Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 01:12 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

gotta love those 9 speed transmissions....LOL

Jeep Cherokees missing in action as thousands stack up at factory

The 2014 Jeep Cherokee rolled into the spotlight to much debate in February, with its angular looks boldly moving away from the slab-cut Cherokees of yore. First assembly began in July, and reviewers drove the cars in August and September. Yet today, weeks after it was expected to hit the market, there's not a single Cherokee up for sale in any Jeep dealership in America — despite at least 19,000 having been built.

A search of Chrysler's nationwide dealer inventory system shows nine Cherokees listed as "in transit" to dealers, a small break in a giant logjam; Chrysler's own data showed it had built 18,849 Cherokees at the plant in Toledo as of September 30, and production has continued since then. Chrysler has offered few specifics about the delay, saying it involved "powertrain calibration" issues and vowing that it would not let buyers have a half-baked SUV:

The 2014 Jeep Cherokee has an all-new nine-speed transmission, two new powertrains, three advanced four-wheel-drive systems and has undergone more than 14 million test miles in order to ensure the vehicle meets our highest quality standards. Once the latest powertrain calibration is validated, the company will be able to quickly update the powertrain software on Cherokees already built and ship vehicles to dealership around the country in quantity.

Complex may be an understatement. The nine-speed transmission, an industry first designed by German firm ZF but built by Chrysler at its own factory in Indiana, has been expected to see duty in many Chrysler front-wheel-drive models as a key part of the company's plan to meet future fuel efficiency standards. The electronics and chassis of the Cherokee come from a platform shared with Fiat. And because it's a Jeep, the Cherokee has not just a typical all-wheel-drive system for its four- and six-cylinder engines, but an optional off-roadable four-wheel-drive unit with trick pieces like a locking rear differential — all of which has to work seamlessly with software controls.

Automakers occasionally have bumpy launches; last year Ford had to ship thousands of Lincoln MKZ sedans from Mexico to Michigan for repairs after factory troubles. And such delays hit the bottom line directly; automakers don't book a sale until a car leaves the factory, and dealers get antsy when they don't have the vehicles they expected to sell. But the alternative — selling cars with known problems that then require customers to go back to the dealership a few months later — would only shift Chrysler's reputation into low gear.
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...192527121.html
Old 10-15-13, 01:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It really isn't the 9-speed itself that's causing the issue, but the software's interaction with the other parts in the drivetrain. Chrysler is using dogleg's in the drivetrain design; the transmission can make much more precise, repeatable actions in a given time frame whereas the doglegs that mate the transmission to the rest of the drivetrain cannot be controlled as precisely.

Apparently the original software wasn't allowing for wide enough tolerances, which was causing all of these driveability quirks.

Last edited by TangoRed; 10-15-13 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 02:36 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's actually a pretty cool suv. the look is so aggressive I kinda like it now.

but knowing chrysler, it's going to have to drop the prices down to crv rav4 prices. they are in a position to where they have to give up all their bottom line profits just to compete with it's equal rivals.

and as for the 9 speed. I'm not sure what they are doing there. the whole goal is to save gas right ? but the 8 speed that's in most of the chryslers now hardly make a difference. lexus and toyota are getting same mpg results on their 6 speeds with equivalent sized cars.
Old 12-03-13, 09:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This SUV looked very ugly to me but I saw a white Cherokee on the road yesterday.Maybe a higher end model but somehow it looked very nice in white,anyway..
Old 12-03-13, 09:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
This SUV looked very ugly to me but I saw a white Cherokee on the road yesterday.Maybe a higher end model but somehow it looked very nice in white,anyway..
base model looks horrible IMO....

Old 12-03-13, 09:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It definitely wasn't that base model.
That's horrible.

More this in white and it looked much nicer than this blue..

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-03-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-03-13, 10:25 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

They sold 10k of them in November. I love them, particularly in Trailhawk guise.

Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee-kwv6sjf.png

Old 12-03-13, 10:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
They sold 10k of them in November. I love them, particularly in Trailhawk guise.
that's the only model I would ever consider.....just not red...and w/the 3.2L only.

Last edited by bagwell; 12-03-13 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-03-13, 11:17 AM
LexFather

I was shocked to feel they didn't look that bad in person. Hell the Juke sells, why not this!

Old 12-03-13, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Compelling vehicle, edgy, modern, capable, tech laden. I hope they do well with this
Old 12-03-13, 04:36 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When people say to me that the 3IS is horrendously ugly, I always show them this vehicle. Then they say, "oh . . . nevermind."
Old 02-13-14, 11:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join me as I take a look at the all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee.
Want to know how child seats fit in Jeep's new crossover? This is the video for you.
Old 02-13-14, 12:39 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

it kinda has the techy, pontiac breaking bad look.

it usually takes chrysler heavy rebates and discounts to move their vehicles.

after discounts they start to be really appealing when comparing to competitors.

it usually equates to being able to get a bigger car for a midsize or compact price.
Old 02-13-14, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I was a huge detractor of the styling of this vehicle, but I will say it's growing on me a lot...
Old 02-13-14, 01:09 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

ya me to. it actually looks really cool now especially with that led drl at front.

for equal price I'd go with the asian competitors, for 4000 less I'd go for this. That's chrysler for you,

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I was a huge detractor of the styling of this vehicle, but I will say it's growing on me a lot...

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee