Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB adding 30 new cars and Audi to double SUV range within 7 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-13, 01:43 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Meanwhile in Japan, 3 new models the next Seven years.....
HAHAHAHAHA. I like your response.

So darn true!
Old 02-20-13, 01:57 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I agree with wht silver surfer said,

Luxury cars are not as prestigious as they used to be. The push downmarket and lineup expansion is an example of dilution.

Bentley and lamborghini were coming out with SUVs. Lol?
Thanks! Im not as "seasoned" as a lot of folks on here but i am 37 and seen the last days of brands like MB, BMW, Jag being exclusive. The late 80's an 90's is when these brand were dominate with only a handful of models to go around. Some even had super rare models to boot. Nowadays, you MB competing with Honda, BMW going toe-to-toe with Hyundai, JAG is barley mentioned with luxury makes and Lexus is throwing down with everything that has wheels. There's no more separation in terms of branding. Soon every maker will be making all sorts of cars(Luxury,mainstream,utility,fleet,) all under one label. Hyundai is leading the charge imo.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 02-20-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 02:16 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hyundai is leading the charge imo.
That is precisely what i think is happening with Hyundai. They are so confused as to where they stand in the auto industry. They desperately try to tell consumers they're premium with the Equus and Genesis. But they aren't.

It is actually a sad time, when luxury brands are no more "luxurious" than their mainstream counterparts. Many of the features you used to find solely in luxury cars are now everywhere. Lane departure, self parking, heated/cooled seats, backup cameras, full leather interiors, spaciousness, navigation, even center console screens.

Everything i listed above can most likely be found in at least one mainstream car. People will argue that there is more "craftsmanship" in the luxury brands. But honestly, strip the badges, and redesign the interiors so that they are identical. Then tell me it is easy to find "craftsmanship".

Other than the badge, very little, imo, separates a fully loaded Avalon with a big S/7/LS.
Old 02-20-13, 02:27 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I see what you're exaggerating more than a bit with the Avalon vs. d-class luxury sedan comment. As far as technology goes... Of course you're seeing that happens now. Innovation moves on a much faster cycle than it used to and luxury car makers have to adapt. Even rolls had to dip down into a more lucrative market with the introduction of the Ghost.
Old 02-20-13, 02:58 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

So what then defines a luxury brand nowadays? Is it the label only? Is it just pricing? It cant be build quality because from what i heard the new Avalon is more solid than the new ES and both have just about the same features. The lines are blurred now and it dont seem like no ones trying to correct it imo. The LS series used to be nothing but luxury to me. Now it seems like its evolving into a giant sports sedan. I guess true luxury will only be had with makes like Rolls and Bently and even then you have hot-rod versions of them. Caddy, BMW, Lexus,MB, Jag, Audi all have their flagship cars leading the pack with a sports-oriented flare to them. Even Lincoln and Buick ditched the comfy sedan arena.....end rant. Sorry Mods, ill get back on topic. :-)
Old 02-21-13, 11:41 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
So what then defines a luxury brand nowadays?
How many times you get mentioned in a rap song. In the 80s, it was Benzes and Caddys. Then Biggie mentioned the LX. I'm waiting for the first reference to an Equus.
Old 02-21-13, 12:32 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
How many times you get mentioned in a rap song. In the 80s, it was Benzes and Caddys. Then Biggie mentioned the LX. I'm waiting for the first reference to an Equus.
I wouldnt be suprised to hear the Equus get mentioned in a rap song down the line if they're still around in a couple of year. Also, generations of today idea of luxury will 19' rims, suspension of an ISF, carbon-fiber interior, and a under powered hybrid drivetrain.
Old 02-21-13, 05:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely ridiculous . I guess Mercedes has a very selective memory, and they forgot what they did just years ago. They had a bloated lineup, and they reduced the number of models they had which was the logical thing to do. Now Mercedes is expanding and bloating the lineup again?
Old 02-22-13, 04:50 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I wouldnt be suprised to hear the Equus get mentioned in a rap song down the line if they're still around in a couple of year. Also, generations of today idea of luxury will 19' rims, suspension of an ISF, carbon-fiber interior, and a under powered hybrid drivetrain.
I still like to roll in my 98 Oldsmobile