Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LaFerrari(F70)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-13, 10:38 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pagani Zonda has nothing on this sexy beast called LaFerrari!
Old 03-05-13, 10:39 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Imagine how insane the FXX model will be...
Old 03-06-13, 01:50 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Ferrari and the big Mc. Porsche needs to go back to the drawing board for their top dog, McLaren and Ferrari jumped like two generations forward and Porsche only one.
Old 03-06-13, 05:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the porsche one is nearly half the price though at $1M
Old 03-06-13, 09:05 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
All of the sudden 600hp is slow
Everything is relative
Old 03-06-13, 01:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by j three
I love the Ferrari and the big Mc. Porsche needs to go back to the drawing board for their top dog, McLaren and Ferrari jumped like two generations forward and Porsche only one.
I have to disagree. the 918 is very very advanced. In fact it might me even more advanced than both the McLaren and the ferrari. If not its equal. Read up on it a bit more and I think you'll see what I mean
Old 03-06-13, 02:24 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have to disagree. the 918 is very very advanced. In fact it might me even more advanced than both the McLaren and the ferrari. If not its equal. Read up on it a bit more and I think you'll see what I mean
Quick comparisons of specs and features:

Hybrid features:
918: plug-in, batteries rechargeable by engine while moving, an additional motor driving the front wheels making the car AWD, EV range = 16 miles
F70: non-plug-in, batteries rechargeable by engine while moving, no EV mode
P1: plug-in, batteries rechargeable by engine only when stopped, EV range = 6.2 miles

Weight:
918: 3,748lbs (seriously?)
F70: 2,766lbs
P1: 3,075lbs

Power:
918: 823hp
F70: 963hp
P1: 903hp

So the 918 seems to have the best hybrid system but is also the heaviest (by far) and least powerful of the bunch. I'll probably take the Ferrari myself just for the weight savings alone.
Old 03-06-13, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
The P1 does use regenerative braking to recharge its batteries. Seems that the F70 is superior in that it can also recharge the batteries with excessive engine output, whereas the P1's engine can only recharge the batteries in a generator mode, requiring the car to be fully stopped first.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/mc...brid-supercar/
but that link says opposite - it can charge the engine while going but without regenerative braking.

Ferrari doesnt have batteries, thats why it is lighter so much... its flywheel hybrid.
Old 03-06-13, 04:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Old 03-06-13, 04:19 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
but that link says opposite - it can charge the engine while going but without regenerative braking.
Please reread that link:
"battery can be charged either by the electric motor on deceleration or via a wall plug stored in the luggage compartment."

You do know what regenerative braking is right?
Ferrari doesnt have batteries, thats why it is lighter so much... its flywheel hybrid.
Please read:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/photoga...led-at-geneva/

"It consists of a 6.3-liter V12, two electric motors, and a 132-pound battery pack mounted to the floor."
Old 03-06-13, 04:21 PM
LexFather

One by one with these supercars us hybrid owners are vindicated

Old 03-06-13, 04:42 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

jesus christ even with the KERS its 20% lighter than the Enzo
Old 03-06-13, 07:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Please reread that link:
"battery can be charged either by the electric motor on deceleration or via a wall plug stored in the luggage compartment."

You do know what regenerative braking is right?

(Regenerative braking wasn’t employed to avoid degradation of brake feel.)
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

I am assuming they basically use it as larger alternator while slowing down, taking kinetic energy but not using it for actual braking while charge mode lets engine recharge it, like in Prius.

info is really scattered around the place and official website has nothing smart... same for ferrari, one of the sites said no batteries at all... but as it has small batteries, it means it can get boost for loner and more often than kers system in F1.
Old 03-06-13, 07:17 PM
JessePS

So they are really not joking about the name of this Ferrari :/
Old 03-06-13, 07:47 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

I am assuming they basically use it as larger alternator while slowing down, taking kinetic energy but not using it for actual braking
Argh it frustrates me that you really don't understand what regenerative braking means. It means exactly what even C&D quoted, that the batteries are recharged by "the electric motor on deceleration", which means that the same electric motor that turns electric energy into kinetic energy during acceleration is used to turn kinetic energy back into electric energy during deceleration. That's what's called regenerative braking. C&D, like you, apparently had no idea what regenerative braking means, so when they read McLaren's PR and didn't find the buzzword "regenerative braking" they put a remark saying it doesn't have the buzzword "regenerative braking", following the sentence that actually describes the P1 having this very feature in a different wording.
while charge mode lets engine recharge it, like in Prius.
Argh there's no charge mode in the Prius ok? In the Prius everything is seamlessly done via the planetary gearset. In the P1 the engine recharging the batteries is called "pit-lane charging" for a reason. The engine can only charge when it's in charge mode and cannot be connected to the transmission.
info is really scattered around the place and official website has nothing smart... same for ferrari, one of the sites said no batteries at all... but as it has small batteries, it means it can get boost for loner and more often than kers system in F1.
You're talking about an earlier speculation that the HY-KERS is a direct adaptation of the flywheel-based KERS in F1, which turns out to be untrue now that the official info is out (start from 0:50).

Last edited by ydooby; 03-06-13 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: LaFerrari(F70)