisition S4Play. Nice to hear your thoughts with the vehicles.

I'm a huge BMW guy myself and actually did a lot of research and comparing of the two cars before I broke my 10 year stretch of buying BMW's and sunk into my IS-F.

I absolutely agree with some of the comments mentioned already, and I will add a few as well that were deciding factors for me:

1) IS-F Steering wheel needs to be thickened to BMW diameters. My biggest pet peeve.
2) BMW Navigation blows. It's difficult and cumbersome no matter which way you try to sugarcoat it.
3) My research concluded the IS-F was a tad faster than the M3. There are a couple extra ponies there but more importantly quite a bit more torque on tap than the M3. BUT, the one thing the BMW has going for it is the relative ease of modding it. We are rather limited with mods on the IS-F.
4) My insurance was actually cheaper than that of a comparable BMW (great driving record).
5) At least in Utah, the IS-F is a much rarer car than the M3.
6) Resale on any Toyota/Lexus will always be better than any German car
and lastly, 7) Here, we are limited to two BMW dealerships owned by the same company. Their customer service history is ****-poor. It has been SOOO very refreshing to visit my Lexus dealer and get treated better. It's no reason why Lexus has topped customer satisfaction scores for so many years.

I used to attend M-Fest regularly. That is something I miss dearly. Maybe we out to start a F-Fest in Vegas.

Anyway, congrats again. You're going enjoy the car! I hope Lexus does indeed made an F hardtop vert one day so I don't have to buy a E93!!
Old 03-13-13, 10:59 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

This is my favorite part of the new car ~ with this seat behind the passenger side I can still fold down the other side of the rear seats to fit larger cargo in the car! (this is priceless for me since I am always carrying paintings....another hobby)

Old 03-14-13, 11:57 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi S4Play. I enjoyed your review. Do you think your opinion would have changed if you'd compared the M3 to a later model IS-F? Do let us know in time of maintenance and upkeep costs. I really like BMW's. Driven plenty, but have always been hesitant to own one.
Old 03-15-13, 12:46 PM
1slowF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both and I would have to say I love the lexus more. I seem to think the lexus is quieter inside. Less road noise and I guess you can say less raw performance feeling like the m3 has.

I have problems with the m3 with little things here and there and lexus hasn't given me one.

backup sensor for m3 sucks ***** compared to backup camera in general

still 2 great cars though
Old 03-16-13, 07:32 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

My last 2 German cars have been totally trouble free and both lived lives as my daily driver in tough midwest climates so maybe I got lucky or just certain cars have problems.

The IS-F was 100% trouble free in the time I owned her so no complaint there either.

Certain things on the M3 such as the iDrive NAV interface and backup beeping sensor feel a bit dated compared to the newer cars with backup cameras and touchscreen interface but when you buy a performance car, in general the technology is 10 years behind. I think this is true on Ferrari/Lambo compared to say a Honda Accord. The M3 is certainly no exotic so I imagine the new M3/M4 to be much better.

I drove a late model 2012 IS-F last night with a friend to dinner and the car does feel a lot tighter. The interior trim is amazing quality and that cluster display is 10x better than the old one. You guys were right, the steering wheel is thicker than my 2008 model and around freeway sweepers the car feels solid too. His car is stock so exhaust is quiet and ride is less bouncy than earlier models. What I love the most is the move to put the sport button on the steering wheel! Good job Lexus, hope to see what they do with the next model if they build one. I may come back to an IS-F

For now I'm planning mods for the M3 and first on the list is a custom Valentine 1 system and then Brembo's and BMW Performance seats down the road. Just those latter two mods will cost me more than my last motorcycle ~ouch!

Teaser photo of my V1 setup...hehe

P.S. Before you guys ask - this custom setup WILL NOT work on the IS-F because of the touchscreen display will trigger false alarms on the V1. This is the main reason on my past IS-F I custom mounted the main unit under the mirror.
Old 03-17-13, 05:45 PM
LexFather

^^^ Thanks for the updates bro.

Old 03-17-13, 09:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy **** I love ur garage!!!
Old 03-19-13, 02:22 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats Rick.. You have the best tastes in cars.... Very nice...
Old 03-24-13, 10:45 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats Rick.. You have the best tastes in cars.... Very nice...
thank you kind sir!

Well still haven't had time to really do a photoshoot but been busy with the electronics and interior of the car trying to get it right. Here you can see the V1 remote display and how the main unit looks in the rear

Quick Reply: From E46 M3 to ISF and now back to E90 M3...Impressions