Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 06:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
That braking cuts engine power?
was smart stop actually installed in your car? I thought that was only some Toyota models. It also tries to be smart so it wont cause a situation where it takes away your power and causes crash, so there is a specific set of things that need for it to happen in order to work.. it basically tries to help if your gas pedal gets stuck and you are trying to hit brakes, not vice versa.
Old 03-03-15, 06:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. ever tried braking with your left foot? Dont on public roads!
Old 03-03-15, 06:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As an added measure of safety, Toyota created the braking system enhancement known as Smart Stop Technology. This advanced technology automatically reduces engine power when both pedals are pressed at the same time under certain conditions.

Smart Stop Technology intervenes when the accelerator is depressed first (Figure 1) and the brakes are applied firmly for longer than one-half second at speeds greater than five miles per hour. (Figure 2)

In normal driving conditions, you won’t notice Smart Stop Technology as it is imperceptible. The feature doesn’t engage if the brake pedal is depressed before the accelerator pedal. This allows for vehicles starting on a steep hill to safely accelerate without rolling backward (known as hill start).
from our thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-useful.html

but that was on new models.
Old 03-03-15, 06:23 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. ever tried braking with your left foot? Dont on public roads!
I did for years before I learned how to drive manual. Done correctly it's actually safer than using the right foot for both gas and brake. Reaction time can be quicker.

But once you've learned to operate a clutch, trying to go BACK to two-footed driving in an automatic can cause ejection of your passengers through the windshield.
Old 03-03-15, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
But once you've learned to operate a clutch, trying to go BACK to two-footed driving in an automatic can cause ejection of your passengers through the windshield.
Not for me. Since I first learned to drive in high school (late 60s), Though I wasn't terribly good at double-clutching or heel-and-toe downshifts (to save wear on the synchros), in general, I could hop in and drive almost anything, anytime, on four wheels, clutch or automatic, without any real problems (although cold carburation and finicky chokes could often be a PITA). But I was at home behind the wheel as a pig in mud

In the last ten years or so, though, as car electronics and video screens starting getting quite complex, it is still fairly easy to jump into a strange vehicle, buckle up, adjust seats/mirrors, and start the engine, but it sometimes takes a little practice for things like BMW's electronic console and stub-shifters, and, of course, navigating through video systems like I-Drive, MMI, and CUE.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-15 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 07:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I did for years before I learned how to drive manual. Done correctly it's actually safer than using the right foot for both gas and brake. Reaction time can be quicker.

my natural reaction is to brace myself when braking esp hard. Which means both of my feet will be pushing to the floor. If I use 2 feet, I'll end up driving through what I am trying to stop before
Old 03-03-15, 07:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
from our thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-useful.html

but that was on new models.

Thanks wolfie. This helps
Old 03-03-15, 07:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

my natural reaction is to brace myself when braking esp hard. Which means both of my feet will be pushing to the floor. If I use 2 feet, I'll end up driving through what I am trying to stop before
Is there a need to brace yourself when the belt/harness assembly is already doing that?
Old 03-04-15, 02:20 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That braking cuts engine power?
Yes but it is designed not do cut power at no speed, to allow brake-torque launch.
Old 03-04-15, 03:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not for me. Since I first learned to drive in high school (late 60s), Though I wasn't terribly good at double-clutching or heel-and-toe downshifts (to save wear on the synchros), in general, I could hop in and drive almost anything, anytime, on four wheels, clutch or automatic, without any real problems (although cold carburation and finicky chokes could often be a PITA). But I was at home behind the wheel as a pig in mud
Just to be clear--you easily transitioned from braking with your LEFT foot in an auto, to your RIGHT foot in a manual, and back to your LEFT foot in an auto, without any drama? Because that's what I was talking about.
Old 03-04-15, 04:23 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is there a need to brace yourself when the belt/harness assembly is already doing that?
Learnt driving and drove my teens and twenties without seat belts
Old 03-04-15, 04:25 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yes but it is designed not do cut power at no speed, to allow brake-torque launch.
It passed that test very well. Now...
Old 03-04-15, 05:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
if you are not in " 'Murika", why should you worry? Sit back, relax, have a good laugh and be thankful that you outside North America know how to drive cars, and can tell the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals.
love the superior attitude from someone in a country with less people than in california.

also, maybe you haven't seen the youtube videos of drivers in (name any country).
oh wait, did a youtube search on bad canadian drivers https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...an+bad+drivers
Old 06-01-15, 11:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Unintended acceleration happened to a Porsche Panamera yesterday at LAX.

All these stuff are all human errors, nothing wrong with any of the cars

Autonomous cars can't come fast enough!!
Attached Thumbnails Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash-150531-lax-porsche-crash-terminal.jpg  
Old 06-01-15, 05:54 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BNR34
To everyone, while it is second nature to us how a car works, I think there are tons of driver on the road really don't understand all the basic function of a car. I can see how if their gas pedal is stuck under the floor mat, they really have no clue what to do.

I really believe they have no clue how to or what "putting it into neutral" means.

So I think is more like they don't know how, is not that they can't do it.
Yea but the dispatcher specifically said it "won't" go in neutral, which means he tried. How does one try to get it in neutral and fail???? Makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited by Pamperme; 06-01-15 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash