Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-14, 04:36 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Thanks, a bit of the insomniac right now. I realize I cannot really be objective nor even subjective regarding the XE, so I will entertain reading all of the various commentary on it. Speaking of "XEs", the original XE10 Altezza/IS may have been the first Lexus to were "spindle shape? The LS430 had remnants of it, but I notice it more on the XE10. I will open a separate thread on this.
Shame you can't say more. Thanks for the background on the X-type though, so interesting seeing design proposals and hearing the behind the scenes drama.
Old 09-12-14, 11:50 AM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe should have designation Y-XES
TEN SPACES
Old 09-12-14, 02:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Tesla has the S, upcoming X and the III

I'm sensing a trend in the automotive industry
Old 09-12-14, 04:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Thanks, a bit of the insomniac right now. I realize I cannot really be objective nor even subjective regarding the XE, so I will entertain reading all of the various commentary on it. Speaking of "XEs", the original XE10 Altezza/IS may have been the first Lexus to were "spindle shape? The LS430 had remnants of it, but I notice it more on the XE10. I will open a separate thread on this.
I think everyone will like XE in general... it is just that I personally expected a lot from a Jag (desgin) since rest of their lineup was stunning when just introduced.
Old 09-25-14, 10:05 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar XE to be offered with 163 HP & 180 HP 2.0-liter Ingenium diesel engine [video]

Billed as Jaguar's most efficient diesel engine ver

Jaguar has released additional details about the 4-cylinder 2.0-liter Ingenium turbodiesel engine inside the 2015 XE.

Billed as being "the most efficient Jaguar diesel ever", the newly developed aluminum-made Ingenium 4-cylinder 2.0-liter is a Euro 6-compliant motor benefiting from variable exhaust valve timing, selective catalytic reduction technology and a cooled low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system. The engine will be produced at a new 100,000m2 manufacturing center in the West Midlands in United Kingdom where Jaguar has invested £500 million.

In the XE it will be offered in two states of tune: 163 HP (120 kW) & 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) and 180 HP (132 kW) & 430 Nm (317 lb-ft), with the former allowing the baby Jaguar return 75 mpg UK (62.4 mpg US or 3.7 liters / 100 km) and emit only 99 g/km which will make it the company's most efficient model ever.

Besides the Ingenium diesel, the 2015 Jaguar XE will also be offered with 4-cylinder 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline engines and a beefier 3.0-liter V6 supercharged motor which will develop 340 HP (250 kW) and 450 Nm (331 lb-ft) in the hotter XE S.

Full details about the XE will be released on October 2 during the first press day of the Paris Motor Show.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11409258...80-hp-20-liter
Old 09-25-14, 04:19 PM
Hoovey689

62.4mpg US holy cow
Old 09-25-14, 04:54 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
62.4mpg US holy cow
Hmm. I'm pretty sure WorldCarFans did a straight conversion between Imperial gallons and US gallons. That doesn't work because the US fuel economy testing cycle results in much lower numbers.
Old 09-25-14, 06:48 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Hmm. I'm pretty sure WorldCarFans did a straight conversion between Imperial gallons and US gallons. That doesn't work because the US fuel economy testing cycle results in much lower numbers.
Makes sense. But then we'll never get a 163hp Jaguar diesel Stateside so no biggie
Old 09-25-14, 08:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
yeah... I hate it when they do that... it should get nice MPG in US, if ever released... 35mpg average likely on these small wheels.... It is similar or slightly better than latest BMW 2.0 diesel.
Old 09-25-14, 08:42 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

The UK really needs to change their system of measurement. Im not sure if its imperial gallons to US gallons conversion or if their testing is biased towards higher numbers (Im guessing the latter) because every time I read a UK car review, they say that the car doesn't live up to the "official" MPG numbers. The car's dash usually reads the US equivalent too
Old 09-25-14, 09:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
The UK really needs to change their system of measurement. Im not sure if its imperial gallons to US gallons conversion or if their testing is biased towards higher numbers (Im guessing the latter) because every time I read a UK car review, they say that the car doesn't live up to the "official" MPG numbers. The car's dash usually reads the US equivalent too
It is EU testing cycle called NEDC. Part of it were designed in 1970 and parts in 1990... it is more similar to old EPA cycle where you had lower speeds, lower acceleration, no A/C usage and things like that.

For instance, they apply acceleration of 0-45mph in 41s and 35-62mph in 35s. I cant imagine anyone ever driving that slow, they would be run off the road.

There is new procedure - Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedures - to be finalized by 2015, and is being done by UN, with Europe, Japan and India participating in development:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwi...est_Procedures

Of course, automakers are lobbying heavily against it:

Carmakers want the test’s implementation delayed until 2020, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer said when presenting the company’s 2013 financial results in March. The EU goal of introducing the test by 2017 is “incredibly ambitious,” Erik Jonnaert, ACEA secretary general, told Automotive News Europe. Jonnaert said automakers will pass on to car buyers the cost of implementing the test. Additional costs will vary depending on manufacturers and their own processes and vehicle types, he said.

The WLTP test reflects modern driving conditions better than the NEDC procedure that was introduced in the 1970s to measure smog-causing nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, with CO2 and fuel consumption tests added later. The technical and driving pattern assumptions made at the time are outdated today and emissions results from real-world driving may be 20 percent to 30 percent higher than results from the NEDC test, Exane BNP Paribas estimated in an April 7 report. Brussels-based environmental lobby group Transport & Environment says independent driving tests show that CO2 emissions and fuel consumption are an average of 23 percent higher than the official figures reported by carmakers. Automakers selling cars in Europe already face the challenge of reducing CO2 emissions to an industrywide average of 95 grams per kilometer by 2021 from about 130g/km now. They claim the new test will make the target harder to achieve.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...sions-headache

edit: even the new test has "efficient" driving tested... not just any driving, but efficient. And fastest cars accelerate 0-100kmh in 17.3s under this test... which is better than before but still really only applicable to people who drive very carefully... also top speed is now 130kmh instead of 120kmh.

Last edited by spwolf; 09-25-14 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689

Official Press

INGENIUM: THE WORLD-CLASS ENGINE TECHNOLOGIES POWERING THE NEW JAGUAR XE

- The four-cylinder Ingenium is the most efficient Jaguar diesel ever
163PS/380Nm and 180PS/430Nm variants deliver optimum balance of performance, fuel economy and refinement
- Selective catalytic reduction and cooled low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation cut NOx emissions and deliver Euro 6 compliance
- Variable exhaust valve timing enables rapid catalyst heating and robust particulate filter regeneration

Whitley, 25 September 2014 - With the new Ingenium diesel engines driving the rear wheels, the aluminium-intensive XE is the most fuel-efficient Jaguar yet, with CO2 emissions from just 99g/km.The Ingenium range is produced at the new £500 million, 100,000m2 Engine Manufacturing Centre in the West Midlands in the UK. Engines will come off the fully flexible lines at rates of up to one every 36 seconds.

Starting from a clean sheet meant that Jaguar's powertrain engineers could make the Ingenium engines as light and efficient as possible, and deliver the blend of power, torque and smoothness customers expect. These state-of-the-art engines were proven over 2 million miles of real-world testing.

"The new generation of Ingenium diesel engines are wholly designed and manufactured in-house. No opportunity has been missed in ensuring their design is right on the cutting edge of technical advancement."
Ron Lee, Group Chief Powertrain Engineer, Jaguar

The low friction, all-aluminium units have stiff cylinder blocks and twin balancer shafts to ensure inherently low levels of vibration. Details such as the acoustic sump cover, decoupled injectors, and 0.5mm ovality on the injection pump drive sprocket contribute to the Ingenium's exceptional quietness.

The new XE will feature two versions of the 2.0-litre Ingenium diesel. The first, rated at 163PS/380Nm, delivers benchmark efficiency figures of 75mpg and 99g/km CO2 without any compromise to launch performance or mid-range acceleration. The 180PS/430Nm variant has one of the highest torque outputs in the class.

Ingenium diesels meet Euro 6 are as clean as they are efficient. Variable exhaust valve timing shortens the catalyst light-off phase and also improves diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration. The cooled low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system reduces combustion chamber temperatures, inhibiting NOx formation. Selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology cuts NOx emissions to very low levels and the new XE has been engineered to meet the most stringent global regulations.

The Ingenium diesels will be joined at launch by powerful, efficient, direct-injection petrol engines: turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinders and the outstanding supercharged 3.0-litre V6.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/29/j...ideo-official/
Old 10-01-14, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689

Default Jaguar XE bares its claws in 74 images

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-...photo-2983068/
Old 10-02-14, 06:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking at even more photos, the design of this car is very bland. IS is far more dynamic and interesting to look at, C Class is much more elegant, ATS has a unique edge visually... this is very boring. Detailing is nice, but most of the angles and shapes are a decade old.
Old 10-02-14, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

"ingenium" - what "genius" came up with that name?

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)