Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-13, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
http://www.acura.com/future/RLX#9

RLX $48,450
RLX with Navigation $50,950
RLX with Technology Package $54,450
RLX with Krell Audio Package $56,950
RLX with Advance Package $60,450

They're out of their freakin minds.
Maybe partly out of their minds, not totally. I agree it is probably overpriced, especially with standard FWD. But that just means that, like the last RL, it will probably sell at big discounts from low demand and over-supply.
Old 02-17-13, 10:09 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sticker on my 2013 GS 350 AWD with the Luxury Package was around $59,000. I don't see why the RLX, with FWD, costs nearly the same. I don't have a problem with the bland styling. I think everything in the mid-sized luxury class is generally boring to look at.
Old 02-18-13, 05:19 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that not having the SH-AWD standard any more is a step backward.....along with the new car's (seemingly) less-solid construction. But, in fairness, Acura may be trying to increase the car's potential outside of bad-weather areas. And, not to unfairly diss Lexus (this is CAR CHAT, but primarily in a Lexus forum), but you won't find any non-SUV Lexus sedans (or even a base RX350) with standard AWD either...it is an option. Even on the LS460 flagship (though the LS600h, with its rear-axle electric motors, is technically AWD), base versions are RWD.
SH-AWD was their big thing before, trying to position themselves as an alternative to Audi, and apparently that's out the window now too. The Lexus ES starts below $40k. Not sure what this car has to justify a nearly $10k higher starting price. It can rain for months at a time where I live. With RWD I can run just about as hard in the wet as I can in the dry. I still remember having to baby my old FWD cars in the wet constantly, and that was with only 200ish hp.

With all the money Acura has pissed straight down the toilet messing around with fancy SH-AWD systems, "P-AWS" now, and other failed cars like the ZDX, last RL, this RLX (writing is on the wall), they could have just developed a mid/large-sized RWD platform that would have more appeal and perform better. And enough with the bland to flat out ugly styling! People don't buy ugly cars. That's costing them hundreds of thousands of sales too. And the half-assed turbo motor with 8:1 compression and port injection that's now suddenly discontinued... Oh God I'd better stop now, because I feel another Honda/Acura tirade coming on.
Old 02-18-13, 10:42 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I could never justify buying an Acura for their prices (and they don't discount much). I've looked at numerous cars with prices in the $50K range and for example the MDX is price higher than the RX350?? (I always thought, for an Acura?) Their cars are nothing more than a fancy rebadge of Hondas with different cosmetics and a bit better tech. -- I always say, ""dam, you can buy a a Nice Lexus for $50K range and they discount too and its a better and more reliable car.."" The Acura people just stare at me like deer in headlights as I walk out the door." Why is Acura so lame, trying to be something their not, Granted Hondas are good reliable everyday cars but can not compete in the Luxury arena.. Especially their service is nothing close to Lexus, they don't even give you a loaner when you come in and that practice is okay to price cars in the $60K's with no special service except to wait in the waiting room or being shuttled to work.. lol (Nothing wrong with Honda/Acura making good/great everyday cars but doesn't mean they can enter the Ring with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW etc, just because they raise the price.)
Old 02-18-13, 12:21 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 60 thousand dollar all wheel drive Accord!! Wow!! just.............................Wow!!
Old 02-18-13, 02:09 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
A 60 thousand dollar all wheel drive Accord!! Wow!! just.............................Wow!!
Its not even AWD drive anymore, its FWD w/ AWS ( 4 wheel Steering only not drive) $60k for less car.. yes WOW!
Old 02-18-13, 04:03 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Especially their service is nothing close to Lexus, they don't even give you a loaner when you come in and that practice is okay to price cars in the $60K's with no special service except to wait in the waiting room or being shuttled to work.. lol
Depends on the dealership I think. I see plenty of Acura service loaners in my area. Same with BMW dealerships. BMWUSA doesn't guarantee you a loaner and leaves it up to dealerships to figure out their own loaner program. Competitive area here in the DC area so most dealerships have very well stocked loaner fleets, but that's not always the case in less competitive areas.

But yeah..... $60k for an Accord and it's *NOT* even AWD anymore!!! EPIC FAIL
Old 02-18-13, 08:10 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

relax. AWD is coming later
Old 02-19-13, 05:23 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
The point is, the entire concept of a FWD "flagship" for a "luxury" brand is laughable. Nissan barely gets away with it on the Maxima, and they're decidedly downmarket as a brand from where Acura believes they are (they certainly don't entertain this nonsense with their Infiniti brand). Come to think of it, I'd take a Max over this in a heartbeat. If you're going to be stuck with a FWD V6, may as well save twenty grand and get something that doesn't look boring as hell.

FWD should not even be available, especially not at these prices.
Old 02-19-13, 05:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
and for another what...$3K -$4K?
The car is way overpriced already.
AWD should be standard and in that car now.
Old 02-19-13, 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The point is, the entire concept of a FWD "flagship" for a "luxury" brand is laughable. Nissan barely gets away with it on the Maxima, and they're decidedly downmarket as a brand from where Acura believes they are (they certainly don't entertain this nonsense with their Infiniti brand). Come to think of it, I'd take a Max over this in a heartbeat. If you're going to be stuck with a FWD V6, may as well save twenty grand and get something that doesn't look boring as hell.

LOL. acura has always done its own thing and has never had rwd at all, and frankly tons of people don't care about awd or rwd for that matter... witness tons of ES sales for example. yes the ES isn't a flagship, but to say the RLX should not even be available as FWD is laughable to me.

regardless, like all here i don't think it's going to sell very well, but i don't buy the 'rule' that a flagship has to be rwd/awd. the autoweek video certainly showed the rear wheel steering counteracts the typical fwd under steer to a good degree. and there's benefits such as space efficiency.

but a non-enthusiast looking for a cushy luxurious sedan with great rear seat room may consider the rlx, along with vehicles like the ES, the toyota avalon, the cadillac XTS and maybe a top-line buick and lincoln too.
Old 02-19-13, 08:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL. acura has always done its own thing and has never had rwd at all, and frankly tons of people don't care about awd or rwd for that matter... witness tons of ES sales for example. yes the ES isn't a flagship, but to say the RLX should not even be available as FWD is laughable to me.

regardless, like all here i don't think it's going to sell very well, but i don't buy the 'rule' that a flagship has to be rwd/awd. the autoweek video certainly showed the rear wheel steering counteracts the typical fwd under steer to a good degree. and there's benefits such as space efficiency.

but a non-enthusiast looking for a cushy luxurious sedan with great rear seat room may consider the rlx, along with vehicles like the ES, the toyota avalon, the cadillac XTS and maybe a top-line buick and lincoln too.
well it shouldnt be available as FWD at $60k for sure.

I doubt many buyers will cross-shop RLX and ES as the difference in pricing is too big.
Old 02-19-13, 09:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Caddy XTS is selling about 2,000 cars per month which shows there is a market for a pricey FWD/AWD car.

Not a big market, so like others, I doubt that it will be a big seller but certainly better than the late RL.
Old 02-19-13, 09:33 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
and for another what...$3K -$4K?
The car is way overpriced already.
AWD should be standard and in that car now.
It will a lot more than $3K-$4K since it will employ that ubber hybrid tech with three electric motors, 7 speed dual clutch and some other features. In the best case scenario you are looking around $7k difference and of course there is always a possibility that it will come only in upper trims and no base trim like regular one.
Old 02-19-13, 10:26 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
The point is, the entire concept of a FWD "flagship" for a "luxury" brand is laughable.

Let's not forget that Audi sells the FWD A8 in europe.

Acura brought along the E and 5 to compare, which are typically bought by middle aged guys who have 60k to spend.
That's their target market, not you 3-series, IS-driving young folks.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura RLX