Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-15, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

XE 35t at 340hp this is an S4 competitor
So all that's missing is a XE S 380hp version and an XE R
Old 09-03-15, 04:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Looks looks like a phenomenal deal. This undercuts the 340i by $4,000 on base price, has a better suspension, handling is better even though it weights 100 lbs more, the same transmission but better programming, a better warranty (5/60), and better included maintenance (also 5/60).

This might pressure the 340 / S4 / C450 to drop base price some amount.
fun fact, 3 series sales in the USA alone outsell complete Jaguar brand by some 40%. I have a feeling that base 320i will be far more interesting for your average shopper.

Still, i sure hope XE sells well... 3 year old Jags use so much value here in Europe that it is hard for me to imagine buying one new.

Both XE and XF look pretty good to me overall.
Old 09-03-15, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
fun fact, 3 series sales in the USA alone outsell complete Jaguar brand by some 40%. I have a feeling that base 320i will be far more interesting for your average shopper.

Still, i sure hope XE sells well... 3 year old Jags use so much value here in Europe that it is hard for me to imagine buying one new.

Lease option?
Old 09-04-15, 08:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lease option?
70%-80% luxury sales in europe go to fleet leases, so thats the same for everyone... but jag drops in price a lot, both because of reputation as well as big discounts.... 3 year old, XF's with low mileage are around 26k while GS's are 35k. MSRP for XF was probably bigger.

Certainly no better luxury deal than XF or one of LR's SUVs.
Old 09-04-15, 09:19 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf

OK, but 1) Jaguar has no 3 series competitor until this launches, and 2) people don't cross shop a 320i and a 335i/340i. I don't disagree with you but it's sort of a red herring. I'm talking about people that will buy a big motor.
Old 09-04-15, 10:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
OK, but 1) Jaguar has no 3 series competitor until this launches, and 2) people don't cross shop a 320i and a 335i/340i. I don't disagree with you but it's sort of a red herring. I'm talking about people that will buy a big motor.
i am also agreeing with you - if I was buying 340i, i would look into this most certainly... my point was that general population will buy 320i over this due to brand image, lease price, resale and other things.

I am just checking new XF prices and in Germany it is priced close to XE.. only 5k difference, with XF having 18% discount at wholesale retailers... before it is even released.
Old 12-10-15, 06:45 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Jaguar XE marks the British brand's return to the fiercely competitive compact executive saloon class. The last model it fielded here was the Ford Mondeo-based Jaguar X-Type, which didn’t exactly cover itself in glory. For this reason, and because this class is so important to Jaguar's future as a global carmaker, the XE has to better some very talented rivals. They include the formidable BMW 3 Series, the Audi A4 and the Mercedes C-Class.

All-new Audi A4 promises to be better than ever, but can it beat the Jag XE and BMW 3 Series?

Competition in the compact executive class is reaching fever pitch. Hot on the heels of the new Jaguar XE and facelifted BMW 3 Series comes the all-new Audi A4.

Based on the brand’s adaptable MLB architecture that has already been seen on the Q7 SUV, the newcomer promises to be lighter, faster, sharper to drive and more efficient than before. Plus, with Audi’s reputation for delivering hugely desirable interiors, the A4 claims to set new standards for quality and desirability...
Old 01-31-16, 10:23 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a chance to test drive the new XE at a Jaguar event and I am impressed with what Jaguar did with it. For some reason, I was driving the XE S (I don't think it will be offered in the US), but I was happy to try out the supercharged V6 version and not the turbo four/diesel. Jaguar did a great job on the handling (for a "big" car) and even the steering was good considering it was an EPS. No, the steering is not as good a comparable sports car/sedan from the 90's, but its a lot better than the vague steering found in current Audi and BMW offerings. Same with Lexus really.

Now some negatives, the interior looks clean and modern, but it does not feel as good as the top German interiors(Audi and MB). I guess it is comparable to a lower tier BMW and Lexus. Back seat space is "small." Like 2IS size. Might be important or not important.

Overall, I was very impressed with the XE. Pricing is good compared to the Germans and since Lexus does not offer a turbo V6 to counter at this time, I would seriously consider a new and under warranty XE if I was in the market.

And yes, I am in the market and I am hoping Lexus does offer something with a little more power than the current V6 in the IS 350 in the near future.
Old 02-01-16, 04:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We will indeed be getting the XE S here. Your review confirmed my suspicions- I really do think the back seat and "just OK" interior is going to hurt it. It feels like a slightly different story than the Cadillac ATS yet all too familiar at the same time.
Old 02-01-16, 07:12 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

I just built an XE on the jaguar Canada website and wow. 45k for the base car, doesn't even include heated FRONT seats.
Old 02-01-16, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZsoarer
I just built an XE on the jaguar Canada website and wow. 45k for the base car, doesn't even include heated FRONT seats.
that's because the $c is worth about $.2us right now. just had a bargain vaca in western canada.
Old 02-01-16, 05:10 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nicedude
I had a chance to test drive the new XE at a Jaguar event and I am impressed with what Jaguar did with it. For some reason, I was driving the XE S (I don't think it will be offered in the US), but I was happy to try out the supercharged V6 version and not the turbo four/diesel. Jaguar did a great job on the handling (for a "big" car) and even the steering was good considering it was an EPS. No, the steering is not as good a comparable sports car/sedan from the 90's, but its a lot better than the vague steering found in current Audi and BMW offerings. Same with Lexus really.

Now some negatives, the interior looks clean and modern, but it does not feel as good as the top German interiors(Audi and MB). I guess it is comparable to a lower tier BMW and Lexus. Back seat space is "small." Like 2IS size. Might be important or not important.

Overall, I was very impressed with the XE. Pricing is good compared to the Germans and since Lexus does not offer a turbo V6 to counter at this time, I would seriously consider a new and under warranty XE if I was in the market.

And yes, I am in the market and I am hoping Lexus does offer something with a little more power than the current V6 in the IS 350 in the near future.
i think you will be disappointed with the mpg figures if that matters to you
Old 02-02-16, 07:42 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's because the $c is worth about $.2us right now. just had a bargain vaca in western canada.
hahaha yeah don't worry, I know about that. Still makes you Wonder if it's going to sell in Canada.
Old 02-08-16, 01:44 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

I am thinking the XE S in Europe is just going to be the XE R-Sport in the US. Not sure if Jaguar will announce a full blown M3 challenger yet. That V8 from the F-Type would be great.

I agree that the XE might just be a British ATS, but I think it trumps the ATS in overall refinement. The ATS obviously has a weak infotainment system, small back seats, "premium" not luxury interior, but also its engine and transmission need to be more refined. Obviously, if you care more about the handling aspect, then the ATS has the slight edge.

The European bias will help the XE though. It always does. I don't expect big sales from the XE though.

I am already disappointed with the EPA figures on Lexus vehicles with turbos so I am not expecting a miracle from Jaguar. Although the supercharged V6 has been used in other Jaguar/Land Rover vehicles for awhile now.
Old 02-08-16, 06:30 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Superchargers typically don't "fake out" the EPA numbers like turbo motors do.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jaguar XE (priced from $35,895)