Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 Chevrolet SS

Old 11-16-14, 11:30 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Never cared to much for the SS.
Old 11-16-14, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So underwhelming IMO. Looks too plebeian, I wish it was more muscular looking, similar to the latest Charger. This just doesn't look that part even though I performs nicely.
Old 11-16-14, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So underwhelming IMO. Looks too plebeian, I wish it was more muscular looking, similar to the latest Charger. This just doesn't look that part even though I performs nicely.
Since you get to see and sample so many models, have you had a chance to drive one yet? While the one I test-drove on my review was not as brute-force-quick as the C63 and E63 AMG sedans I sampled, it only cost about half as much. For the money, I thought, was a bargain, though the competing Charger, in some versions, offers similar power for even less money.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-16-14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-17-14, 01:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Since you get to see and sample so many models, have you had a chance to drive one yet? While the one I test-drove on my review was not as brute-force-quick as the C63 and E63 AMG sedans I sampled, it only cost about half as much. For the money, I thought, was a bargain, though the competing Charger, in some versions, offers similar power for even less money.
The old G8 GXP yes and latest Charger SRT8 i've sat in and revved a few times. This latest SS has the magnetic ride control which the G8 did not have, I'm sure it handles superbly. Never said it wasn't a bargain, saying its looks don't match it's bite.
Old 11-17-14, 10:29 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

I've probably said this here before but I think they should've swapped the Impala and SS designs. I think they SS design better suites the Impala drivetrain.
Old 11-17-14, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I've probably said this here before but I think they should've swapped the Impala and SS designs. I think they SS design better suites the Impala drivetrain.
The new Impala was not meant to be a sports sedan, but, nevertheless it does a superb job of combining ride and handling....one of the best combinations of the two I've seen this side of a BMW 5-series, especially for FWD. The SS is RWD for the same reason the Charger is....to bring back the spirit of 1960s-vintage mid-to-full-size RWD muscle cars. (though, of course, the Charger, unlike the SS, also offers an AWD option).
Old 11-17-14, 02:25 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SS is one of the best things to come out of America..............and Australia
Old 12-26-14, 01:16 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chris Harris Says HSV Maloo GTS is One of the Coolest Cars on the Planet

While on holiday in Australia, Chris Harris couldn’t stay away from cars and decided to test drive the wildest ute on sale there, the HSV Maloo GTS.

Powered by a 577hp 6.2-liter supercharged V8 sourced from the Holden HSV Gen-F GTS sedan, the HSV Maloo GTS is a great car to drive, thanks first and foremost to the huge amount of torque the V8 produces: 740 Nm or 545 lb-ft.

Harris also found the super ute surprisingly balanced on track given that the rear axle hasn’t got much weight pushing it against the ground. Of course, like most of his reviews, this one contains a lot of drifting – but who wouldn’t do that with a RWD super ute?

Scroll down to find out what else he had to say about the HSV Maloo GTS.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/12/chr...ts-is-one.html
Old 12-26-14, 01:17 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Walkinshaw tunes the HSV GTS to 680 bhp

Walkinshaw Performance has introduced their new W507 package for the HSV GTS and Maloo GTS.

Designed to give the cars plenty of extra kick, the package includes a cold air intake, a cat back exhaust system, ceramic coated headers and an upgraded pulley. There's also an optimized ECU, decals and a certificate of authenticity.

The package costs $7,990 AUD ($6,566 USD / €5,248) and enables the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V8 engine to develop 689 PS (680 bhp / 507 kW) and 850 Nm (626 lb-ft) of torque.

According to Walkinshaw General Manager Tony Harris, “This is the best engineered package we have ever produced. It feels incredibly powerful, even more than the 507kW indicated, and that is due to how each component in the package has been designed to complement each other.”
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11412178...-680-bhp-video
Old 02-16-15, 06:51 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default HSV Senator SV special edition launched in Australia with visual tweaks & V8 LS3

Limited to 52 cars

Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) has taken the wraps off the Senator SV special edition which comes with an array of tweaks.

Based on the Senator Signature, the new limited-run model gets unique 20-inch SV Rapier five-spoke forged alloy wheels featuring a Dark Stainless finish combined with a pitch black look for the grille surround, mirror caps, fender vents, door surrounds, spoiler and badging. The four exhaust tips have received chrome tips while inside the cabin there are "Senator SV" sill plates, individually numbered plaque and HSV performance seats wrapped in Onyx leather.

Motivation is provided by an LS3 V8 6.2-liter engine developing 462 HP (340 kW) and 420 lb-ft (570 Nm) channeled to the wheels through a standard six-speed manual gearbox or an optional (without paying extra) six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and Active Select. The HSV Senator SV also gets AP Racing forged four-piston brake calipers, Magnetic Ride Control suspension as well as an array of gizmos like Driver Preference Dial and Enhanced Driver Interface (EDI).

It will be offered in four exterior paint hues (Heron, Phantom, Prussian Steel and Nitrate), with availability limited to 50 units for Australia and 2 for New Zealand. Production is set to kick off later this month and those interested will have to pay at least the 83,990 AUD starting price.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502168...australia-with
Old 02-17-15, 04:50 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Is The Chevy SS Getting A Camaro 1LE-Like Handling Upgrade?

According to Motor Trend, the engineers at Chevrolet have a hankerin' to dial in some more handling to the SS sedan. Apparently they've already mapped out what it would take to give the car the same handling upgrade that's been created for the Camaro 1LE (the two cars share a Zeta platform after all). This includes a move to a square stance for the tires, different dampers, and a rejigging of the suspension.

More importantly, those same engineers say they can make the upgrade in just three to six months. Good news, right? Well, sure if you think it's actually going to happen.

If you've paid attention to the saga of the SS, you'll know that Chevrolet likes to pretend to care about it. The engineers certainly love the car, and so do enthusiasts. It's the higher ups that need to have a desire for it to succeed, however, and that's not going to happen. Yes, they added a manual and magnetic ride for 2015, but that was just a way to stir up a bit more attention and desire for a car amongst a niche buying group before they shutter the thing (production at the car's Australian plant ends in 2017).

At the most recent Chicago Auto Show, you could get a look at the latest SS... if you walked to the far corner of the booth, and didn't mind that you were over near a row of vending machines. Oh, and basically in the dark since the lighting was awful back there. It was as if they made room for it simply because they had to but definitely not because they wanted to.

We'd love nothing more than for a car like this to flourish. It's a super-sleeper sedan with a V-8, rear-wheel drive, and you can have it with a manual if you desire. It checks a lot of boxes... for not a lot of people.

Don't hold your breath for a 1LE package SS fans*.

(*We'd love to be wrong about this)
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ndling-upgrade
Old 02-17-15, 10:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

They could give it 700 horsepower and all the goodies no one else has, but it will be for nothing because of the plain wrapper. Must address the styling if they want the car to flourish.
Old 02-21-15, 06:16 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

After spending some quality time with the SS at the auto show this week, I'm 99% certain it will be replacing my wife's RX, and she'll inherit the 335d. Very comfortable and spacious, good static feel to the 6MT; When you combine that with the drivetrain and handling as reported in the mags, it's a winning combination. MY15 order window closed last week, MY16 order window opens in August, so I'll probably be looking at a Jan/Feb 2016 delivery.
Old 02-21-15, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
After spending some quality time with the SS at the auto show this week, I'm 99% certain it will be replacing my wife's RX, and she'll inherit the 335d. Very comfortable and spacious, good static feel to the 6MT; When you combine that with the drivetrain and handling as reported in the mags, it's a winning combination. MY15 order window closed last week, MY16 order window opens in August, so I'll probably be looking at a Jan/Feb 2016 delivery.
Congratulations. I don't think you will be disappointed. I did a review of an SS last year (though I had to do it in two parts and combine them). Very impressive car. And it has something that you will rarely find on most new vehicles today, unless they are trucks or off-road SUVs.....a REAL spare tire option, though the option is not cheap.
Old 08-05-15, 08:00 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 Chevrolet SS is almost like an inside joke; enthusiasts will recognize it immediately and get the punch line, but everyone else will just think it’s a Malibu. However, this sedan isn’t just a great car, it’s a future classic and here’s why.