Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Japan Car Sales Ranking

Old 02-20-13, 04:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't want to get too far off-topic here, but the real question at GM, as I see it, is why they kept the whole GMC Truck-division. All it consists of is a bunch of rebadged Chevy trucks and SUVs, with minor trim/equipment differences at most. It is, IMO, an almost complete waste of a whole division.....and vastly increases costs for nothing.
There's validity in that and I won't argue.

The way I see it though at least from their point of view is the engineering is already done. All they do is throw on some new sheet metal and up the price for a Denali hah.

It's the people that buy them that makes me go
Old 02-20-13, 07:13 PM
LOLM3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
When I was in Tokyo I saw LS600's everywhere. (Many of them were chauffer-driven by tiny guys squished to the front with the driver seat pushed far ahead to maximize their boss's legroom. )
I noticed that too when I was there last summer and I was even driven around in a Celsior Taxi it was pretty cool
Old 02-21-13, 08:58 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

What is the Lexus SC2 at the bottom of the list?
Old 02-21-13, 09:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kira X
What is the Lexus SC2 at the bottom of the list?
Hehe, it simply means that only 2 units of the Lexus SC430 were sold for the entire year 2012
Old 02-22-13, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There's validity in that and I won't argue.

The way I see it though at least from their point of view is the engineering is already done. All they do is throw on some new sheet metal and up the price for a Denali hah.
That's just it...is isn't even new sheet metal (though there may be some very minor differences). For the most part, it's just trim and equipment.

That's one reason why Ford got rid of Mercury....simply too much overlap and too little differences in their products, though I was personally sorry to see Mercury go (I thought that some of their products had better trim/interiors than Ford).

And at Chrysler, they only sell actual trucks under the Dodge nameplate, though the Chrysler division, of course, also sold upscale rebadged Dodge minivans (Town & Country) for years. But, with Fiat ownership now, even that may soon be coming to an end.