Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 07:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar's New 2017 XE Configurator is for U.S.

We've no idea how much Jaguar will charge for the new XE in the States yet, but you can now go ahead and configure your dream version online as the model's configurator is now live.

You can choose from three trim grades, the base, R-Sport and S, with the configurator giving you options on colors (13 total), alloy wheels, plus interior décor and upholstery colors.

While the rest of the world will begin to get the new XE next year, it’s going to be a long wait for North America, as U.S. delivers are scheduled for early 2016 – hence the 2017MY nameplate.

Engine options on this side of the world should include Jag's new Ingenium 2.0-liter turbo four with up to 237-horses (240PS) and the 335hp (340PS) supercharged 3.0-liter V6.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/jag...or-is-for.html
Old 10-10-14, 07:02 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is What a Jaguar XE Sportbrake Might Look Like

Jaguar will surely make an estate/wagon variant of its all-new XE compact exec and it will most likely look like this rendered interpretation. Nothing spectacular here, just an accurate-looking render by RM Design.

It may not be the most common (or natural) thing in the world (a Jaguar estate), but it’s a requirement in a class where all popular models come in load-lugging guise, as well.

There’s even more reason to believe they’re going to make it – its predecessor, the X-Type came as an estate too, so they’d be basically following tradition, just not in the usual Jaguar context…

Now check out the sole photo and imagine how nice it would look with the much cooler rear lights that Jaguar gives its F-Type sports car.

Scroll down and take a peek after the virtual jump!
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/10/thi...ake-might.html
Old 10-14-14, 04:05 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Jaguar XE SVR to challenge M3, C63 with supercharged V8 power

Jaguar has a healthy powertrain range lined up for its new XE, including an array of four-cylinder engines and a supercharged 3.0-liter six that will, for now, serve as the range-topping offering in the XE S. But Car and Driver claims to have it on good authority that an even more powerful eight-cylinder version is in the works, as well.

According to C/D, the XE's engine bay has been designed to accommodate the company's ubiquitous 5.0-liter V8 engine, which in the larger XF is offered in several states of tune, including the XF Supercharged with 470 horsepower, the XFR with 510 hp and the flagship XFR-S with 550 hp.

Just which version (or versions) would be offered in the XE remains to be seen, but even in its lowest-spec supercharged form, the 470-hp version would already be enough to challenge the 425-hp BMW M3 and the base 469-hp version of the new Mercedes-AMG C63. If Jaguar wants to take on the C63 S, however, it will need to shoehorn in one of the more powerful versions.

In the end, Coventry's new Special Vehicle Operations division may opt to offer two versions, like it does with the XFR and XFR-S. Expect the top version, however much muscle it packs, to wear the British automaker's new SVR badge. It just may take a few years before it does so.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/14/j...xe-svr-report/
Old 10-15-14, 09:17 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome the new kid to join the Super sedan race.
Old 10-15-14, 09:29 AM
Hoovey689

I'm somewhat surprised it'll be called SVR like the Range Rover and not XER like the XKR, XFR and XJR
Old 10-15-14, 06:52 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Shame you can't say more. Thanks for the background on the X-type though, so interesting seeing design proposals and hearing the behind the scenes drama.
And thank you so much for being a Jaguar owner, in spite of often unfair criticism and comparisons against us. The X350 XJ was pushed back unfortunately, so it starts from there.

These problems really go back to how, the 1999 X200 S-Type was the first 100% ground-up Jaguar under Ford ownership, and fully revolutionary offering since 1986. All of course, until the X350 later arrived in 2003. A retro design, which I will forever love (X350).

The entry-level 2001/MY02 X400 X-Type, with its styling finalised in 1998, similarly previewed the yet-to-come aluminium MY2004 X350 XJ. No way in hell could that happen again, so it is what is in this case . If you study those early X350 XJ proposals from 1997 again, one would think Geoff Lawson's team were trying to make a jumbo S-Type. The near-final, more upright article in 1999 and by the summer of 2000 (now under Ian Callum) thankfully fixed that.

Later on, the executive class/midsize 2008/MY09 X250 XF (2005 final approval) essentially previewed the flagship 2010/MY11 X351 XJ (Nov. 2006 concept). A big styling no-no in a luxury range. That is like the E-Class débuting a language instead of the S-Class (almost happened with W124/W140), or the GS over the LS.

In fact, Lexus has also been making that mistake TWICE...until now. Both the next XJ and LS will be all-around revolutionary for their respective brands, as against letting their smaller siblings debut a new design language for the core range. The LS facelift in 2012, avoided that thankfully, by adopting the spindle grille early.

That is also why back in 1995, the XJ-Series for late 1997/MY1998 (X308) was significantly rounded on the interior and parts of exterior, so as not to stand out from both the upcoming curvier 1996/MY97 X100 XK-Series (October 1992 approval) and X200 S-Type (autumn 1995 approval).

The original 1995 X300 XJ6 styling was frozen in January 1992 (approval in February 1991), at a time when both the curvaceous Aston Martin DB7 (Callum) and XK8 had yet to receive full approval, hence such major revisions in 1995 for the V8-powered 1998 XJ8. The new XE had to be inline with existing examples, for all of the reasons above.

There is plenty more to come in the future, that I cannot speak about. Only at the upper end will anything be significantly new in our styling, in the few years to come. One person in particular likes what he saw on that end and is quite giddy.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I think everyone will like XE in general... it is just that I personally expected a lot from a Jag (desgin) since rest of their lineup was stunning when just introduced.
Well thank you spwolf, I believe it will speak for itself in the marketplace. In person, it looks much better. I had my own "neutral" reservations when I first saw it in fibreglass last year, but find it satisfactory now in knowing what's behind that. You have to understand that, the X760 and X260 XF had to be evolutionary, as the timing wasn't fair in regards to the X360 XJ redesign. A 4-door F-type was out of the question for this.

Above, I explained that in great detail and how the previous XJ arriving too late complicated things until now. Ford was careless with that somewhat and muddling up the model range top-down. In regards to the XE, everything is not what it seems
Old 10-15-14, 10:56 PM
Hoovey689

Awesome information cmk1. And talk of revolutionary XJ and LS flagships is getting me excited.

About the XE, can't wait to see this on the streets. And waiting for this massive 3-Series, C-Class, A4, IS, Q50, XE, ATS, S60 comparo
Old 10-16-14, 06:17 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Awesome information cmk1. And talk of revolutionary XJ and LS flagships is getting me excited.

About the XE, can't wait to see this on the streets. And waiting for this massive 3-Series, C-Class, A4, IS, Q50, XE, ATS, S60 comparo
For some reasons, that's my favourite segment. Big, luxurious flagships. I must get that taste from my father. All of us will have to look out for the facelift W222 S-Class, 2017 Panamera, and the revolutionary D5 A8 in 2017. BMW's G11, has to contend with RR's Ghost stifling it more so than Bentley/Audi.

Who knows if MB may try to pull a "W140" (rushing a facelift on delayed model) with the W222 facelift and it comes out in late 2016 instead of 2017. Unlikely, due to Maybach and Pullman plans.

In some ways, the 3-Series will still be given a run for its money by the XE. My only concern like above, is what the F30 LCI will bring next year.
Old 12-30-14, 08:16 PM
Hoovey689

Default Jaguar XE to be built in China

After a six-year absence, the Jaguar XE will return that most English of automotive companies to the compact premium segment, the brand's first whole-hearted launch into that market. For certain Western markets it begins production at the Land Rover plant in Solihull early next year, but it will also continue the brand's venture in to China having been chosen as the first Jaguar to be built there, according to a report in Automotive News.

Jaguar-Land Rover owns a plant in Changshu, a joint venture with Chery Automobile, that started building the Range Rover Evoque this year and will add the Land Rover Discovery Sport. Previously, The Leaping Cat was selling cars built from kits at its factory in Pune, India. The brand figures to sell 20,000 cars in China next year, which would be less than a fifth of in-country sales for the JLR group, but the XE is the "spearhead vehicle" that "could make significant inroads" there, according to Jaguar. For comparison, Audi moved 120,450 A4s alone and BMW sold more than 100,000 3 Series models in China in 2013.

Globally, Jaguar is predicted to sell 80,000 units this year. By 2017, after the release of the XE, new XF and coming crossover, plus factory expansions in China, Brazil and Saudi Arabia, it hopes to get that number up to 200,000 units
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/29/j...e-built-china/
Old 01-27-15, 10:01 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We drive a late-stage prototype of the all-new Jaguar XE. Can it match the best from BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Audi?
Old 01-28-15, 05:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i just read preview fight between 3 and XE in Autobild... basically 3 has more space in the back, trunk and XE's interior looks nicer in real life pics from the mags. German reporters were happy to find advantages for 3 series but also said that it will be good fight... they did not get to drive and compare that yet since it was a prototype.
Old 01-28-15, 09:03 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

We finally get behind the wheel of the new Jaguar XE. Does it have what it takes to beat its German rivals?

The XE is Jaguar's rival for the likes of the Mercedes-Benz C Class, BMW 3 Series and Audi A4. Does it have what it takes? What Car? readers put it to the test.
Old 01-28-15, 09:22 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just lookin at the headlights and taillights you can tell to whom is Jaguar praying on :0
Old 01-28-15, 11:17 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting to me that even with all of the touting of weight saving technologies and aluminum, the US-spec XE is billed to be more than 3,800lbs.

The body shell is only ~500lbs... so that's 3,300lbs of "stuff."
Old 01-28-15, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Lots of very favorable auto press today.

From Car and Driver:

Then we hammered the XE over Portugal’s wandering two-lanes, connecting sun-bleached villages with a supercharged wail and a red blur. Behind the wheel, the pounds melt away in an effortless hustle that’s all precision and dexterity. Helped by adaptive dampers and brake-based torque vectoring, the XE S turns in quick, corners flat, and exits fast. A crease in the asphalt at the apex becomes a twitch in your palms, a flash of recognition in your brain, and a wiggle of your wrists, all without conscious thought. This is real, living, breathing steering feel, and the XE has it in spades. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry tears of joy, and you’ll marvel that this is Jaguar’s first use of electric power steering in a sedan. It is exceptional.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

From Motor Trend:

Of course great steering without suspension to match is pointless, and luckily the XE delivers. Again, color me impressed. A true, "proper" Jag needs to have the magical yet elusive combination of grace and pace. The XE S' ride quality is exemplary at normal speeds, and things stay smooth and relaxed up to 120 miles per hour. Then, crack the wheel and you're treated to about the best-handling small premium sports sedan there is. The only obvious competitor in terms of outright handling is the Cadillac ATS. But unlike the small Caddy, the XE isn't burdened by coarse engines or a dim-witted, inelegant transmission. Jag's much-improved infotainment solution is also worlds better than CUE, though still not as polished as MMI (Audi), iDrive (BMW), or COMAND (Mercedes). I look forward to getting those two — and the German competitors — together on a road somewhere down the line.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e_first_drive/

And from Autoweek:

The cabin is quiet at speed, the ride absorbent, and yet the XE is both involving and surefooted. The best driver’s car in the segment? We need a side-by-side drive to be sure, but there could be a new ultimate driving machine in town. It deserves to sell well. We wouldn’t try to talk a prospect down from the salesman’s office.
http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...xe-first-drive

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)