Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 04:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Almost every vehicle out there looks great with huge wheels and the "right" color combo. But facts is that 75% ( at least ) looks like this

Nothing wrong with that, but far far away from those "super camera + photoshop" pictures we often see.
MB S-class usually looks good in any color to me.
Old 12-15-15, 04:34 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Mr. Bond, you could've at least posted a pic of a US-spec S-class. You posted a short-wheelbase euro spec one with tiny wheels. MBUSA specs most of the base models like this:

Old 12-15-15, 05:30 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

As everyone knows, I come from a BMW and Mazda family through my maternal side. Grandfather used to be an importer in the 1970s through early 80s. Thus my mother has had a love affair since childhood and her first 7er was an E38 like this, bought by my dad for her 40th birthday in 2000. An '01 740iL Highline Sport.

I was able to get acquainted with the G11, first in Frankfurt at the IAA back in September and just the other day at Sytner. Just like with the Land Cruiser V8, which was discontinued in the UK (meaning our 2013 has no replacement), I am very infuriated with BMW for discontinuing the importation of the 750i/Li for the G11/12.

I looked at a 740Li and made comparisons to what one can get stateside. During a Thanksgiving visit to my parents a few weeks ago in TX, I made a very quick stop at their local BMW dealership. That is where I got a chance to look at and test drive my first G11, prior to going to Sytner more recently.

My recent visit to their dealer, who my parents have been doing business with since October 2000:

It is beyond irritating, that US DOT and etc. standards are so outdated, that one cannot get the BMW Laser Lights nor the Remote Parking feature, let alone many more options. My mother currently owns a 2009 750Li as her UK car (rarely used) and 2013 760Li 25 (in US) as her primary car, so naturally she wanted to replace the latter with another.

Day we took delivery of her current 2013 760Li at their local BMW dealer in December 2012.

Her '09 was traded in for a 650i Gran Coupe M Sport LCi recently, instead of a UK-spec G12 due to timing. Unfortunately, the G12 760i will not be out till next year or early 2017 in the US, so buying one now may not be sensible.

She attended a preview event in Houston, TX and fell in love with the car. She decided she'd get one next year. Despite that, my dad decided he wants to surprise her with one for X-mas or B-day, only being told by me there is no 760i available for the 2016 model year. He decided that a 750i will suffice, but neither is that available until February. Only 750i xDrive, as RWD models began production start-up in November 2015.

Unfortunately, my dad acted too late and never ordered one for a late December window. When he went to order a 2016 750i xDrive in Imperial Blue, he was told it would not arrive until February as well. They told him they had no 750i xDrive with his chosen build available by Christmas Eve nor my mother's birthday (3 days later).

What they did have, was one missing the Rear Entertainment Professional and Autobahn Package and a fully loaded 2016 740i (G12), both in Imperial Blue coming in by December 27-29. Weirdly, he settled for the 740i. Not that I have anything against inline-6s, but that is somewhat a downgrade from her 2013. I had expected that there would be at least more available 750s, not this dearth of already built examples.

He says that they will likely keep it for one year and then trade it in for G12 760i later on, that is if BMW bothers to reintroduce the V12. One hasn't really seen prototypes for that, but who knows. I just cannot wait to fly out there and play with that Gesture Control next week (that is if the car arrives on time).

This is an idea what we are working with.

What he originally wanted, but interior colour is not of interest as we prefer Cognac or Ivory. Cognac with Individual is not available until February-March 2016.

The non-Individual 750i xDrive he tried to order:

What I wanted:

What we're getting :

Unfortunately for me and my own aspirations (in vicarious leeching), the doctor will NOT truly get just what he ordered (or at least tried to), since G11 production is ridiculously slow and the dealer claims there are no 750is available.

This car has been in production since July 1, 2015, yet they are struggling to push them out. If I was millionaire, I would buy an S-Class, but then again I decided not to follow in his footsteps and chose my love for cars instead, which of course doesn't pay as well.

Cannot wait though to see it. I am counting down!

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That BMW concept was more a design exercise for the purported 9-series rather than the 7-series. The G11 7-series design was locked in before that concept even debuted, so backing down is an inaccurate assertion. CMK1 has gone into detail about design lead times and could shed more light on that.
Yep it was circa July 2012, final design freeze. If you study the development timeline and (if possible) speak with Nader Faghihzadeh, his first G11 clay model was built in 2011. A new concept will preview the Jaguar design language of the late 2010s, but the X360 is already final. I am breaking rules disclosing that, but I do greatly appreciate reading your commentary. For someone that doesn't work in this industry, you are extremely knowledgeable TangoRed.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It has a presence though that this new 7 doesn't have.
Yep, I agree unfortunately. My mother couldn't care less however...

This is one of the few times I agree with Mr. Burns. The S-class is beautiful in my eyes but still quite conservative. I'm giving the style award to the Jaguar XJ and Maserati Quattroporte.

http://o.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims...4-111031-1.jpg
http://media.dealerfire.com/websites...e.jpg?s=110133
Thanks TangoRed, I hope you'll like the next one too!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have not paid much attention to the new 7 series, but I just watched the video from CR and read the review from from Autoblog.

This thing is spectacular, glad to see BMW made the right decision to offer iDrive, gesture, and touchscreen.

Autoblog says their as tested price was $129,000 with the optional starlight roof similar to Rolls Royce.

The specs are awesome

I think the 7 Series and the S class have moved up one level, IMO they are more like a super flagship, closer to a Bentley than a classic flaship. Not sure if the A8 is in the same league.
Yes, the car is impressive. My father has pretty much indulged my mother's BMW obsession with personal disinterest towards BMW, but is astounded by what he was shown at his local dealer last weekend in the new G12. Joked back to me, that those of us at Jaguar have a lot ahead of us for the next few years. I am not worried however, as I'm confident the next XJ will eclipse the new 7-Series.

Well to be fair you need to wait for the A8's redesign. Early reports have mentioned it's going to be one hell of a car. Unfortunately its development program has suffered from a litany of delays...going to be interesting to see how the final product shakes up.
Yes, the D5 should've been out in mid-2016, but has been pushed back to early-mid 2017. The design on that was frozen by mid-2014, so 3 years should be very good time for production development. Unfortunately for Audi, my dad passed on the A8 facelift and bought his first Range Rover instead to replace his 2012 A8L W12.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The other side of the coin is that Bentley and Rolls are the ones falling behind. The S600 Maybach is a prime example. The former two are getting by via their pedigree, prestige and marque.

S-Class and 7-Series have played their cards, and the A8, LS and XJ will soon join the party. All of which are said to shake up the segment again.

This will be one comparison shootout for the ages
That is the unfortunate instance right there, at least regarding Bentley. Rolls-Royce need not worry, as their Phantom and Ghost replacements will surely jump many steps higher. This is going to be a serious renaissance for the three flagships you listed, especially the latter two.

I know that VAG has their own particular plans, but Jaguar and Lexus are very intent on making up for sleeping too long.

Like I said above, I went and looked at and sat in the new 7, I don't think it moves that notch higher like the S Class I agree does. It doesn't have that presence, and feels like a 7 series inside while the new S feels worlds better than the old S.

Once Audi and Lexus and Jaguar get to the party we will see how it fleshes out. That's one reason I got an LS now, I expect the new LS to be considerably more than I paid for mine, and LWB only.

In this class if $100k was what I could spend no way I would choose this new 7 over an S Class.
You made a wise decision honestly in getting your LS now, as I know for a fact the 5LS will not be available until at least July 2017. Shockingly far away, that my theory may seem far off, but a production date of May 2017 gives me that impression.

I prefer the W222 S-Class 10x over the G11 7-Series, but unlike you, I am not shopping in that category soon.

Fortunately for BMW, it would be heresy for my parents to buy an S-Class over a 7-Series for day-to-day personal use and not fleet purposes. The only Mercedes-Benz product bought by them (let alone allowed) is the Gelandewagen/G-Class, which explains why I briefly had a 2009 G55 AMG (he took it back after less than 3 years).

That was originally ordered for his brother, who apparently wanted a GL550. I showed him the S-Class as a replacement for his A8L W12 earlier this year, but he rejected it in feeling "S-Class is too common". Chose to pass the time in waiting for X360 XJ with Range Rover.

Originally Posted by BrownPride
A lot of S-class owners are praising the new 7-series. It definitely seems to be ahead of the S-class as far as tech goes. I prefer the S-class' flashier interior design. I'll be checking out the new 7er myself when my schedule opens up in a couple weeks.

It will be interesting to see how the market responds. The A8 is a nice car but it is incredibly boring to look at which is probably the main reason why it doesn't sell. Hopefully the next gen A8 will have more personality. The Lexus LS is at least 5 years behind the competition at this point. They haven't re-designed the LS in nearly 10 years. A couple of facelifts don't count, I still remember seeing the current LS at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show and it's barely changed. The doors are identical.
My dad had gotten a D4 A8 as a gift from my mother roughly 4 years ago, as apparently he was also somewhat an Audi fan. For his own reasons, he did not trade in his 2012 A8L W12 for a facelift A8. I directed him towards the S600, Flying Spur, Panamera, LS600hL, and Ghost. The only few of those he had any interest in, was the Flying Spur and Panamera.

He rejected the LS600hL, on the premise that "Is this car not the same generation that was introduced when you were in high school? I do not see the incentive in throwing away money on an outdated product, Lexus is not serious." The Flying Spur, was rejected by him over similar reasoning and my advice. In the end, he settled on a Range Rover.

My aunt who owned an LS600hL, essentially replaced it with an Equus Ultimate. While it was a gift from her husband, she felt that there was no point in upgrading to the same car and thus waited endlessly until something else swooped in.

Another aunt (LS owner since 1992) replaced her LS600hL with an S600, as she became tired of waiting for a new LS. Her first S-Class was a 1990 W126 420SEL, which a 1993 LS400 joined.

I provided those anecdotal examples, as Lexus has let themselves sleep too long and have not done a great job with product planning. I espouse similar complaints in my place of work, that I'm sure a few that work for Lexus in Nagoya and Torrance (now Plano?) have done similarly.

The 4LS/XF40, is a design (save for front and rear) that dates back to 2003. Toyota surely has CAD drawings from that time period, that have no business being in the "New" section of their dealers as a running production car, 12 years later. The 5LS better be knockout fantastic or they will live to regret it.

The LS needs a redesign no doubt but to say it's barely changed isn't true. Yes, the door panels are essentially the same but what you don't point out is that they are the only interior component that are essentially the same. They and maybe the headliner. Dash, console, seats, user interface, all are totally different. Outside the whole front and rear clips are different. They've kept it current as best they could without a redesign.

I'm sure this 7 will sell well, it just wouldn't get my attention over an S Class.
Okay, that might be true. I would say it was probably moderately redesigned on the same platform, but yet they couldn't bother with the center section? Not to mention, the rear infotainment (save for Blu-Ray) dates back to the first facelift late 2009/2010, if not the original from 2006.

For someone, that is not a car enthusiast like my dad (despite how he buys a lot of cars), he was able to notice how old the LS was and not an ideal proposition to replace his A8. Even my mother's friend went with a 2014 GS350 F Sport, over an LS460 F Sport. Claimed that the 2014 felt "more modern" by comparison and the LS was too cumbersome for her. That right there, was a head-scratcher.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
If the LS looks anything like this and takes cues from the LF-LC interior then it'll be a cut above.

https://lexusenthusiast.com/images/w...-in-silver.jpg
Not that I'm the best source for 100% accuracy on Lexus developments in Japan, but that is very much the LS. All the silly reports the past year kept talking about an LS reveal in Tokyo, but I knew since about June it WAS the 5LS not its entirety, but in advanced design (concept) form.

Shocking thing about the 5LS, it definitely has the second longest development programme ever at Lexus. Much of LF-FC related 5LS design is probably 2 years old already, even if barely due in 18 months. The car was a running prototype 14 months ago (in-house testing).

What the W140 S-Class did in the US (moving up class-wise) after its long running W126, this will be the 5LS in replacing the 4LS and also have universal appeal (unlike W140 Benz in Europe).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 12-15-15 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 08:06 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Not that I'm the best source for 100% accuracy on Lexus developments in Japan, but that is very much the LS. All the silly reports the past year kept talking about an LS reveal in Tokyo, but I knew since about June it WAS the 5LS not its entirety, but in advanced design (concept) form.

Shocking thing about the 5LS, it definitely has the second longest development programme ever at Lexus. Much of LF-FC related 5LS design is probably 2 years old already, even if barely due in 18 months. The car was a running prototype 14 months ago (in-house testing).

What the W140 S-Class did in the US (moving up class-wise) after its long running W126, this will be the 5LS in replacing the 4LS and also have universal appeal (unlike W140 Benz in Europe).
Do you know for sure if the upcoming LC coupe will be based on the next LS platform? If so would it provide a good indication of how the next LS will be?

We will get the LC much earlier than the 5LS.

Also I'm not sure if the LF-FC is a CALTY design and if the production version will be done by Lexus Japan, if so there is plenty of opportunity for the concept styling to be butchered when translating to production.
Old 12-15-15, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Okay, that might be true. I would say it was probably moderately redesigned on the same platform, but yet they couldn't bother with the center section? Not to mention, the rear infotainment (save for Blu-Ray) dates back to the first facelift late 2009/2010, if not the original from 2006.
What center section do you mean? The whole center stack was new in 2013 and was pretty significantly reworked with a large landscape screen with a controller vs a touchscreen, etc.

Infotainment in the rear carries over, but thats an option very rarely fitted to an LS.

Even my mother's friend went with a 2014 GS350 F Sport, over an LS460 F Sport. Claimed that the 2014 felt "more modern" by comparison and the LS was too cumbersome for her. That right there, was a head-scratcher.
Having had both, if she did that the car she was looking at was an agile, more nimble car. The GS doesn't feel any more modern than the LS, all the infotainment and interfaces are exactly the same.

I can definitely understand why someone would choose a GS over an LS, but that doesn't take away from the LS.
Old 12-16-15, 01:40 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Do you know for sure if the upcoming LC coupe will be based on the next LS platform? If so would it provide a good indication of how the next LS will be?

We will get the LC much earlier than the 5LS.

Also I'm not sure if the LF-FC is a CALTY design and if the production version will be done by Lexus Japan, if so there is plenty of opportunity for the concept styling to be butchered when translating to production.
The LC will introduce a new modular platform, so I'd wager that it will not be based on the LS, but very close to it. Judging by both the LF-LC and LF-FC concept interiors, one can see the similarities a bit. I really must say that the LS design has probably been a done deal, even before this concept was developed. I am shocked, but understand why so much lead time is needed. The car cannot be butchered, if the design was already developed, right?

The background in the photo gives the impression that it was taken at CALTY, but my research tells me LF-FC possibly is from ED2 in France.

What center section do you mean? The whole center stack was new in 2013 and was pretty significantly reworked with a large landscape screen with a controller vs a touchscreen, etc.

Infotainment in the rear carries over, but thats an option very rarely fitted to an LS.

Having had both, if she did that the car she was looking at was an agile, more nimble car. The GS doesn't feel any more modern than the LS, all the infotainment and interfaces are exactly the same.

I can definitely understand why someone would choose a GS over an LS, but that doesn't take away from the LS.
I figured this wouldn't make sense. By "centre section", I meant that the A to C pillar and doors were the same. At least with the 2016 LX, they changed the door handles. They did not even bother, on a car they will keep in the marketplace, relatively unchanged for 5 more years (2012-2017). Much of the family members I know that shop in this category, like to deck them out with such features. That kind of thing, such as outdated entertainment systems, turns them off. However, I am still really mystified they would leave Lexus anyway over that, unless they don't want to name the Spindle Grille as a reason.

As for my aunt, that's why I called that a head-scratcher. Unless she went to Wikipedia and found out which was newer, I have no idea what she meant by "more modern". Her previous daily drivers were a QX56 and an E550, so when I saw that GS, colour me shocked.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 12-16-15 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't at least change the door handles to the new design they have on all the other cars. That would have been a minor thing, would have involved redoing the door panel stamp, but they did that for the hood and the trunk. That would have gone a long way towards hiding that it was in fact basically the same car.

Did they redo the door handles on the 2016 LX? I didn't get that impression...

When you get up to the price point of a new LS600hL I agree with your family, I wouldn't buy one over the cars available at that price point. But when you're down where I am, my LS stickers for $79k with some options, and AWD, and a V8, that makes the car still a compelling value. When you factor in I actually paid under $70k for it it gets even more compelling. For that money you're in a pretty basic XJ or A8 with 6cyl power. The A8 is a compelling car, but Audi has terrible lease rates (you could lease an S550 for what it costs to lease an $80k A8), the XJ is beautiful IMHO but the interior is significantly behind and the infotainment borders on awful. When you look at what I paid, you can get an XJ for that money but not an A8.

So, I'd only buy an LS stickering say $90k or below. Over that I'd have a hard time with the other options.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-16-15 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 09:39 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I don't understand why they didn't at least change the door handles to the new design they have on all the other cars. That would have been a minor thing, would have involved redoing the door panel stamp, but they did that for the hood and the trunk. That would have gone a long way towards hiding that it was in fact basically the same car.

Did they redo the door handles on the 2016 LX? I didn't get that impression...

When you get up to the price point of a new LS600hL I agree with your family, I wouldn't buy one over the cars available at that price point. But when you're down where I am, my LS stickers for $79k with some options, and AWD, and a V8, that makes the car still a compelling value. When you factor in I actually paid under $70k for it it gets even more compelling. For that money you're in a pretty basic XJ or A8 with 6cyl power. The A8 is a compelling car, but Audi has terrible lease rates (you could lease an S550 for what it costs to lease an $80k A8), the XJ is beautiful IMHO but the interior is significantly behind and the infotainment borders on awful. When you look at what I paid, you can get an XJ for that money but not an A8.

So, I'd only buy an LS stickering say $90k or below. Over that I'd have a hard time with the other options.
Wow you paid under $70K for your LS? That makes it a lot more compelling. These days a loaded 535 runs for $75K.
Old 12-16-15, 09:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wow you paid under $70K for your LS? That makes it a lot more compelling. These days a loaded 535 runs for $75K.
Oh yeah. $10k off sticker is easily attainable.
Old 12-16-15, 09:58 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow haven't checked but I thought most LS460 is around 90k too
Old 12-16-15, 11:05 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a m sport 535 msrp for 85k
Old 12-16-15, 11:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow looks like they just phoned it in with the ext redesign. Change the headlights, tail lights and have someone sit and flatten it out. Interior looks overdone but that's just my preference. Overall the exterior is pretty boring. I wouldnt have noticed that it was a brand new redesign unless I saw both old and new side by side. Hope the next LS does better.
Old 12-16-15, 12:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That is the unfortunate instance right there, at least regarding Bentley. Rolls-Royce need not worry, as their Phantom and Ghost replacements will surely jump many steps higher. This is going to be a serious renaissance for the three flagships you listed, especially the latter two.

I know that VAG has their own particular plans, but Jaguar and Lexus are very intent on making up for sleeping too long.
Yeah, I'm very stoked to see what each comes up with.
Old 12-16-15, 09:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Wow haven't checked but I thought most LS460 is around 90k too
no way, that's mostly lwb stories
Old 12-17-15, 07:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ok folks, this thread is about the newest 7 series... perhaps the discussions of ls pricing, the lc concept pictures, etc. can go to other threads. thanks.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread