Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Lexus LS debuts in 2007, gets MCE for 2013, next gen prototypes nowhere to be found. BMW 7 series debuts in 2009, gets MCE for 2012, next gen prototypes spotted. WTH is Lexus doing these days I wonder because they're really slow.
Lexus is always pretty good at keeping new things under wraps
Old 03-26-13, 04:39 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus LS debuts in 2007, gets MCE for 2013, next gen prototypes nowhere to be found. BMW 7 series debuts in 2009, gets MCE for 2012, next gen prototypes spotted. WTH is Lexus doing these days I wonder because they're really slow.
The 5th generation LS was the reason I even joined Club Lexus, so it was very disheartening to

see the end results of it being a second facelift after 6.5 years. I trust that Toyoda axed the

finished product about 2 -3 years ago and went with the facelift instead.

Four years of development(c.2008-2012) probably wasn't sufficient enough(plus timing of new

models), so Lexus has instead invested 5-6 years. BMW possibly has this scheduled for late

2014 according to insiders and any clues pertaining to the next LS will come in 6-9 months.

One should also remember that German automakers test prototypes much earlier and more

publicly than Japanese automakers, who do so in secret at HQ or company-owned facilities,

domestically, or in rural areas of the Middle East(4x4s). If we do see the LS prototypes running,

they will likely be LHD FEP cars(6-9 months in advance of production).
Old 03-26-13, 04:47 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real question pertaining to the 4.5-5LS is how long will it be here before the next, real, full redesign emerges.

Hopefully not too long.
Old 03-26-13, 04:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by spwolf
well since you didnt see any prototypes, maybe Lexus ceased development on all future models :-)
That's the thing, as German automakers use real-world testing as a form of publicity. Not only

that, their development cycles are much more public than the Japanese that test only at

company facilities. I have a theory that mules or even early prototypes of the 5LS are testing in

secret at Lexus HQ in Japan, BUT will not be seen outside of such settings(i.e. public) until next

year.

Even so, many photographers and locals in Japan fail to photograph any Lexus

prototypes spotted in public, so that is another reason why have to wait until they are tested in

Europe or North America during late development stages.

Originally Posted by trexlexus
The real question pertaining to the 4.5-5LS is how long will it be here before the next, real, full redesign emerges.

Hopefully not too long.
I like your question A LOT, as I do wonder when it will bow out and hope it can't disappear out of

showrooms soon enough. I am praying that production ends in the summer of 2014, a full 2

years. Hopefully that means a new LS will be revealed early next year as a concept or production

model to commemorate 25 years of the LS.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 03-26-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 04:49 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

LOL did you just seriously ask that?

No offense, but you've been around the forums long enough, and you *seem* to have enough general automotive knowledge that you should know Toyota is VERY secretive about its future models.

BMW and Mercedes love to show off their future models in testing quite openly; that and they don't have super strict security.

Sometimes Toyota *on purpose* will leak out certain models.

But if it's an important model that's top secret, then Toyota WILL keep it top secret. They will test only in top secret locations where photographers cannot get to the models.

Toyota also employs, arguably, the most clever variety of camouflage out of any automaker out there.

Originally Posted by cmk1
The 5th generation LS was the reason I even joined Club Lexus, so it was very disheartening to

see the end results of it being a second facelift after 6.5 years. I trust that Toyoda axed the

finished product about 2 -3 years ago and went with the facelift instead.

Four years of development(c.2008-2012) probably wasn't sufficient enough(plus timing of new

models), so Lexus has instead invested 5-6 years. BMW possibly has this scheduled for late

2014 according to insiders and any clues pertaining to the next LS will come in 6-9 months.

One should also remember that German automakers test prototypes much earlier and more

publicly than Japanese automakers, who do so in secret at HQ or company-owned facilities,

domestically, or in rural areas of the Middle East(4x4s). If we do see the LS prototypes running,

they will likely be LHD FEP cars(6-9 months in advance of production).
You said something quite silly, then somewhat contradicted yourself . Very confusing post there.

No, Toyota did NOT cancel the LS and "go with the refresh instead". You don't know how Toyota operates if you actually believe that.

It's quite simple; the LS like all future Toyota models was slightly delayed just to ensure quality and reliability would be top notch. The new LS is also going to use a lot of new technologies, and they are taking their time developing the LS to make sure it truly is a FLAGSHIP.
Old 03-26-13, 05:16 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
LOL did you just seriously ask that?

No offense, but you've been around the forums long enough, and you *seem* to have enough general automotive knowledge that you should know Toyota is VERY secretive about its future models.

BMW and Mercedes love to show off their future models in testing quite openly; that and they don't have super strict security.

Sometimes Toyota *on purpose* will leak out certain models.

But if it's an important model that's top secret, then Toyota WILL keep it top secret. They will test only in top secret locations where photographers cannot get to the models.

Toyota also employs, arguably, the most clever variety of camouflage out of any automaker out there.

You said something quite silly, then somewhat contradicted yourself . Very confusing post there.

No, Toyota did NOT cancel the LS and "go with the refresh instead". You don't know how Toyota operates if you actually believe that.

It's quite simple; the LS like all future Toyota models was slightly delayed just to ensure quality and reliability would be top notch. The new LS is also going to use a lot of new technologies, and they are taking their time developing the LS to make sure it truly is a FLAGSHIP.
Yes, I probably did contradict myself, but I have my reasons for that. I tend to take a while to type responses out, that it later seems as if different sentences were composed days apart. It's a big mystery to me, as I'm sure Akio Toyoda(and his passionate determination) taking office in 2009 has something to do with the delays. Someone named James who knew about the facelift in late 2011, stated that it was a last minute plan and incorrectly assumed it was due to the natural disasters in March 2011. No one believed him until July.

This may be off-topic, but the current generation started development in 2001, which was only months after XF30 LS430 went on sale in 2000. By early 2006, it had the engineering sign-off. That's about 4-5 years, which wouldn't suffice for next gen. development between circa 2007/08 and 2012. Five and half to 6 years of development seems better to them.

The wait is a big, bitter pill to swallow, as vehicles like the Lexus LX and LS are to me what is one's best last resort to reliable and luxurious transport worldwide and the latter is overdue. I don't even want to hear 2015-2016 as a "launch" date, unless it's early 2015 on sale.
Old 04-04-13, 11:35 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

From Motor Authority:

These are the latest spy shots of prototypes for the 2016 BMW 7-Series, the next generation of the German automaker’s flagship sedan due in late 2015 or early the following year.

So far it appears BMW is taking an evolutionary approach with the styling of its next 7-Series, code-named the G11, but being this early into the development means many elements will likely change.

In fact, the rear bumper and some of the body panels are borrowed from the current 7-Series.

The trunk lid looks to be different and up front the hood and grille appear to sit lower. The heavy camouflage gear around the C-pillar is also likely to be hiding a revised version of BMW’s signature Hofmeister kink.

While the exterior doesn’t depart dramatically from the look of the current model, the platform underpinning the car will be heavily updated.

BMW is revolutionizing the way it builds its cars in an effort to converge with increasing environmental consciousness, as well as ever-tightening emissions regulations coming into action across the globe. This means lighter construction, more fuel-efficient engines and some never-before-seen EfficientDynamics technologies such as thermoelectric devices for its future cars.

Lightweight construction
Using construction techniques learned from developing the new i3 and i8 electrified vehicles, the structure of the 2016 BMW 7-Series is likely to incorporate a mix of materials, with carbon fiber used in addition to conventional aluminum and steel. Weight savings could total between 300 and 400 pounds over the current model, which weighs close to 4,400 pounds in some guises.

Expect to see lightweight carbon fiber panels used for the roof, hood, and trunk lid. The lighter weight should not only improve economy, but also the handling, braking performance and acceleration.

Standard powertrain options will likely include six-, eight- and twelve-cylinder options, all with direct-injection and turbocharging technologies. Though there have been reports that a V-12 may not be included this time around, this is unlikely given the popularity of past V-12 models and the fuel-saving improvements coming in the future.

The 2016 BMW 7-Series will also see the introduction of a plug-in hybrid model, possibly developed with technology borrowed from Toyota. For performance fans, expect a new M Performance model fitted with a twin-turbocharged V-8. It appears the M Division isn’t interested in using a full-size sedan for one of its dedicated M cars--and rightly so.

Advanced technology
As for technology, expect a myriad of traffic warning systems and convenience features such as self parking and even some autonomous driving capability. BMW only recently announced a partnership with automotive technology supplier Continental to further develop its autonomous car technology, which should debut on its 2016 7-Series.

You can also expect the latest in connectivity, which BMW has partnered with Harman to develop. The new 7-Series should offer full WiFi capability, downloadable apps, 3D maps with real-time traffic and weather updates, and increased voice activation. You can see a preview of some of BMW's current connectivity technology grouped under its ConnectDrive umbrella by clicking here.

Stay tuned for updates as development of the 2016 BMW 7-Series continues.
Despite what is read here, the G11 is NOT due in late 2015 or early 2016. The F01 will end production early in 2014, therefore G11 production will start in late 2014-2015.

Old 04-04-13, 12:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

looks ridiculously long. if it's basically a limo now, i don't get it. what's the point of a car that long being so 'low'? luxury doesn't mean bending down uncomfortably to get into a low car... or causing a wardrobe malfunction like anne hathaway...

would much rather have an suv like an lx570, cayenne or rr.
Old 04-04-13, 12:38 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

None of those will give you the same amount of legroom. And I doubt this model is much longer than the previous one, if at all.
Old 04-04-13, 01:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We've got some serious competition with the new 7 and S coming very soon. Wonder which one will reign supreme this time?
Old 04-04-13, 07:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
None of those will give you the same amount of legroom. And I doubt this model is much longer than the previous one, if at all.
yes, rear legroom is huge on a lwb sedan, but on an suv you sit more upright, so not totally comparable.
Old 04-13-15, 03:41 PM
zema
Driver

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2015/04/thi...lf-analog.html
Old 04-13-15, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The gauges look nice.
Old 04-13-15, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It has that squashed trunk/taillight look like the 6 series.
Old 04-13-15, 07:57 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that trunk lid is so flat and high.

I don't like how the whole headlight joins into the grille. makes it look chunky

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread