Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler 100 hatchback caught cruising around Santa Monica

Old 02-21-13, 06:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Chrysler 100 hatchback caught cruising around Santa Monica

Chrysler 100 hatchback caught cruising around Santa Monica

A coming hatchback said to be called the Chrysler 100 has been caught on video traipsing around Santa Monica by Autoblog reader Zach Dillman. Still wearing the scrapyard assemblage of Alfa Romeo Giulietta body panels as it was when spy photographers began capturing it last summer, its arrival date is still a question mark: some outlets have reported that it will go on sale this year, others have said it won't be in showrooms until 2016.

In fact, quite a few questions remain. Based on Fiat's Compact US Wide (CUSW) platform that supports the Dodge Dart and expected to be about the same size, the 100 is thought to be a small premium hatchback that will be priced above the Dart and below the Chrysler 200, with the idea that it can challenge the Ford Focus and Hyunda Elantra at the value end and the Buick Verano and Acura ILX at the premium end. Word is that there will be no sedan version.

It looks like there'll be plenty of gewgaws inside, with buttons for Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning and a button to toggle the traction control.

Some rumors say the 100 will only get four-cylinder engines, other rumors suggest it could get a V6 to justify the premium aspirations and the price bump over the Dart, and an "E85 Only!" sticker spotted in one of the mules last summer has other rumormongers wondering if it will get a ethanol-capable version of a new powerplant that isn't the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6. It looks like there will be paddleshifters for getting through the gears, and front-wheel drive is the easy bet, all-wheel drive the long-shot shocker.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/c...-santa-monica/
Old 02-22-13, 10:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Here's what it (may?) look like when they take those ridiculious bras off....although the headlights seem somewhat different :

Old 02-22-13, 11:48 AM
Hoovey689

^^ Isn't that Chrysler a version of the Lancia Delta in Europe?
Old 02-23-13, 11:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^^ Isn't that Chrysler a version of the Lancia Delta in Europe?
Apparantly they are going to use the Italian-sourced Chrysler here too. I don't have any problem with that....the Dodge Dart, also from an Italian platform, though a little underpowered, is a pretty nice small car.

But it still may not be a rebadging, though, of the Delta. In the UK, that version is known as the Chrysler Yipsilon. In fact, I did a CAR CHAT thread on the Yipsilon several weeks ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-23-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-23-13, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Apparantly they are going to use the Italian-sourced Chrysler here too. I don't have any problem with that....the Dodge Dart, also from an Italian platform, though a little underpowered, is a pretty nice small car.

But it still may not be a rebadging, though, of the Delta. In the UK, that version is known as the Chrysler Yipsilon. In fact, I did a CAR CHAT thread on the Yipsilon several weeks ago.
That's it, I knew it looked familiar hah. Iirc we were the only two to post lol.

I do think this is a good move by Chrysler adding a premium hatch. Chrysler themselves I consider upscale borderline (not really) premium competing with the likes Hyundai which as also moved up with the Genesis and Equus and Azera. Chrysler is to Hyundai as Dodge is to Kia is the way I see it
Old 02-25-13, 09:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I do think this is a good move by Chrysler adding a premium hatch. Chrysler themselves I consider upscale borderline (not really) premium competing with the likes Hyundai which as also moved up with the Genesis and Equus and Azera. Chrysler is to Hyundai as Dodge is to Kia is the way I see it
Look at and drive a new Chrysler 300, and I think you'll definitely agree it's a premium, upscale sedan. The improvement in the new version over the one just a couple of years ago is enormous.

I did a full-review on the new SRT-8 300 (my CL end-of-year 2011 Holiday-Review), and, except for the somewhat dull 5-speed automatic, found that car to be quite an experience, inside and out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-25-13 at 09:30 AM.