Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota i-ROAD leans its way into the city

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 03:50 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Toyota i-ROAD leans its way into the city

Toyota i-ROAD leans its way into the city

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyot...photo-5682079/

According to Toyota, the "i-ROAD takes the company closer to its goal of creating the ultimate range of eco cars." As you're surely aware, that range of eco cars includes the enormously successful Prius family, but this new machine is nothing like the hybrid hatchback. And it's not even a car – Toyota calls the i-ROAD a Personal Mobility Vehicle.

Toyota's i-ROAD Concept, which debuts at this week's Geneva Motor Show, is adorned with just three wheels, meaning it's just as much a motorcycle as it is a car, and the driver and passenger sit in tandem style instead of side-by-side. This arrangement allows for a very thin 850mm width, which is about the same as a large motorcycle. Because the cockpit is enclosed, the occupants don't need helmets, nor are they open to the elements outside.

Also like a traditional two-wheeler, the i-ROAD tilts through the turns and when driving on uneven surfaces. Toyota says its computer-controlled Active Lean technology automatically balances the vehicle with no input from the driver.

Despite the automaker's expertise in hybrid drivetrains, the i-ROAD is a pure electric vehicle, and Toyota says it "believes in the feasibility of EVs to serve as a main mode of transport for short urban journeys." There's a two-kilowatt motor in each front wheel, meaning the i-ROAD offers up just over five horsepower, which isn't a lot but should be enough to get moving up to city traffic speeds (no performance specs are available).

An on-board lithium ion battery allows for a range of around 30 miles, after which the vehicle can be recharged in three hours using "a conventional domestic power supply." We're a little unsure of what Toyota means by that – using a 110-volt outlet or a 220-volt outlet, or perhaps a unique charger? – but you're welcome to see the press release yourself below, along with a video showing the leaning three-wheeler in action.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/04/t...-city-w-video/
Old 03-04-13, 04:13 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn... why didn't I just patent this idea back in elementary school.
Old 03-04-13, 04:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's an enclosed version of the Piaggio MP3 that's been on sale for six years now...

Old 03-04-13, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's an enclosed version of the Piaggio MP3 that's been on sale for six years now...
But this is a Toyota so you know it'll be reliable!!

jk I know nothing about motorcycle reliability hah
Old 03-05-13, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Depends on where it came from. Toyota once sold, in their home JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) a rebadged version of the Chevrolet Cavalier....a car you and I both know was poorly-built. It was part of a buisness arrangement they had with GM, back whan GM was selling some rebadged Toyotas here.

PhilipMSPT has a fair point on the Italian mechanicals, although some 6 years of production should (by now) be long enough to perfect the design some.
Old 03-05-13, 09:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on where it came from. Toyota once sold, in their home JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) a rebadged version of the Chevrolet Cavalier....a car you and I both know was poorly-built. It was part of a buisness arrangement they had with GM, back whan GM was selling some rebadged Toyotas here.

PhilipMSPT has a fair point on the Italian mechanicals, although some 6 years of production should (by now) be long enough to perfect the design some.
maybe it came from Mars.
Old 03-05-13, 09:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

jk I know nothing about motorcycle reliability hah
Piaggio is ok reliable when it comes to motorcycles but standards are pretty different compared to cars.

Of course, this is fully enclosed EV, inside looks like any other car.

I think Japanese government is somehow either mandating or subsidizing the costs of these 1 seater EV vehicles, because they determined that they are optimal for the city.
Old 03-05-13, 09:49 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Only one I can think of was the Pontiac Vibe / Matrix over here at the Nummi plant (now Tesla). Anything else?
Old 03-05-13, 12:32 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only one I can think of was the Pontiac Vibe / Matrix over here at the Nummi plant (now Tesla). Anything else?
they sold it as a corolla in Japan, and it was the only car for which a Toyota CEO apologized publically for even offering it. At the time GM was selling the rebadged Sprinster/ Corollas as the Geo/Chevy Prizm.

Last edited by My0gr81; 03-05-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-05-13, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
they sold it as a corolla in Japan, and it was the only car for which a Toyota CEO apologized publically for even offering it. At the time GM was selling the rebadged Sprinster/ Corollas as the Geo/Chevy Prizm.
this is not true. First of all Vibe/Matrix were Toyota designs that Toyota also produced for GM.

What Toyota apologized for is to GM for lack of effort to sell rebadged GM models in Japan. He didnt apologize to Japanese people for offering Pontiac Vibe as Toyota, if thats what you are thinking. GM and Toyota had relationship in Japan where Toyota tried to sell several of GM cars under one of the Toyota brand/sales network and they sold poorly so they apologized to GM for them selling poorly.

Toyota in Japan sells over 50 vehicles in 5 different sales networks. This is how they can manage to get >40% market share in Japan.
Old 03-05-13, 03:16 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyot...photo-5685389/
Old 03-05-13, 06:45 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is not true. First of all Vibe/Matrix were Toyota designs that Toyota also produced for GM.

What Toyota apologized for is to GM for lack of effort to sell rebadged GM models in Japan. He didnt apologize to Japanese people for offering Pontiac Vibe as Toyota, if thats what you are thinking. GM and Toyota had relationship in Japan where Toyota tried to sell several of GM cars under one of the Toyota brand/sales network and they sold poorly so they apologized to GM for them selling poorly.

Toyota in Japan sells over 50 vehicles in 5 different sales networks. This is how they can manage to get >40% market share in Japan.
This is well before the vibe/matrix period. Toyota actually rebadged a cavalier and not only did it sell poorly, what sold was unreliable as could be expected. This is not about Toyota selling GM cars and those cars selling poorly,this about rebadging a piece of cr4p.

This is also getting way off topic.
Old 03-05-13, 09:09 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 03-05-13, 09:15 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

i can see this great for that cup of starbucks coffee in the morning... not
Old 03-05-13, 10:45 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Although interesting, am i the only one who is reminded of Steve Urkel's Isetta?

Quick Reply: Toyota i-ROAD leans its way into the city