Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 08:17 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The 6 Gran Coupe is probably the best looking BMW ever, next to the old 8 series. This thing, on the other hand, just smacks of lazy design and looks like a giant 3 series. I'm surprised the same designer did both cars because this 7 looks completely unattractive. If I had the money I'd go for a Benz S class or a Maserati Quattroporte or even a Panamera.
Old 06-11-15, 09:32 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See the designers of the new BMW 7 Series drawing the beautiful limousine. A fascinating video on how the design of a car works.

Comparing design evolution of the BMW 7 series since 1977 till today.

The M Sport Package is usually the most exciting option one can order for a BMW. M-specific details also underline the sporting character of the new BMW 7 Series in the interior. These include the BMW Individual headliner in Anthracite and the M driver’s footrest, as well as comfort seats in Dakota leather with M-specific piping, the optional Ambient light and Fineline black fine wood interior trim strips with high-gloss metal effect.

The M Sport Package is usually the most exciting option one can order for a BMW. And the one available for the new 7 Series makes no exception. Today, BMW unveiled the first photos of a 750i model featuring the aggressive M Sport Pack.

This option includes an M aerodynamic package comprising model-specific front/rear aprons and side skirts, plus 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in twin-spoke design, matte black painted brake callipers, illuminated door sill plates bearing the M logo and accents in either light or dark chrome.
Old 06-11-15, 09:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Except for the center console, I like this interior
These new techs are vey cool, although some are gimmicky like Vladi mentioned.

Originally Posted by cmk1

I have mentioned a number of times that the design of the new G11/12 was frozen in 2012, particularly around this time of year back then. Designer Nader Faghihzadeh's own work was mostly done in 2011 and the final article in production form, final by the summer of 2012. The Vision Future Luxury Concept came AFTER it was well was done with.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know the F.L. Concept came AFTER the production form.

If they had already had a production form, then why bother with this concept, unless it's for a coupe
or were they going to use it for something else?

Originally Posted by evident
not my words, someone from jalopnik said looks like someone glued a hockey stick to the side of the car lol
I actually like that hockey stick and I'm not even a hockey fan
Old 06-11-15, 10:43 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

customizable middle finger gesture?

is a must for bmw
Old 06-11-15, 10:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
The 6 Gran Coupe is probably the best looking BMW ever, next to the old 8 series. This thing, on the other hand, just smacks of lazy design and looks like a giant 3 series. I'm surprised the same designer did both cars because this 7 looks completely unattractive. If I had the money I'd go for a Benz S class or a Maserati Quattroporte or even a Panamera.
Agree about the 6 series grand coupe ,
... maybe they should make an 8 series grand coupe too ?
The new upcoming Panamera should be quite attractive, with a new butt ......
Old 06-11-15, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Gallery:
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/06/the...es-in-157.html

--

I rather like this in white.

Doesn't have the 'presence' (in pictures at least) that the S-Class does, but it shows how much more athletic it is than the outgoing model. Cannot wait for the next LS and XJ 0.o
Old 06-11-15, 05:30 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thanks for the information. I didn't know the F.L. Concept came AFTER the production form.

If they had already had a production form, then why bother with this concept, unless it's for a coupe
or were they going to use it for something else?
You're welcome, as it's all for marketing. Just pure marketing expertise. I would honestly call BMW, the Ultimate Marketing Machine. BMW has a habit of doing this with concepts, as well as Lexus at times and other automakers.

With the LF-CC, instead of just outright previewing the incoming RC back in 2012, Lexus chose to preview both the 3IS and RC in one concept. By September 2012, both production designs were already done (especially 3IS).

BMW's 1999 Z9 GT was drawn up that year to preview the incoming finalised E65 7-Series (due in late 2001), but caught the eye of Bangle and BMW management, becoming the E63 6-Series (late 2003 intro). The 2007 CS concept, designed by Karim Habib in 2006, was meant to preview a potential 8-Series and elements of the F01 7-Series production design (also designed by Habib in 2005).

The 8-Series got cancelled due to the economic crash. Between 2008-2009, BMW rapidly turned Faghihzadeh's 6-Series 2-door (F12) into the F06 Gran Coupe within one year. It is possible the F06 model code was originally for the proposed 8-Series 4-door coupe, planned for 2011 launch.

By the end of 2011, Nader Faghihzadeh's G11 proposal had won BMW's internal design competition and the car had final sign-off in 2012. After that, the Gran Lusso was developed in 2012 (second half) with Pininfarina and later studied by product planners as a possible 2-door 8-Series above the G11. It was rejected.

The Vision Future Luxury was developed from 2013, to preview the G11 7-Series, X7 SAV, and other incoming BMWs. It was considered as a model between the G11/12 as the 9-Series (Mercedes-Maybach X222 competitor) and Rolls Royce Ghost , but it may not be in the cards anymore. A lot of proposed BMW models above the 7-Series keep being cancelled, due to being perceived seen as a bad business case by the executive management and shareholders.

Bangle overseeing E65 1:1 Design - 1999

1999 Z9 GT

1999 Z9 GT

E63 Clay Model - Summer 2000

E65 Press Shot - 2001

E63 Press Shot - 2003

Karim Habib w/F01 Clay - 2005

Bangle, Habib w/CS Concept Clay- 2006

CS Concept - 2007

F01 Press Shot - 2008

Faghihzadeh w/F06 Gran Coupe Clay - 2009

Faghihzadeh w/G11 Tape Drawing - 2011

F06 Press Shot - 2011

Vision Future Luxury Design Process - 2013

VFL Concept Press Shot - 2014

G12 Press Shot - 2015
Old 06-11-15, 06:10 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Glad to hear the V12 will continue to be a halo, albeit a rare one

Some great info @cmk1
You're welcome Hoovey, as I still have my displeasure with the Jaguar V12 having been gone for 18 years... One will see G12 prototypes for that in late 2015-early 2016.

Originally Posted by Motor
It's too bad that for some of them, that they decided to the use the LCi versions (E32: 1992-94, E38: 1998-2000, and F02: 2012-2015), except the ugly pre-LCi E66 760i. The facelift E66 (2005-2008) looked eons better than the 2001-2005 version.

That first generation 733i is an original 1977-1980 , but the second generation is a very late example (early 90s) of the E32 750i with rare M-Sport trim. I guess it makes it look more timeless, as against a 1986 example.

Originally Posted by pman6
hahaha

THE NEW TOUCH SCREEN

such silliness.

The germans didn't have touchscreens for a while, and then Lexus stupidly got rid of their touchscreens.

Now BMW adds touchscreen, so I expect Lexus will one day bring it back again.

Overall, car looks meh. S class still king. 7 just doesn't have the premium look. Looks much better than that ugly A8, but still a good distance behind S class.

That face. Audi and BMW big brothers have the ugliest faces in the family.
The new 7er has taken more a minimalist approach to luxury, than ostentation like the S-Class. BMW only has a little more than a year, before the next A8 (D5) arrives and our next XJ at 2 years. That car's development programme is turning up the heat at Audi and rated very well by those that have seen it. It's Marc Lichte's first Audi. If the MLB platform works for it very well, BMW might be in trouble.

Lexus on the other hand, is either content with the minimal level of changes with this 7er as competition or could easily be scrambling to make changes/additions to the upcoming LS. The current W222 S-Class has been their primary benchmark, in being contemporary enough and accessible for purchase in Nagoya.

The 2007 LS was criticized for the "outdated" dash design and having a touchscreen, unlike the new W221 S-Class' COMAND system and the BMW 7 iDrive back then. Was still a hot seller, until the economic collapse. Lexus of course kept the "outdated" dash design until the facelift in 2012 with the 12.2 screen and Remote Touch.

It is likely a touchscreen option has not been in the cards for the next LS, but at the same time, if I knew last year that BMW would introduce that in the G11, Lexus certainly did too (they work with BMW to a degree). Hopefully they took advantage of good development lead time for their own solution and have implemented that for a MY2017 launch. If not, save it for mid-year 2017 or MY2018.

The technology aspect is where flagships shine and is one area I am constantly busy with at work to a degree.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 06-15-15 at 05:04 PM. Reason: E23 is an original 1977-1980 version, sorry.
Old 06-11-15, 06:49 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Cmk1, do you work at BMW or something? Your timeline info and product development pix are amazing. I've always respected Bangle's designs for melding sharp lines with outrageous curves and showing the way for future designs by BMW and Mercedes. The Bangle 6 may have been controversial but it led the way for the current 6 and G11 while still having elements of the original sharknose 6. As for the cancelled 8, it doesn't make sense when BMW already has the i8 as its flagship coupe.

All this makes the new 7 all the more disappointing . The car might be a lot lighter thanks to composite materials and it comes with cool new interior tech but the boring exterior and interior design let it down. Maybe that's how typical 7 buyers want it.
Old 06-11-15, 07:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, huge difference between the concept and production car. Nice looking but a major yawn that will blend in with the current 7 series.
Old 06-11-15, 08:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm sure new 7 will drive like a dream, but a big yawn on the styling in/out.
Old 06-11-15, 09:06 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are they going to go from the sleek Vision Future concept to that? They are totally unrelated and from completely different evolutionary lines.
Old 06-12-15, 09:13 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We explore the technological showcase that is the new BMW 7 Series and highlight its seven key features...
Old 06-14-15, 08:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I'm sure new 7 will drive like a dream, but a big yawn on the styling in/out.
I totlly feel the same. Also think all the tech in it will be problematic. Anyone hear about the battery issue on the 7? New battery at every oil change. No thanks . LS or Panamera and even the Panamera a friend owned had to be in the shop for 5 weeks for engine issues. Looks like another LS for me after my ISfF
Old 06-15-15, 05:34 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I totlly feel the same. Also think all the tech in it will be problematic. Anyone hear about the battery issue on the 7? New battery at every oil change. No thanks . LS or Panamera and even the Panamera a friend owned had to be in the shop for 5 weeks for engine issues. Looks like another LS for me after my ISfF
The issue only affected pre-facelift F01 7-series and it was not a battery issue as much as programming problem. Essentially to hit its published fuel economy targets the alternator can only be running part time, which unfortunately is not enough to charge the battery in a sustainable fashion. Crappy for the owners regardless and completely unacceptable.

That being said, I like this car (M-sport form only) even though it doesn't push the styling envelope.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread