Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Old 02-09-16, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
^^
Does anyone ever buy these?
I see them on the road from time to time.
Old 02-09-16, 08:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

saw a new 7 on the road recently (white one, my least favorite color ) and it looked... AWESOME.

had plenty of 'presence' and made a statement to me.
Old 02-09-16, 09:18 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I see them on the road from time to time.
An Alpina 7? I live in Vancouver, home of the super rich and teenagers with exotic cars and I've never seen an Alpina 7er.
Old 02-09-16, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

An Alpina 7? I live in Vancouver, home of the super rich and teenagers with exotic cars and I've never seen an Alpina 7er.
guess your area isn't rich enough. i see them every now and then here too, rare enough to get my attention but often enough to not get me excited
Old 02-09-16, 09:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
guess your area isn't rich enough. i see them every now and then here too, rare enough to get my attention but often enough to not get me excited
No BMW ever get me excited, except the McLaren F1.

The new GRT V8i could be exciting, I want mine with a V10 though.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-09-16 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-09-16, 10:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Vancouver's super rich Chinese teenagers go straight to a RR Ghost, 7-Series is too ghetto for them.

Kidding aside (actually above statement is pretty true), I see Alpina 7 here and there too. I don't think is a matter of money, I feel is a matter of availability and desirability. Who want an Alpina 7?! It is an odd ball, most folks don't even know what an Alpina is, it is not a popular car.
Old 02-10-16, 04:35 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I see Alpinas from time to time. Never been a fan.
Old 02-10-16, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, Alpina 7s. I see them from time to time and I've seen them on pre owned lots here too.
Old 02-10-16, 08:06 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
This is one of the richest areas in North America.

New S65 AMGs are a dime a dozen, but never seen an Alpina. Yesterday within a one block radius downtown aside from the everyman Range Rovers, Model S, Porsche 911s, and S-classes I walked by two Mulsannes, a new R8, and a Lambo Aventador.

This is a normal thing to see.

Probably why I'm so jaded with regards to most luxury cars, when you see the new S-class all the time, it just ends up looking like what it is: a big boring black luxury passenger sedan. Then you come on the internet and people are treating it as if it's this beautiful magnificent car.

FWIW I've also seen the new 7er many times, it's awfully similar to the outgoing car where I had to double take the first few times. It too again looks like a big boring passenger sedan after the first half dozen times you see one.

None of these cars have a substantial wiff of specialness to them in this environment.

Oh and my most disappointing looking car based on internet expectations is the new S-class coupe, this thing just looks plain for a big luxury coupe. I can already imagine seeing a red LC500 on the same streets and it will destroy it in real world presence.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-10-16 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 08:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

This is one of the richest areas in North America.

New S65 AMGs are a dime a dozen, but never seen an Alpina. Yesterday within a one block radius downtown aside from the everyman Range Rovers, Model S, Porsche 911s, and S-classes I walked by two Mulsannes, a new R8, and a Lambo Aventador.

This is a normal thing to see.

Probably why I'm so jaded with regards to most luxury cars, when you see the new S-class all the time, it just ends up looking like what it is: a big boring black luxury passenger sedan. Then you come on the internet and people are treating it as if it's this beautiful magnificent car.

FWIW I've also seen the new 7er many times, it's awfully similar to the outgoing car where I had to double take the first few times. It too again looks like a big boring passenger sedan after the first half dozen times you see one.

None of these cars have a substantial wiff of specialness to them in this environment.

Oh and my most disappointing looking car based on internet expectations is the new S-class coupe, this thing just looks plain for a big luxury coupe. I can already imagine seeing a red LC500 on the same streets and it will destroy it in real world presence.
All this post told me is that you prefer flash instead of restrained designs that are the norm for large luxury cars. I don't think a good restrained design should automatically turn into a "big boring black sedan" anymore than if I only saw them rarely. A well designed car is a well designed car.
Old 02-10-16, 06:21 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
All this post told me is that you prefer flash instead of restrained designs that are the norm for large luxury cars. I don't think a good restrained design should automatically turn into a "big boring black sedan" anymore than if I only saw them rarely. A well designed car is a well designed car.
There is nothing special about the design of these cars, therefore I would not call them well designed, just safely designed.

Nothing wrong with safe if you're after mass appeal, but we're pushing $100k here.
Old 02-10-16, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So what sedan has "more appeal"?
Old 02-10-16, 06:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Cars like the S-class have always been pushing $100k. People buy them because of their restrained styling. Whether you think that makes a good design is pure opinion of course- which is why I don't understand why you're pushing your preference as a legitimate criticism.
Old 02-10-16, 06:49 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Cars like the S-class have always been pushing $100k. People buy them because of their restrained styling. Whether you think that makes a good design is pure opinion of course- which is why I don't understand why you're pushing your preference as a legitimate criticism.
I think people primarily buy them because of the image, because it's an S-class. Despite such a strong brand and nameplate, and even when designing a luxury coupe pushing $100k, MB is still afraid of alienating buyers with styling that has a bit more flair and creativity.

They are in the best opportunity/position to create something great, but are still afraid to because it may risk their precious precious volume.

And BMW has been pretty much rehashing the same themes Bangle left with the E90 3er, just softened up over the years for Chinese preferences.

These are very restrained companies and all I know is that I would not want to be working for either as a stylist.
Old 02-10-16, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, I think the S Class Coupe is one of the most beautiful cars I've seen in a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread