Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If you can get by the front and rear design.
Obviously yes styling is subjective, but it's merrits speak for themselves. But yes people are easily influenced by the presentation of a product myself included. But the way I see the new Cherokee is no different than people perplexed by the seperate LED DRLs on the 3IS.
Old 09-19-13, 12:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Obviously yes styling is subjective, but it's merrits speak for themselves. But yes people are easily influenced by the presentation of a product myself included. But the way I see the new Cherokee is no different than people perplexed by the seperate LED DRLs on the 3IS.
True H but that truck is ugleeeeeee.....
I saw it at the NY car show.
I do love the Grand Cherokee.
Old 09-19-13, 12:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you can get by the front and rear design.
me too. I'd buy a KIA over this thing in a second
Old 09-19-13, 12:42 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let me get this straight, there is the cherokee like this one and the cherokee laredo right ? for a lower cheaper option than the laredo it's not bad. I thought it replaced the laredo.

I actually like the somewhat awkward design, kinda like the pontiac aztec but that was way ahead of it's time. this cherokee just might be right this time.
Old 09-19-13, 01:02 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There is no cure for ugly. Watch sales tank and we'll see a mid model redesign within 2 years.
Old 09-19-13, 01:05 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Base Price:$26,495. As-Tested Price (in this article):$34,365

That's a lot of car for the money
Honestly, I am not so sure it's very much car for that amount of money, at all.

1) The base price of this car is $24,995. That is a tad rich compared to segment stalwarts like the CR-V and Escape, who both start under $23k and happen to be identified by Jeep as prime competitors. Furthermore, the model tested stickered for more than $34k and still had cloth interior and was a mid-level volume model. With all of that said, Jeep does consider the Cherokee to be a "midsize" vehicle even though it's specs and dimensions align it with CR-V and Escape as direct competitors. A bit of a conundrum...as it seems that a more optioned model (something optioned similarly to a CR-V EX-L or Escape Titanium) would approach or possibly exceed $40k.

2) It's pretty heavy - a curb weight for the as-tested model of 4,044 lbs is a solid 400-700 lbs more than competitors. Why is it so portly?

3) For a new nine speed transmission, the gas mileage is no better than other vehicles in the segment with six speed transmissions. I am not sure if the benefits of nine speeds are offset by the weight, but you have to wonder why the MPG figures are not more impressive.

4) It seems as if the Cherokee does offer more off road ability than competitors, and a very stout V6 engine. I am not quite sure how much off road ability appeals to crossover buyers, but with Nissan supposedly phasing out the X Terra, and the FJ Cruiser on it's way out, perhaps there is a unique market here.

5) I think the presence of some of these "premium" features like parallel park assist and laser cruise control is awesome and I applaud Jeep for making them available, however, the reality is that this will probably be sold on fewer than 10% of Cherokees.
Old 09-19-13, 01:07 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

its the 2nd coming of the Aztec...horrendous!
Old 09-19-13, 01:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Tantrix
let me get this straight, there is the cherokee like this one and the cherokee laredo right ? for a lower cheaper option than the laredo it's not bad. I thought it replaced the laredo.

I actually like the somewhat awkward design, kinda like the pontiac aztec but that was way ahead of it's time. this cherokee just might be right this time.
As far as I've seen there is no Laredo trim on the Cherokee (that's left for the Grand Cherokee).

The 2014 Cherokee is available in Sport, Latitude, Trailhawk, and Limited trims
Old 09-19-13, 01:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

True H but that truck is ugleeeeeee.....
I saw it at the NY car show.
I do love the Grand Cherokee.
X100

front end is horrible....its a huge deal breaker
Old 09-19-13, 01:16 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Honestly, I am not so sure it's very much car for that amount of money, at all.

1) The base price of this car is $24,995. That is a tad rich compared to segment stalwarts like the CR-V and Escape, who both start under $23k and happen to be identified by Jeep as prime competitors. Furthermore, the model tested stickered for more than $34k and still had cloth interior and was a mid-level volume model. With all of that said, Jeep does consider the Cherokee to be a "midsize" vehicle even though it's specs and dimensions align it with CR-V and Escape as direct competitors. A bit of a conundrum...as it seems that a more optioned model (something optioned similarly to a CR-V EX-L or Escape Titanium) would approach or possibly exceed $40k.

2) It's pretty heavy - a curb weight for the as-tested model of 4,044 lbs is a solid 400-700 lbs more than competitors. Why is it so portly?

3) For a new nine speed transmission, the gas mileage is no better than other vehicles in the segment with six speed transmissions. I am not sure if the benefits of nine speeds are offset by the weight, but you have to wonder why the MPG figures are not more impressive.

4) It seems as if the Cherokee does offer more off road ability than competitors, and a very stout V6 engine. I am not quite sure how much off road ability appeals to crossover buyers, but with Nissan supposedly phasing out the X Terra, and the FJ Cruiser on it's way out, perhaps there is a unique market here.

5) I think the presence of some of these "premium" features like parallel park assist and laser cruise control is awesome and I applaud Jeep for making them available, however, the reality is that this will probably be sold on fewer than 10% of Cherokees.
1. I misquoted the price. The base price lies with the lowest Sport trim at $22,995. This one seems to be the Latitude trim they quoted

2. Extra weight from the transfer case, 4WD system? Extra safety gear?

3. Probably the weight which is the reason for the not so stellar fuel economy. Though 9-Speeds is still something to brag about and will take the Honda CR-V another 34 years to even get to

4. That could go for any SUV though, 95% of the time they're never used for their intended purpose and end up as grocery getters and kid haulers though again it's nice to know you have power and capability

5. Maybe, but if people are option *****s like me well then load me up!

Many cool features on this car:
http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/cherokee...eep_cherry_red
Old 09-19-13, 06:42 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

OK I meant the grand cherokee.

no matter how weird this vehicle looks, it still looks better than the nissan murano. Xovers are suppose to look kinda quirky right ?

As far as I've seen there is no Laredo trim on the Cherokee (that's left for the Grand Cherokee).

The 2014 Cherokee is available in Sport, Latitude, Trailhawk, and Limited trims
Old 09-19-13, 07:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

with all the features listed - tech package, awd, v6, moonroof, car is $40k.

Isnt that a bit too much?

Also, it is literally Pontiac Aztec ugly... far worse than Tribeca.
Old 09-19-13, 09:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
with all the features listed - tech package, awd, v6, moonroof, car is $40k.

Isnt that a bit too much?

Also, it is literally Pontiac Aztec ugly... far worse than Tribeca.
Go price an Escape Titanium. Prices, even for the CUVs, have moved up. I disagree about its ugliness. Not only has it grown on me tons, but there was just no helping the Aztek. It was attractive from 0 angles.
Old 09-20-13, 06:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

rather get this for $31K
Attached Thumbnails Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 09-20-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-20-13, 06:55 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

"2) It's pretty heavy - a curb weight for the as-tested model of 4,044 lbs"

Doesn't sound heavy to me. my SC weight 3,800 lbs & my RX400h weight 4,600 lbs

But this thing look like a alien

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 / 2015 Jeep Cherokee