Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW or Mercedes - 10K budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 03:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

That was the dark period for Mercedes, when cost cutting destroyed their previously fantastic reliability. With a budget of $10k, I'm guessing you're not going to have several grand set aside for the inevitable major repair. They've much improved in the past decade, but the more reliable models won't be in your price range. I'd steer clear.
Old 02-24-13, 05:12 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree that Bimmerfest would be a good place for the OP to do additional careful research -- that's one of the forums I used to frequent quite often. I'm sorry he's having issues with his RX -- I've had three continuously since 1999 and never had better reliability. My BMW experience (2009 335i) was my horror -- new car special ordered; multiple turbo and related engine failures causing the vehicle to go into limp mode once while I was on a long road trip more than 100 miles from any BMW dealer (so you can imagine my frustration getting home), leaks in the roof that I was told were "just the way a convertible is", and poor customer service on top of that from two different dealers I tried working with post sales. I took a huge loss and sold that great riding vehicle just 2 years after purchase because of my lack of confidence to go too far away from home. OP, my advice is, be sure you know what you're getting into and carefully research your decision before you jump ship -- I did in a fit of rage, and will always regret my decision. I know you're talking about different cars and different situations, so I hope whatever you do ends up being good for you.
Old 02-24-13, 06:20 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you don't need the extra space I'm selling a 2000 BMW 323iT Sport Wagon. I have overhauled just about everything. Only have a few more things left to do so it will be trouble free for quite some time.

I picked it up as a spare car/grocery getter and given its age its a fun car to drive. Your welcome to come see/drive in person even if you just want to rule this out of your decisions.

I had a new 540i back in 99 and the car was a blast but I did have it new and only had it for a short period, I dumped my cars quickly in the past, but I never had any issues. Had an M3 prior to that also with no issues.

Don't be afraid of them being older just make sure you get a car that has been taken care of. I searched for months for the one I got.
Old 02-24-13, 06:37 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of the BMWS, which one should I get?
Old 02-24-13, 06:39 AM
MnM24
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how old is the rx and i think you're mad to consider such old bmw's!
The RX is '99
Old 02-24-13, 07:09 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by Aron9000
BMW, the E46 3 series is a great car for the $$$$$. For $10,000 you should be able to find a NICE, maintained example. Just make sure it hasn't overheated and expect to replace the water pump, radiator, and some supsension bushings and possibly shocks if its got over 80,000 miles on it. The E39 5 series is also a great buy if you stick with the six cylinder version. Similar problems as the 3 series, if you buy the v8 there is a whole nother page of stuff that could go wrong with it. The Z3 roadster is also a great buy right now.
Agree with this!

If you crave something offbeat and visually polarizing*, the Z3 Coupe is an engaging vehicle with hatchback storage for practicality. Might be hard-pressed to stay rigidly under $10K......

Above pic is the "M" variety - pic chosen to accentuate the lines. Standard engine is more cost effective.

*You'll either love or loathe the look!

Last edited by Fly4u; 02-24-13 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 07:18 AM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

If you are considering moving to BMW because things are breaking and you are tired of getting them fixed then I would offer that BMW is probably not the best choice.

Unlike the Japanese brands that employ an engineering philosophy around quality and reliablity, the german automakers focus on performance. BMW will connect you with the road like no other car that I have driven. With that being said, if I hadn't learned to perform most of my own maintenance, my kids wouldn't be going to college, my 401k & HSA would be barren and my trailer would need fixed up.

If you do go BMW I would highly suggest purchasing one with their bulletproof inline -6 engine. It will outlast the car if properly maintained. The one weak point is the cooling system which is made of mostly plastic parts. But if you change your t-stat, waterpump, coolant overflow tank, etc. every 80-100k miles you should be good. Changing fluids in general with BMW is important. Oil changes wont be any easier as the filter is located directy on top of the engine bay. You should be able to do a full syth oil change for $50 with a mann/mahle filter. Also watch out for Vanos issues which used seals that don't always hold up well to the sythetic oil and heat. This is easily remedied with a replacement unit from dr. vanos.

I would disagree with the comment above suggesting that you would be mad to consider an older BMW. Per BertL's experience, the newer models have significant reliability issues. I personally wouldn't own one 2006 or newer. I have tried the newer models, and went back to E36's and E46's to alleviate the bleed-my-wallet effect.

If you are definitely headed towards BMW, I would recommend considering a lower mileage, well-maintained 2004-05 330i. One with the ZHP performance package will up the driving pleasure even more. The interior room on an E39 540 and E46 325/330 is not that different. Beware of some stock ZKW xenon lights that get too hot for the reflector plate, essentially melting it and causing a safety issue. I think this affected the ZHP's more than the other models. Replacement headlamps aren't cheap.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Psychocndy; 02-24-13 at 07:43 AM. Reason: grammatical typo correction
Old 02-24-13, 07:20 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

If you had to pick between the 2, take BMW. Mercedes was really bad during that time period. Make sure to keep a huge stack of cash for repairs. German cars are known for having issues. IMHO I would take Lexus, they are reliable and they can go up to 300k if you take good care of them.
Old 02-24-13, 07:21 AM
LovezLexus
Driver

Also what is wrong with the Rx? $2000 seems cheap, unless the car has like 250k miles.
Old 02-24-13, 07:31 AM
Psychocndy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Stay away from Mercedes IMO if you want something newer for $10,000. That puts you in the late 90's/early 2000's, their quality was garbage IMO during that time period.

BMW, the E46 3 series is a great car for the $$$$$. For $10,000 you should be able to find a NICE, maintained example. Just make sure it hasn't overheated and expect to replace the water pump, radiator, and some supsension bushings and possibly shocks if its got over 80,000 miles on it. The E39 5 series is also a great buy if you stick with the six cylinder version. Similar problems as the 3 series, if you buy the v8 there is a whole nother page of stuff that could go wrong with it. The Z3 roadster is also a great buy right now.
I agree with this feedback, but would add that for under $10k you could find a really clean low-mileage E36, which is a great car that will connect you to the road with it's hydraulic steering and near 50/50 weight distribution. You can even find well-maintained M3's in this price range.

If you need less performance, lower insurance costs and slightly improved reliability, look for a low mileage 328 (sedan/coupe/vert). The M52 engine is solid with good HP and torque and is equipped with a timing chain instead of a belt. Beware of some OEM water pumps with plastic impellers, but I would guess that most of these have been changed out unless you get one with ultra-low miles. Also beware of some additional maintenance that can occur as a result of the vert tops if you go that route.

A downside to the E36 chassis is that there is not a great deal of interior room. So if you are a large individual or need to transport a family this probably isn't the best option.

And you're probably not going to find a nice clean ///M coupe as pictured above for $10k unless it has uber-high miles and/or salvage title.

Last edited by Psychocndy; 02-24-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-24-13, 07:37 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Psychocndy
If you are considering moving to BMW because things are breaking and you are tired of getting them fixed then I would offer that BMW is probably not the best choice.

Unlike the Japanese brands that employ an engineering philosophy around quality and reliablity, the german automakers focus on performance. BMW will connect you with the road like no other car that I have driven. With that being said, if I hadn't learned to perform most of my own maintenance, my kids wouldn't be going to college, my 401k & HSA would be barren and my trailer would need fixed up.

If you do go BMW I would highly suggest purchasing one with their bulletproof inline -6 engine. It will outlast the car if properly maintained. The one weak point is the cooling system which is made of mostly plastic parts. But if you change your t-stat, waterpump, coolant overflow tank, etc. every 80-100k miles you should be good. Changing fluids in general with BMW is important. Oil changes wont be any easier as the filter is located directy on top of the engine bay. You should be able to do a full syth oil change for $50 with a mann/mahle filter. Also watch out for Vanos issues which used seals that don't always hold up well to the sythetic oil and heat. This is easily remedied with a replacement unit from dr. vanos.

I would disagree with the comment above suggestion you would be mad to consider an older BMW. Per BertL's experience, the newer models have significant reliability issues. I personally wouldn't own one 2006 or newer. I have tried the newer models, and went back to E36's and E46's to alleviate the bleed-my-wallet effect.

If you are definitely headed towards BMW, I would recommend considering a lower mileage, well-maintained 2004-05 330i. One withe the ZHP performance package will up the driving pleasure even more. The interior room on an E39 540 and E46 325/330 is not that different. Beware of some stock ZKW xenon lights that get too hot for the reflector plate, essentially melting it and causing a safety issue. I think this affected the ZHP's more than the other models. Replacement headlamps aren't cheap.

Really, really great post and advice. I couldn't agree more with everything said.
Old 02-24-13, 08:28 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your pockets are gonna cry. This is coming from a 5 Series owner.
Old 02-24-13, 10:09 AM
XBimR
Driver

Hanging owned 3 bmw's they are fine cars but out of warranty can be expensive. Find a good Indy mechanic for sure. Tires and brakes are expensive, but really it's the little things that will get you. Window regulators, random oil leaks, fit and finish items like the trim above the windshield peeling off (that you have to replace the windshield to fix! E90). Mechanically they are good, engine/tranny will last, but they use a lot of plastic (like in the water pumps) that lead to heat related failures down the road.

I did have decent luck with mine. But if you drive hard expect big bills. Typical was $1K per year per series (so 5 series $5K per year). Buy a 3 if you can. Don't buy one over 75K miles. If you can do the work yourself I've heard they are decent cars to work on, probably makes more sense.

Loved mine, but went gs350-4th once Lexus put out a car that felt as good on the road!
Old 02-24-13, 10:17 AM
XBimR
Driver

Originally Posted by MnM24
What's the differences between the 530 and the 540? Is it worth getting the 530 because it's one year younger?

Just for reference, what does a typical oil change cost at a dealer at a dealer or a motor works?
These years are similar cars, 530i was an 3L inline 6 and 540i is a v8. V8 more powerful but more maintenance. I had a 01 330i, plenty of power.

I will say my gs is plenty fast but the power in the Germans is different due to torque band coming on a lower rpm. I preferred that to having to rev but my new gs is way fast enough overall.

I would go with the lower mileage, or a 3 series.

Btw, these years were back when bmw model names made sense. Now the liters part doesn't line up (2013 328i has a 2.0L for example)
Old 02-24-13, 10:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

LMAO, you're complaining about a 99' RX300 and want go to an 01' BMW with no warranty. HAHAH, good luck! You will need it!

Quick Reply: BMW or Mercedes - 10K budget